Stories Based on Songs #5 - Voting

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Well things have been clunking along quite nicely and we had a toolbox full of entries, as listed below;

@4donkeyjohnson's entry

tin man: if youd just oil me young lady I''ll be fine. I got rusted by the rain

dorothy: but you're a tin man

tin man: yes

dorthy: tin doesnt rust. it oxidizes. you cant have rusted into postion.

tin man [standing up fully]: clever girl, seems the witch WAS right about you

dorothy shrieks pushing scarecrow out the way and runs off persuded by maniacl axe wielder

@impurestcheese's entry

The Defiled #0

US Armed Forces R&D Base (Location: CLASSIFIED)

“Miss Schott, thank you for all the hard work you did for Project Clockwork.” A female voice announced over the PA system to the woman bound to the lab table, her hair shaved off and lying in a pile of red slithers in a dish next to her. “Be assured that your service to your country, both past and future will be most appreciated.”

“Why are you doing this?” Schott called as she tried to struggle free from the leather bindings tied around her arms and legs.

“You don’t need to know, just like the rest of the soldiers you brought here for those medical tests. You were a good aide my little Swanhilda.” The female voice replied as the door opened with a hiss and a doctor dressed in a lab coat walked in, his piercing blue eyes boring through Schott’s body. “She’s all yours Doctor Rosenberg.” She added as the doctor loomed over the bound woman, a childlike joy spread across his face.

“I will enjoy this Fraulein, I particularly liked the ballet reference the good Madame Director made regarding this operation. It is so rare to find an American with a sense of culture.” He added in a German accent as he rinsed his hands. “I doubt you will be as well read my Coppelia.”

“My name is Mimi, now let me go!!” Schott snapped, as Rosenberg removed a syringe filled with a dark blue fluid. “And stop with the whole Nazi act?”

“Is that what it is?” Rosenberg asked. “I was surprised that your government was willing to free my from that torture cell in Tel Aviv to work with them on a new generation of my work.” He added as he put the syringe down and removed a bladed tipped hose before stabbing it down into Mimi’s chest, her pained scream echoing around the chamber as her blood was siphoned out of her body onto the floor. Blacking out from the pain, Mimi could still feel her body aching as the Doctor continued to cut her open and continue his work

Field Testing Zone, US Armed Forces R&D Base

Coppelia awoke in the middle of the desert, warm sand running off her body as she sat up and looked at the wreckage around her. “Accessing mission parameters.” She purred in a voice that showed no hint of distress or worry. “Reach Point Iota marked on internal mapping software.” She told herself as she started walking towards a crashed airliner sticking out of the sand in the distance. Walking past the hulks of broken tanks and helicopters she showed no sign of being adversely affected by the heat beating down from the sun.

“Time to destination five hours.” Coppelia sighed as she walked past a derelict civilian jeep, the glass of the shattered wing mirrors littering the sand. Bending down she picked up a shard of glass and rolled it over in her metal tipped fingers. “Testing chemical composition scanners.” She added as she took a holographic scan and enlarged the image as well as the reflective image captured on the surface.

Staring back at her was a woman dressed in a bronze ceramic plated leotard and a pair of army boots, white metal plates running up one of her arms and her legs, the silver plating contrasting with her dark skin crisscrossed with silver veins. Her face had a ceramic mask fused over the skin, the faceplate’s cupid bow lips giving her a pouting expression. Whatever she used to see with wasn’t visible, the eye holes were simply dark shadows. Rotating the image before her she looked at the scratch resistant solar panels that made up her skin.

“Unit integrity is within acceptable levels.” Coppelia told herself before rotating the image and looked into her reflections eyes. “Who are you?” She asked in a voice that was all Mimi Schott and nothing like the synthetic tones of Coppelia. “And what is at Point Iota?” She whispered, before dropping the piece of glass and walking eastwards across the desert towards the fallen jumbo jet.

The Icicle, Super-Max Prison, Annexed to US Armed Forces R&D Base

The door to the cell hissed open and four men wearing the fatigues of the United States Marine Corp walked in, their rifles aimed at the blonde haired man dressed in an orange jumpsuit and a face-mask, his piercing blue eyes staring daggers at the men who had invaded his space.

“Doctor Rosenberg there has been activity regarding the Coppelia unit. She tried to access the secure database containing her memories.” One of the soldiers told him as Rosenberg placed his hand on his chin.

“And this bothers me how?” Rosenberg asked as he smiled beneath his face-mask. “Now if you excuse me I want to enjoy my tapes before Mossard take me back to Israel to continue the construction of my own execution device.”

“The 99 Luftballons can wait Doctor, the Director wants to remind you about the threat you helped build.” The soldier stated. “That Dragon and the rest of her whore friends brought down an alien spaceship in Canada. That kind of brings a new meaning to enemies foreign and domestic.”

“Yes, yes, I realise this, that is why the Director had me sprung from jail and made the United States Military a range of super-human soldier options.” Rosenberg hissed as he slotted his index fingers behind the face-mask. “And it was Wagner’s ‘The Ring’ you philistines.”

“Keep your hands where I can see them sir!” The marine ordered as Rosenberg pulled down his face-mask to reveal a green scars around his lips. With a wicked smile the Doctor opened his mouth to reveal dirty green teeth, his foul visage causing the soldiers to shudder as their skins and clothing began to rot as the micro fauna spread across bodies began to digest their hosts alive.

“Thank you for leaving the door over soldier.” Rosenberg stated as he replaced the face-mask. “Now if you excuse me I have an army to prepare for combat. “The time of the rule of man is over, now it is time for the Ubermensch to rise and take what is rightfully there’s.”

Field Testing Zone, US Armed Forces R&D Base

Cutting through a patch of wild flowers Coppelia looked up at the looming hulk of the stricken jumbo-jet, the smell of high octane fuel masking a fainter more foul smell. Looking down at the pale white petals crushed under her foot plate Coppelia bent down and picked up one of the broken stems before tilting her head out of curiosity. “Why is this here, bent and broken? Why do I look…?” She stopped and turned her hand over, the metal plating of her hand flexing where the joints of her hands had been. “Why?”

“Because the world has problems,” A flat emotionless voice replied as a dark shape appeared in the ripped open rear door of the jet, “and we weren’t one, at least until they put us out in the field for testing.” It added, as a humanoid androgynous figure with glistening blue skin dressed in a black bodysuit dropped down onto the desert floor, its head resembling a skull covered in a glistening blue bell with attached tentacles draped down the neck.

“Who are you? What are you?” Coppelia hissed as she tensed up as the newcomer walked towards her, hands raised.

“Names Gorgon, at least that’s what I woke up thinking.” The figure stated. “There was a whole thing back when I was serving with the Air Force, they used a prisoner to build me into something else. There sent me out here for a test and I never went back, they sent others but they didn’t come back either.”

“Oh.” Coppelia gasped as she balled her fists ready for a fight.

“Don’t worry they’re fine, like us they were changed as well, like you they were wandering round lost until the magic of this place reset their memories.” Gorgon explained. “You can feel it can’t you, that aching little feeling that you were someone before you were…what’s your name?”

“Coppelia.” Coppelia replied. “Do you know who I was?”

“Sorry I don’t.” Gorgon replied. “I don’t even know what I was before I was Gorgon. Come on up I’ll introduce you to the others.” Gorgon added as he/she walked back to the jet, Coppelia following in the figures wake, the pair of them passing a rusted sign that had a big ‘51’ painted on the metal plate. Climbing aboard Coppelia felt a chill pass through her as she stepped out of the light and into the darkened hull of the plane. Moving in the half light of the plane where two other figures, their features trapped between human and something else.

“Guys looks like the Queen sent another body into the mess.” Gorgon announced as the three figures moved into the light slightly. “Everyone give a ‘middle of nowhere’ welcome to Coppelia. Coppelia meet Sister Synapse, Canis Major and Night Adder, the rest of those thrown away by the US government.”

“Charmed,” The only woman besides Coppelia purred, her body looking normal save for her eyes gleaming purple and green and the additional needle like finger on each hand, “it’ll be nice to have another girl round here, no offence Gorgon.”

“None taken.” Gorgon replied, as a dark skinned man with reptilian scales and a row of spines running down his back sat back and relaxed in a row of chairs.

“I didn’t know they could make tin soldiers?” A man dressed in military fatigues stated as he shot Coppelia a snuggle toothed grin, his fang like canines making him look very formidable, as did the remains of the dress uniform and boots he wore, his claw like toes splitting the leather.

“Apparently they can Major.” Gorgon replied as Synapse turned her head. “What is it Sis?”

“We have to leave now!” She snarled as Night Adder got to his feet, his hands lighting up with a ball of summoned green energy. “Can you feel it?”

“Feel what?” Coppelia asked as she felt the jet vibrate in the sand slightly.

“She followed you.” Synapse hissed. “The Queen is coming, and she brought the troops with her.” She added as the roar of helicopters and the rumble of armoured vehicles could be heard in the distance.

“I didn’t know.” Coppelia stammered.

“I know, I can read minds.” Gorgon stated blankly as the rest of the test subjects scrambled towards the front of the plane. “I wouldn’t have let you in if you had been a threat. Now I need to know, do you want a life dictated by your own terms?”

“Yes.” Coppelia whispered softly, the other test subjects picking up on her words despite the quietness of which she had spoken.

“Then get ready to move out!” The Major called as he shouldered an old M4 Assault Rifle, the barrel coated with dust. “From this moment on the only people we can rely on is each other.”

@stumpy49er's entry

In the Land of Virtue, through the Hills of Rein.

Sir Orr rode his horse through the pouring rain. His horse trod carefully on the muddy trail while Orr's serf, an old dwarf, tried to keep up while riding his small pony.

"Wait up, sir." the dwarf pleaded.

"Make haste, Gan," Sir Orr replied. "We are only two days out of the goblin mines and I want to put as much distance from those cretin as we can."

"It's not the goblins who worry me, sir," Gan replied. "Our adversary is a powerful one. He has eyes in these hills."

Sir Orr adjusted his sword hilt as he thought. His grey armor felt heavy. The old knight asked, "You're worried about Baron Rein?"

"They say he is a powerful warlock. A necromancer and a stormbringer, who can control the weather," Gan answered. "All this rain we've had the last few days must be his doing."

"I am aware of the stories the common folk tell of the Baron," Sir Orr said. "The good King Virtue himself tasked me with bringing this villain to justice. So it shall be done."

Gan shook his head and grunted to himself.

"You object?" Sir Orr asked.

"King Virtue is a great man, don't get me wrong. I have a great love for him, as much as I have for my good lord," Gan said while bowing his head to Sir Orr, who smiled at his good friend. "I just wish he wouldn't always send you on the most dangerous missions. Why not send a young knight, like Sir Barth the Strong?"

Sir Orr laughed. "That fool would have gotten lost back at the goblin mines," he looked down at Gan, who he could see needed convincing. "Gan, my friend, your concern is appreciated. I am an old dog, it's true. I may not be as fast or strong as I once was but my experience is a far greater gift. I know my way through a battlefield. An adventure is second nature to me. Plus, I'm as tough as I've ever been."

Gan nodded in agreement. "You're right, my lord. I know the good king uses the best judgement when assigning tasks. He was right to send you, of course."

The two left it at that as they continued to ride through the pouring rain. Sir Orr knew he had eased his friends burdened mind. 'If only I could ease my own mind,' he thought to himself. 'He's right. My body aches. This armor is heavy and this damnable rain is driving me insane.'

He tried to clear his mind by focusing on the task at hand. He knew this would not be an easy mission. Baron Rein had a gang of undead soldiers and his control over the weather just made things worse. 'You slayed the Dragon of Red Mountain,' Sir Orr thought to himself. 'You fought with King Virtue at the Battle of Bridge Bay. One warlock and a bunch of zombies is not the worst I've faced.'

The two adventurers continued towards Baron Reins stronghold. Sir Orr's body ached as the rain continued to pound his armor.

@cbishop's entry

Dick Grayson got out of the shower just in time to hear a knock at the door. Grabbing a towel, he wrapped it around his waist and ran to the front of his apartment. "I'm coming! Hold on!" he called. Without opening, he said, "Who is it?"

"That's a weird story," a male voice answers over the sound of rain.

Dick scowled a little, but unlocked the door anyway. Opening it, he saw a brown haired man holding an umbrella over his head with one hand, and an old toy dog in the other. This distracted him only momentarily before he realized the man was, "Uncle Chuck?"

"Oh. So you do recognize me then?" the man asked.

"Very funny!" Dick said, giving his uncle a hug. "It's great to see you! It's been forever! I mean, what? Since...well, way before mom and dad died! Where have y--"

Holding up a hand to stop Dick, he answers, "Um, you don't understand. May I come in?"

"Of course! Of course!" says Dick, standing aside. Pointing to a chair, he says, "Make yourself comfortable, but excuse me for a minute. Let me throw some clothes on." Moving quickly to the bedroom, Dick grabs a red shirt and throws it on. Grabbing a pair of jeans, he pulls them on as he says, "So what brings you into town, Uncle Chuck?"

From the next room, he hears, "Well, that's just it. I'm not Chuck Grayson."

Dick comes out holding one of his escrima sticks, "You want to explain that, mister?"

Not moving from the chair, the man says, "My name is Robert Crane. I--"

"Worked with my uncle," Dick interrupted. "I remember your name, but I had no idea you looked so much alike."

"Please, this is difficult enough to explain- let me finish," implored the man.

Looking equal parts confused and concerned, Dick took a seat on his couch, and said, "Alright."

"This might be very hard to believe," said Crane, "but this is Charles Grayson's body. The brain is mine though- that is, Robert Crane's."

Dick was shocked, but didn't show it. "Okay. Now I definitely need an explanation."

"In the 1940's, I was known as Robotman."

"Robotman?" asked Dick. "Of the Doom Patrol? I know him. His real name is Cliff Steele."

"No, he came later. I was with the All-Star Squadron. My brain was in a powerful robot body of my design, but the transfer process was invented by your Uncle Chuck. Without him, I would have died."

"Go on," Dick nodded. He reached to a side table, and picked up an Oracle-dedicated tablet. He began looking up Robert Crane to see if he could verify the information he was being given.

"I was eventually trapped in a collapsed mine for several years. When my robot body repaired itself, and I was finally able to escape, I located Chuck again, only to discover that he had died from a brain disease. His body had been frozen to keep anything else from degenerating, and it was with the help of The Chief from the Doom Patrol that I was able to have my brain transferred into your uncle's body- once again allowing me to be human. Something I'm very grateful for, but I thought it would be only right to let his next of kin know. Apparently, that's you."

Putting the tablet aside, Dick said, "You check out."

"Check out?" asked Crane. "Are you law enforcement, Mister Grayson?"

"Something like that," Dick smiled.

"I see," answered Crane. "At any rate, I basically came to let you know about this. It hadn't occurred to me to think of any family Charles might have before the operation. I know this is incredible, but I wanted to ask: is this okay?" He seemed very nervous to hear the answer to his question.

Dick looked at the floor for a moment, and sighed deeply. Looking up, he said, "Well, it's done now, isn't it? It's beyond weird, I'll give you that. To ask you to undo it at this point would be akin to asking you to commit suicide. And if I tried to force it- murder. So it's very strange, Doctor Crane, but congratulations on your new lease on life."

Crane seemed very relieved, and he sank a little deeper into the chair. "Oh, thank you, Mr. Grayson. That's quite a load off of my mind...no pun intended."

"Ha! Still funny though," chuckled Dick.

Rubbing his forehead for a moment, a new pain came over Crane's face as he said, "There's a little more though, I'm afraid."

Dick cocked his head sideways, but said nothing.

Holding the toy dog forward, and handing it over to Dick, he said, "This is Robbie. He used to help me fight crime when I was Robotman."

"I was wondering about this," Dick confessed.

"He also has the brain of your Uncle Chuck," added Crane.

Dick jumped, fumbling the robot dog from his grip, but managed to catch it before it hit the floor. "Ugh! What?! Why...? Wait. I thought you said he died of a brain disease?"

Crane's brow furrowed. "That's what I was told. Apparently, Charles had a lot to do with Steele's Robotman body too. When the degenerative disease began to claim his body, he and the Chief decided to separate his brain from his body before it could actually be harmed by the disease. So they put it inside of Robbie, and froze the body, hoping to find a cure someday."

"Then why did they allow the transfer of your brain into the body?" asked Dick.

"Because the degenerative disease had progressed enough to make the risk too great that the body would reject the brain if reimplanted. I wanted out of the robot body badly enough to risk it. Obviously, it took."

"What about Uncle Chuck though?"

"We thought about transferring him to my Robotman body, but it was decided that the organics of my brain may have contaminated the connections too badly. Mixing the two might cause catastrophic infection in his brain. He decided to remain in Robbie," said Crane.

Dick looked at the dog with wide eyes. "So, he's just...a dog now?"

"Well, robot dog, obviously." Crane looked pensive for a moment, then said, "There's one more thing."

Dick looked at him incredulously. "I don't know if I can take another surprise today, and for me, that's saying something."

Robert Crane smiled. "Even when he was just a robot dog, Robbie could talk. He has a voice synthesizer."

Dick was dumbfounded, and did a doubletake between Crane and the dog.

"Say hello to your uncle," Crane said softly.

Holding the dog out at arms length, Dick looked at the face of the robot dog for long moments before he finally managed a very weak, "Uncle...Chuck?"

The dog's eyes lit up, the mouth opened, and a distinctly human voice said, "Hiya, kid."

"Holy crud!" exclaimed Dick to Crane. "It sounds just like him!" Looking at the dog, he said, "It sounds just like you!"

The dog laughed a human laugh, which Dick found a tad unnerving, and said, "Hey, I was very good at this stuff." One robotic eye clicked shut and open again, winking at Dick.

"Oh, wow," was all Dick could say.

"I think you can set me down on the coffee table now," said the dog.

"Oh! OH! Right! Here you go. Sorry," fumbled Dick. "So...what's all this about then?" he asked.

Robert and Chuck were both silent for a few moments, but Crane finally said, "I'm dying."

Dick was stunned. "Um, wow... four surprises for the day."

"It's the degenerative disease," Crane said with resignation. "It came back with a vengeance, and even if the diseased blood of the body hadn't coursed all through my brain, I can't transfer back to the robot body. The organic material that might be left behind has decomposed, and poses just as much infection risk to me as it does to your uncle. So I'm approaching the end of a very long life," he said simply.

"I'm sorry," said Dick.

"Nah. Don't be. I've got a year or so left, and my affairs are in order," he said, interlocking his fingers and resting his hands over his stomach. "With the exception of him," he said, nodding at Chuck.

Dick looked at the robot dog a little blankly, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, and resting his chin in his thumbs, mouth hidden behind his hands.

"I was hoping I could stay with you," said Chuck.

Dick said nothing, clearly overcome with this fifth surprise.

"I don't have to be walked," Chuck joked. "Just oiled and augmented with a protein formula every so often...for my brain," he clarified. After a few more moments of silence, he said, "I can probably tell you some stories about your dad that you haven't heard before."

Dick couldn't hide his interest in that. He looked up at Crane, who was watching quietly, but expectantly. "Yeah. Yeah, it's no problem. What about you though, Doctor Crane?"

He smiled and said, "I can walk myself." Both men laughed. The mechanical dog shook its head. "I'm going to do some travelling, but the Chief will be handling my medical care until the end. Also...Charles and I have done some talking...about after my death. If it's alright with you, as this is his body, I'd like to be buried with your family. My only living family is Johnathan Crane--"

"The Scarecrow?!" Dick blurted.

"Yes, and I don't want to take the chance that he might make use of any of my discoveries, or make any connections to your family, because of Charles' body. You'll inherit whatever estate I have left, and the Chief has my technology in safe keeping. Is this acceptable?" he asked.

Looking at the dog whose eyes clicked shut and open in a blink, and then back to Crane, Dick said, "Yes, I think that's probably best."

Crane again seemed relieved. Standing, he said, "Well, I think I've given you enough shocks and surprises for today. I'll take my leave." Reaching out to shake Dick's hand, he said, "It's been good meeting you, Mister Grayson."

Shaking Crane's hand, he said, "Please call me Dick, Doctor Grayson. The pleasure was mine. Thank you for coming," he said sincerely.

"Robert then," Crane said agreeably. Looking down at the mechanical dog and smiling warmly, he said, "Goodbye, Charles. Thank you for everything, old friend."

The dog's head tilted slightly, the mouth opened, and Chuck's voice said, "Goodbye, Robert. Thank you for getting me this far. I wish you well."

Looking back to Grayson, Crane said, "Goodbye, Dick."

"Goodbye, Robert. Thank you again."

"You're quite welcome, young man. Thank you for being so understanding. Good evening now," and stepping to the stoop, he opened his umbrella, and walked out into the rainy night.

Dick watched him go for a few seconds, then closed the door behind him and locked it. Going back to the couch, he sat and looked at the robot dog for a long minute.

Finally, Chuck said, "Well, looks like we're going to be roomies, huh?"

Dick sighed, and said, "Yeah, and there's some things you need to know. My turn for surprises."

And that just leaves me to set the date to get your votes in, this time I'm giving you to 21:00 hours on the 2nd of September to choose your winners.

Hope you guys enjoy, and that we get a great turn out next week

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Voting for Imp'.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By stumpy49er

Well, I enjoyed all of the stories. I liked that everyone kind of went different routes.

4donkey had a great take on the Tin Man, I hadn't known that about tin.

Imp as always created awesome characters in an interesting universe.

My vote goes to @cbishop - I really enjoyed this story. I had to google the characters to read up on them. I like that you didn't have to create new characters but used existing characters and tied them together in a believable way. Plus you connected well with the song, which I took away as an old man dealing with the pain of his age, or in this case coming to his end.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop

@stumpy49er: I wish I could say I was planning that metaphor, but actually, I was going for the much simpler "man shows up with dog robot in the rain." lol

Thanks for the vote. ;)

Oh, also, I've wanted to write this scene for years. Glad to finally get it out there. :)

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: No problem, sorry for saying it twice, haven't been sleeping that much this week due to long days

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Not sure what this is in reference to, Imp', but I'm just going to chalk it up to your lack of sleep. :D

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#13  Edited By wildvine  Moderator
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so close

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Was tied between @cbishop's and @stumpy49er's entries, flipped a coin, ignored the result and eventually went for the former's entry which just slithered out ahead despite both of the other entries being good in their own way

Alas there flies that third win in a row
Alas there flies that third win in a row

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers