Fan Fic Review S2: Horror Classics Jekyll and Hyde

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#1 wildvine  Moderator

Sure its been a year and some change but we're still on season 2. Because.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is one of my favorite classic stories. And clearly it isn’t just me given the number of adaptations that have been made, from the straightforward to parody to at least one adult film (Don’t ask how I know about that) So I was interested to say the least when I found this series by Waizi2.

No need for a plot recap since this is basically the same story and that’s kind the strength and the weakness of it. On one hand the writing is good and there’s nothing that really annoys me, but on the other hand there’s nothing fresh here either. Dr Jekyll is kind of a douche so his plight doesn’t have any impact. Which kind of makes it pointless since we don’t see much of Hyde’s villainy either. The father/son dynamic is creepy and different but doesn’t really go anywhere.

I can’t be too hard because this isn’t bad at all. But it isn’t amazing either. Short and to the point but suffers a couple typos. ⅗ stars

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@wildvine: Yeah, I have considered rewriting it, fixing mistakes and stuff. I might do it when I get my Christmas vacation.

I get your problem with the lack of Hyde, but the story is told from the "good" doctor's perspective and is about Jekyll living without knowing what the heck is going on around him, making him feel powerless and trapped. And yeah, he is bit of a douche, but hey; he INVENTED Hyde in order to feel that he could sin as much as he liked as long as he technically didn't do it. That's bit of a jerkmove.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wildvine  Moderator

Ahem

And yeah, he is bit of a douche, but hey; he INVENTED Hyde in order to feel that he could sin as much as he liked as long as he technically didn't do it. That's bit of a jerkmove.

Yeah. Him being a douche was my point. It dilutes Hyde being the bad side if Jekyll himself is bad.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: He still is. Just wanted to show that Jekyll wasn't a saint. But then again, that's adaptations for ya; sometimes it works, other times... not so much.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wildvine  Moderator

@waezi2: Yes.... that's what I said. Not sure you're getting my point. The issue is not Jekyll being a douche. The problem is Hyde's villainy isn't bad enough to shine past Jekyll's inherent doucheness.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Oh that? That was intended. Jekyll is the true villain in my adaptation. His life is a nightmare, and he only has himself to blame. And instead of killing himself, he makes himself Hyde permanently to get revenge on his "son"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Without going back to re-read it, I remember that I enjoyed this series immensely. I get wanting to see bigger divergence between the two, but that's the truth of a split personality- it's still the same person no matter how different the personalities seem.