Pokemon Eclipse #3 - Starting Out

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Missed Last Issue? Check it out here!!

Naomi picked her way along the grassy path towards the beaten up looking building that the locals insisted was the laboratory of the Pokémon Professor. While she'd never been in a laboratory in her entire life, Naomi was certain that the building shouldn't consist of cracked walls and a half demolished roof. Cautiously edging closer she heard a shout come from inside, followed by breaking glass as one of the windows exploded open and a Pokémon jumped out of the building and scampered away. Seconds later two more escapees followed the first, scattering in different directions as quickly as they could. Heading to the door, Naomi got ready to knock, when it burst open and a tanned man wearing an unbuttoned lab coat and grey shorts crashed into her, knocking Mimikyu out of her arms.

"I'm so sorry!" The man stated, as he got to his feet and helped Naomi to her feet. "To both of you." He added, as he stroked Mimikyu on the head, the little creature purring with delight at the attention it was getting. "Say you must be the new assistant I hired!" He stated. "I'm Professor Kukui, but we don't have time to waste, I was fine tuning the attacks of the new trainer’s starter Pokémon when things got out of hand. They are needed later today in Iki Town for Hala, the Island Kahuna distribute."

"Actually Professor I came to ask about..." Naomi began to say, only for Kukui to hold out his hands, three Poke Balls sitting there, the light on the front indicating that they were currently vacant.

"I'll try and stall Hala while you track down the escaped Pokémon." Kukui ordered as Naomi took the Poke Balls. "This PokeDex should contain the data for Rowlet, Popplio and Litten, as well as their preferred habitats. Once you capture them, call me using the phone function." He added as Naomi took the PokeDex and looked at the images of the escaped Pokémon, Seismitoad peering over her shoulder. "Good luck...what was your name again?" Kukui asked.

"Naomi, Naomi Clearwater and I only came to..." Naomi began to say, only for Kukui to start sprinting back towards town. "Well this should be disastrous," She sighed, as she slipped the Poke Balls into her overnight holdall, and headed towards the thick brush that led down to the shoreline. Sticking to the path, it wasn't long before she thought she could hear someone or something following her, but every time she looked round, she missed whatever was responsible for the feeling of unease. Arriving at a fork in the road, she stopped to read the sign, when out of the corner of her eye she saw a rotund tan shaped bird with a green bow-tie peering at her, it took her a second to realise that it was one of the missing Pokémon Rowlet.

#722 Rowlet the Grass Quill Pokemon, Grass/Flying Type
#722 Rowlet the Grass Quill Pokemon, Grass/Flying Type

"Hi, I don't suppose you want to go into this Poke Ball do you?" Naomi asked, as she fished out the aforementioned item and threw it up at the bird like Pokémon. With an ear splitting screech, the Rowlet flapped its wings and fired a salvo of arrow like feathers at the ball, knocking it to the floor.

"Row...Row...Row!" The Rowlet hooted, its cry sounding like laughter, as Naomi picked up the Poke Ball and looked up at the. Pokémon.

"Okay Mimikyu, let's see if we can stop that from happening again." Naomi sighed as Mimikyu scuttled to the base of the tree. "Use Thunder Wave!" She called, as the little Pokémon sent sparks up into the tree, lightning striking Rowlet, a look of shock spread across its face. Shaking itself Rowlet dived off the tree branch and aimed a full body tackle at Mimikyu, only to phase through its intended victim.

"Mimikyu use Copycat!" Naomi called, her command sending Mimikyu charging towards Rowlet, the impact sending the Rowlet spinning into a tree before falling to the floor unconscious. Not wasting any time Naomi threw a Poke Ball at Rowlet, the orb bouncing off it and opening it a beam of red light engulfing the Pokémon. Shaking once, twice, three times the Poke Ball stopped shaking and the light went out indicating that the monster inside had been caught. With a deep breath Naomi picked up the Poke Ball and placed it in her holdall a big smile on her face. That smile vanished as she remembered that there were two Pokémon still on the loose, and that she had no idea where they had gone.

Over by the fork in the road she suddenly felt a vibration radiate out through the ground. Turning she saw Seismitoad vibrating its fist against the soil, the warts on its head pulsating in time with the earth. "Sei...smi...toad!" It groaned before getting to its feet and pointing towards the left hand path that led down to an unused jetty. The Pokémon seemed so confident in what it had just done, that Naomi decided to trust it, and after picking up Mimikyu and her holdall, the three of them headed down to the coast. After only a few minutes they were greeted by the dazzling blue ocean, and there sitting on the jetty looking forlornly into the water was the escaped seal like Pokémon Popplio.

"It looks sad." Naomi sighed, as she put both her holdall and Mimikyu down and removed a second Poke Ball from her bag. "Mimikyu go talk to it, let's see if we can convince this one to come with us without any fuss." Scuttling over to Popplio, Mimikyu chirped a hello causing the seal like creature to turn round and bark back at it "This is much better." Naomi commented as she shot a smile at Seismitoad, just as Popplio blew a bubble out of its nose that engulfed Mimikyu. "Or not!" She gasped as Popplio started juggling the bubble containing Mimikyu on its nose, its tiny captive screaming in fear. Taking along stride towards Popplio, Seismitoad went to release Mimikyu, only for the smaller Pokémon to blow a second bubble, this one engulfing the attacking Pokémon.

#728 Popplio the Sea Lion Pokemon, Water Type
#728 Popplio the Sea Lion Pokemon, Water Type

"Popplio...pop!" Popplio barked as it clapped its flippers, seemingly in amusement at what it had done. That amusement turned to horror as Seismitoad vibrated its warts, the shockwave popping the bubble. Gulping slightly Popplio leapt into the water and began to swim for the relative safety of the open ocean. Attracted by the splashing, a triangular dorsal fin broke the surface, its owner heading on an intercept course with the fleeing Popplio.

"Seismitoad get Popplio before it escapes or worse!" Naomi called, as she grabbed Mimicry’s bubble and attempted to pop it. Dropping into the water Seismitoad sped after Popplio as the opposing predatory Pokémon closed in on the tiny seal. Speeding its pace Seismitoad slammed into the opposing Pokémon, the impact sending Popplio and its predator, a shark like creature with a four pointed yellow star on its head, flying out of the water. With a grunt Seismitoad surfaced, grabbed Popplio and ducked under the water before speeding back towards the dock, the shark like predator darting after it. Reaching the dock, the massive Pokémon climbing out and dropping its squirming victim onto the dock. Barking angrily Popplio spat a jet of water at Seismitoad's eye, a burning welt forming just above the cornea, before being punched in the face by the Pokémon that had just rescued it.

#319 Sharpedo the Brutal Pokemon, Water/Dark Type
#319 Sharpedo the Brutal Pokemon, Water/Dark Type

"Alright Poke Ball go!" Naomi cried as she threw the ball at the stunned Pokémon, once again the ball trembled as Popplio was sucked inside, before it too was caught. Breathing a sigh of relief Naomi walked over to Seismitoad and checked its eye, as Mimikyu picked up the PokeBall with its shadowy claw, and scuttled over to place it in the bag. As it did a chime sounded and a green light on the front of the PokeDex inside flashed. Walking over to it, Naomi pressed the 'accept call' button. "Hi Professor," She said, "I have good news, I've recaptured Rowlet and Popplio."

"Oh really?" A gruff, but kind voice asked. "This is Hala Ms Clearwater, unfortunately for him the Professor is a bad liar and told my everything."

"Ah..." Naomi gasped.

"We have some good news regarding Litten." Kukui stated, his voice spending a little tiny, almost as if he was standing a little ways from Hala. "I checked the camera in my lab and it appears to have returned by itself. If you head back and capture it, the two of us will bring the new trainers down to receive their new Pokémon."

"Some of them are a little injured Professor." Naomi admitted, a slight pang of guilt tugging at her heart.

"No worries, there are some Oran Berries in the fridge that should help with that." Kukui told her. "Just place your PokeDex against the security panel to enter and we'll be over as soon as possible." He announced. "Oh and Naomi, well done and thank you for your help."

Naomi pushed the door to Kukui's laboratory open as soon as the security panel chimed that the lock had been disengaged and gasped at what she found inside. Although fairly beat up looking from the outside, the inside, sans the broken window was filled with things that Naomi had only see in films and books, and a whole load of equipment she'd only imagined could exist. Walking quietly to the kitchen, she opened the fridge and pulled out a box of blue berries marked 'Oran' and placed them in three dishes, each marked with a symbol corresponding to the typing of the three Pokémon she'd been sent to capture. Hesitantly she opened the Poke Balls containing Popplio and Rowlet, and watched as the two little creatures tucked into the berries in their food bowels.

"Here Seismitoad have a berry." Naomi said, as she removed a piece of fruit and handed it to her Pokémon.

"Mimikyu...Mimikyu!" Mimikyu squeaked.

#725 Litten the Fire Cat Pokemon, Fire Type
#725 Litten the Fire Cat Pokemon, Fire Type

"Calm down Mimikyu, you'll get one too." Naomi told it as she turned round to see Mimikyu being stared out by a red striped cat with big yellow eyes. "Hi Litten!" She stated, as she bent down to stroke the tiny fire cat, only for it to bolt away from her and leap into the open holdall. "I've got a berry for you if you're hungry." Naomi cooed, as she took the tub of berries off the counter, and then walked over to her bag. Cautiously Litten took the berry, before retreating deeper into the bag. Smiling Naomi sat down in one of the chairs and watched as Mimikyu chased Rowlet and Popplio around where Seismitoad was sitting, the larger Pokémon resting from the excitement that had occurred earlier that day. Unseen Litten emerged from the bag and slunk over to where Naomi was sitting, before jumping onto her lap, its warm body surprisingly light, even for such a small Pokémon such as it. Gently Naomi stroked the Pokémon and listened to the rumbling purr that rose from the creature on her lap, a happy smile on her face.

"I'm sorry about the broken windows." Kukui stated as the key pad chimed, and the door opened to reveal four Pokémon trainers. Alongside Kukui, there were two terns of about twelve, one male and one female both dressed in casual clothing, and an older man with snow white hair dressed in a yellow shirt, blue top and white shorts. "Luna, Hau this is my assistant Naomi." Kukui announced as the two trainer lit up as they saw the assorted Pokémon in front of them. "Naomi these are the trainers we're helping and that is Hala, the Kahuna of MeleMele Island."

"I've never seen this one before." Hau gasped as he ran over to where Seismitoad was sitting.

"Is that a Mimikyu? You must be so lucky to capture one, I heard they are pretty rare." Luna added as she bent down to stroke Mimikyu on the head.

"Actually Mimikyu is a wild Pokémon who chose to be my friend, Seismitoad too." Naomi admitted as Litten jumped off her lap and ran over to where Rowlet and Popplio were sitting at Hala's feet.

"Curious indeed." Hala mused. "Luna you won the coin toss so you get to choose your Pokémon first." He added, as Luna bent down and looked at the three Pokémon all staring expectantly at her.

"I choose Rowlet, it looks so cute and cuddly." Luna replied after much deliberation, her hand reaching out to tap Rowlet delicately on the head.

"Don't let that fool you, Rowlet is a tough in a battle." Kukui stated as he shot Naomi a quick smile. "I guess you get the choice between Litten and Popplio Hau." He added, as Luna backed away and Hau dropped down to take his turn in choosing his partner.

"Popplio, I think I'll choose Popplio." Hau stated, his words causing Popplio to shoot Seismitoad a sneaky smirk as it was gathered into its new trainer's arms.

"Popplio's tough too!" Naomi told him. "It really didn't want to be caught earlier."

"I'm afraid that leaves Litten for you Naomi." Hala stated, his words causing Kakui to look round at the pair of them in confusion. "For such a smart man Professor you do rush to assumptions very quickly." Hala stated. "No offense Naomi, but your stance shows you know little about Pokémon save for what runs in your blood line. Your accent suggests you come from the Silverhurst City area in Invictia, which means you couldn't have seen Kukui's advert in the Alolan newspapers. You came here to take the Island Challenge didn't you?"

"I did sir." Naomi replied humbly, not daring to go and claim Litten as hers. "That is if I'm eligible to do so." She added.

"Well you are in your early twenties which puts you outside the normal age range, but you are a new trainer to the area and in general so I don't think you have to worry about it." Kukui told her, his smile returning to his face. Bending down Naomi held out her hand to stroke Litten, only for the tiny Pokémon to leap over her shoulder and straight into her holdall, much to the amusement of the people and Pokémon assembled in the laboratory.

"That settles it." Hala announced. "And since we have three new trainers, I suggest that tonight we celebrate, but before that can I have a word with Naomi in private?" He asked. Nodding, Naomi followed him out of the building and watched as the jovial look on his face became deadly serious. "Naomi are you sure you want to be a Pokémon Trainer?"

"Yes, I mean it seems to be where fate is dragging me. Naomi replied. "Why are you worried Hala?"

"When Kalos sent trainers to capture the Pokémon on Invictia, there was one they never could and that was Coltstice, one of the Legendary Pokémon of the region." Hala explained. "I'm sure that you know the stories related to it."

"Yes I do." Naomi replied, her voice full of the same worry as Hala's. "As long as one trainer fights for Invictia, Coltstice will run free and bring destruction to all the nation's enemies." She added, as she looked through the joyful trainers playing with the Pokémon inside. "It's a legend though." She whispered as she turned to look out towards the afternoon sun gleaming over the ocean. "What have I just done...?”

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@impurestcheese: ? I choose between these or?

But my favourite starter I would choose is!

No Caption Provided

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By waezi2

@impurestcheese: You read the pokemon manga? You story reminds me a bit of it. That's a good thing:)

I think I would chose.. Rowlet. I'm a sucker for owls

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: I don't, just another case of convergent writing I guess. Thanks for the comment

@errorinscript: Hmm Charmander huh, always preferred Torchic and Squirtle myself but to each his own. Thanks for the comment

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@waezi2: I don't, just another case of convergent writing I guess. Thanks for the comment

@errorinscript: Hmm Charmander huh, always preferred Torchic and Squirtle myself but to each his own. Thanks for the comment

You are most welcome. And you should check them out.

Also, I'm a Cyndaquil or Mudkip kind of guy.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@wildvine, @helloman, @waezi2, @errorinscript and @avenging_x_bolt

Which Pokemon Partner are you choosing?

No Caption Provided

I went with Rowlett who is now a Decidueye. I was gonna try for a better nature picking it up in my arms for the first time, I couldn't ditch that cute little sucker.

Pikachu (Charmander in FireRed), Totodile, Treecko, Chimchar, Froakie and now Rowlett. Sadly i missed out on Gen 5 but i did manage to get all of the gen 5 starter in Alpha Sapphire (Oshawott first naturally).

My Favorite team of Pokemon that i have so far in Moon is : Darkwing (Decidueye), Lupa (Lycanroc), Livewire (Charjabug), Kahuna (Oranguru), Typhoid (Salazzle) and Hotel (Toucannon)

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

good chapter (then again i cant remember reading a bad story from you)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Thanks, nice team by the way, mine is nowhere near as advanced but then I play competitively and have planed out what I need for my Mono Ghost team

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10 wildvine  Moderator

@impurestcheese:

Barking angrily Popplio spat a jet of water at Seismitoad's eye, a burning welt forming just above the cornea, before being punched in the face by the Pokémon that had just rescued it.

That part actually made me laugh. Seismitoda is not in the mood for sass.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: In all honesty I love Popplio and Seismitoad, but in the end ole lumpy (my Gen 5 Toad) wins out.

#dontsassseismitoad