Wild Western: The Legend of Johnny Smokers #1

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #24!

DateThe Legend of Johnny Smokers #1ViewRead the...
04/09/15The Beginning(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
MViolence- guns, knives, teeth and claws

The Appaloosa meandered slowly along the trail, its rider sitting straight in the saddle. He had his hat pulled low over his eyes to shade from the setting sun, and was slowly rolling a cigarette for the end of a long day. The last few nights, something had been tearing the cattle apart, eight or nine heads at a time. They’d heard wolves from that general direction, but the animals were gone by the time they got there, and the tracks they found were nothing they could explain.

His men had quit on him earlier in the week over bogus pay disputes, so each night he had moved the small herd closer and closer to the ranch. His wife’s brothers had been helping him out, but they went home just before sundown. Or they went, anyway. They were good men, but he had never really been sure of their ways.

He tamped the cigarette on the saddle horn a few times, then lit up and took a long drag. He held it for a moment, savoring the taste, then exhaled slowly. The smoke hung heavy with the lack of wind, hugging the curve of his face to the back of his head, then sinking along the line of his duster until it seemed to blend with the gray-and-white coat of his horse, seeping around the black, leopard-like spots like water around rocks. He reached down and rubbed the horse’s neck lightly. “Almost home, Graycloud.”

The horse tossed its head and snorted lightly. Then it stopped dead still and pricked its ears up. “What is it, boy?” The horse snorted again and pawed the ground uneasily. The rider said, “Ho, Graycloud, calm down.” He reached to pat the horse again, but then a scream rang out. Horse and rider both tensed, and the rider said, “Maria?” He heard the snarl of wolves and then another scream. “Maria!” he shouted, and Graycloud was running before he could get spurs into the horse’s sides.

The wind kicked up as they rode, and by the time they covered the short distance to the ranch, it was pushing a full blown dust storm ahead of them, making it hard to see the house from the road in. He could just make out the porch ahead of them, the silhouette of his wife struggling with someone much bigger than her, and…were there more? Was that a man walking towards the house, from across the field? Where were the children? He wasn’t sure, for the storm. Then Maria screamed again, and he didn’t have time to worry about it.

Graycloud charged the house, ran alongside the porch, and the rider leapt from the saddle, losing his hat and hooking Maria’s attacker around the neck, throwing both of them to the porch floor. The rider hit the porch on his back, taking the brunt of the fall, but the attacker snarled and rolled with the fall, rolling off the end of the porch. “Johnny!” Maria shouted, terror in her voice. Johnny looked up at his wife, then his eyes got wide, and he drew a pistol and fired just beyond her, catching an attacker in the shoulder at the other end of the porch, spinning it backwards, out into the dust storm.

“What the hell is that thing?” he shouted, drawing his other pistol. Maria didn’t have time to answer before another crashed through the roof of the porch, landing between them. It looked down on Johnny, who was still on his back, and all Johnny could do was stare. This creature stood like a man, but its body was covered in fur, its hands and feet ended in claws, it had the head of a wolf, and something hung from its neck that looked like Indian beadwork. It breathed heavily as it growled, and when it took a step towards Johnny, Maria screamed. The creature moved swiftly, swinging backwards without looking, knocking Maria away. She bounced off of the cabin wall and fell forward, landing hard on the porch, her long black hair falling over her face.

“Maria!” shouted Johnny, and he unloaded several shots into the gut of the creature, knocking it backwards until it stumbled over Maria and fell backwards off of the porch, one leg still propped on the porch. Johnny moved then, starting to scramble towards Maria, when something snarled and grabbed his ankle. He was startled, but he twisted quickly and put two bullets in the head of the wolf that had rolled off his end of the porch, knocking it into the obscurity of the dust storm again. He got to his feet, and took two steps before the front door exploded outwards, and he found himself just a few feet from another creature. It was snarling, fangs and fur dripping with blood, and then he saw something that chilled his blood. It was holding… Johnny sobbed involuntarily, frozen in place by the horror of it.

...he shot the beast again and again...

He didn’t move when the wolf gripped the doorframe and began to crouch. His breath caught in his chest as he stared at the growling beast, blood running from its chin. They locked eyes for a long moment, until the beast’s ears laid back on its head. When it’s lips curled, Johnny snapped back to himself with a scream and he shot the beast again and again, backing it into the house with each shot, until he was standing in the doorway, pulling the triggers on empty chambers, still screaming as much in anger as in horror. Once his breath ran out, his scream died.

Slowly, he lowered his guns, focusing only on the fallen wolf, because he was afraid to look into the cabin. He trembled as he took a step backwards, back out onto the porch, and then another. He reached to his belt for a bullet, and began reloading. He had one reloaded and three in the chambers of the second gun when he heard a low growl.

Next Issue: Stranger in the Storm.-
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #24.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
Read more Wild Western:Wild Western Roundup
OC Names:
CharactersCharacters
  • Graycloud
  • Johnny
  • Maria
  • unnamed children (2)
  • unnamed man in storm
  • unnamed werewolves (4)
Comic Characters used in this fic:
CompanyLocationsTeams
Non-Fiction:
  • -
Public Domain
  • -
Picture Credits:
PictureCredit

The Gunslinger, from Marvel's adaptation of Stephen King's novel. This was one of two pictures given for story inspiration for CCC #24. I gave it a black border using MS Paint.
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #072

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
About this story

I lifted some pics from Marvel's adaptation of Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Stephen King for the inspiration for CCC 24's hero and villain. So, I tweaked my original idea for Johnny Smokers just a little bit to better fit the pictures. Ever since (it's now Dec 4, 2021) I've gone back-and-forth about tweaking this story back to the original idea. Still undecided. Worse, I have no idea where I want it to after these four chapters. Still thinking about it now and again.

Thanks for reading.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: Oh wow, it's like you knew about the plague of lycans infesting this group before anyone else did. Call me out for the next one please

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

hmmmm very nice hope the horse is safe and sound. Nobody messes with the horse....just sayin.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: In the original contest version, I had said what the werewolf was holding, but I decided it was too in-your-face. Johnny thinks about them in passing, and then doesn't have time to think about it anymore when he leaps off of his horse. Maria was on the porch, so inside must have been...?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: To clarify: in the original version, the wolf from inside had killed Johnny's children. I often post my contest entries under deadline pressure, and am not quite happy with them. In this case, the death of the children was a little too graphic for my personal taste. Yes, I'm going to imagine how they died, but that doesn't mean I have to describe it to the readers. So I edited it down to leave it to the readers' imaginations. Those who remembered me mentioning the children could put 2+2 together. Those who didn't could read on a little less horrified. Plus, by not saying if both children died, I could contrive a way that one of them survived, if I were so inclined (I'm currently not, but you never know what might come up in the future). ;)

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Enjoyed this, looking forward to the rest. I immediately assumed the wolf was holding one of the children, so your intent worked for me.

Boy, I just finished listening to "Island of Dr. Moreau" then come back into the Wild Western and find more beast-people. Like Prendick, I'm starting to see that savage gleam in every eye... :>

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wim_garnet: Glad to know it worked. I'm always a little nervous about making changes. :)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

Shot up to the top!

I miss the Wild Western...

onto 2

cbishop

Forum Posts