Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

Missed Last Issue? Check it out here!

The Bunyip’s Billabong Comic Store, Sydney, New South Wales

Onca strode into the store the precious stones in her gauntlets glowing as she ran her hand along the rack of big name brands, before stopping at a spinning rack of independent titles. All around the store the patrons stared at her in awe at the grace and poise she radiated, not to mention the unusual nature of her clothing. Cautiously the owner of the store, a tall man dressed in a cheque shirt and jeans, his head covered in curly hair and his eyes covered by purple lensed glasses, sided over to her.

“Excuse me er Ma’am, is there something I can help you with.” The owner asked, as a slightly overweight coloured woman dressed in dungarees and sneakers walked into the room. “Cosplayers do get 10% off all purchases.”

“I’m looking for Southern Cross.” Onca purred, as she ran her hand across the rack, before turning to look around the store. “Where can I find her?”

“Er we sell comics, the author is over there though.” The owner gulped as he unconsciously shuddered at the slither of arcane power in the woman’s voice. “Victoria I think this lady is a fan.” He called as he pointed at the new arrival. Turning away from him Onca stalked over and looked down at the rotund woman, her eyes boring into the nervous teenager’s skull.

“Do you know where Southern Cross is?” Onca asked, as she caught a glimpse of a silver charm hanging on the straps of Victoria’s backpack. “Or maybe who she is.” She added, her tone becoming more friendly and respectable.

“Uh no.” Victoria lied, even as she thought about how she could escape from the towering woman and slip into her alias. Something about the Amazonian figure before her seemed to scream trouble, the kind of trouble Victoria had both thwarted and created in the path. “What do you want with Southern Cross, maybe if I see her I could pass on a message?”

“I need her help.” Onca replied flatly as she walked out of the store, the sunny skies clouding over almost immediately as she stepped out onto the pavement. “And she will need mine.” She added as a flash of lightning cracked across the sky and thick raindrops fell from the sky. Following the mysterious woman outside Victoria felt the rain vibrate on her skin, the sound morphing in pitch and speed until it sounded like words.

Sir we have a breach at gate four, I repeat a breach at gate four, ten plus hostiles are inside the perimeter of the ‘Boneyard’.” The rain hissed, causing Victoria to take a step back into the comic book store.

“The Boneyard.” She whispered, as she pulled a silver pen and a notebook from her bag. “One last time playing hero, and then I’m done.”

EISSRI UK Operations Headquarters, The Shard, London

Colleen Petra sat on the chair, a thick helmet connected to the machine behind her slipped over her cropped auburn hair, a visor covering her eyes. Watching from the wings a pair of technicians shot nervous glances at the weird ECG readouts that the woman and the machine were giving off, until a hand reached up and removed the device.

“Was there any change to the communal chatter Miss Petra?” One of the technicians asked, as Colleen got off the chair, and smoothed down the business suit she was wearing.

“All the usual chatter Grimes.” Colleen sighed. “The hive is anxious though, something has the few members I’m still in contact with anxious and clamouring for attention. And I think there was another voice, one in pain crying our demanding to be heard.”

“Did you get a location, a name or a definitive read on the message?” The second technician asked. “It’s just that your brain activity showed that your neural pathways were in stress.”

“Only slithers, there was a lot of white noise in the background.” Colleen replied. “But I think whoever it was wanted help, once the machine has cooled down I’ll set up another session, I want to find this person before things get any worse for them.”

‘The Boneyard’, Northern Territories, Australia

The dust covered Fords scythed through the desert towards the compound filled with the rusting hulks of military vehicles and aircraft. Not slowing down for the lightly defended checkpoint, the lead vehicle crashed through the barrier and the unfortunate guard standing behind, the two following cars grinding his body into the dirt as they ran over him. As the dust settled multiple armed men disembarked from the cars, each one clad in desert camouflage fatigues with a Kevlar breastplate slotted over the uniform, and spread out to secure the nearest vehicles.

"Boss we have Blue Diesel present in the tanks of multiple vehicles on site." One of the mercenaries stated as he held a chemical spectrum analyser against the exhaust of a derelict Crusader Tank.

"Team Adder begin siphoning the fuel." A big man dressed in black ballistic armour ordered, as he squeezed out the back of the middle vehicle. "Team Taipan ready the delivery system, Team Constrictor keep the perimeter secure." He added, as he went to the boot of the car and removed a black reinforced canister connected to a fuel hose and long barrelled nozzle. "Snap to it boys, I want us out of here in twenty minutes at the very latest." He hissed, as he slipped the tank onto his back.

"The only place you're going is prison!" A confident strong female voice replied causing the mercenary gang to look up to where the speaker was hovering, her dark skin clad in a leotard emblazoned with the Southern Cross constellation, her feet wrapped in a pair of pointe shoes that, like the necklace wound round her neck gleamed silver under the desert sun.

"Okay lads stop gawping and get back to work!" The Mercenary Boss hissed as he narrowed his eyes behind the helmet he wore. "I've heard of you, you're that city dweller who lucked into some powers, you call yourself Southern Cross or something like that right? Do me a favour, bug out of it so we can finish our work and we'll drop you a cut once we get paid."

"Sorry but I can't do that Mr...?" Southern Cross stated, as she covertly eyed up the six men with assault weapons trained on her. "I'm sorry I didn't get your name."

"It's Kool-o-Suchus, and I'm disappointed that you declined my offer." The mercenary boss sighed as he opened fire with his weapon, a beam of super-cooled steam jetting up towards Southern Cross, her exposed skin blistering as she blocked her face with her arms from the attack. "You refused my warm offer of a partnership, now you going to see what happens to those who give me the cold shoulder!"

Groaning Southern Cross got to her feet, only for a series of warm splashes to rake through her body as two of the gunmen opened fire, the impact of the rounds knocking her to the floor. Walking over Kool-o-Suchus placed a boot on her back and levelled his weapon at her head, only for Southern Cross to suddenly buck him off sending him slamming into one of the derelict vehicles, a burning boot print charred onto her back.

“You…you burnt me?” Southern Cross gasped in surprise, as she got to her feet just as a gunmen popped up behind her and aimed the butt of his rifle at her head. Spinning around she grabbed the gun and flung the man away, just a Kool-o-Suchus got to his feet and opened fire, the jet of super-cooled steam hitting one of the tanks this time just as his target fired an energy beam at a second gunman who had been firing at her to no avail.

“I’m going to do more than that if you don’t fly away.” Kool-o-Suchus hissed, as one of his men slipped into one of the trucks and started up the engine.

“I can’t do that.” Southern Cross replied, as she charged up an energy beam and fired it at Kool-o-Suchus, the blow striking the mercenary in the chest. Gunning the engine, the thug in the Ford slammed into the heroine, sending her crashing through the tank, the armoured vehicle shattering into shards of icy vapour, the sheer cold causing Southern Cross’s skin blistering. “Too bad kid, you could have been something special.” Kool-o-Suchus whispered, as two of his henchmen helped him to his feet. Levelling his weapon at the woman the mercenary pulled the trigger only for a concussive blast of energy, the impact causing super-cooled steam to spray everywhere, flash freezing any man or vehicle that was exposed to it.

“Two of you?” Kool-o-Suchus snarled as he caught eyes on a female figure standing on the roof of a broken down APC. “Team Taipan are we ready to launch?” He snarled, as Southern Cross drifted to her feet, her eyes clamped on the woman who had approached her as Victoria at the comic book store a few minutes earlier. “Good,” The Mercenary captain purred, “Team Adder, Team Constrictor converge on the flier!” He ordered, as the remaining mercenaries leapt onto Five-Star, the weight of bodies pinning her to the floor. “I’ll handle the other one!”

“You may try.” Onca purred, as she sprung off the APC, taloned fingers outstretched just as her target opened fire to no avail save for a layer of frost tinging his enemies skin. Slashing through the hose, Onca looked up to see a pair of rockets shoot up into the sky seconds before she was thrown off onto the pile of bodies pining her ally down to the floor.

“You’ve lost, but you deserve a consolation prize ladies.” Kool-o-Suchus hissed, as he threw off the helmet he wore to reveal a face burnt red by the chemicals he wore. “Take this!!” He snarled as he threw the canister he wore at Onca, the valve hissing as it flew before exploding moments later in a shockwave of freezing steam. “Teams disengage, get to the cars!” He ordered as he sprinted through the fog and delivered a punch to Onca’s face, just as Southern Cross threw the men pinning her down to the floor off of her.

“You’re loyalty to your men is admirable.” Onca purred, as Kool-o-Suchus slugged her round the jaw. “As is your warrior spirit, but I am a goddess of war, you have no chance at achieving victory.” She hissed, as Southern Cross slammed into the mercenaries’ side, knocking him to the floor, the thud muffled my multiple vehicles screaming towards the perimeter. “So you are Southern Cross, I hoped that my invitation would stir the warrior inside.”

“You lured me out here!” Southern Cross snarled. “I could have been killed! Is this what you needed my help with because it looks like you could have handled this far more easily than I could have!”

“I apologise for deception, but I need you and what you stand for by my side.” Onca sighed, as she squatted down next to Kool-o-Suchus. “What happened here is merely the first act of a greater task.”

“What task?” Southern Cross asked wearily.

“Saving the world.” Onca replied calmly. “And I don’t have time for you to say no!”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: Ingrained by years-and-years of comic characters somehow avoiding serious injury, it's almost disappointing how your supers take damage and injury. Not unrealistic though, and it keeps up the suspense as even the heroes might die. Nice job.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

I like it, the second half feels like it could be in a Mad Max movie, at least in part.

ClassicKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Good job! Seems super-interesting...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Yeah you know me, always willing to play the hachet man if I have to, thanks for the comment,

@blueecho: There is a story behind the 'boneyard', one that's explained in part in the earlier issues and another OC series I'm writing

@classicknight:Cool thanks for the comment

ClassicKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

#7  Edited By FicOPedia

The Amazons #2 - The Opening Act

OC Names:
Characters:
  • Five-Star (Colleen Petra; cropped auburn hair)
  • Grimes (technician)
  • .Kool-o-Suchus. (mercenary boss; big man dressed in black ballistic armour with helmet)
  • .Onca.
  • Southern Cross (Victoria; "slightly overweight coloured woman")
  • unnamed Boneyard guard run over by Fords
  • unnamed owner of comic store (tall man, curly hair, purple-lensed glasses)
  • unnamed second technician
Locations:
  • ‘The Boneyard’, Northern Territories, Australia
  • The Bunyip’s Billabong Comic Store, Sydney, New South Wales
  • EISSRI UK Operations Headquarters, The Shard, London
Objects:
  • Blue Diesel
  • Southern Cross' silver point shoes
  • Southern Cross' silver charm necklace
  • Southern Cross' silver pen
Teams:
  • hive
  • Team Adder
  • Team Constrictor
  • Team Taipan
  • unnamed armed mercenaries from Fords (6)
Non-Fiction used in this fic:
Locations:
  • London
  • Northern Territories, Australia
  • Sydney, New South Wales
Objects:
  • Crusader Tank
  • Fords (type unknown) [3]
  • Kevlar
.Patronverse, by ImpurestCheese.

Thanks for reading! :^D