Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Responsibility: Part 1 of 4

New York City

"If Parker isn't here in fifteen seconds he's fired!"

A sharp, metal blade swung through the polluted air, slicing across bright red cloth and scarring the spider insignia located on Peter Parker's chest.

"Peter's freelance, Jonah. You CAN'T fire him."

A thick strand of webbing fired from Spider-Man's wrist, splatting the supervillain he was fighting in the face and sending him tumbling over the side of the roof towards the concrete jungle below. Without a moment's hesitation, Peter leaped after the criminal in the hopes of catching the villain before he splatted on the ground. A quick glance at his watch on the way down informed him how late he was.

"Well I'll do something!" J Jonah Jameson yelled, slamming his hands on his desk sending various items flying across the room, the vein in his forehead was throbbing like it was about to explode and his anger was making everyone in the Bugle nervous. "Penny!" His head snapped to his assistant, making the young woman almost jump out of her skin. "How much time left?!"

The young woman looked at her phone, a typical millenial that had grown up surrounded by technology. "8 seconds, sir." Jameson sunk back into his seat and began to tap his foot impatiently, stood by his side was Robbie Robertson, an old friend and one of the Daily Bugle's editors, in his hands was a copy of the paper, which he scanned through with intense concentration.

"STOP THE PRESSES!"

Peter Parker fell into the office, out of breath with his clothes all scruffy and untucked. His hair was dangling all over his face with what looked like a purple bruise forming on the lower part of his face. Around his neck hung his black, Cannon camera and it was clear he'd spent the last few minutes running like hell.

"You're late, Parker!" Jameson snapped as his assistant's stopwatch began to beep loudly. "About half an hour late in my book!" The electronic noise began to get on his nerves. "SHUT THAT DAMN THING OFF!" Peter glanced at Robbie, slightly confused at the whole ordeal he was going through. The editor simply chuckled to himself and let the conversation continue.

"Uh... what?" Peter asked while grabbing his camera and quickly fiddling with some of the buttons. Jameson took a whiff of his good, old fashioned cigar and breathed out a cloud of black smoke.

"Back in my day an employee would show up to his boss' office half an hour early!" The journalist started to ramble, remembering days long gone. "He'd bring gifts! Alcohol! And an expensive cigar!"

"You don't pay me enough for tobacco..." Peter muttered, tempted to let the man continue his rant. "And my mere presence is enough to get any man drunk." The young man placed his camera in the middle of Jameson's desk, confident in his findings with a picture of Spider-Man in the camera's view. "There's your gift, JJ."

The old man seemed perplexed by the device, he plucked it up and quickly shuffled through the pictures. "What are these?" He asked. It was rhetorical, yet Peter chose to answer anyway.

"Pictures of Spider-Man in Times Square. He was tangling with some new guy in a mech s-"

"PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT SPIDER-MAN, PARKER!" Jameson bellowed making the photographer jump. "The webhead's old news! A fossil!" He got a glossy look in his eye. "People care about the Superheroes! The Avengers! The Fantastic Four! The public want to know Captain America had for breakfast! They want to know what's going on with Hawkeye! And more importantly they want to know how J Jonah's campaign for Mayor is going!"

It took a second for Peter to process everything the man had just said, he spoke so quickly that Peter wouldn't have been surprised if it turned out speaking at superhuman speeds was Jolly Jonah's super power.

Then it hit him.

"You're campaigning for Mayor?" He asked, completely taken aback by the news.

"Don't you watch the News, Pete?" Robbie asked, Jonah gave him a foul glare. "Or read a paper?" He added. Peter shrugged.

"I've been busy."

"I'm campaigning for Mayor, Parker!" Jameson proclaimed, grinning slightly to himself. "With all this crazy crap going around the people of New York could use a coolheaded genius like myself!" He stood up from his chair and seemed to pull a pose, gripping his shirt and turning to the window. "And a good Mayor needs a good image."

"Oh no..."

"Parker. I want you to be my photographer! I WANT PICTURES OF MYSELF!"

THWIPP!!

"Hi honey..." Spider-Man sighed into his phone while swinging through the Chinatown district, the chill of a winter afternoon tingled his spine and he realized that wearing a skintight spandex costume wasn't the best idea in January. "How was your day?" He asked.

On the other end of the phone, Mary Jane Watson smiled at the sound of her husband's voice. It never failed to cheer her up, the mere sound of her husband's cheerful voice reminded her of all the happiness that had come once she'd married him. Currently she was at work, her local nightclub just around the corner from Times Square had recently received a boom in popularity, forcing her to work extra hours.

"I've had a great day, Petey." She answered while overlooking the happy, mindless crowd below. "Fantastic. Things at Club MJ are GREAT. You?"

BLAM!

Peter flipped around on the hood of a speeding car, narrowly avoiding a bullet from the driver, he clutched his mobile tightly while moving across the vehicle, his natural sticky body keeping him on the transport.

"Not bad!" He yelled, spider sense reminding him of the danger he was in. "Could be worse!" Peter fired a webball, striking the driver's hand and sticking it to the driving wheel. With a twist of his feet, Spider-Man knocked the pistol from the man's hand before twirling around and hitting him in the cheek, knocking him unconscious with his super strength. "The rule of life..." He explained while jumping in front of the car and pushing against it with all his strength. "If life gets tough... just remember..." After a few seconds the vehicle screeched to a halt, leaving behind a trail of angry New York drivers. Well... angrier then usual. "Daredevil's had it worse." The Wallcrawler groaned while stretching in order to get his muscles back in order. The sound of a police car pulling up behind him gained his attention, and the sound of a police officer activating his pistol kicked in his natural reflexes.

"Don't move!" The cop yelled, weapon locked on the masked hero. For whatever reason the NYPD didn't seem to understand everything that Peter had been doing for them.

"You're kidding." Spider-Man leaped into the air and fired off another web line, leaving behind a polite note on the unconscious body of the criminal he'd captured. "You still there, MJ?" He asked while resuming his normal routine.

"Peter..." MJ's voice ached slightly as she forced out the words to her sentence. "I have to go now." She said, hating the phrase. "I'll talk to you later."

"Sure thing! Love you!"

"Love you too." Mary Jane set the phone down and looked up to the member of staff waiting nervously by the door. "Melvine?" She remembered the teenager from one of the staff meetings and was worried by the boy's unease. "What's up?"

The employee stepped into the room, sweat dribbling down his forehead like he'd seen a ghost.

"You... uh... you have a visitor." Melvin mumbled before quickly stepping out. A large, muscullar man dressed in a black coat stepped past him, blonde hair on his head with piercing blue eyes staring into Mary Jane's soul. His skin was pale and the smile on his face was the exact opposite of comforting.

"Oh god..." She muttered, slowly getting out of her seat like someone had just released a wild animal into her office.

"Hello, Miss Parker." Eddie Brock said, spitting out the name with pure venom. He loomed over the wife of his most hated enemy and the foul grin he had seemed to somehow increase in size. "Do you know where your husband is?"

Next Issue: You can have it any colour you want... as long as it's black.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@tommythehitman: Sigh Venom, was hoping for more of a diversity in villains. That said the Jameson stuff is good so I can't really complain