Kick-A-Long Saga #4

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By ImpurestCheese

The Kick-A-Long Saga is several writers' project where each writer takes turn in writing a chapter, each taking it in whatever direction they want, then kicking it along to the next writer for their chapter until it comes back around. All the characters were created by the group members.

@joshmightbe you're up next.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Giovani Pistrucci, Grand Vizier of the Order of Wormingford, lead the hooded figure down the tight spiralling staircase into the dungeon space of the Chateau de Katzenee, the wall mounted emergency lighting glowing a dull green giving off an unearthly tint to the descent.

"Tell me Hansel Gothenburg, Lord of the North East what do you know of the spiritual significance of the chameleon to the Bantu faith in Africa?" Giovani asked, as they reached a metal door with an attached biometric security system.

"I know very little of that particular story." Hansel replied. "Only that the chameleon failed to deliver a message proclaiming that the life of men would be everlasting. The reptile was slothful and greedy allowing a gecko to deliver a message that all men would be doomed to die, thus damming all humanity."

"You are indeed correct, and now we have our very own chameleons stalking the world, ones who use secrecy as effectively as we have." Giovani announced as the biometric system read the features of his hands and eyes before opening the door with a grinding screech. "We are forced to strike like vipers and keep hidden like their prey when discovered, and we have been discovered by this Dot Comelon who like the gecko stole a great treasure from us."

"What would you ask of me Grand Vizier?" Hansel asked, as the pair of them walked into the dungeon chamber and came to a stop besides a modern looking cell sunk into the rock of the castle. "If you ask it I will find this Dot Comelon and brings its head back to the lodge along with the treasure it stole from us."

"That will not be necessary Lord Gothenburg." Giovani stated, as the tinted plastic panel on the front of the cell door lightened just enough to reveal a humanoid shape inside. "We captured this creature just outside Maralinga. Initially we thought it was the last of the Line of Minos, but know we know that the beast metamorphosed from its base form due to atomic energy exposure." He turned to Hansel and smiled as he moved to one side giving the lord a glimpse of the horned figure inside.

"What purpose can this synthetic minotaur have in the capture of our prey?" Hansel asked, as Giovani brought out a manila envelope out of the folds of his robes and handed it to his subordinate. Opening it, Hansel removed half a dozen stills of a facility sunken into the rock of an island. "What am I looking at?"

"A facility known as the Cove situated on the Isle of Lewis. We seek a device confiscated from one of the prisoners held there, one that will not only insure an end to the war with the creatures of the Otherworld but also allow us to remain hidden." Giovani explained. "But you are to remain covert, that is why you will have control of the bull. He is your wall breaker, your distraction and you are the man who will bring victory to our order. The war will be over soon, and humanity not these low creatures will be victorious."

Doctor Verisimilitude sat in the break room, his fingers tapping the screen as he played his game of Farmville 3. Taking a sip from his coffee he looked over at the red haired woman sitting at the other end of the table scribbling notes down on a stack of lined paper. "So Doctor Cheeseman you busy tonight?"

"Yes Doctor Verisimilitude, you're not the only one who was brought here for this project." Cheeseman replied before going back to her notes. "Just as you've been paid to psychoanalyze subject twenty, I've been paid to taxonomically classify the species of worms that infest het body. Now please let me get back to work, the sooner I finish the sooner I can get back to my fiancé and my wedding." She added as the door to the break room opened and a woman dressed in a suit walked in, her cane tapping with each step. Dr Verisimilitude couldn't help but stare, the woman's left cheek had collapsed in on itself, and her ribs looked like they'd buckled under some immense pressure.

"Just a reminder, Governess Montgomery will be arriving for a progress report on subject twenty, I expect the two of you to have something to report by then." The warden stated as she snatched Dr. Verisimilitude's phone away before walking over to Dr Cheeseman and shook her head and ripped the front page off, the paper doodled with the image of a woman in a bridal gown. "These distractions will not be tolerated.""

"Don't you have a heart?" Verisimilitude asked. "Any kind of emotion?"

"My ex-husband was ruled by emotion, Maxwell flew into such brutal rages at the smallest provocation and he passed it onto my daughter." The Warden stated. "She did this to me when she was nine because I wouldn't buy a toy for her. It didn't matter that I planned to get it for her birthday in a few weeks, she wanted it now and she was ready to beat me for it. Emotions are a weakness Doctor, finish your work and you can leave, but until then I want Subject Twenty to receive your full attention, do you understand me?"

"Yes Warden." The two doctors mumbled as the older woman clattered away on her cane, before looking at each other for a brief second and then hanging their heads as they got up from the table and headed out of the breakroom and into a long corridor lined with mostly empty cells. "If I miss out on those new premium items there will be hell to pay." Verisimilitude mumbled to himself. “I don't even know what they even want to do with that thing."

"Simple Doctor." A voice echoed from one of the cells. "Here's a hint; Tools of Warfare (7)."

"Who are you?" Verisimilitude gasped as he looked frantically around the corridor.

"Answer the question Doctor." The voice ordered. Without hesitating Verisimilitude gave his answer. "They're weapons of course, I still don't understand what you mean by weapons. Subject Twenty is dangerous but she can't be controlled."

"That's your role, you are akin to a shaper of metals (10)." The informant explained.

"I'm a Psychiatrist not a Blacksmith. I don't see how my work could make Subject Twenty any more dangerous than she already is?" Vermistude spluttered as he began to walk away from the cell.

"Oh you'll come to understand 'blacksmith'," The voice hissed, "and when you do the pair of us will finish our little game on the main stage."

Eka held Ashiwara's hand as they walked into the hospital room where the woman who'd saved the life of the little girl lay, her skin gleaming softly under the lights as she laid staring at the ceiling. Releasing Ashiwara, Eka bowed his head as he removed the stuffed Sylveon plushie from the bag followed by a small bouquet of flowers, both of which were placed on the cabinet beside the bed.

"Thank you for rescuing my daughter." Eka announced, as the woman struggled to sit up, her eyes looking over him with a mixture of sorrow and relief. "The nurse said that your skin healing was a miracle, I couldn't believe that you had been healed especially when they found the driver."

"Please don't tell me." The patient said weakly as she removed the plushie and held it close to her chest.

"Thank you for saving me." Ashiwara chirped, as she popped up next to the bed. "You're like Suephro and Dragonfire mixed into one." She added as the feed moved towards the next room where a hazmat tent had been erected over a bed. Pausing the image, the figure sitting in the darkened room tapped the screen, the driving licence of one Julian Flores popped up."

"Disengage Marcus, the internal feed for both rooms are stable and operating at optimum levels." A metallic sounding voice stated, as the figure touched the screen, the light shining from the monitor revealing a hand punctured with cables and supporting a biometric scanner in the palm. "Case 9-14 can wait, the truck carrying the chemical was registered to Ceres Agricultural Research and Development, but running through the public data I can't find any product advertised that has the same side effect as those that happened to Miss Butters and Mr Flores."

"I assume it's the standard server hack routine then Dot?" Marcus asked as he walked past both live feeds towards the door out of the ward.

"Affirmative, standard gear should suffice." Dot Comelon replied, as the communication link was terminated. Tapping the screen again feed of another hospital room appeared, this one featuring a young woman lying comatose on the bed connected to numerous medical equipment and computers. "They slipped up again Dot," Comelon hissed. "Ceres slipped up five years after you blew the whistle on their safety record. It's finally time to get justice for you and everyone else connected to the Santiago Report. It's five years too late but it's finally here."

"So is this guy Porteus?" Robbie asked as Suephro dodged a flying Buick launched at her by the Cyclops, before cutting through a second vehicular missile thrown her way with her war-axe.

"I wish, this is Arges, one of the Cyclops Smiths of Olympus and a fine warrior." Suephro replied as Arges slammed the last car down onto her shoulders, the weight and strength of the giant forcing the concrete to crack around the heroine before a massive foot slammed into her knocking her back several blocks along the street. "My father is a two faced grain administrator who avoids the glory of battle for more trivial pursuits. Come to think of it you two would probably get on."

"It beats being pummelled by that guy." Robbie stated, as Arges bent down to pick an item off the ground. "I mean could it hurt to talk to your dad this..."

"A BM27 Launch System!" Suephro gasped with glee as Arges shouldered the sixteen barrelled missile launcher on his shoulder, Robbie's comment going unnoticed or more likely ignored. "Arges you must tell me where you got that, it's the accessory I've been looking for, it goes with almost everything I own."

"Picked it up in Ukraine on Zeus's 3000th anniversary of his Stag Night. Ares started an armed struggle, you would have enjoyed it, it was far better than the paintballing Morpheus suggested." Arges announced as he fired a missile down the street. Calmly Suephro waited until the last moment and stepped to one side, her axe cutting through the projectile, the warhead exploding in a blinding flash.

"Okay now you we're blind, all because you won't..." Robbie began to say, only for Suephro to yell. "Give me another!" Grinning with amusement Arges fired a second missile, only for his target to deflect the projectile back at Arges, the round slamming into his belly with a street shattering BOOM. Not wasting any time Suephro charged at her foe as he put down the missile launcher and swiped at the demi-goddess only for her to scamper up his arm towards his face. Her vision still blurred the heroine rose her axe and swung it down towards Arges eye.

"Nice try!" Arges cackled, as Suephro's axe bounced off the surface of the eye, the impact sending Suephro sailing back first onto the ground and revealing an electronic lens over her intended target. "This device does more than protect my eye, it allows me to see hidden things such as the release of soul energy coming off your body or like that gas main you're lying on." He added as he removed a three foot long metal spike and slammed it down through the road next to Suephro.

"What did he mean soul energy?" Robbie asked as Suephro got to her feet and sprinted away from Arges just as a seismic pulse radiated out of the spire detonating the gas main, the explosion radiating down the street in a wall of flame. "And why won't you talk to your father?"

"I have no idea." Suephro replied as Arges removed the spike and threw it down the street into the side of the building closest to his adversary, the vibrations radiating up and down the structure. "As for my father, he tried to force me into a marriage with the Shinto God Namazu." She added as the side of the building collapsed, burying her in an avalanche of debris.

"Selfish goddess, your marriage would have cemented an alliance against the destroyer Maheswaran!" Arges boomed, as he approached the pile of debris, the shockwaves caused by his feet causing more masonry to collapse onto the heap. "She killed herself to prevent being married but preserved a parasitic piece of her essence in a suit of ceremonial armour. Most of it was lost to time, but one piece endured, one piece allowed her to drain her host's life-force to fuel her need for combat."

"You're...you're killing me?" Robbie gasped as Suephro smashed through the pile of masonry, her axe raised, only for a giant fist to knock her backwards again. Not wasting any time Arges removed a loop of fine silk and threw it around the demi-goddess before pulling it taunt, his thrashing prey coming to a halt, her eyes boring into him with volcanic fury.

"I got that from the dwarves, sometimes it pays to outsource your work." Arges stated. "The unbreakable filament has a charm placed on it. Your host now has control of muscle and voice while bound by the chain. Listen kid, this is your chance to be free. Throw the helm away and, not only reclaim your life but help save all reality as well. It's a fair deal, fairer then anything she's ever offered you I wager."

"It's really my choice?" Robbie asked, his words in her voice shocking him slightly. "There is no choice, I've already made my decision."

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@impurestcheese: Quick phone notes

Ashiwara is Eka's daughter not sister.

The warden says her husband did something to her but then there's no reveal. Is it a scar or she point to something? It's a curious line hence I ask what has happened to her

Love that the Order know about the Cove.

Maralinga? South Australia nuclear tests made synthetic Minotaurs??? Will read over that again later.

You seemed to revel in the Suephro bit, everyone seems to for some reason.

Will do more later but that's my initial first glance review. Oh and what is the first name of Rosenberg from Draculina? It's doing my head in!!!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Okay changed Sister to Daughter.

The reveal is the fact one side of her face is caved in, and that her ribs are compressed. Max is not a gentle soul when he's all riled up

The Minotaur is one of Wildvine's characters. You know the bull that mutated when exposed to radiation.

And yes I do love Suephro.

As for Draculina, never played it so I can't help you I'm afraid

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ooh. Cliffhanger ending, love it. Good stuff, can't wait to read what happens in the next issue.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Thanks I try, that Cyclops was a god send as it gave me some Suephro stuff to write about.

@batkevin74: Oh that, it's Viktor, was to be explained in the non-existence Part 2

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: other questions from the phone before I start work

The warden? Is that Sasha, Max Efforts ex and Min Efforts mother?

Governess Montgomery? Same name or is it Inessa Montgomery aka Dragonfire??

Santiago report?? This reminds me of something you wrote somewhere else in one of your myriad of FF's.

Suephro has an axe: cool!!!

A proper look over when I get to a computer tomorrow/tomorrow's tomorrow even. It's good, well done

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Potentiality yes to Inessa and Sasha although that is up to others to decide.

Waezi added the axe last issue, praise him for that not me

Don't remember the Santiago Report but that means nothing considering how much I write

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@impurestcheese: Nice. I especially liked what you did with the cyclops giving him a modern weapon and all. And you even made an implication to Eka's past(?).

And we got some more Cove details!

One thing though: When Arges says "Arges started an armed struggle, you would have enjoyed it, it was far better than the paintballing Morpheus suggested.", did you mean Ares, another Arges, or is he just talking about himself in third person?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Crud I meant Ares not Arges, and yes Arges is smart, he's one of the elder cyclops who were titans in all but name. They sided with the Olympians after Zeus freed them from prison. Thanks for the comments

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By waezi2
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

So I guess I gotta deal with the Ed in space thing. Great chapter, I loved the reveal that Suehpro was feeding off Robbie.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Yeah it is an interesting twist, and I guess yes, had no idea how to advance that story line TBH

@waezi2:He and his brothers Steropes and Brontes yes

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 1 idea for the Ed thing but just a warning it pretty much has to affect the other plot lines at some point.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: You don't have to write anyone you don't want too. Ed can stay on the moon while you explore Marcus or Mythic Man or Max or whoever.

@impurestcheese: Okay in front of a computer, phones too small. Good chapter

Asides from what I raised/asked/queried earlier a few things

"The war will be over soon, and humanity not these low creatures will be victorious." Very nice! It's nice to have hope Giovanni but somethings tells me you're wrong :)

"If I miss out on those new premium items there will be hell to Verisimilitude mumbled to himself. “I don't even know what they even want to do with that thing." Okay you're missing a word, some "quotation/speech" marks after to.

"Here's a hint; Tools of Warfare (7)." "That's your role, you are akin to a shaper of metals (10)" Okay I get they're in game items /cryptic clues for the Doc but the bracket numbers? I don't know HOW you'd say it? Does the mystery voice actually say bracket 7 or...it's minor but I don't get the number tags

My father is a two faced grain administrator who avoids the glory of battle for more trivial pursuits That's an excellent sentence! Bravo

"As for my father, he tried to force me into a marriage with the Shinto God Namazu." "Selfish goddess, your marriage would have cemented an alliance against the destroyer Maheswaran!" Arges boomed, as he approached the pile of debris, the shockwaves caused by his feet causing more masonry to collapse onto the heap. "She killed herself to prevent being married but preserved a parasitic piece of her essence in a suit of ceremonial armour. Most of it was lost to time, but one piece endured, one piece allowed her to drain her host's life-force to fuel her need for combat." Wow Suephro has some excellent evolving backstory and history being invented here

Good work.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Oh, no. I got ideas for Ed and it actually ties in with Eunice too. I even thought up a nice side plot for Suehpro based on what we just learned in this chapter.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Edited.

As for the Order maybe, but then they are outnumbered and out-gunned it seems.

I do imagine Conundrum saying open bracket-number-close bracket, he's not the most stable of people to be fair, he does after all use giant crossword mazes to commit crimes.

As for the rest, thank you for the comments. Porteus actually does have two faces in most images just like the more well known Janus

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@impurestcheese:

Very cool you went back to the Order. I was a little surprised they had Char Brawl, mostly because I couldn't imagine where he would pop up. One question, they referred to him as synthetic, and Giovanni says the other guy will have control. So have they implanted some control device in the beasts brain? I'm down with that, just curious.

pt 2; A new character and you tied the Max Effort story into this. But that makes new questions. Is the warden Minnie's mother or just an ex of Max? Is she manipulating these different characters for some reason? Or is Minnie's mother a different woman? And if the is related to Dragonfire how does she play into this? These are critiques, just real questions I'm wondering now.

p3; Even more questions. Lol. If Suephro transferred herself into a suit of armor, could other pieces be recovered? Would they have the same effect if donned by a person? Is the helmet a fracture of her personality?

I liked this overall. The character connections feel solid, and you took some plotlines in directions I didn't expect.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Thanks, my favourite lecturer always said every question is a compliment, so I'm pretty happy with all these queries

That's a good question, one the next writer has to answer. As for Char Brawl, he's synthetic because he's not from the line of Minos (the owner of the original Minotaur) and as such was created by forces outside the normal 'the gods forced me to do it'.

I imagined Sasha as the warden but it's up to someone else to confirm or deny this, as per the nature of the group. Dragonfire is potentially the governess, but again it's up to others not me.

As for Suephro, I imagine that the pieces of armour would have the same effect if they were still around. Arges said there were lost to time so they may be destroyed for all we know, then again Arges may be a liar. Not sure about fractured personalities, maybe.

Also @batkevin74 didn't realise a Pokemon sneaked into the Kick-A-Long Saga.

Sylveon's Revenge
Sylveon's Revenge

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@impurestcheese: on my phone, and have to get back to work. Read it, liked it. Will tune in on all else when I get my net connection back. It's down.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers