The New Teen Titans #1: The Last Day of Warworld, Part 1

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop  Online
DateThe New Teen Titans #1ViewRead the...
02/08/16The Last Day of Warworld, Part 1(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
TViolence.
No Caption Provided

Batman's face crackled to life on the com display. "Robin! Are the Titans ready to engage any threats in New York?"

Robin looked directly into the walkie-talkie sized device and said, "We're set up on top of Titans Tower now, ready to jump at the first sign of trouble."

The screen split, and Superman was looking into his com device. "Good! Because trouble's coming! Brainiac's headship was just the advance scout. We have an entire mechanical planet coming towards Earth, about to settle into orbit about two-thirds around the planet from the moon. And it's armed to the teeth! Warworld is coming, just like Brainiac said!"

The Titans were all gathered around Robin, the display screen having flipped outwards and unfolded to about four times its original size so everyone could see. Cyborg claimed this would progress to holographic projection before they knew it. "Great Hera," murmured Wonder Girl. "A planet?"

nothing but a wake across the bay

Just then, an explosion rocked the city somewhere near the Sears Tower. "Robbie! We got incoming!" shouted Cyborg.

"They're headed this way!" called Kid Flash. "I'm headed into the city to see if I can help there," and then he was gone, nothing but a wake across the bay from him running across the water.

"Kory?" asked Robin, as he saw the first few space gliders come into view. "Are those..."

"...Gordanians?!" finished Changeling, as his green form shifted to match the alien forms they had encountered the year before.

"X-Hal!" screamed Starfire.

"Right," said Robin. "You know what to do. We hold the line here! TITANS TOGETHER!"

The team went into immediate action to engage the alien fighters. As they lifted off of the roof, Starfire grabbed Wonder Girl's arm and pointed into the sky, "X-Hal! Donna, look!"

Donna looked up into the daylit sky, and saw a technological wonder like she had never beheld before. "Yes, Kory, I know. It's Warworld. Superman said it would be settling into orbit.

"NO," said Starfire. "Not 'Warworld.' Donna...that's Okaara!"

Wonder Girl was dumbstruck. "Okaara? As in Warlords of Okaara? That's where you trained?"

"Yes, Donna," answered Kory, looking at the hulking orb floating in the afternoon sky. "And if Okaara is here, the Warlords are too. This is bad. We have to do something."

"First things first," answered Donna. "Let's take care of these Gordanians."

"No. Donna, the..."

"Kory! This is the more immediate threat! We handle this," she said, pointing towards the approaching star sliders, "then that!" she said pointing at Warworld.

Just then, Changeling circled above them in the form of a pteranadon. "Hello, Gorgeous!" he called as he circled over Donna. Turning his head to Starfire, he added, "Other Gorgeous." Flapping a little higher, he called, "Do you think we can get a little help with the little green men coming our way?"

Cyborg's sonic blaster sounded from the beach of the island.

"No! Gar..." called Kory.

"We need help down here now!" came Cyborg's voice over the communication devices in everyone's ears. "Princess, we could sure use some more firepower."

"Victor..." started Kory.

"Starfire! We need you down here now!" called Robin over the communicator.

Wonder Girl leapt off the roof, gliding towards the approaching Gordanians, even as Victor's sonic cannon managed to break one up over the water.

"Donna!" called Starfire. "Wait!"

"I told you, Kory," said Donna, rolling over in midair to face her friend, "first things first." Then she rolled back to continue her flight towards the outer edge of the island.

Kory watched her friend go for only a moment before her eyes smoldered, followed by her hands. Then a primal scream came up and out from deep inside her, and she thrust both fists out in front of her, throwing two powerful starbolts out across the water, destroying all of the star sliders that were approaching the island. Gordanians and broken ships fell into the water indiscriminately.

All Titans stopped where they were and turned towards Titans Tower, all of them mouths agape at the sheer amount of energy coming off of the alien princess as she hovered just off of the roof.

Then, over the communicators, they all heard her say, "LISTEN. TO ME!"

As Kory descended from the top of the Tower, Raven appeared on the beach next to Wonder Girl, depositing a dozen Gordanians and a small flood of river water from the folds of her cloak. Donna quickly bound them with her lasso, which always seemed to be just long enough for the job at hand. Kid Flash zoomed back onto the island about fifty yards down the beach, the ship wreckage following behind him in his wake and crashing into a pile on the beach as he skidded to a halt in the sand. Raven waved a hand at the Gordanians, causing them to sleep, and Donna retrieved her lasso.

"Raven! Where were you?" barked Robin.

"I was at the site of the explosion," she said quietly.

Robin looked at her for a moment, then focused back on Kory, now closing the last several yards between her descent and her teammates. As her feet touched lightly to the ground, he started, "Starfire! What..." but was promptly silenced when he was knocked down by Starfire's punch.

"Shut up, Dick!" she said angrily.

Changeling looked at Cyborg, and said, "See? I told you she'd get the hang of slang." Victor just looked at him. Gar smiled and shrugged.

"What the hell, Kory!" demanded Robin.

Planting a foot on his chest, and pushing him back down to the ground, Kory said, "What part of 'trained by the Warlords of Okaara' do you not get, Dick? They didn't just train me to fight, they trained me in warfare. Period. On that!" she said, pointing to the alien orb in the sky behind her. "So when I tell you that Okaara is the bigger and more immediate threat than Gordanians, you might want to listen! For once." She glared, then removed her foot from his chest.

Without getting off of the ground, Robin said, "Fine. We'll talk about the importance of team dynamics later, but for now, go on."

Kory pointed at Okaara and said, "You all think that's in the same orbit as the moon? It's three times that distance!"

"My God," said Kid Flash.

"We have to get there!” Starfire pleaded. “It's gravitational pull alone..."

"How?" asked Robin.

"I might be able to hack into the JLA satellite," said Cyborg. "If we can find a boom tube..."

"We are wasting time," declared Raven, and with a sweep of her soul self, she enveloped the Titans, and suddenly they were on...

"Warworld!" shouted Changeling.

"Okaara," corrected Starfire. "Raven, reach into my mind. See the way to the War Room. Get us there."

Raven did as asked, and with another sweep of her soul self, they stood in the room that controlled the weapons of the entire planet. And on it's throne sat a man with a winged helmet and the tell-tale sign of Brainiac on his forehead.

Next Issue: The Last Day of Warworld, Part 2.Originally Presented In: (below)
Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cb15 Minute Writing Challenge (Just Write).

Story, original characters and content are owned by Chris Bishop. Copyright Chris Bishop 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop  Online
Comic Characters used in this fic:
Picture Credits:
Note: GIS = Google Image Search.
PictureCredit
NTT logoThis is 'shopped from the cover of New Teen Titans #7. I played with cleaning up the colors a little bit in MS Paint, but didn't do all of it.

Found via GIS. This is 'shopped from a larger picture, and can be found in several places, including multiple Pinterest pages and Dial B for Blog.

"Not 'Warworld." Donna...that's Okaara!"

Found in the CV wiki, 'shopped slightly.

"LISTEN. TO ME!"

Found in the CV wiki. Original source appears to be Starfire by Phillip Tan, by StephenSchaffer on Deviant Art.

"I might be able to hack the JLA satellite."

Found via GIS. Man, I don't know. I looked. It's all over the place, and I couldn't pin down the source. Fuggit. Done.
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #132

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop  Online
Part 1
Part 1

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#3 wildvine  Moderator

Any reason you call him Changeling instead of Beast Boy? I mean, yeah there's a reason. I just don't know it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cbishop  Online

@wildvine: He was called Changeling in the New Teen Titans comic. That was my intro to the character, and although I seem to be alone in this feeling, I still feel that it's a better name than Beast Boy. Mostly though, it was to stay consistent with the 80's comic.

Edit: I think he was only called Changeling in the preview from DC Comics Presents #16, but in NTT #1, when he first appears, he jumps into Wonder Girl's arms as a green bulldog, then turns back to Gar. She exclaims, "Beast Boy?!"

He tells her, "It's Changeling now," or something similar to that.

So it's not that BB was unknown to me. I just like Changeling better. :)

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@cbishop: Gotta love the old Teen Titans, from pre-Crisis.

Titans Tower was the best, though I always though the shape itself was not that practical.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cbishop  Online

@blueecho: No, no, no, those were the NEW Teen Titans. lol But yes, that book was my absolute favorite. I loved the Tower, even though I wondered how the top of the "T" stayed on the building. What was probably funniest to me is that DC kind of made fun of it in the Captain Carrot title, when the Zoo Crew got a "Z" Building. It even had a diagonal elevator, rather than an escalator, which would have made more sense. :D

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: Hmm know nothing about this team but it's nice to see your stuff up on the board. Either call me out or link me to the next piece please

Looking for it very soon
Looking for it very soon

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cbishop  Online

@impurestcheese: Um, Imp'? The next issue link is at the bottom of the OP, and you read this when it was first posted. You said you loved it. lol :/

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@cbishop: Diagonal, that is funny!

Also they need to start to use Starfire the right way again.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@cbishop: Sorry, been starting work in earnest with days starting at 5:30AM and ending at 18:00 hours, not really firing on all cylinders

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cbishop  Online
No Caption Provided

December 7, 2021: With Mr. Perez's announcement today about his health, I realized that as much as I learned writing from Marv Wolfman, I also learned to put as much into it as I can from George Perez. I always remember an interview I read (although not who was being interviewed) where the interviewee was talking about an Avengers page Perez drew. He said the description was just "Captain America is on monitor duty," and what he got back was all this gorgeous detail showing a huge room with three levels, and all these gadgets, and just all kinds of cool stuff crammed into this one picture! I was in awe of that. I look for all the extra whenever I see Perez's art, and when I write I try to throw in everything I can.

That's what happened in this story- the New Teen Titans, Warworld, Warlord, the Royal Family of Warworld, Trigon, Darkseid, Gordanians, War Wheels, Skartaris, Apokolips, Titans Tower, Metropolis... I had a blast. Thank you, George Perez, and God bless you wherever you are tonight. -Chris Bishop