The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Boy, it's good to be back to writing...

Disclaimer: Part of the DC Legacy Fan Fic series. Writer does not own characters appearing here

No Caption Provided

Rated: E for everyone

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continued fromDC Legacy: Batman’s Butler #4

Berettas and Lollipops- Part 5: Greetings to You…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time, across an ocean and a bit of land, a party was going on. This party was hosted by the illustrious Lillian Hellman. Miss Hellman had wild brown hair and a creative sparkle in her eye which suited her playwright occupation. This night, however, she was not spinning plays with her thorough mind, but rather relationships.

This night, Miss Hellman had decided to play matchmaker for a dear actress friend of hers. The actress’s name was Patricia Neal. Lillian studied the menagerie of dinner guests in her parlor, mentally going through the invite list for a suitable individual for her friend. She just decided to give up when suddenly, beside her, her friend spoke up.

“Who is that?” Patricia Neal whispered, pointing slightly to the other side of the room where a tall man was chatting with one of his fellow party guests.

Miss Hellman attempted to hide her smile by pretending to fix her makeup using a nearby mirror.

“Oh,” Miss Hellman said, hoping she didn’t sound in the least bit interested, “He is that writer fellow I was talking about. The one who’s been working with Walt Disney.”

“He was the one who was a fighter pilot who got shot down over Libya?” Patricia asked, without batting a single eye lash or revealing her true interest in the fellow in question.

Definitely an actress, her friend decided. No wonder they had given her a role in that charming science fiction film about the robot and the man from another planet, she thought lazily.

“Indeed,” Lillian nodded, watching the tall gentlemen work the room like a ringmaster.

“Charming,” Patricia said, and was then whisked away by another friend who had spotted the actress and wanted to congratulate her on the good job.

“Indeed,” the hostess repeated with a hint of a smile. As soon as her friend had left her side, Lillian turned on her heels and hurried to do some last minute alternations to the seating chart.

Later that evening when the guests filed into the Hellman dining room, Patricia Neal realized her seat was right across the table from the man she had been eyeing earlier in the evening. She sent a suspicious look in her friend’s direction, but Miss Hellman pretended not to notice.

Lillian enjoyed the party, but she kept an eye on the pair she had hoped to play matchmaker for that evening. The Royal Air Force pilot turned short story writer was the life of the party. He could talk to anyone about an infinite number of topics and he could spin a yarn like nobody Lillian had ever met. She suspected that, if he had told the party guests he had once had adventures with a giant centipede, they would have believed him, especially Patricia Neal, who laughed at every story.

Lillian was dismayed to note, however that ,even with her friend’s attention and her own strategic seat rearrangement, the former RAF pilot did not even look at the woman across from him, let alone talk to her. Lillian tried to not let this upset her evening, but when the writer had to pause a most unique story involving a man who stole umbrellas to answer the summons of a butler, she excused herself as well and followed him.

“Here you are, sir,” the Hellman’s butler said, giving the writer a phone receiver.

Lillian again pretended to fix her make up in the mirror while listening to the writer.

The writer hemmed and hawed until he finally replied the person on the other end, “Yes, of course. I understand. Not your best timing, but I’ll be there all the same.” He smiled and told the phone, “Indeed. Be seeing you.”

He returned the phone to the butler and then noticed Lillian. Without a question in his eye of why she was there, the writer went and embraced his acquaintance.

“Ah! Miss Hellman!” the big friendly giant grinned, a bitter-sweet smile on his face, “This was another wonderful party. I have been enjoying myself quite thoroughly, but some business just came up so I am afraid I must take my leave. Thank you very much for inviting me.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Dahl,” Lillian smiled.

The writer tipped his top hat, which had had retrieved from the butler along with his coat. He was almost to the door when he stopped.

“Oh, Miss Hellman?” He asked, turning around.

“Yes, Mr. Dahl?” Lillian paused in the doorway to the dining room.

“Would it be at all possible for you to send me the name and address of the woman sitting across from me?” the top hat wearing writer asked, a gleam in his eye.

“Of course.”

With that, the writer once again tipped his hat to his host and then left. Lillian laughed softly under breath as she returned to her seat. Roald Dahl was most definitely a peculiar funny man. Patricia Neal was certainly in for an adventure!

To be continued in DC Legacy: Batman’s Butler #6 (COMING SOON!)!

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By wildvine

Really good. the Roald Dahl in the story, Is he the one i'm thinking of?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@wildvine: If you are thinking of the writer of Willy Wonka (whose hat is cameoed), James and the Giant Peach (whose centipede is mentioned), the BFG (which is used as a nickname here for Dahl) and Fantastic Mr. Fox among others, then yes.

All of the events (this party, Patrica Neal, Lillian Hellman, Dahl ignoring her) are actully real. I took liberties with Lillian because Neal's biography left it unclear if the seating was done on purpose plus of course the phone call was fictional. He would later marry Patricia Neal and have a few kids (they divorced years later). The movie mentioned of course is the day the earth stood still which would be released a few months before this dinner.

Also, Dahl, like Ian Flemming, was a spy, so this story it self is cannon (even though he was not spying at the time this is set and he wasn't the kind of spy like James bond...).

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CapFanboy

@The Poet: SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD! ARGH! Brain exploding.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@CapFanboy said:

@The Poet: SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD! ARGH! Brain exploding.

Thank thank thank thank you! :)

Tunsieon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Tunsieon

Both the cover and the story are excellent, Poet. Can not wait to read more.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@Tunsieon said:

Both the cover and the story are excellent, Poet. Can not wait to read more.

thanks!

Number 6 will be released soon...(wow! I get to make spy references in the comment section as well! I'm insane...)

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Where the heck can this be going...?

that's for me to know and you to find out. Have to introduce the cast before we begin...

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@the_poet said:

@wildvine: If you are thinking of the writer of Willy Wonka (whose hat is cameoed), James and the Giant Peach (whose centipede is mentioned), the BFG (which is used as a nickname here for Dahl) and Fantastic Mr. Fox among others, then yes.

All of the events (this party, Patrica Neal, Lillian Hellman, Dahl ignoring her) are actully real. I took liberties with Lillian because Neal's biography left it unclear if the seating was done on purpose plus of course the phone call was fictional. He would later marry Patricia Neal and have a few kids (they divorced years later). The movie mentioned of course is the day the earth stood still which would be released a few months before this dinner.

Also, Dahl, like Ian Flemming, was a spy, so this story it self is cannon (even though he was not spying at the time this is set and he wasn't the kind of spy like James bond...).

Niiiice researching. Love that stuff. Making Dahl a more Bond-like spy just adds fun to it. Does part 6 exist yet?

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The Poet  Moderator

@cbishop: it sort of does partially exist in paper form. Admittedly, I let this story slide (as you can see from when I posted this. I'll have to find where I wrote it down...Need to work on this and the second chapter of the Invisible Man (I'm not as motivated to post stuff as I would like to be...).

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@the_poet: Completely understandable. Frankly, the only reason I got into the fan-fic section, and the CCC in particular, is that I hadn't written anything in a long, long, longtime, and wanted to get the rust off of the gears, y'know? I've been working on character notes all that time, but I hadn't actually written stories. Trying to get myself back into the flow.