DC Mayhem Presents: Sensation Comics #4

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Delphic

Acknowledgements: Well it has been quite the ride everyone. It looks like this will be my last issue of Sensation Comics, and I leave it now with a heavy heart, but also with a bit of excitement as I look to the future. Mayhem has been very kind to me, and I would like to that

Sensation Comics (Over-sized Edition)

Tis the Season: Part Four

Dec. 24, 2012 3:29 PM

Kitrina was never the biggest fan of hospital food. She held up the cardboard like Salisbury, eying it with disgust, and made a sort of grunting noise before setting it back down on the plate.

“You know, sometimes I think I would have preferred freezing to death over having to eat this crap.” She said to the woman sitting across from her, sitting up wearing a leopard print long sleeve blouse, and leather pants.

Selina had never been the type to dress casual for her daytime outings. Kitrina had learned from her short time period as her working partner. Selina had a sort of appreciation for the finer things in life, and she would sometime wear the things she stole from the higher echelon of Gotham as a sort of trophy or statement. What she didn’t keep for herself was normally sold to fences, and the cash from that was used to buy even more nice things. This outfit Selina was wearing today was one of those stolen items she had decided to keep. Kitrina knew because she had seen Selina steal the outfit on their first outing together, when Kitrina was just starting to learn the ropes in the “Catwoman School of Burglary”.

“Don’t complain. At least you’re getting the chance to live another day. It’s already a miracle that you managed to get away from Doctor Elliot. The guy cut out my heart once, literally, but you managed claw up his ugly mug after turning yourself into a walking Popsicle.”

Selina was right. She really shouldn’t be causing a fuss. The truth was that Kitrina had barely escaped with her life a few nights ago. She had sustained not only lacerated liver, bruised ribs, a sprained ankle, and several cuts and bruises all over both wrists; she had also developed critical hypothermia. Her body temperature had dropped below eighty degrees Fahrenheit, and Selina had told her that when they rescued her she resembled a corpse. Kitrina had been very lucky though. None of her limbs had turned black, or had to be removed. For the first day she had been in intense pain, as feeling slowly come back, but today things were a little easier. She had been sewn and bandaged up, the pins and needles feeling she had felt when recovering from being numb was gone, and now she was receiving blood to replace what she had lost during her tangle with Hush.

Kitrina had really been lucky, because the thing about Dr. Thomas Elliot is that he was much more than just a typical psychopath. Doctor Thomos Elliot, also known as Hush in the criminal underworld of Gotham, had once been a great surgeon, but at some point he had gone off the deep end, cut up his own face to resemble that of Bruce Wayne in some strange attempt to get back at him, or at least that was what Selina had explained to her. Selina had also explained to Kitrina that she had suspected that Hush might be involved when she saw the operating table in the container back at the docks. She had wanted Kitrina to get away before Hush got to her, but she had no idea that he was already there, waiting for her. The only way that Batman, Nightwing, and she had found Kitrina was because of a lone bat-tracker that Selina had placed on Kitrina’s uniform.

“I suppose I should say, thank you.”

“There’s no need to thank me. I said I would help you, and I meant it, but you’re welcome anyway.”

“What happened to Hush anyway?”

“After you were taken care of, Nightwing went to help Batman. The two of them took him down pretty quickly, and took him to Arkham. When he wakes up, Batman and the Commissioner are supposed to question him.”

“So that was his equipment in that cargo container.”

“It seems that way. You never quite explained to me what you were looking for there anyway. I figured it had to do with your cousin, but I didn’t want to interfere because, I know very well what it’s like to want to settle a personal score, and the need to settle it on your own terms.” Selina’s words resonated with Kitrina, at least a little bit anyway. She highly respected her former mentor, but after what she did there was very little connection left between the two of them. At one point, Kitrina had hoped to never see her feline-loving mentor ever again, but after all that had happened, she could appreciate that Selina was at least trying to repair what damage had been done. It was more than her Uncle Mario had ever done.

“I suppose I do owe you a little bit of an explanation.”

“A little?” Selina mocked

“Don’t push it.” Kitrina retorted, “After Ana’s funeral, I got a hold of an old family friend, named Samuel Finch. He gave me some financial records of my Uncle Mario’s business dealings over the past few months. He also pointed out a name to me, a Doctor Loeb. Payments made to the docks, plus the connection Uncle Mario, and Doctor Loeb had to the records is what led me there. I was hoping I could find another lead that would lead me to Ana’s killer, and I suppose in a way it did. I figured out pretty quick that Hush had to be Doctor Loeb. It was only thing that made sense.” Kitrina sighed, “Do you think Hush, killed Ana?”

“I don’t know, but if he did there’s no way you could get to him now.” Selina replied. Kitrina looked down, and clenched the bed sheets in her palms. She felt defeated, but more than that she was angry. She was so close to getting the answers she needed, and possibly even to avenging her cousin. Now, thanks to the Bat, her one solid lead was locked behind bars, and in her current condition, she was in no shape to go trouncing into Arkham, just so she could bloody or kill the once great surgeon.

“What am I going to do, Selina?” Kitrina asked. Now that her lead was gone, she would have to start all over, and this time without a name. Perhaps she could salvage something, but it seemed almost impossible at this point. “I can’t let whoever killed Ana get away with this.”

What happened next was the last thing Kitrina expected. Selina reached up and took Kitrina’s hand, and actually smiled what actually seemed a genuine smile, and was that actually a look of sympathy coming from the Catwoman of all people?

“I know it’s hard, kiddo, and I’m not the best when it comes to doing something like this, as you probably well know, but sometimes the best way to get our vengeance on those who hurt us, is to keep moving on. I know it sucks, and it hurts like hell, but sometimes the biggest kick these assholes get out of hurting others, is seeing them hurt. When you show them that they can’t hurt you anymore, it’s like you’re spitting in their face, and I think, right now, that maybe trying to keep moving forward would help you more than anything.” After Selina finished a long silence passed between them, until Kitrina finally spoke up.

“Okay, so when did you become Granny Fortune Cookie?” Kitrina started to laugh before clutching her side, and wincing in pain. Selina drew her hand back and scrunched her face up at Kitrina.

“That’s what you get, you smart-mouth brat!” Selina spat. Kitrina was still chuckling slightly while trying to bear the pain, but despite the pain. It was the best she had felt since coming back to Gotham.

“So what have you been up too, you know before, you were pulling my frozen ass out of the river, and all?” Kitrina said still smiling.

“The usual mostly, a couple heists here, and there to get the blood pumping, taking in a stray clown, who just so happens to be just about as good as you are about giving me a heart-attack, and I almost caught myself on fire, while fighting a couple wacko’s in record store that just so happened to be ablaze.” Selina rambled causing Kitrina to stare at her in almost disbelief, much to her misfortune though Selina saw this, and grinned devilishly as she said, “I think I also managed a one-night stand with Batman somewhere in between as well.”

“EWW!!!” Kitrina wailed, “I swear Selina, sometimes you are a total Sl…” Kitrina didn’t get to finish her sentence when Selina reached up and put a finger over her mouth startling the girl.

“Na-ah! Nobody uses the S word with me. Not even you darling. Besides, you’re one to talk; you never could keep your eyes off Nightwing’s ass.” Selina teased taking her hand down from Kitrina’s face ,that just so happened to be blushing brighter than any Christmas tree in all of Gotham at that time.

“I HAVE NEVER LOOKED AT HIS ASS!” She wailed.

“Oh really, I seem to recall that one time in particular, when you said, and I quote: ‘Ugh, I hate to admit it, but Night-Jerk sure does have a cute butt.” Selina teased while mockingly imitating Kitrina’s voice.

“You’re lying, I never said that!”

“Whatever, honey, deny it all you want, but this woman knows when her Kittens see something they like.” Selina playfully stuck her tongue out at her ex-protégé who just glared at her with as much contempt as she could muster. The argument about might have continued had it not been for a knock that suddenly came at the door to Kitrina’s room. The girls suddenly straightened their demeanor as a middle aged looking gentleman with black hair showing tips of grey on the edges stuck his head in the door. He was a bit stocky, but not overweight. He wore khaki slacks, and a white sweater with a black blazer worn over it.

“Hello, I sure hope, I’m not interrupting.” He said with a thick Sicilian accent. Kitrina smiled at the man and waved, but Selina stood up and walked over to the man, a slight look of disapproval hinting at the edges of her face.

“Can I help you, sir?” Selina asked, with a slight defensive tone in her voice.

“Uh, yes ma’am, I’m just here to pick Lady Kitrina.” The man replied.

“Relax Selina,” Kitrina cut in, “This is Samuel Finch, the guy I told you about. I called him a little earlier today, and he’s going to take me back to his place where I can rest up.”

“What!?” Selina cried, “You’re in no shape to go anywhere.”

“Please, Selina, there is no way in hell I’m staying here another moment. Believe it or not, the Falcone name still has a little weight behind it, even if it is just me.” Kitrina said as Sam walked over to her bedside, “You see, Sam has been a long-time friend of my grandfather, and he even watches over my own trust fund. Even during that time I was at Ambridge, he still looked after my money, and didn’t even let Mario near it even after he tried to convince Sam that I was dead.”

“Your friend is right though, Lady Kitrina. You look like you were badly injured. Perhaps you should stay longer, and let the doctors have a closer look at you. I’m not so sure recovering in one of my guest rooms, at the bistro, is such a good idea.”

“I’m leaving this hospital Sam, and there’s nothing either of you can say that will convince me otherwise.” Kitrina said while pointing at both Selina and Sam. “Besides, the doctor’s told me that I should be cleared to go home this evening, after I finish getting the blood I need.”

Sure enough, it was as Kitrina had said, and she was taken off the blood transfusion after a short while. During the time that the blood had finished Sam and Selina talked a little more, and they seemed to be getting along fairly well. Kitrina was happy about that, Selina was a bit over protective at times, but she meant well. Sam had always been a very good friend. She never kept in contact with him due to the possibility that Mario might find out where she was. She remembered the first time she met Sam, when as a little girl she had walked in on a meeting between Sam, Mario, and her Grandfather. Mario had tried to shoo her away, but she remembered her grandfather calling her over, and setting her on his knee anyway. She also remembered how Sam had smiled at her warmly, as he had reached in his pocket and pulled out a piece of bubble-gum to give her, after asking her grandfather’s permission. Ever since that day Kitrina had loved Sam like a beloved Uncle. In truth, Sam had been more of an Uncle to her than Mario ever had.

When the minimal amount of time had passed to see if there were going to be any adverse reactions to the blood transfusion, Kitrina called for a wheelchair to be sent up to her room. As Sam was getting ready to leave to bring the car around, he turned and shook Selina’s hand one last.

“I have to admit Mr. Finch, I had you pegged wrong at first, but I suppose you seem like a pretty nice guy. Normally, I’m pretty good about reading people, but maybe she’ll be in alright hands with you.” Selina said while shaking the man’s hand.

“Thank you, ma’am, I appreciate it. I promise you she’s in safe hands with me.” Sam took his hand away then pulled out a small card from his jacket, “Take my card. It’s got the address to the Bistro on it. Feel free to stop by and visit Kitrina, anytime you would like, and if you’re feeling up to it I can cook you one of the best meals you’ve ever had.”

“I may take you up on that offer.” Selina replied with a formality that Kitrina had rarely seen. Sam said his final good-byes as he headed out to the car. A few moments laderthe nurse came in and detached all the hospital equipment from Kitrina, then stepped out while Selina stayed behind to help Kitrina into the loose fitting sweater and sweat pants that Sam had brought with him for her to change into.

The process was a little more difficult that she thought it would be. Her wounds throbbed a little, but she gritted her teeth and bared the pain.

“Kitrina, I want you to know that you don’t have to be a stranger, okay?” Selina said softly to the girl as she helped pull the sweater over the girl’s head, “I know some people who can get you set up in a nice place of your own, here in Gotham, away from all these dealings with the old crime families. You can start a whole new life again, you know?”

“Thanks for the offer Selina, really.” Kitrina replied, “I think though it time I quit running away from my past. It caught up to me the last time, I tried to live a normal life, so I think maybe it’s best if I just deal with it.”

“I suppose, I can appreciate that.” Selina sighed. Kitrina was finally dressed, and Selina helped to ease her down into the well chair. “Take care of yourself, okay. If you need anything you have my number.”

“I may just take you up on that offer about a that place you were talking about.” Kitrina smiled at her ex-mentor, and Selina smiled back. The nurse came in and got behind Kitrina, and asked her if she was ready to leave. When Kitrina acknowledged that she was ready, she looked back at her mentor, one last time.

“Merry Christmas, Selina.” Kitrina said.

“Merry Christmas, Kitrina.” Selina replied, and with that the nurse rolled Kitrina out into, and down the hallway. As she was leaving she looked back and saw a rather cute looking young guy, with dark hair, and a nice ass, approach Selina with a bouquet of flowers stuffed into a vase. She saw a few words being exchanged between the two of them, but if it was one thing she was never quite good at it was reading lips. Still despite that Kitrina could have sworn that from what little experience she did have reading lips, Selina referred to the guy as “boy wonder”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 31, 2004

She was here again. Eight years old in the long hallway. The big white door. Her grandfather’s office. Tabacco smell. Her grandfather lying down in a pool of blood. The man with two faces standing above her.

“Adios Kid,” he said as he brought up the still smoking gun.

A crash. A bat. Gunfire. The boy that pulled her away. She looked back. Her grandfather’s eyes still starring at her, saying “I love you” over and over again.

“Grandpa!” She cried. As she was swept up into the air. She cried, and cried, and cried. The boy wearing bright clothes of red, and green, and yellow, hugged her tight as she cried.

“That’s enough, Kid. It’s going to be alright.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 25, 2012 5:05 AM

The nightmare had plagued Kitrina’s dreams for years. She used to wake up in tears from it, but now she just slowly opened her eyes, set up on the bed, and ran on hand through her hair while taking a deep breath. She wasn’t used to it. What girl could get used to seeing their grandfather murdered over and over again. The truth was that she had accepted it. Grandpa was dead, and there was nothing she could do about it. Those were the good days of her life in the Falcone family. The days of warm hugs by grandpa, the smell of sweet tobacco on his clothes, and then there were the presents. Her grandfather had always showered her with gifts, on her Birthday and Christmas day.

It wasn’t about the gifts though, it was about her grandpa. She knew the truth. Grandpa had once been the most ruthless mobster in Gotham. Her grandpa killed, smuggled, and stole and often from those who had nothing to give. She knew the truth, but she still clung tightly to the memories. Her grandfather was not Carmine Falcone, the man who robbed Gotham, he was her Grandpa, the man who had always took her up and gave her these great big hugs. She missed him.

That was her childhood though, and that was gone now. Grandpa was never coming back, and neither was Ana. Kitrina was finally starting to accept it, and it amazed her just how much easier it was becoming. She had not even cried at Ana’s funeral, and Ana had been the one thing left from the Falcone family that she treasured. To have something that precious ripped away from you was just indescribable. It was easier to accept, because of the one useful thing her Uncle Mario had told her, on the Christmas Eve after her Grandfather and her Mother had been killed. Kitrina remembered how alone she had felt, and how Mario had come to her one Christmas Eve night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 24, 2004 8:49 PM

“Hey doll, why you cryin’? It’s Christmas Eve. A pretty doll like you should be happy.” Uncle Mario said, as tears streamed down the little girl’s cheek. Mario had come into the room after he had heard the little girl crying.

“I had a bad dream.” She blubbered.

“Oh, what about?” Mario asked

“About grandpa. I miss him.”

“Yeah, I know doll. I do too. He left Uncle with lot things to take care off. I could really use his help right now.”

“Really?”

“Yep, even a little girl who cries about bad dreams.” Mario whispered. Kitrina stopped crying and gasped for air, “You see doll, one day you’re going to grow up to be a strong young lady of the Falcone family. Grandpa would be very mad to see you cryin’ like you are. You don’t want to let Grandpa down do you?” Kitrina reached up, and wiped the tears away as fast as she could, and shook her head. Her lip was still quivering, so she bit it to make sure she could hide all signs of crying. Mario smiled at her and patted her on the head.

“That’s a good doll.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dec 25, 2012 5:10 AM

Till this day, even though Mario was now worm food, Kitrina hated the word: doll, but despite Mario’s cruel words to the little girl she had once been, she did grow up to be a strong lady of the Falcone family, and she was sure she had not let her grandfather down. She was just glad Mario was no longer around, and she could only imagine what hell Ana had to put up with when her father had been around. At least now, he would never have the chance to hurt Ana, and neither could he hurt her.

“Ugh, why the hell am I thinking about this crap again!?” Kitrina thought to herself, as she eased herself out of the bed. She winced in pain as both sock-covered feet hit the floor. The shift in pressure, and tensing of muscles caused her injuries to flare slightly. At least she was warm, thanks to the sweatpants, and long sleeved shirt she had worn to bed. She could hear a bit of commotion going on outside her door, and a dim light was shining through the cracks. She took small easy steps toward the door, being sure the grab a hold of what she could to help as a brace.

She eased open the door to Samuel Finch’s studio apartment, which was set up above his popular Italian bistro. It was a rather modest setting, but it was large enough to accommodate a small family. Kitrina briefly wondered why Sam had never married. He was getting up in age now, but Kitrina had always known him as a very nice man. Had he wanted to, he should have had no problem catching him a nice girl to settle down with, but he never did, and Kitrina supposed that his reasons were his own, so she did not entertain the thought a second longer.

The light was coming from the bottom of the stairs, and Kitrina could make out now the various sounds of a cook at work. Grabbing hold of the rail, and taking the venture one step at a time Kitrina eased herself down the stairs. After stopping to catch her breath a few times, she finally made it near the bottom. The kitchen was lit up, and Sam was at one of the stoves cooking up a storm. The smell of crispy bacon and fresh eggs filled her senses, and suddenly she heard her stomach start to growl, and apparently so did Sam, when he turned and smiled at her.

“Good morning Lady Kitrina, I hope you slept well.”

“Good morning Sam, and I suppose I’ve had worse nights.” She replied.

“Seeing as what you’ve been through, I would agree.” Sam said before pausing a moment to turn back to his cooking. “I had intended to fix you breakfast in bed, but I supposed you couldn’t wait. Are you hungry?”

“Starving actually,” Kitrina replied. Sam reached and grabbed a plate, and set two fresh eggs cooked over easy, and three slices of bacon on it before setting it down on one of the tables in the kitchen. He then quickly went out to the dining area, and came back with a chair for her to sit in. He even took the gentlemanly demeanor a step further, as he helped Kitrina into her chair.

Kitrina wasn’t really used to the hospitality, but she welcomed it. She had never had Sam’s cooking before, but had heard that he was quite the cook, and truth be told it wasn’t that bad. Of course, after all you’ve had in the past several days is hospital food, and river water, almost anything would taste good. Sam stood there and watched her eat for a few seconds, before he held up his hand and said,

“Hold on a second, I have something I want to give you.” He said, before he ran upstairs. Kitrina could hear a bit of rustling going on up there, but a short while later he came back down. In his hand was clutched a small red box wrapped with a green ribbon.

“I got this for you.” Sam said as he held the box out to her.

“Aw, thank you, Sam” She said taking it from him. She was a little excited to be honest, because she had truthfully not received an actual present from anyone in quite some time.

“I was going to give it too you a little later, but I figured what the heck ya know.” Sam said as Kitrina undid the ribbon, and removed the lid. What was inside was something she never thought she would have ever seen again. Inside was a large silver ring adorned with a red stone with a line of diamonds encircling it, and in the middle of the red stone there was a tiny golden “F” engraved into the surface. The ring was covered in scratches, the bottom of the ring was bent, and some of the diamonds were missing.

“It was your grandfather’s. The entire male heads of the Falcone family would wear a ring just like that. Your grandfather was the only one who had two. One he wore for special occasions, and another that he wore to business. The nicer one was buried with him, but the other was left with me, and it’s been in my possession for a while, but I think he would have wanted you to have it.” Sam said.

Kitrina knew the ring very well. She had toyed with it several times while sitting on her grandfather’s lap as a child. She wanted to say thank you, but she was at a complete loss for words as she cupped the tiny piece of jewelry in her hands and ran her finger around the rim. It was mostly worn away, but she could still partially make out the name: “Carmine Falcone” engraved on the inside of the ring. For a brief moment in time, everything seemed perfect in Kitrina’s little world.

“Merry Christmas, doll.” Sam said to her with a smile.

Kitrina froze. For a second she was not sure she had heard Sam right, but there was no mistaking what he had called her.

As she slowly looked up at Sam, a barrage of thoughts flooded her mind. Sam had been the first and only person she went to for help, when she had decided she was going to track down Ana’s killer. It had also been Sam who had first mentioned the name Doctor Loeb. Doctor Loeb, who just so happened to be the psychotic ex-surgeon known as Hush, had been waiting for her, and the way he had trapped her had been meticulously prepared, almost as if he had known she was going to be there. If Sam had volunteered that information to Hush, then that would also explain how Hush knew who she was, but that wasn’t what disturbed Kitrina the most. Hush had also asked her on that cold morning: “Is Mario Falcone dead?”

At the time, Kitrina had feared for her life, so any thought as to why Hush would ask such a thing had slipped her mind. Now she had a sinking feeling in her gut. A feeling that she knew why Hush had asked her that question. She just needed to know for sure.

“Um…Thanks Sam,” Kitrina stammered, “Merry Christmas to you too.”

“Don’t mention it.” Sam said. He took a rag out of his back pocket and began wiping his hands, and threw it over his shoulder as he turned to go and start cleaning up the kitchen. When he turned Kitrina got the answer she was looking for. At the base of Sam’s neck was a fresh scar. A single line running from the base of his neck that disappeared into the hair line, but Kitrina was pretty sure it went up into his scalp. On each side of that scar were other smaller scars, dots that were evenly spaced on each side of the fading line.

Kitrina had seen similar scars on herself whenever she had to get pretty extensive stitching done. When she got stitching done it was normally to take care of a nasty cut, but judging by what she was seeing on Sam, it looked as if Sam had recently had a lot of work done. The type of work that a psychotic ex-surgeon who had changed his own face, would probably be more than happy to do for someone willing to pay the right price.

Kitrina slowly got up from her place at the table, doing her best not to make as little sound as possible as she did. On a nearby countertop, a mallet, designed to tenderize various meats, was laid out, waiting for the rotisseur to come in the next morning. Kitrina picked it up, as she slowly walked by. The weight of the jagged hammer was a little too much for her, as she felt her wounds protest in pain against her current movements, but instead she bit her lip and bared it.

She was standing close behind Sam when she finally stopped, and glared at the back of his head. Her hand tensed around the mallet’s handle.

“Why?” She asked.

“Hm?” Sam piqued up and looked over his shoulder only to find Kitrina glaring into his eyes with something deeper than hatred. “What do you mean, Lady Kitrina?”

“You know, my Uncle Mario used to call me doll. With Mario it was a habit, but there has been nothing else in this world, that I have hated more, than to hear myself being referred to as a doll.”

“I see.” Sam said looking confused and a bit insulted at Kitrina’s forwardness, “I’m sorry if I have offended you.”

“Did you kill her?”

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t play with me, Mario.” Kitrina glared into her Uncle’s eyes. It was a different face, but Kitrina knew for certain that she was talking to none other than, her dead Uncle. For a second, a silence passed between them, and finally Mario smiled.

“You know, I always said you were always too smart for your own good.” He spat. Kitrina roared as she pulled the meat tenderizer out from behind her back, and swung it in a wide arc toward Mario’s head. She didn't care that every bone in her body was screaming at her. Mario grabbed hold of her arm stopping the swing, but Kitrina mind was ablaze with a fury that she had never felt before. She kicked Mario in the groin with such force she felt him lift slightly off the ground. He lost his balance, and fell to his knees. In his pain he had loosen his grip on Kitrina’s arm. Kitrina swung the hammer down on Mario with as much force as she could muster.

The first thing that went was his jaw, then his collar bone, and finally Kitrina brought the hammer down on Mario’s hand crushing the bones connecting the fingers to the wrist. Mario lay at Kitrina’s feet withering in pain. Kitrina stood above him, eyes wide and breathing heavily. She was beginning to see black spots in her vision, as the pain from over-exerting herself was starting to take its toll.

“This is your last chance!” She screamed, “Did you kill, Ana?”

“Yes! I killed the little shit! Are you happy now?!” He roared. The truth shook Kitrina, she had not wanted to believe it. She had asked simply on a gut feeling. Part of her wished, Mario had denied it, but instead the truth was out now, and a fury like she had never felt before was coursing through her hotter than any fire of hell could hope to achieve.

“She was your daughter!”

“What do you want from me you little brat!? You wonderin’ how I could do such a thing! For your information, thanks to Pop getting two bullets through his skull, it was left to me to take care of this family. The Falcone name turned out to be a lost cause, and the only way to fix it, was to start over! Ana had to go!”

“She was twelve, she was my cousin, and you killed her!”

“You think I wanted to kill my little girl. I much rather it be me in that body bag, but I had to fix what Pop left behind. I couldn’t do that with Ana around. The Falcone name would still be out there ruining any future we had! I had to fix it! What can’t I get you to understand about that! I had to fix it! I have to fix it! I was fixing it, and then you had to come back! You know what you little shit, I wish Dent had put those two bullets in your skull instead of Pop’s!”

“Go to hell!” Kitrina roared as she raised the mallet above her head, and brought it crashing down onto Mario’s skull. She heard the sickening crunch as the blow shattered the skull, but even when Mario fell to the floor, Kitrina did not stop. She raised the mallet again and brought it crashing back down: again, again, and again.

By the time it was over, she couldn't feel her arm any more. The pain had become too much, now and her body was no longer cooperating. Kitrina felt lost. She could not make out the sound of the police sirens outside, nor the sound of the commissioner’s voice as it was amplified by the megaphone in his hand. She did not realize it when two men clad in black came crashing in through the back door. She just floated in a sea of nothing, and it wasn't until one of the black clad men, the one known as Nightwing, walked up, and took hold of her. The touch startled Kitrina, and she looked up into blue eyes that were all too familiar. She knew now where she had seen those eyes before. It had been eight years, but she knew.

Kitrina had done it. She had avenged her cousin’s death, she had killed her uncle, and she was still alive…still alive, A Falcone woman, and still alive. Grandfather would be proud.

“Kitrina,” Nightwing whispered to her as he eased the bloodied mallet from her grasp, “It’s going be alright now, okay.” Then for the first time in nearly eight years, Kitrina cried.

The End

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

Quick comment on this to see if it steadies out.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

Okay, so, well. I'm not sure I can even comment on a specific part of this, but it's your best work yet, I think. A few minor typos but not enough to matter, very engaging and interesting, a fantastic finale with a bleak, sudden twist. You did amazing work here, @Delphic:

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By rav4

Your work keeps improving, Mr. Delphic. Looking forward to what you bring in to the main Mayhem line. If it's anything like this, it should be fantastic.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By dngn4774

Amazing story Delphic! I loved the plot twist at the end and the fact that she was able to break the bat rule (seemed authentic considering the situation). The length of your chapter wasn't bad either, since it started with where it needed to started and ended where it needed to end. I personally would've gone with Catwoman at the end rather than Nightwing, but either way it was still an excellent read.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Delphic

@dngn4774: Thanks, and to be honest, I wasn't too happy about the way I handled Nightwing in the end, so I feel your pain. The relationship between the two characters is something I want to explore. I wanted to touch on that relationship somewhat, but I honestly don't like the way I handled it.

Thanks for commenting, and hopefully when Gotham City Sirens starts it will be enjoyable as well, and maybe in it, as I've said to Dngn, I may can explore the relationship between Nightwing and Kitrina a little more.

For the record, when I say relationship, I don't mean romantic. Yeah, it's pretty obvious Kitrina has a girl-hood crush going on, but I do not at all plan to ship the two characters. I want to focus more on character growth, and for a sixteen year old girl, crushing is one of those things that any normal sixteen year old girl might struggle with, so why wouldn't Kitrina?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#7  Edited By wildvine

Well done. Excellent plot twist at the end. To be honest, i was starting to think the villain was Murmur. But once i read Hush, i facepalmed myself. It was a tad long, but i get you wanted to move on. So not too long. -_o

Great read sir. Can't wait to see your future Mayhem stories. (Wink).

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wildvine

Oh, and i loved the record store reference.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Delphic

@wildvine: Yay for Gotham Hearts!!! To those who are wondering what I'm talking about: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/gotham-hearts/690926/

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By lykopis

Oh wow -- the ending completely shocked me. I did not see that coming but yet, it wasn't unbelievable which is perfect.

I love the dialogue - especially the interaction between Kitrina and Selina -- some fun moments sure but I really liked her advice in regards to revenge. Nice touch -- definitely.

Congratulations on a great story! I love forward to your next project.

:)

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wildvine

@lykopis said:

Congratulations on a great story! I love forward to your next project.

Me too Delphic.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Delphic

I know you guys have commented on my stuff before, so I know you don't want to miss this one. ;)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By batkevin74

@Delphic said:

I know you guys have commented on my stuff before, so I know you don't want to miss this one. ;)

Sure and under the quid pro quo/mutual reading policy: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/virtutem-dei/710871/ something for you to read and comment on also

And now onto your story:

No Caption Provided

@Delphic said:

the “Catwoman School of Burglary”

That alone is a story!

“Did you kill her?”

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t play with me, Mario.” Kitrina glared into her Uncle’s eyes. It was a different face, but Kitrina knew for certain that she was talking to none other than, her dead Uncle. For a second, a silence passed between them, and finally Mario smiled.

“You know, I always said you were always too smart for your own good.” He spat. Kitrina roared as she pulled the meat tenderizer out from behind her back, and swung it in a wide arc toward Mario’s head. She didn't care that every bone in her body was screaming at her. Mario grabbed hold of her arm stopping the swing, but Kitrina mind was ablaze with a fury that she had never felt before. She kicked Mario in the groin with such force she felt him lift slightly off the ground. He lost his balance, and fell to his knees. In his pain he had loosen his grip on Kitrina’s arm. Kitrina swung the hammer down on Mario with as much force as she could muster.

The first thing that went was his jaw, then his collar bone, and finally Kitrina brought the hammer down on Mario’s hand crushing the bones connecting the fingers to the wrist. Mario lay at Kitrina’s feet withering in pain. Kitrina stood above him, eyes wide and breathing heavily. She was beginning to see black spots in her vision, as the pain from over-exerting herself was starting to take its toll.

“This is your last chance!” She screamed, “Did you kill, Ana?”

“Yes! I killed the little shit! Are you happy now?!” He roared. The truth shook Kitrina, she had not wanted to believe it. She had asked simply on a gut feeling. Part of her wished, Mario had denied it, but instead the truth was out now, and a fury like she had never felt before was coursing through her hotter than any fire of hell could hope to achieve.

“She was your daughter!”

WOW! That's brutal and very good. Well done...no, exceptionally well done! That is some fine writing and something to be proud of

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Delphic

@batkevin74: LOL that's the first mindblown reaction I've ever received. :P

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Bump

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@delphic: Brilliant vengeful ending. :-)

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Thank you, I'm glad you got to read this, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is the fic that made me here on CV. Anyway, to answer one of you're earlier questions. Kitrina Falcone was a young member of the Falcone family that was used by Mario Falcone to obtain sensitive documents and information. She is a master escape artist. Mario turned on her when she was almost caught by Batman, but she escaped Mario and found Catwoman, where she teamed up with her as a sort of sidekick and started calling her self Catgirl (or Catguuuurrrrllll). She appeared not long before DC did their New 52, and around the time Bruce Wayne was time skipping. She way a very poorly written character that was created by Tony Daniel, and her costume was even worse. She literally had her costume bedazzled with pink rhinestones. For some reason I took a liking to the character, and I wanted to do her better justice as a character.

Unfortunately we will probably never see her again, because of the time in which she was created. It was DC's lame duck period as they were preparing to start their New 52. I'm willing to bet Kitrina will have been erased from existence. I think the only way she will ever appear again is if someone who cared about her as much as I did, or I get a job writing for DC.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@delphic: Cool thanks for the information.