Character Creation Contest #48 - Space Adventurer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
Flash Gordon- a favorite of my grandmother. <3
Flash Gordon- a favorite of my grandmother. <3

Welcome to CCC #48. This time around, we are going into space! Your job is to make an original character that is a space adventurer. I'm thinking of the space classics, like Flash Gordon (at right) or Buck Rogers, but you can give it any twist that you want to.

I was recently reminded that the CCC has turned into a pretty much OC-exclusive contest, meaning not only are we creating original characters (the point), but we've taken to mostly creating all-original universes around them (not necessarily the point). So I throw in this reminder: this series is the Character Creation Contest - Fan Fic Edition. So if you want to write your original space adventure character into an established universe (that is set in space), you can. With one exception for this particular contest:

No Star Wars. We've had three goes at Star Wars for the CCC. There's plenty of space out there- explore other areas.

No word limit.

Deadline is two weeks and a day from now: May 6th @11:59 PM New York time (aka EST/ Eastern Standard Time. Google "ny time" if you're not sure).

Really looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. :)

In other contest news:

Stumpy49er has posted a contest called Stories Based on Songs: Proto-Challenge. It looks pretty fun, and the deadline for that is May 4th. Two entries in the same time period? We can do it! Check it out, and write it up!

Also, Project_Worm (who started the CCC - FF Ed.) just started a new contest series called FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE #1 - A Character is Born! Create a character in 200 words or less. The deadline has passed, but as there was only one entry, maybe he'll extend the deadline? Either way, nothing says you can't be on the lookout for the next one.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop

Entrant tracker:

Who has entered?
  1. ImpurestCheese
  2. 4donkeyjohnson
  3. Renzoa
  4. batkevin74
  5. cbishop

This is just for my reference so I remember how many to look for when I do the voting thread. (It's an experiment)

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

Coolio!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6
deactivated-57b9eaaf41cf6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm Entering with......... SOMETHING.

*hides secret plans*

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcsshd: me...too. <also hides plans>

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like you two plan

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Win'em all, but contest 50 IS MINE!!!

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Nice. I really like this challenge!

Now I have to figure out if I want to create my own universe or use Flash Gordon.

Or maybe Cowboy Bebop! ;)

See you, Space Cowboy!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: Flash Gordon and Cowboy Bebop qualify. As do Buck Rogers, Firefly, Starblazers, Voltron, Battle of the Planets, Legion of Super-Heroes, Green Lantern (space adventures), Lobo, the Omega Men, and really just about any character that you could say got on a spaceship and wound up in the blackness of space. I'm hoping for some really cool, fun entries. :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Win'em all, but contest 50 IS MINE!!!

So you keep saying. I really hope that 50 is an interesting contest.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Note: This entry isn't meant to be going for a win, but instead is the final piece of a mini series I've been writing.

Prelude to the Amazons #7 (of 7)

The elegant Caucasian man dressed in a top of the line business suit looked out the view port of the ship he was standing on, the blue glow of Earth shining as the only living beacon in the dead waste of space. Turning his back on his former home, the man strode over to a massive tank covered with an electrical field to prevent its contents, a massive jellyfish with a hideous sphincter of blades and teeth under the main bell, from escaping.

“High Navigator Morra, or former High Navigator, how the mighty fall to the many hands of the meek.” The man sneered as he tapped on the tank, the vibrations causing the beat inside to shudder with pain. “Three years ago your invasion force was quelled by a hybrid drone and a rag-tag bunch of ex-soldiers and college dropouts. How ashamed you must feel.”

“The Ai recognise Earth as a free world, as per the designation of the Congress of Lugh. Your actions would start war between Earth and Velia, something the Confederation of the Ai condone.” Morra stated, the voice sounding telekinetically in the man’s head rather than as physical words travelling through the air. “The prize we offered you long ago is no longer ours to give, cease these actions and we will return you to your world Mr. Hotchkiss.”

“Why would you think I’d ever return? Earth is filthy, ruled by the cruel and panders to the indifferent. It’s a cesspit, one I plan to cleanse when I decide to return!” Hotchkiss snarled, as he walked over to one of the myriad of consoles arranged around the room. “I may have been your agent once, but now you, your crew of parasites and this very vessel serve me. Very soon my plan will come to fruition you fetid jellyfish, soon poison will rain down across the Earth sparing the innocent and killing the wicked.” He added, as he tapped a button on the console summoning a gleaming map of the galaxy, small clusters of light centred on certain solar systems representing defensive fleets and commerce traders waiting to enter the planetary ports orbiting certain suns. “There are steps to be taken of course, but being telepathic you know what these are.”

“I do, you will drag innocents from Earth and from the colonies into a war that will set the celestial ocean alight.” Morra hissed as a segment of the floor opened up and six humanoid figures emerged, all wearing ceramic armour save for the jellyfish like head ornaments over their faces, hands clenched on weapons. “I may not be in full control of my network I have enough synaptic contacts on board my ship to free a few drones to fight against you.” She added as the drones opened fire on Hotchkiss, the man dodging the sonic blasts fired at him as he ran along the computer panel, his hand running along the surface with each touch bringing a system online.

“Your brief mutiny is at an end Morra.” Hotchkiss stated as a sentry turret dropped out of the command deck’s ceiling, its barrels spinning up in less than a second before taking a series of quick shots, each one hitting a rebel drone, their bodies exploding into clouds of thick blue smoke. “You are lucky that I need you alive ‘High Navigator’ or you would be joining them. Still I should punish you for trying to kill me.” He added, an evil sneer appearing on his face as he tapped something into the nearest computer network. With a buzzing crackling hiss, the electrical field over the tank descended into the water before discharging, lighting running across Morra’s body, a high pitched scream of pain racing around the ship and through the minds of every living thing on board

While the drone security force scattered across the ship bent over holding their heads in pain, the voice of their former master ripping through their craniums Hotchkiss simply laughed, his cackle bouncing round the control room until the electrical field was raised. Her body still convulsing Morra watched as Hotchkiss slumped down in the communication officer’s chair, his fingers flying across the keyboard as he contacted his associate on the planet below. As he did a holographic projection spread across the bridge, as location data from the first place Hotchkiss had met Morra’s former superior, the original High Navigator of the ship Ai Apaec, replaced the tank and computer banks of the recon ship.

“If I had known what kind of monster you would become I would have begged my father and master never to have brought you here.” Morra hissed, her words covering a second more secretive message, one that she hoped would reach her former enemies on the planet below. Hotchkiss had simply ignored the covering statement and even though she was still a prisoner she knew that the human race now had an inkling of the danger hovering above their world.

“Boccanegra, have you acquired the chemical compounds I demanded.” Hotchkiss stated as a hologram of a woman, her face covered in a black hooded cloak appeared before him. “Also what news do you have on the assassination of Professor Elise?”

“Mr Hotchkiss, as per your request we have secured a sample of the chemical from the mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo. My men in Port-au-Prince are already on site to take delivery of it tomorrow morning.” Boccanegra stated. “I’m afraid our other ventures haven’t been as fruitful.”

“Oh, and who do you blame for that?” Hotchkiss purred in a menacing tone. “I expected a ruthless cartel boss to be able to procure such things as simple diesel with ease. And you have men who boast about how many people they have killed, surely they can be counted on to kill an old man?”

“It’s a little more complicated than…” Boccanegra began to say, only for Hotchkiss to get to his feet, pure rage showing on his face.

“NO IT’S NOT. YOU WILL DO AS I COMMAND!!” He roared, his change in tone causing both Morra and Boccanegra to shudder slightly. “Kill the old man, get me the Blue Diesel and then when you have done both, well I’ll see what kind of mood I’m in. Pray I’m in a good one.” He warned as he turned off the communications device. “She failed, you know what that means.” He asked Morra, as he tapped the keyboard, the electrical field descending towards his captive, her screams beginning again in unrest.

Walking over to the back of the room, Hotchkiss clicked his fingers, the sound summoning a pair of drones, each with one hand over their head as they dragged in a crate each. “Careful you mindless idiots!” Hotchkiss snarled, as he swung at one of the drones as it put its case down a little too roughly, his fist breaking the alien slave’s head open, thick blue venom running down his arm, the noxious chemical running down grooves on his body to form a series of glowing tattoos shaped like tentacles leading to a round maw of teeth on his back, the eerie light glowing through his suit.

“My apologies my unnatural king.” The remaining drone whispered as he opened the case to reveal finned armour, a fanged helm complete with a visor between the jaws and a long black bladed knife. Taking the armour Hotchkiss placed the helmet over his head before equipping the rest of the suit and taking the knife from the drone.

“How many times have I told you not to call me that?” Hotchkiss asked, as he stalked to the computer console and raised the electrical field from the tank, before turning to see the drone staring up at the smoking body of Morra, her body thrashing from the discharge running through her gelatinous form. “ANSWER ME!”

“It is eight times I believe.” The Drone stated, as Hotchkiss glared at him, his eyes glowing blue from behind the visor, the same glow forming in the bell across his servant’s head. “It’s just the most beautiful majesty’s scream was hurting us. We couldn’t…” He stopped as his organs exploded within his body, thick blue fluid forming in his body, before flooding the parasitic bell, the gelatinous structure popping with an explosion.

“It’s the Decapitator to you and everyone else in the dark wasteland.” Hotchkiss sneered as the computer chimed a warning. “Hmm looks like the first of my fleet has arrived.” He murmured as a section of space was ripped open and a large bulbous, almost tick like ship arrived next to it. “There’s just one problem, it’s infested with people I need to kill!”

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: As the end of your mini-series, I like it, and I'm surprised at the turn it has taken. As an entry, I'm curious to see how it does. It was pretty cool to see you tie some of your older ideas together with this piece. :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Yep the Ai were intended to be part of the Patronverse after I wrote them, and were the ones who blew up the ship carrying the Star Queen in the first issue of Five Star. Of course nothing came of it, or their collaborator on Earth, one Gavin Hotchkiss. Fortunately I decided to rescue elements of the unpublished work and here they are...ready for the Amazons (apparently)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Yep, next week swamp turtles and Penance, the week after sailors and Amazons

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By TommytheHitman

Oh goddamn it Bish!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh goddamn it Bish!

What? o.O

Jon Trunick would fit nicely with this contest. :)

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve Cometcrasher was a space ranger of Star Command.

He wasn't as well knownwn as Buzz Lightyear or Commander Nebula but he was on his way up.

Steve once held off a raenok invasion of the planet L-B-1 in the Tangera sector until back up arrived.

unfortunately for him he was mortally wounded and died, but by his heroisn the planet was saved.

Steve was buried with full military onors by Star Command.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for zacisyourmaster
zacisyourmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I join?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4donkeyjohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@zacisyourmaster: All contests are open to all users. Just keep your entry within the site and contest specific rules.

Avatar image for zacisyourmaster
zacisyourmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks

Renzoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Renzoa

Note: this story was made for contest #47 I just kept the name and story its set in space. didn't have access to a computer at the time so could not post it in time. if you want to change the name I will

The year is 230X. Where our entire solar system is colonized. Including Pluto. The plants in our solar system have different types of factions.

Uranus sector 234 mars secret space station; in a monitoring room

“Mannn why looking through these files are so boring” says Gearless. “Really this is boring to you man”. Gear says. “yeah look at these guys”. Showing Gear the files on screen. “Can they really do this mission?” Gear looks at the srceen “Are you really looking though these names?” trying to see what gear was talking about ,Let me see what you are talking about”, he takes a second look the screen . this is still boring gearless says. You really don’t know. Look! Bringing up the screen. This guy looks promising his name is goddar he is a super cyborg, also has military back round. What? Says gearless a super cyborg and military back round you made it cool but it’s very boring. Okay then lets try her. Her name is Granide and has the ability of water and has combat experience ., and she came a runner up in the Galixar. You mean to tell me that she was second play in that gladiator like tournament. It’s Galixar not gladiator. It’s the same thing people are put into giant arena and fight until the other one cant fights no more. Whatever man. Lets look at this guy his name is Renzoa . He has…..what is this everything is blanked out. What how did I miss this, never mind that why did or how did we… a guy walk in . Sir what are you doing here. I’m here to delete that file I should have not put here. You mean the Renzoa file. I see you read it. No we did not read it, how could we. Good he walked over to the screen and deleted it and took the file why did you do that? With a clueless look on Gear’s face . “That man should not be called or be talked about” say captain Hammer. just choose some on else to do the mission. Ok I fine with it less work for me says gearless . No I wont I’m curious now can you please tell us captain with Grear damming answers .the captain looks over to him and smirks saying ok. But before I tell you the thing you need to know is that this going to sound unbelievable and why we cant you him. Remember the rumor when the counsel second was had an accident. Renzoa he was the one who it.

Two months ago in Sector 125 above the Jupiter stratosphere Renzoa ship

Your mission is simple kill the second council of mars. Here is your Intel he is on the ground on the planet sounded by army tanks with radar, missiles that can detect any human within 8000 Milles. And a anti field that cancels and bullet or any energy based weapons. Renzoa are you listening to me .yes I am listing,mmmm. This mission shouldn’t be to hard.really just I said….. ok ok I get it with renzoa this mission well be tricky but i know i can do it. Renzo get off his set and walked over to his weapons picked one. This will do he says.nonthing will beat my hand dandy starto-GH(it’s a powerful gun). Renzoa walked over to his hanger and opened it. Alright let me get the target with Renzoa . Looking though the scope he seen his target and he shot the shell . The shell traveled to his ship to space breaking though the amoushare. Then the anlelled the shield and ripped thought the building. The target could only hear the tarring until he seen nothing.Renzoa put away his weapon and got on his seat and went away

Back to the current time

Hahahaha,yeah right there is no weapon that can shoot from space to the planet, there no way boss says gear. You can laugh all you want but this story was very true that weapons he uses a very dangerous an we can use him and he might turn on us. He known for doing that. So there boss walked away. Man that Renzoa story was crazy yeah man.then the door open s why are you guys still slacking off hurry and choose for the mission. What are you talking about boss you was just here saying it very confusingly. Why to you speak crazy this is my first time here. No you came here earlier the other guy says I can show proof. The guy pulls up the video huh? There’s nothing. I see with disappointed look on his face, you guys shown me proof your laziness, get back to work. And he slams the door. mannn that was weird yeah it was the other guy replies. Then the door opens ok guys you may use Renzoa he might be useful when the boss the two guy got there weapons dawn whi are. What the hell are you talkin…shut no more lies form you the two men open fire on the boss. The boss went down then the two men walked up, what the hell a android. Then the two men went out the and dash toward the captain room. They see the boss tied up and gaged and mumbling something. The y removed the gag, before the boss says some thing one of the guys shot the boss in the are. What the hell that was for. That was to make shore you are you. You no there is somthe called a Dna scanner. Oh for got about that. Then a srceen pops up. They looked at the screen boss? No I m no to boss but I guess you no who I am. Renzoa the guy replied. I was having too much fun telling that story messing with guys. That story was bull. Not all of it I really do have a sniper that shoots forms space to the planet. What are you going to do with us now? Nothing then the screen turned off.damn it you two are worthless I’m firing you both.

On Renzoa’s ship the X-Velocity

Here is you files you want form that spy ship. Thank you Renzoa for your help, behalf of Uranus we thank you

Yeah yeah Renzoa turns off hs screen. So what mission to do

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ISS Trebuchet (CCN-1071) Mainframe…access granted Captain Jerome Bixby...

Captain’s log: Space…These are the voyages of the ISS Trebuchet and it’s seven-year tour of duty. To conquer new worlds and civilisations, to boldly go where others have dared not, and to maintain the Terran Empire.

Captain’s log, star date 3541.9. As per ISS protocols I have used Agonisers upon the crew to quell a possible mutiny. A member of engineering, Napoleon Kurse, has moved up the ranks in a bold move which was not too everyone’s liking, especially mine. I would personally like to have him dumped in the Agony Booth but as yet he’s done nothing but upgrade his rank.

Captain’s log additional note: Kurse is of mongrel birth, half human half Bajoran.

Captain’s log 3566.4: The Trebuchet is in need of dilithium crystals, a fault I can only attribute to Kurse seeing as he is in charge of engineering, was…I do respect the half-breed but he has moved up rank again this time to Sick Bay leaving me without an engineer or a competent medical officer. I have used the Agoniser on him as his actions have put me out. ISS will be sending new crew once we again make Terran space.

Captain’s log 3598.1: I have request Kurse be transferred but my request has been denied. Again the mongrel has upgraded his rank and is now my first officer! Whilst doing a supply run to the penal colony on Tantalus V, Kurse, though I did not see this first hand, somehow got First Officer Daniels set upon by the savage inmates. We beamed aboard to safety but Marc was dead by the time he was transferred to sick bay…a move I believe orchestrated by Kurse.

Captain’s log personal: Napoleon Kurse will be the death of me I feel. His cold green half-bastard eyes boring into me as he hovers around the captain’s chair. In mere months he’s gone from intern in the engine room to plotting courses on star charts on the bridge. How this space monkey ever got let into the ISS academy is beyond me!

Distress signal from ISS Trebuchet.....signal aborted

Captain’s log 3644.6: I feel mutiny is afoot! After disciplining Kurse in the Agony Booth I seem to have the entire crew offside. It feels like when I took command of the Trebuchet years ago, overthrowing that fat incompetent Tribble lover Zimmerman! Combined with the news from ISS that Spock, the goatee’d alien bastard, has taken control of the Enterprise and is persuading the Empire in a more logical campaign.

Captain’s log personal: I feel all aliens and their dirty half spawn should be loaded into containers and pushed into a black hole. The Terran Empire will fall due to these unclean aliens polluting…

CRACK!

“I think I’ve read just about enough of your xenophobic journal,” Napoleon Kurse stated as he slammed the console shut, turning to the bound and beaten man inside the Agony Booth. “How does it feel to be bested by a, what did you call me…yes, half spawn?”

“Arrest that thing!”

“Now, now Jerome…”

“CAPTAIN BIXBY TO Y…”

Napoleon shot forward grabbing the throat as he lifted Jerome up. “FORMER! Former Captain. As per ISS protocols I have done everything by the book to achieve my new station as captain. And you…” He looked him up and down before dropping him to the floor. “You are dismissed. Ensign Steiner!”

A man in red saluted “Yes Captain!”

Kurse couldn’t help but smile at the sound. “How many times have you been Agonised by Jerome?”

“More than I can remember sir.”

“See Jerome, ISS protocols and standard procedures sometimes work on paper but in practicality you need an old Bajoran phrase which translates to spare the rod spoil the child.” Kurse slammed a fist into Jerome’s nose, breaking it across his face. “But today we shall follow ISS to the letter and then some. Ensign Steiner, attach every Agoniser we have to Jerome Bixby.”

“Sir, yes sir” The young man clipped the small metal devices to the former captain who crouched in a ball. Soon the gold shirt was covered in two dozen devices.

“Shut the door to the Agony Booth.” Kurse ordered.

Steiner sealed Jerome Bixby into the tube.

“For insubordination, behaviour unbecoming a captain, cowardice and failure to stop a mutiny, I, Captain Napoleon Kurse, sentence you, Jerome Bixby, to death by torture.”

“Please…don’t…”

“Mercy is for the weak,” Kurse hissed pressing his face up against the plexiglass. “ISS handbook chapter one verse one. COMMENCE SENTENCE!”

Steiner pressed the button activating all the Agoniser devices as Kurse turned on the Agony Booth. The former Captain shrieked as he writhed like an epileptic sack of eels before finally exploding in a puff of red; tear like droplets running down the glass. Kurse smiled and headed to the bridge.

“Captain on deck!” bellowed communications officer Perrin. Kurse liked how that sounded as he nestled into the large chair in the centre of the room. He knew he was a marked man, and didn’t care. This was the way of the ISS and the Terran Empire. It was how it would always be.

“Bring up the communique issued by Spock after his encounter with the Halkans,” Kurse ordered.

“Very good sir,” complimented First Officer Vahl as she took her place by his side and handed him a data pad.

“Plot a course for…well, there.” Kurse pointed into space.

“Gamma Tauri IV?” Asked the helmsman tentatively.

“Yes Mr Chan! That second star on the right.”

“Very good sir.”

Kurse folded his arms as the starlines blurred and the Trebuchet shot off across the galaxy.

__

(This is set in the Mirror Mirror Universe of Star Trek where Spock had a goatee and everything was “evil”. Star Trek visited this universe a few times over the course of the many shows, even a fan movie. Most of the characters names are taken from the crew of the original Mirror Mirror episode whilst Napoleon Kurse is, well someone you know was never going to be a florist.)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I had a feeling someone would do Star Trek. The Mirror Universe is always fun. ;)

@renzoa:Looks like a decent story, but it needs some major edits. You need quotation marks at the beginning and end of spoken sentences, and a new paragraph each time a different person speaks. The way it is now, it makes it confusing to read. Make your story shine! :)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ringo Saturn and The Vault of the Heavens

Io Jupiter is the galactic equivalent of a grave robber. The only catch is that she has no problem creating the graves herself if it gets her what she wants. Me? I guess you could say that I'm a grave robber too- I prefer treasure hunter- but I like to go about it naturally rather than lethally.

My name is Ringo Saturn, and right now, Io and I are on the trail of the same treasure: The Vault of the Heavens. In all of the galaxy, there's nothing like it. The legends about it are many, but there's one saying about it that persists from solar system to solar system; planet to planet:

• It holds doom for he who tries to take it for himself.
  • It holds wealth beyond measure for he who would allow himself to be last.
  • It holds hope for all that live, for generation upon generation.

I haven't really worked out the meaning yet, but whenever something like that survives time, it bears paying attention to.

At the moment, I don't really have time to dwell on it. Io sent her mercenaries after me, and they came in with blasters blazing. I've been stuck on this dustbowl of a moon for a day-and-a-half now, holed up in a derelict asteroid miner's cabin while the mercs make Swiss cheese out of the entire structure. Fortunately for me, whatever prospector built this place decided to tunnel his mine from his kitchen floor. So when I jumped under the table for cover, I fell into a deep, dark hole, clear of the blaster fire, but still in reach of the coffee, thanks to my ring.

Oh yeah, the ring! It belonged to a former Radio Cowboy. Maybe the first- I haven't made time to figure it out yet. It works in conjunction with a badge and gun, all of which the cowboy was buried with. It's been one of the best finds I've ever made- saved my hide a few times already. It has a pretty decent AI incorporated into it, but it's mostly informational. Meaning it's not exactly like having a friend on a road trip, but it will tell me all sorts of things if I ask.

The badge is shaped like a five pointed star- some connection to ancient law enforcement on a planet in another solar system that we supposedly all came from. I don't know if I believe in that or not. I haven't found any evidence to refute it, but I haven't found any to support it either. Either way, the ring generates an energy field that absorbs solar radiation to stay powered. The badge draws a charge from the ring, and generates a force field around the wearer, even keeping in an atmosphere in space. I made it into my belt buckle. I haven't wanted to test the limits of that so I use a spaceship whenever possible- The Starbolt, aka The Saturn Starbolt.

The gun is just a gun, except that the ring can be focused through it when necessary. Among other things, the ring can generate energy blasts, but it takes concentration that someone in a firefight can't always generate. So at those times, I can use the gun. It draws a charge from the ring too, but if I hold the gun in my ring hand so that the ring is on the grip, it's basically unlimited ammo. At that point, it's just point and shoot. Kind of scary to say about a gun, but good to have when you need it. It's designed to work with the ring so that if the Radio Cowboy is ever disarmed, the gun won't work for anyone else for very long. With the right command to the ring's AI, it can be shut down altogether.

As I said though, it's powered by solar radiation. Right now, I'm on the dark side of the moon, I've been firing back from the mineshaft all night, and the charge is getting low. It's when a merc's blast shatters the coffemaker that I get an idea. "Ring! Your charge is sustained with solar energy, correct?"

"Affirmative," the ring answers.

"Is it strictly solar energy, or can you charge on other fuels?"

"The ring was designed for solar absorption based on that being the most likely source of energy in space. However, any energy source can be converted to power the ring."

"Yes!" I cheer. "Ring, form a field around the mining cabin!"

"This will strain the ring reserves to dangerous levels. Badge field may be compromised."

"Form the field around the cabin!" I shout back. "Absorb the blaster fire!"

"Complying." An energy beam lances out of the mineshaft, and envelopes the cabin. The blaster fire intensifies, and after a few minutes, the ring simply says, "Fully charged."

I kiss the ring, and say, "Get us to The Starbolt!"

"Complying." Suddenly I'm flying out of the shaft, the energy field knocking the table aside, and then punching a hole in the roof. I fire at the mercs as the ring flies me back to the ship, and their blasters continue to charge the ring. We're soon out of their range.

"Wahhhhoo!" I shout. "I could get used to this!" We fly straight into the boarding bay of The Starbolt, the hatch closes behind us, and I am soon in the cockpit and firing it up. We're in orbit in no time.

"Okay ring, time to find Io Jupiter," I mutter.

"Location of Io Jupiter unknown."

"We've really got to work on your language interpretation. You are way too literal."

"Interpretation function fully operational."

"Case in point," I mutter again.

Io Jupiter, here I come.

BumpInTheNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Oops, two posts in a row. Anyway, that's time. -cbishop

cbishop

Forum Posts