Herd of Bandits Chapter 11

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikesterman

So that's how I single-handedly exposed General Moss' corruption, and proved my innocence. Unfortunately The Union wanted to keep this scandal hidden from the public, so they gave me an honorable discharge." Terry ended his story with a proud smile.

Isi and Julius were very impressed by the feats Terry achieved in the story. They didn't know it was almost completely made up. Terry's mother however, looked unconvinced. He pretended not to notice.

"So." Terry said, trying to change the subject. "Enough about me, how have you been Ma?"

"Terrence. You never were really good at lying to me."

"He was lying?" Julius asked in disbelief. Isi looked shocked as well.

"You could fool anyone else Terry, but you can't fool me." She said. "Now, spit out the truth."

Terry looked down in shame. "Ok Ma. What really happened was-"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Whoo where are we?" Deacon asked. His new pal Phil had just taken him to a different town. While it had already gotten dark, the people were not sleeping. It was just as busy as Colfox.

"This is Pineville." Phil answered. "How you like it?"

"I love it! Almost as much as Colfox."

Deacon looked around and found the saloon. He was about to enter it when he felt Phil pull on the back of his collar.

"Oh, we ain't going in there."

"But you said there was going to be alcohol."

"Yeah there is." Phil said. "Much more than in there."

Deacon eagerly followed Phil to what seemed to be an abandoned house. Phil knocked eight times in a rhythmic fashion and the door opened. They were welcomed by a sinister looking white man. The room was lit up by many candles, and a lot of men were sitting in chairs and there was a man speaking in the front. It reminded Deacon of church.

"My Brothers!" the man in the front said. "The day of reckoning is at hand."

Deacon's eyes scanned the room for alcohol. He saw a man come up some stairs that led to the basement. He had a bottle of whiskey in his hands. While the man in the front was still talking, Deacon slipped away from the crowd and hurried to the basement.

"For years we watched as the once lovely town known as Colfox, become overrun with the filthy Ruff-heads." The man in the front said. "While we hoped that the unintelligible creatures would eventually die out amongst themselves, they have managed to stick around. Like a virus, they are sucking up that good land for themselves. While good men like our brother, Sheriff Bernard of Rustown, wallow in a cloud of dust and poverty."

"Not for long!" The dirty sheriff yelled to the speaker. He was clearly enjoying this."

"I say. How long before they run out of space and try to branch out into our lovely towns and infect it with their filth?"

"Hell no!" The crowd said in unison.

"I call for a purge." Let's be the antidote for the virus that those Ruff-heads are, and clean up Colfox. We will make it a place that our children, and grandchildren would be proud to inherit."

"Yeah!!" The crowd yelled.

"I am Jonesy Calvin. Will you ride with me to battle?"

The crowd screamed in agreement.

"Alright. Tonight White Out, will erase the color!"

The speech really riled the group of men up. Phil looked around for Deacon but couldn't find him.

"I hear we have a new member. Phillip, bring him up, so we may welcome him among the White Out ranks."

"Well, actually." Phil said nervously. "I can't find him."

Calvin gave a disappointed look "Ok? Let us go down to the cellar. We will drink and prepare ourselves for the purge."

The entire group headed downstairs and found all the bottles of liquor emptied and scattered around the floor. They found Deacon, face down on the floor.

"Deacon!" Phil screamed. His worries were immediately shut down by the sound of Deacon snoring.

"This is our new member?" Calvin asked. He looked at Phi with a mad face. "All of us were supposed to recruit a new member. This guy is an obvious disappointment. Phil you are risking your own membership."

"Please. I'll wake him up and we will proceed as planned, just give me another chance." Phil pleaded.

Calvin just rolled his eyes. "Fine. But hurry up.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"So that's what happened Ma." Terry said. He was really ashamed that he had to tell his mom about stealing from the government. He did leave out how him and a group of soldiers murdered a High ranking General for his Goldenwood rifle.

"How could you do this?" His mother asked in an angry tone. "I go through all that to give you a proper life, and you throw it away like that?"

Isi and Julius just stepped back a little. This was starting to get awkward, and they wanted no part of it.

"I'm sorry Ma." Terry said.

"Sorry ain't gonna get you out of this mess you're in. Wait. You were sentenced to death, how did you escape?"

"I met this man. He saved my life Ma, so now I'm working with him and Isi."

"Really?" She said sarcastically. "What business could a wanted man like yourself be able to do?"

"We're… outlaws."

"Outlaws? Oh lord have mercy." She said resting her hand on her head. "I know that rich family that took you in didn't raise you to be no crook."

"Ok Ma, so I'm not on the right side of the law, but it's different this time."

"Really?" She said unconvinced. "How?"

Terry hesitated. He didn't know how to explain his current predicament. "I don't know Ma, it just is. And besides, I have no choice. Owe him my life."

Hi mother looked down in disappointment. "This man you are referring to, would it happen to be that racist that was here earlier?"

"Yes." Terry said bluntly. "He saved my life Ma, I owe him."

His mother looked at Isi. "And what do you have to do with this?"

Isi looked down. "He saved my life too."

"Well…" His mother started. "Go get him. Bring him here."

"Huh?" Isi and Terry both said in unison.

"Bring him here." She repeated. "If he saved your life, then shouldn't we be thanking him instead of throwing him out like we did?"

Terry smiled.

"Well, what are you two waiting for go. Letting us throw him out like that? Have you no manners?"

"Alright Ma, I'll be back."

The two left the saloon and went to the entrance of the town.

"Deacon!" Terry yelled. "Come on out you dumbass."

"Deacon? Where are you?"

"Deacon?!"

"He's not here anymore." Terry said.

"Do you think he's okay?" Isi asked in a worried tone.

"Isi… This is Deacon we are talking about. The guy who moves faster than our eyes can see and hits harder than stone walls."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

Deacon was awoken by a hand striking him across the face. The shock of the sudden attack made him jolt awake.

"Gah!" He exclaimed. When he opened his eyes, he saw a blurry version of Phil in front of him.

"Wake up." He said. "We are about to head out?"

"Head out? What? What time is it?"

"Never mind that. You already got me in trouble, don't screw up anymore, for my sake."

Deacon slowly got up. His head was spinning and it was hard for him to keep balanced. After a few minutes of holding onto a chair, he recovered. His snake bite helps fight off the effects of alcohol faster than regular people.

"I'm surprised your still standing." Phil said. "You drank our entire cellar dry."

"Yeah. You lied to me. You said there was going to plenty of alcohol. This was hardly enough."

Phil thought Deacon was joking, until he noticed his serious face."

"What are we doing anyways?" Deacon asked.

"No time to explain Just put this on."

Phil handed him a white robe. After Deacon got dressed, he was handed a matching rectangular shaped hat with eye holes cut out.

"This is pretty cool." He said.

"Just you wait, the cool part is coming."

Deacon followed Phil to a room where others were dressed just like them. They were all crowded toward the door. One person walked in front of them all and started speaking Deacon assumed this was the guy who was speaking earlier.

"Brothers! Now we move on to claim what is rightfully ours. Today, the name White Out will be feared throughout all the lands."

"What is this guy talking about?" Deacon joked. Phil quickly shushed him.

The door opened and they all marched out. Somebody outside of the house started handing them all rifles.

"Oh, so we're going hunting?" Deacon asked.

"You bet." Phil answered.

Deacon received his rifle, and they all marched out of the town. Two of the men with them were pushing a giant cart on wheels. It had a tarp over it, so Deacon couldn't make out what it was.

After a few miles, Deacon saw a familiar sight. It was the big homely sign that read: Welcome to Colfox.

"What are we doing here?" Deacon asked, confused.

One of the men pulled the tarp off the cart, revealing a cannon.

"Wait. No." Deacon thought as he watched them load it, and then fuse it.

KOOM!

The sound of the cannon firing was deafening. Deacon looked at its target, the saloon he was drinking at hours earlier. With the sound of the cannon, the people inside the city ran out of their homes. This caused all the hooded men to run after him. The sound of gunshots soon followed.

"Ain't this great?" Phil asked Deacon. "Now you can repay those no good Ruff-heads for throwing you out. Speaking of which-" Phil saw the Julius running around frantically, trying to help the other citizens. "I got me a big one right here."

Phil aimed his gun. Right when he had a clear shot, he went to squeeze the trigger. He was interrupted by a forceful punch hitting the back of his head and causing him to hit the ground immediately.

"Damn, one of them got me from behind." He thought. "Deacon's probably already-" He felt the front of his robes being tugged. His assailant was wearing the White Out clothes.

"You little scumbag." Deacon said in an angry voice. "You and the rest of these guys are gonna pay."

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop@impurestcheese Deacon finds out the truth of his new "friend." While Terry has to explain to his mother that he is an outlaw.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@mikesterman: Hmm, why do the White Out cult seem so familiar...

Then again all hate-mongers sound the same no matter who they are ranting against

Also one of your Terry's is missing a capital letter, just pointing it out for when you edit it. :-)

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikesterman

@impurestcheese: yeah. I was going for that... :) it's hard coming up with a hate speech when you're not really a hateful person. I hope I made it sound believable.

And thanks. I fixed it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@mikesterman: Whiteout wasn't around back then, so the name White Out seems odd, but it's not really a problem. There are punctuation errors throughout, and a few places where the quotation marks are all out of whack. Still, the story here is waaaay better than the first nine chapters. Nice job.

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: thank you. I am an ever evolving pokemon.