Time Share: The Time Phantom Interview, Part 3

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #47!

DateTime Share: The Time Phantom InterviewViewRead the...
01/20/17Part 3(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer

This story was inspired by the beautiful paintings of Andreas Englund, shown throughout.

RatingRating ExplanationLast Issue:
MMild cursing, talk about drug use and addiction, violence, death.Part 2
It was one of those days.
It was one of those days.

"It was one of those days. First it was ninjas. Then I had to fight some freakishly preserved Nazi fused with his plane- The Luftwaffan, or The Blitzkrieger, or something- who thought he was fighting the same Time Phantom from World War II. Of course he wants to dogfight, so I had to fly. The height was terrifying. The fight was brutal. Between moments, I went back in time and got high as crud, and came back. I only meant to take the edge off, but I overdid it. By the time we were done, I was exhausted and coming down, but still pretty torn up.

"So of course Rollergirl calls me on the CB, and has a list for the grocery store. I was too tired to argue, and figured I could use the time to straighten my head out before I got home. We had taught our daughter not to acknowledge me when she saw me in costume, but my head still wasn't clear when I came out with the two bags in my arms. I grinned my big dumb daddy grin, and called out, 'Hey, pumpkin!' That was all it took for her- she hollered 'Daddy!' and came running across the parking lot. Clementine came running after her, trying to catch her before anyone realized who she was running to." John pauses, chest heaving with the thoughts.

the chain gun...unfolded from the side of the car.
the chain gun...unfolded from the side of the car.

"I was--" he falters, then sobs. "I was so messed up from the pills and blow that I had done during the fight, that this break from our protocol rattled me. One of the sacks slipped from my arms, breaking the eggs, and spilling the containers of milk and ice cream from the bag. I dropped my keys trying to catch it, and the keyfob hit the pavement, causing the chain gun to--" He sobbed again, then bent over the podium shuddering as he cried openly. "It unfolded from the side of the car," he said a bit muffled from not speaking directly into the mic.

He stood up suddenly, trying to regain his composure, and cracked the edge of the podium in his grip. The shock from the surprise of it jolted him from his tears. He was speechless for a few moments as he looked at the broken podium, then looked back at the group. He stood up straight, took a few deep breaths, and then said, "I bent over with the other bag still in my arm, and picked up my keys." He looked at his right hand as if his keys were still there, between his forefinger and thumb. "I reached for the ice cream, and my thumb... mashed the button for the chain gun." A couple of short cries went up from the group.

In the room, Time Phantom was doubled over against his legs, face buried in his hands. Breathy sobs were all that broke the silence.

"They were cut down in an instant." The room was silent. John rolled his lips between his teeth as he thought of what happened next.

I lost it...Wartime...had to...chase me through time...
I lost it...Wartime...had to...chase me through time...

"I lost it. I went back and tried to save them. Over, and over, and over again. I created so many divergent timelines trying to keep them from dying; I screwed up history so bad; that Wartime- frickin' Wartime- had to get a group of heroes together and chase me through time to stop me and fix history. And they did. Which meant that I didn't get to save Rollergirl and my daughter," he said with a hollow stare towards the back of the room.

"With Wartime's help, they held me in one time, and I went to rehab for real. I've been clean ever since, and have dedicated what's left of my life to honoring the memory of my wife and daughter- being the hero I should have been all along." There was brief applause for that, but John waved it down.

"This past Sunday was the anniversary of their deaths, and like always, I traveled back in time to see them. I always go to a time when they're at the playground, so I can see them from afar without them seeing me." He swallowed hard as he remembered them.

And then I saw her, but not quite her...
And then I saw her, but not quite her...

"Only this time, something happened. Something interfered. And rather than going to another time, I went to another universe. Maybe one of those I created when I screwed up history- I don't know- maybe Wartime didn't fix everything. But what did I see? A younger, dumber version of me, making all the same mistakes." John shook his head sadly.

"And then I saw her, but not quite her- her hair wasn't dyed, and her muscle car was a different color, doing a wheelie as it flew by on the street. I helped my younger self fight Volcanono- an altered version of Viceroy Volcano- and then we went back to his house to discuss how this happened."

Clementine!
Clementine!

John shrugged kind of helplessly, and said, "I'm old. I needed to go to the bathroom, so I asked if I could use theirs. Younger me, who called himself Sky Phantom- apparently he had no problem with flying- pointed down the hall and stumbled off to the kitchen. I went down the hall, and went into the wrong room." He took a deep breath, and said, "And there she was. Her back to me. Black hair instead of blonde. And naked. My breath caught and I gasped, 'Clementine!' She looked over her shoulder at me, and I was so stunned- so shocked by her being back- being so close to me- that it threw me back across the universal divide. Back home."

Time Phantom looked at the interviewer off camera, and just raised his eyebrows, acknowledging the outlandishness of it all with a look.

"I have never wanted to get high more than that moment," said John. "So I have been at meetings every day since, just talking my head off like this. I want to go back and see her. I want to help Sky Phantom to not go down the path that I have. But mostly, I really want to get high. So for now, I'm here." His eyes searched the cracked podium for a few moments, and the room was silent. "I'm here," he said again, and then, "Thank you."

I'm here. That's all I've got right now. I'm here.
I'm here. That's all I've got right now. I'm here.

The group applauded.

"I'm here," he said to the interviewer. "That's all I've got right now." He took a drag on his cigarette, and nodded. "I'm here."

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #47.

Story and characters owned by Chris Bishop, copyright 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:

Time Phantom was used with Time_Phantom's permission. The Hitman was used with TommytheHitman's permission. Bump In the Night is based on my own alt BumpInTheNight.

Characters:
  • Clementine (I) (Rollergirl)
  • Clementine (II) (daughter)
  • Clementine (III) (alt universe Clementine [I])
  • John Phantom (Time Phantom; The Ghost Who Walks Through Time)
  • The Luftwaffan (Blitzkrieger, The)
  • Sky Phantom (alt timeline Time Phantom)
  • unnamed interviewer
  • Viceroy Volcano
  • Volcanono (alt timeline Viceroy Volcano)
  • Wartime
Objects:
  • Rollergirl's car
  • Time Phantom's car
Teams:
  • Ninjas
  • Time Phantom Legacy
Picture Credits:
Pictures:Credit:
Andreas Englund:

This story was inspired by the beautiful paintings of Andreas Englund. Paintings used with permission. There are a few times that I used the close-ups rather than the full painting, because it worked well with the story. Check out Andreas Englund's site!

Time Phantom, Clementine/Rollergirl, Clementine II, Clementine III, The Three Kings, and Sky Phantom were all created based off of what I saw in paintings of the "aging superhero," by Andreas Englund. The character names are mine, but the paintings are his.

"It was one of those days."

"Sunday," by Andreas Englund.

"the chain gun...unfolded from the side of the car."

"Shopping," by Andreas Englund.

"I lost it...Wartime...had to...chase me through time..."

"Fight," by Andreas Englund.

"And then I saw her, but not quite her..."

"Wheelie," by Andreas Englund.

"Clementine!"

"Naked Back," by Andreas Englund.

"I'm here. That's all I've got right now. I'm here."

"Sitting," by Andreas Englund.

CCC #47 comments for Time Share:

My vote goes to cbishop who should write on a more regular basis :)

batkevin74

cbishop Got mine.

JamieWolfe7

cbishop I vote for your story. It's very good.

Time_Phantom

timephantom: jamiewolfe7: batkevin74: thanks. :)

cbishop

cbishop Really, really awesome story man. Great character names, i.e. Wartime (seems like the perfect arch for Time Phantom) and Viceroy Volcano, etc. Really sad reveal towards the end there. A good story should get you feeling something though. Bravo!

My vote goes to.. (ah man, I'm giving him the lead over me here) (but I gotta keep it real).. cbishop

stumpy49er

stumpy49er: thanks. I can hardly wait to repost it with the pics that inspired it. :)

cbishop

Im voting for cbishop, tho I wanted to vote for Batkev cause he mentioned me and I'm an attention whore.

joshmightbe

joshmightbe: Woot! Thanks! :)

cbishop

Calling out voters again. Deadline is 2hrs, 20mins away, and Stumpy49er and I are currently set to be tied. Someone break the tie or a bunch of you vote someone ahead of us, please. :)

cbishop

Okay, we're 14 minutes past time on the deadline, and stumpy49er or cbishop (me) are tied for 1st place. At this point, we need a tie breaker, and only votes for Stumpy' or I will count. Next vote wins it.

cbishop

Uh, so I know that I'm kind of late (just checked in to the Vine), but I vote for CB

knightofthechronicle

Suh-weet! Ok, i'll be thinking about a new contest, and see what I can do when I get home from work. Thanks for the votes! stumpy49er, I thought you might have it this time. We'll fought. :)

cbishop

knightofthechronicle: Callouts weren't working on my phone- thanks for the vote! :)

stumpy49er: Just saying again (now that the callouts are working for me): Well fought. I really thought you might take it this time. :)

cbishop

cbishop: Thanks. I don't mind losing when the story I lost to was very good. Congrats on the win. Seems you might be gaining ground on batkevin74 in the wins column.

stumpy49er
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #165

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

Back in January, 2017, I had e-mailed Andreas Englund to ask his permission to use his paintings in my story, and see if he would let me know what he thought of the story. I got a response from him, and we exchanged a few e-mails. This is the highlight:

Hi Chris!

I just read your amazing story about the Time Phantom. It was such a pleasure reading it. A very nice turn as well when he went to a parallel version of his story and met his alternate wife. Watching these images and ”hearing” his voice telling this tragic story of his was beautiful, thank you!

All the best

Andreas

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I keep looking at the paintings I didn't use, and wondering what story I can tell from those. I really want to write a follow up to his interview where he's sitting at home, and still thinking about alternate-Clementine. The whole reason I named her that was because of your "Bad Clementine" painting; I want a scene where he's eating the bad clementine orange, and that turns his memories back to his wife and alternate-Clementine. Something that will eventually send him back to the Sky Phantom's universe to help him...and get to see his wife again.

I also want to write the story of all of Time Phantom's trips back to the same point in time, where he continually steals from the dealer, and how it messes with the dealer's mind.I usually have to think about these things for awhile before tackling them though.Again, truly glad you liked it.

Wishing you well,

Chris

Ha ha I can´t wait to read that story!

I’m glad to hear that your mind gets going when you see my images and I know you will get it all together :)

All the best

Andreas

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cbishop

The Origins Behind the Origins (or how some of these characters got their names):

Luftwaffan, The (Blitzkrieger, The)

Just pulled this name from the air. It sounds like a silly Golden Age name, and implies a crazy Nazi pilot villain. The only thing I establish about him is that he thinks the older Time Phantom in the story is the Time Phantom he fought during the war (he's not).

Sky Phantom (alt timeline Time Phantom)

Sky Phantom is based on the younger hero seen in the paintings Photoshoot, Droppings, Strawberry Jam, Flying, Future, Hangover, Paparazzi, Heimlich, Yawn, Cough, Octopus, and possibly Shopping and Sunday, but it's hard to tell with those two. He's also in Addiction and Cops, but I used those for the older TP.

I had a few reasons for making the younger version a different character:

• In case Time_Phantom didn't want me to continue using his screen name for the character, I could shift to the alternate universe version, and continue on with Sky Phantom. I would refer to the older version from there on as John Phantom.
  • I needed a place for Clementine to be hiding. In another universe with a version of her husband seemed like a good place.
  • The younger version actually looks taller, and looks nothing like the older version. In reality, Englund based the older version on his father, and the younger version on himself.
  • Helping/hating the younger version gives the older version something to do. lol
  • The 'stache, man, the 'stache! It just makes him seem like a completely different character. The paintings too imply a lecherous, partying playboy type character, and I want to play with that at some point.
  • The younger version is shown with a baby boy in a couple of the paintings, and there's a toddler boy version of the hero in another painting. I haven't shown him in any stories yet, but I'm thinking that this is Sky Phantom's son- the opposite to Time Phantom's daughter.
Volcanono (alt timeline Viceroy Volcano)

Pulled this from the air, and it just made me laugh. It sounds a little more Hawaiian-ish (which tells us that the Viceroy is probably Hawaiian too) and the "nono" on the end helps imply that this guy is doing wrong lol. I love my wordplay names, but the names I come up with on the fly are usually more fun to me. I don't flesh many of them out, but I really love throwing them out there.

Clementine (III) (alt universe Clementine [I])

Time Phantom finding Clementine in the nude was based on the painting Naked Back. I only use the closeup shot of her head, because the full painting shows her all the way down to her behind. I don't have a problem with that (I mean, it's a beautiful painting, just like all the others), but CV might, so I chose not to use it.

We don't find it out in this story, but I eventually reveal that this is not in fact an alternate universe Clementine, but the actual wife of the older version. How? See the later story "Apocalypse When?" for that.

Ninjas

I mentioned ninjas based on the painting Sunday.

Time Phantom legacy

I did this for two reasons: Lee Falk's Phantom is a legacy character, and Englund's paintings show four different costumed heroes: older adult male, younger adult male, toddler male, and child girl. I'm happy to have all that to play with. :)

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D