Stories Based on Songs: Proto-Challenge

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By stumpy49er

So I wanted to create a challenge/contest in which writers create stories based on songs.

For example: Paint it Black by Rolling Stones. You could choose to set the story during the Vietnam War. Or it could be about Punisher and how he's lost his emotions since the loss of his family. Or it could be an original character who literally just paints things black.

Another example: Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles. This could be an original character about a serial killer who uses a hammer. Perhaps an original villain for Batman. Or it could be about a young man who has no control over what he tells people, 'beating' people over the head with his blunt opinion. Your choice.

The point of the story is to relate it to the song. You can have lines from the song in it if you want, doesn't matter (though please don't put the entire song in the story).

I would like you to title the story with the song your using just for reference.

Unlike the CC Contest, you don't have to create an original character. You can use Batman or Harry Potter or you can create your own character and set them in the world of your choosing, either original or established.

Since this is the Proto-Challenge, just to see if this would even be popular among the forum, I'm going to let you decide which song you want to base your story after. However, after this contest all songs will be selected by the winner of the last contest, similar to how the CCC does it.

So I'll set the deadline for 2 weeks from now on May the 4th be with you at Midnight PST. No word limit.

Have fun.

Bill: "Ah! Music lover, eh?"

The Bride: "He's fond of music."

Bill: "Aren't we all?"

~ Kill Bill vol 2

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By batkevin74

Cool @stumpy49er I might give this a go, shall we use Paint It Black as the first one?

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By stumpy49er

@batkevin74: Well like I said, since this is the first challenge, I was going to let everyone decide, just this once, on their own song but if everyone just wants to stick with one song, Paint It Black is a great way to start.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jexsu

@stumpy49er: Cool idea. Where are we supposed to post it? I have a good one in mind based on a dream I had this morning.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jexsu: Just post it on here for now. That way every story is on one topic.

When everyone is done voting in 4 weeks, if you want you can re-post it on the fanfic forum. That's usually what me and @cbishop do with our CCC stories.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Sounds good, friend. I'll begin work on my story tonight. I'll also add graphics and whatnot.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6
deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be so cool.

Most of the chapters I write are based on songs so hopefully this will be easy for me

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_red_viper  Moderator

@stumpy49er: I actually do have a character based on a song. He's called Rockstar and I got the inspiration for him from Tool's song Rosetta Stoned. I did write one chapter of him here but it was really bad so I deleted it, planning on trying again soon. You should give the song a listen if you don't already know it, very trippy and inspiring.

Other good songs would be:

Lady in Black by Uriah Heep

Highwayman by The Highwaymen

Pretty much anything by Ayreon or Avantasia =P

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: Awesome! Hope you enter the contest. Part of what I like about this idea is that it introduces people to music they may not have heard before.

Looking forward to the entries.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I've procrastinated for the past couple of days and have got no writings down. But, I did think of another song, and a story to go with it.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stumpy49er

Well, I've been procrastinating but I will make sure to get my story up (as well as the Space Adventurer story) soon.

As usual, life is busy.

Hope I get some competition.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@stumpy49er: Sorry, Stumpy', I've been slammed. I've been on to check notifications and not much else pretty much since I posted the CCC. Now I've got three stories to write this week. lol

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cbishop

It's just a scene, as I was last minute writing, but here it is. There's actually three song names referenced here, but Black Velvet is the main character here, so there's your title. -cb

Black Velvet

A knock came from the front door, and the tall, ebony woman placed her book on the table next to her wing chair. Reaching in a drawer, she withdrew a nine millimeter and approached the door silently. Standing to one side, she placed the barrel over the peephole, and in a rich voice with a hint of French, she asked, "Who is it?"

"Ms. U'tra?" came the answer. "It's Sally. Mrs. Flowers sent me."

Still pointing the gun through the peephole, she opened the door halfway and said, "Miss Mustang? I wasn't expecting you today."

"I wasn't expecting to be here today either," answered Mustang, "but Mrs. Flowers said her need was quite urgent. And Ms. U'tra, I've told you that you can call me Sally."

Opening the door fully and waving Sally in with her gun, she walked towards her kitchen, and called back, "When we know each other better, I shall, but if it makes you more comfortable, you may call me Violet."

Stepping inside and closing the door behind her, Sally walked as far as the living room, and stood waiting. "But would it make you comfortable?"

From the kitchen, Violet said, "As far as is in my control, I do not allow what makes me uncomfortable. People know my stage name of 'African Violet,' so please: 'Violet' to you." Coming back into the living room with two cups of coffee, she handed one to Sally and said, "So why has May sent you? She has been my employer for several years, but our understanding has always been that my free time would be mine alone. What is so urgent?"

Finishing a big gulp of her coffee, Sally shook her head slightly. "I don't know really. All she said was to tell you that she has need of 'Black Velvet.'"

Violet stiffened slightly. "'Black Velvet?' You are certain this is what she said?"

"Well, yes, but--"

Taking Sally's cup, Violet sat both cups down on an end table. "You should have led with that. We are wasting time."

Sally was taken off guard. "Well, I--"

Violet reached behind her, brought her gun out of her waist holster, checked it, and said, "Is she with you?"

"Yes, out in the--"

"Let's go," said Violet, steering Sally towards the door with a hand on her shoulder.

They left and got in the front of a black Lincoln Continental. "May," Violet said politely. "It is time?"

"It is," answered May. "Sally, we're on the way to see Amanda Coney."

"Candy Girl?" she asked.

May made a disapproving face.

"Sorry," said Sally. "It's how I've always known her, but I don't know why she got that name."

"Because it's appropriate," said May scornfully.

"How so?" asked Sally.

"Because like candy," said May tiredly, "everyone gets a piece."

Sally stifled a laugh as they pulled away. Violet smiled slightly while staring out the windshield.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

I am going to miss this one due to real world deadlines. Sorry

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stumpy49er

@cbishop: I was considering giving everyone an extra week but since you were the only one who wrote (epic fail on my part) I figure that makes you the winner. Congrats!

Would you like to put up another contest?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Oh, crud! I thought someone else had entered lol. Winner by default? Really? Well...um, sure. Give me a few days. :)