• 50 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Mutant 'power levels' are a considerable source of debate among many Marvel fans, especially fans of the X-men. The system is fairly comprehensive, and it's reasonably logical, but what makes it a topic of much contention is the fact that they are almost entirely fan created and, as something of a byproduct, not every mutant in the Marvel universe is assigned a level. There are seven levels, which I will explain shortly, and every mutant in the Marvel universe can be evaluated as being one of them (more or less). While the definitions of each level can change depending on what source one uses, I did some reading and came up with this basic outline:

OMEGA LEVEL

I previously wrote a post about the thirteen Omega-level mutants in the Marvel universe, which can be found here. For a character to qualify as an Omega level mutant, only one thing is technically necessary- they have to be officially labeled as such. While this scale itself is largely fan-made, every member of the Omega level has been called such by Marvel, and theirs is the only authority that counts in this matter. Sure, there are actual traits that Omega-level mutants must possess, but they're usually vague at best; suffice to say that they have to be really, really, really powerful and able to change their physical body into another state, like psychic energy. Omega mutants are extremely rare (only thirteen exist in the entire Marvel universe) and are, either by coincidence or design, often telepathic. Some notable members of this level are Jean Grey, Iceman, and Franklin Richards.

ALPHA LEVEL

This is probably the class that ends up being the most contested, largely because it's made up of extremely powerful mutants, some of whom people will often argue should count as Omega-level, and they consist of roughly 10% of all mutants. Alpha level mutants are very powerful individuals whose mutation features no significant drawbacks. Note that while Alpha mutants aren't notably hindered by their mutation itself, they can possess other extraneous disabilities, impairments, and general encumberances; an example would be Professor X, who, while unable to use his legs (is he crippled right now? His ability to walk changes so frequently I tend to lose track...), is an extremely formidable telepath. Good examples of this class of mutant are Dazzler, Magneto, Storm, Gambit and Rogue (as she is currently, able to control her power-siphoning abilities). Note that this level also encompasses characters with abilities that are considered more powerful than average that have negative mutations, and therefore covers a very wide range of individuals.

BETA LEVEL

Beta Level mutants are pretty powerful beings, but they are minorly hampered by an aspect of their mutation in a fairly minor fashion- think Alpha level powers with a drawback. These drawbacks can be anything from slightly abnormal physical features (blue skin or fur, for instance) to the inability to turn their powers on or off at will. Controversy regarding this class often stems from deciding exactly what counts as a 'minor' drawback- Cyclops cannot turn his powers on and off at will, so some would classify him as beta-level, but this inability is currently stated to be due to brain damage and is therefore unrelated to the power level of his mutation itself (which is what we're measuring here). Beta level includes Beast, Mystique and Nightcrawler, among others. Wolverine is sometimes placed in this level.

GAMMA LEVEL

A Gamma level has a harmful mutation coupled with superhuman abilities that are above average. Often these mutants are unable to 'pass as human', making it difficult for them to lead ordinary lives. Rogue (apparently) USED to be a member of this category, since not being able to make physical contact with most other living beings makes for a pretty difficult existance, but no longer counts as Gamma level. Some mutants, like Marrow, have pretty minor mutations that cause them near-constant pain and render their appearance inhuman, while others, like Blob, have rather impressive abilities that just make their lives very difficult (he is very morbidly obese).

DELTA LEVEL

While their mutations bear no detrimental qualities, they also aren't all that powerful, but Delta level mutants appear, for the large part, to be ordinary humans. Individuals with highly specific powers are also placed in here, along with passive abilities (powers that are more traits than abilities, like Longshot's good luck or Cypher's omnilinguism). These are about 50% of mutants, and cannot, under most circumstances, really hold their own against their more powerful Omega, Alpha, Beta and Gamma contemporaries. Delta level mutants can have many types of powers, like Forge (who has the mutant power of invention (no, I'm NOT making that up)), Loa (who can pass through solid objects, which causes them to break apart), or Wallflower (pheromone control).

EPSILON LEVEL

To count as an Epsilon level mutant, you have to possess very little to no special abilities and a mutation that extremely negatively effects your day-to-day life. Some mutants of this level are killed by their mutations, like Sally Floyd's daughter, who around a few months of age began growing in reverse. Others have somewhat monstrous appearances, like Glob Herman or Beak. They often cannot function in society without aid, and can even end up hunted down as monsters, like The Worm (he's from District X and doesn't have a page). 20% of mutants fall into this category.

ZETA-LEVEL

The lowest level is home to latent mutants; humans whose children or grandchildren might end up being mutants but do not themselves classify as such. This level is a bit iffy- in some cases it's stated that they bear the x-gene themselves, but in others they just could have children with the gene. Whatever the case, the consensus is that they do not have 'mutant powers'; they may, of course, have other powers or abilities, but none that would come from being a mutant. Spider-man should technically qualify as a zeta-level mutant.

So that's the gist of it. Thank you to Jeff, who prompted me to write this list.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By John Valentine

Gambit is more like a Beta and Dazzler can hardly be considered as "formidable", she's more like a Delta level mutant.

Good thread, though.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jubilee042

awesome thread i really wanted to know the levels and what level is kitty and jubilee? oh and did i mention u did a fantastic blog

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By John Valentine

@jubilee042 said:

awesome thread i really wanted to know the levels and what level is kitty and jubilee? oh and did i mention u did a fantastic blog

Kitty Pryde is more like a Delta.

To me, Jubilee seemed liked a Delta, but was theoretically more like an Alpha/Omega given that she could have developed her powers to the extent where she could have blown up matter on a subatomic scale.

taqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By taqs

Impressive blog...

I have a few questions. So would characters like Dust and Mercury fall under Alpha Mutants? Both are extremely powerful but Mercury is hampered by her physical outcome of her mutation. So would she drop a level to Beta?

And mutants like Surge that has a lack of control and needs the use of gauntlets to help her control her powers, would it be right to place her (them) within Gamma as the gauntlets make her life slightly more difficult as she can put many in danger or would she be a Beta much like Cyclops?

Lastly, does a mutant levels change as one ages depending on the better control they gain? Say Surge were to gain full control and not need the gauntlets would she move up a level?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't give any credence to the Greek Alphabet Mutant Scale. It doesn't make sense to have a scale that goes down in the middle only to become even more powerful right at the end. Mutants are made 'Omega' at the whim of whichever writer feels like it (such as the casual way that Fraction turned Emma Frost into an Omega, while completely ignoring Iceman's capabilities).

I'd be more amused if they filled in the rest of the alphabet ;p

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

@xerox_kitty: He didn't turn her into an outright Omega, just an Omega level telepath.

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Son Of Storm

@The Dark Huntress said:

@xerox_kitty: He didn't turn her into an outright Omega, just an Omega level class telepath.

:)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John Valentine

@taqs said:

Impressive blog...

I have a few questions. So would characters like Dust and Mercury fall under Alpha Mutants? Both are extremely powerful but Mercury is hampered by her physical outcome of her mutation. So would she drop a level to Beta?

And mutants like Surge that has a lack of control and needs the use of gauntlets to help her control her powers, would it be right to place her (them) within Gamma as the gauntlets make her life slightly more difficult as she can put many in danger or would she be a Beta much like Cyclops?

Lastly, does a mutant levels change as one ages depending on the better control they gain? Say Surge were to gain full control and not need the gauntlets would she move up a level?

I'd say Dust is an Alpha, due to her control over her abilities and their strength, whilst Mercury is a Gamma, due to her permanent physical appearance.

I'd say Surge is a Beta level for now, however, if she were to gain fuller control of her abilities and no longer require the gloves, she'd be an Alpha for sure. The gloves don't really make her life any more difficult and I shouldn't think she'd suffer prejudice because of them. If anything, they could pass as prosthetic limbs. The electric blue hair on the other hand....

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_

@Son Of Storm: Same damn thing >_<

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Son Of Storm

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Son Of Storm: Same damn thing >_<

It's Emma Frost. Perfection is the only thing allowed!

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By butterflykyss

I read a classification listing similar to this that you all can check out if you like. It seemed to break down the listing not so much by how strong a mutant is, but moreso by the control the mutant has over their ability and if the character exhibited any characteristics that would indicate that they are a mutant. Here you go:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/x-men-mutant-classifications-120113-1.html

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrinceIMC
@xerox_kitty said:

I don't give any credence to the Greek Alphabet Mutant Scale. It doesn't make sense to have a scale that goes down in the middle only to become even more powerful right at the end. Mutants are made 'Omega' at the whim of whichever writer feels like it (such as the casual way that Fraction turned Emma Frost into an Omega, while completely ignoring Iceman's capabilities).

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John Valentine

@butterflykyss said:

I read a classification listing similar to this that you all can check out if you like. It seemed to break down the listing not so much by how strong a mutant is, but moreso by the control the mutant has over their ability and if the character exhibited any characteristics that would indicate that they are a mutant. Here you go:

That list is painful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@John Valentine said:

Gambit is more like a Beta and Dazzler can hardly be considered as "formidable", she's more like a Delta level mutant.

Good thread, though.

...what's your understanding of Dazzler's abilities?

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By butterflykyss

@John Valentine said:

@butterflykyss said:

That list is painful.

Why so???

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- I like the idea of making a more definitive breakdown on how relatively powerful characters are, but a numeric scale is a lot easier to work with as well as more universally understood. There are a lot of readers who would get confused trying to remember is a Gamma better than an Epsilon or is it the other way around

- A numeric scale of 1-10 or 1-100 (based on how deep you wanted to drill) may not sound as cool as yours but it is a lot easier to work with.

- I agree with you 100% that Marvel decides on these classifications on a whim and only enforces them when they feel like it, overall I give it almost zero importance

- The mutants identified as Omega vary so wildly in power the classification is less than meaningless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox_kitty: The alphabet system is still far better than the numerical one the movies put forth. Lesser of two evils, if you will.

@WarMachineMarkV: The numeric scale would be far less comprehensive and would be a hell of a lot harder to definitively place people in.

The thing about the Omega classification is that, in my opinion, it's not really a classification one can independently apply to a character. Think of it as being like a post-it-note that writers can stick on characters to remind other writers that the individual in question is to be considered OP, and can be whipped out whenever the need for one of those superpower gun shows comes up. It's different from the other classifications because, unlike them, it's not supposed to be useful to anyone but the creators. Just a thought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Squares said:

@xerox_kitty: The alphabet system is still far better than the numerical one the movies put forth. Lesser of two evils, if you will.

@WarMachineMarkV: The numeric scale would be far less comprehensive and would be a hell of a lot harder to definitively place people in.

The thing about the Omega classification is that, in my opinion, it's not really a classification one can independently apply to a character. Think of it as being like a post-it-note that writers can stick on characters to remind other writers that the individual in question is to be considered OP, and can be whipped out whenever the need for one of those superpower gun shows comes up. It's different from the other classifications because, unlike them, it's not supposed to be useful to anyone but the creators. Just a thought.

- Depending on how you choose to define a Class 1/Type 1 to Class 1/Type 10 (whatever you want to call it) would be similar to what the OP gave except for 3 more levels and an easier to remember scale.

- The problem is the title of Omega has been used in such a haphazard manner it causes more confusion than anything, this does not help a writers cause in the long run. Any classification that includes characters as wildly apart in power like Franklin Richards and Iceman is useless.

- I understand what your trying to say and part of me agrees with you, but if your going to go out of your way to make the change, don't do it halfway

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By papad1992

Cool blog... But why are Loa and Wallflower Delta's? Moreso Wallflower!! In the New X-Men series the reason she was killed was because she had the potential to influence William Stryker's army on a massive scale!! But considering she had some troubles with controlling her powers maybe that's why she's listed low! But I think she and Loa deserve to be Gamma's on account of being only teenagers and haven't fully developed their powers (even though Wallflower's dead!!) compared to Jean Grey who has had years upon years and different happenings occur to her!!! So there is some age debates!!! But otherwise.... great breakdown!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Squares said:

- Depending on how you choose to define a Class 1/Type 1 to Class 1/Type 10 (whatever you want to call it) would be similar to what the OP gave except for 3 more levels and an easier to remember scale.

- The problem is the title of Omega has been used in such a haphazard manner it causes more confusion than anything, this does not help a writers cause in the long run. Any classification that includes characters as wildly apart in power like Franklin Richards and Iceman is useless.

- I understand what your trying to say and part of me agrees with you, but if your going to go out of your way to make the change, don't do it halfway

Make what change? You've lost me.

@papad1992 said:

Cool blog... But why are Loa and Wallflower Delta's? Moreso Wallflower!! In the New X-Men series the reason she was killed was because she had the potential to influence William Stryker's army on a massive scale!! But considering she had some troubles with controlling her powers maybe that's why she's listed low! But I think she and Loa deserve to be Gamma's on account of being only teenagers and haven't fully developed their powers (even though Wallflower's dead!!) compared to Jean Grey who has had years upon years and different happenings occur to her!!! So there is some age debates!!! But otherwise.... great breakdown!!!

While their mutations bear no detrimental qualities, they also aren't all that powerful. To be a Gamma level mutant, Wallflower and Loa would have to have a harmful aspect to their mutation. Wallflower's lack of control stemmed from psychological issues, not her mutation, and Loa's markings are hardly harmful. Please read the descriptions of the levels more carefully!

Speaking of age debates, are you familiar with Franklin Richards? He's an Omega level with reality manipulation abilities and is somewhere around the age of twelve. The levels are designed to measure a mutant's powers, not their skill with their powers.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By RainEffect
@butterflykyss said:

@John Valentine said:

@butterflykyss said:

That list is painful.

Why so???

Agreed. It has Storm as Omega, which is not true (and most likely the reason why you posted it in the first place). Not to mention it was basing a few of the rankings off of looks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- A change from what we have now (almost nothing) to what the OP proposes

- Also even under the proposed scale classifying characters is going to be hotly debated

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By lorex
@John Valentine said:

Good thread, though.

I disagree about Dazzler, if you look at her established power set they are quite powerful its just it has been so long that she has got any significant attention from a creative team no one remembers. 
I mean the the ability to fire lasers, create solid light projections and force fields does not imple weakness. The way her character has been portrayed over the years though shows her focusing on 
singing and less time developing her powers. She needs a writer or creative team to put her on a regular team and show what she can do.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@xerox_kitty said:

Listen to this, XK is wise. 
Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Soulstealer

@Squares said:

Agreed. Also I count wolvie as beta because he can't control his healing. If you injure him, he heals. That's not such a drawback, but if you're trying to pass for human it's a dead giveaway.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By butterflykyss

@RainEffect said:

@butterflykyss said:

@John Valentine said:

@butterflykyss said:

That list is painful.

Why so???

Agreed. It has Storm as Omega, which is not true (and most likely the reason why you posted it in the first place). Not to mention it was basing a few of the rankings off of looks.

Hmmmmmmmmm, not exactly. It does not have her as an Omega. Actually it states that Storm "could" be considered an Omega level mutant, which is not inconsistent from Marvel saying that Storm is a "potential omega level mutant." Please don't assert my reasons for posting the link as you are not a telepath or mind reader of any sort, THANKS! I provided the link to share with a community of users a list that I thought was a comprehensive look at the categorization, which I had not been readily able to find before coming across the article. So again please keep your thoughts on my intentions to yourself. In regards to the looks and what not, I respectfully disagree. I think people try to use this categorization to state that one mutant is better or stronger than the next, which may be true, however, this list, as well as the one provided in the OP, demonstrates that a mutants power output is not the only determinate factor in a mutant's classification (but a combination of things including the aesthetic of the mutant), which makes a lot of sense to me.

crackerjack82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crackerjack82

I know marvel loves their handbooks, which can be a fright bit out of order in terms of what they can do, i mean one had anti venom listed as a ten tonner, when tossed a M1 Abrams tank, which 67.6 tons. That being said, they should go back and give us a true list of where they sit, i mean they have killed so many off since M day, it shouldn't be that hard

I also think writers should do better work with them, i mean come on Iceman is soo powerful yet never used, meanwhile Emma frost, former bad guy: is put into a higher league

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Oh, wow.
That alpha, beta crap is fanmade and has never been used in comics.
The only classification that exists is omega.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By papad1992

@Squares said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Squares said:

@papad1992 said:

While their mutations bear no detrimental qualities, they also aren't all that powerful. To be a Gamma level mutant, Wallflower and Loa would have to have a harmful aspect to their mutation. Wallflower's lack of control stemmed from psychological issues, not her mutation, and Loa's markings are hardly harmful. Please read the descriptions of the levels more carefully!

Speaking of age debates, are you familiar with Franklin Richards? He's an Omega level with reality manipulation abilities and is somewhere around the age of twelve. The levels are designed to measure a mutant's powers, not their skill with their powers.

Well I'm not too all familiar with Franklin Richards but doesn't he rarely use his power?? And to add to u comment William Stryker saw the potential in Wallflower in a vision so she has the potential to cause harm with her powers! And Loa could be deadly too, her markings actually have no significance to her powers other than they appeared when she got them, and when she first manifested she phased through a shark and it crumbled, she alos phased through a Sentinel and defeated it so I wouldn't underestimate these two... they're just lacking fine tuning (even though Wallflower's dead) so read these characters thoroughly next time!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

@Squares said:

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Squares said:

@papad1992 said:

Well I'm not too all familiar with Franklin Richards but doesn't he rarely use his power?? And to add to u comment William Stryker saw the potential in Wallflower in a vision so she has the potential to cause harm with her powers! And Loa could be deadly too, her markings actually have no significance to her powers other than they appeared when she got them, and when she first manifested she phased through a shark and it crumbled, she alos phased through a Sentinel and defeated it so I wouldn't underestimate these two... they're just lacking fine tuning (even though Wallflower's dead) so read these characters thoroughly next time!!

WHAT does the fact that he doesn't use his powers often have to do with anything?

You're missing the point entirely. Either take the time to think before you comment or just GTFO. 'Read thoroughly', indeed.

@Soulstealer said:

@Squares said:

Agreed. Also I count wolvie as beta because he can't control his healing. If you injure him, he heals. That's not such a drawback, but if you're trying to pass for human it's a dead giveaway.

A very good point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- A change from what we have now (almost nothing) to what the OP proposes

- Also even under the proposed scale classifying characters is going to be hotly debated

Could you add some context to this? I don't exactly know what you're trying to respond to.

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

Nice list but I don't think some of these mutants have been included in a class. Storm and Magneto have not been stated to be alpha level.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CATPANEXE

Your all Omega class mutants as far as I'm concerned. Except you (no, not you, you over there, yes you). You dissed the type of cookies I like to eat, your Alpha class, but just for today.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Again, all of this is fake

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#35  Edited By The Impersonator

Nice article! But why its in the fan-fic forum? =P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@THUNDERBOLT30: I didn't list ALL mutants that exist of each level.

@fesak said:

Actually, good sir, you're wrong. Omega level is legit, therefore it is not entirely fan-made.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@Squares said:

@THUNDERBOLT30: I didn't list ALL mutants that exist of each level.

@fesak said:

Actually, good sir, you're wrong. Omega level is legit, therefore it is not entirely fan-made.

Which is what i said in my previous post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak: Yes, you most certainly did. However, your statement is still false.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

Wallflower is classified as a delta-level mutant because she is not an Alpha-level mutant. I say this because Wallflower has no 'drawbacks' to mutation- no painful side-effects of using her powers, no physical deformities, and she looks like an ordinary person. Therefore, according to the definitions in the original post, she cannot be Beta, Gamma, or Epsilon level. She has been confirmed as a full mutant, and therefore does not qualify for Zeta level.

Delta-level mutants can be quite effective in the right situation. For example, have you read anything featuring Forge? He's a delta-level mutant, but his ability allows him to do things like build time machines and incredibly powerful weapons. In terms of combat he's gone up against characters like and won, so you couldn't say that he's not a force to be reckoned with, and nobody would call him weak. This classification system is designed merely to categorize mutants based solely on their mutations, and does so in a fairly arbitrary manner.

Yes, Wallflower's pheromone control is without a doubt a pretty substantial ability, but it relies on some factors that causes her to rank lower on the scale than other crowd-control characters like Empath. As Sofia Mantega so elegantly pointed out, Wallflower's abilities rely on their target's ability to smell. This makes them easily countered by things like wind, gas masks, a common cold, or merely plugging one's nose.

Loa is a delta-level mutant because while she does bear tattoo-like markings as a result of her mutations, they do not seem to interfere with her ability to be mistaken for a 'baseline' human, ergo she would not qualify as Gamma-level:

A Gamma level has a harmful mutation coupled with superhuman abilities that are above average. Often these mutants are unable to 'pass as human', making it difficult for them to lead ordinary lives.

As stated, no difficulty seems to result from her markings. She fits nicely into Delta level in this regard, alongside characters like Domino, whose unusual pigmentation doesn't seem to have caused her much trouble.

Her ability is to phase through and destroy matter. Now, while phasing through matter would place her neatly within the Alpha-level alongside Kitty Pryde, anything Loa passes through 'crumbles away' afterwards. That means her ability is purely destructive in nature, which means that it's use is rather severely limited; while Kitty does disrupt electronics if she phases through them, she can phase through matter and leave it (and herself) unharmed, save a very few select occasions. I could go on about the other limitations of her thusfar-displayed abilities, but I think that sums it up nicely.

Iceman is an Omega-level mutant, and has been so since his creation (at least to my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong), despite the fact that he was somewhere around the age of fourteen when he joined the X-men. Neither age nor proficiency define a character's power level.

I apologize for not explaining this sooner, as I should have; I didn't believe it was necessary.

NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By NeoAndroid

Nice work so are "Omega Class" mutants Alpha level mutants with the potential to become or be on par with an untrained Omega level Mutant? Since Emma Frost is called "Omega Class" and Storm was "Omega Class" and Now Psylocke after she had her power unlocked again shes classed as "Omega Class" etc It seems to be something that's said pretty often so is it just the highest level of Alpha before they reach Omega?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I understand it, the 'level' and 'class' designations refer to different things, and as much as I hate to admit it, I don't really know anything about how the 'class' system works or even what it means. As far as I know, those three are the only characters that have ever been given that label, which could potentially shed light on it's meaning, but personally I prefer not to make assumptions about that sort of thing and wait until someone from Marvel explains it (saves time and effort).

You brought up a point that many people don't really take into consideration when judging how powerful different characters are- skill and experience. I like to illustrate the importance of skill and experience with a confrontation that happened between Emma Frost and Rachel Grey a number of years ago.

The two of them were in fairly good form (well rested, etc.) and had no interruptions or distractions; in other words, it was pretty close to a lab-like setting, which means it's easier to judge who's the more powerful combatant. In the fight, both characters used only their telepathic abilities. Emma is an Alpha-level mutant and highly skilled telepath, but in terms of sheer power she's no match for Rachel, who's stated to have the same power levels as Jean Grey. If you've read some of the New X-men title you might recall how Jean easily overpowered Emma, with what seemed like no effort. However, Rachel and Emma seemed to be very close to the same in terms of ability, and in the end Emma beat Rachel with relative ease. Emma herself stated that she'd won due to her vastly superior skill and training- Emma had spent years honing her psychic abilities, using them on a daily basis and using them fairly often in combat, in order to get to her current level of power, while Rachel (who is younger than Emma) is innately quite powerful and probably didn't need to train to get by.

Which, in turn, brings up your question about whether 'Omega-class' Alphas are on par with untrained Omegas. It's an interesting question, but it's essentially irrelevant because the level classification system doesn't gague how skilled and/or experienced a character is, it's designed to measure the raw power of an individual (while taking into account their inherent handicaps). Perhaps that's what the 'class' system is supposed to do- judge raw power and skill.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By John Valentine

@Squares said:

@John Valentine said:

Good thread, though.

...what's your understanding of Dazzler's abilities?

Take back my comment.

Avatar image for rankomarinkovic
rankomarinkovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine: No Gambit is real Alpha he is so powerful do not know him well i now him,he can make his kinetic energy power like c4 explosive he is expert hand to hand super human durable superhuman agility,Gambit is so cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rankomarinkovic said:

@john_valentine: No Gambit is real Alpha he is so powerful do not know him well i now him,he can make his kinetic energy power like c4 explosive he is expert hand to hand super human durable superhuman agility,Gambit is so cool.

Proof?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares:

Very organized blog! I've always believed that my boy Wolverine was a beta level mutant, and this help confirm my theory.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@squares: where would you put Mad Jim Jaspers or Jamie Bardock?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jubilee042 said:

Thank you! Kitty is, by my estimation, an Alpha level mutant. Jubilee is a Delta-level mutant.

@bronze_surfer: Alpha-level. From what I understand their madness is not linked to their abilities, ergo they are incredibly powerful individuals with no apparent detrimental mutations that are not confirmed as Omega-levels.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Titan_Lord
No Caption Provided