Azrael, Ch 2: A Knight Errant

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JamieWolfe7

@cbishop@waezi2@impurestcheese@batkevin74@AssertingValor@heroup2112@dngn4774@comicstooge

Michael sat in the small dining area of the Brownstone. The manor was his, but it was a lonely prize with all the staff gone. They had left when the money stopped coming, which happened with the severance of the Order of Purity. He needed to do something about this, or else be a bum. That wasn't going to happen. Pride is counted both as a sin and as a virtue, right now he didn't care about such matters though.

He was eating on a chef salad as he thought to himself. It occured to him that Wayne had once offered him a spot in his Batman Incorporated. A self serving name, but things being what they are it couldn't hurt to talk.

Rising from his table, he carried his bowl to the library. His library was well stocked, as comprehensive a catalogue of theological and metaphysical literature as can be found in any lay household. From John Dee to Israel Regardie, the Rosicrucians to the Carolingians he had an expansive collection. A few tomes he had multiple copies and editions of, but he had learned that details didn't always survive the editors so this wasn't necesarily a bad thing.

Aside from money, what weighed heavily on his mind were the lies he had learned. All of his life he had been a devoted Catholic. As a young man, he had been torn between military service and seminary school when his temper cost him his scholarship. Learning that there were even now Cardinals in the Vatican who doubted the divinity of Christ on the Cross, who gave credence to the myth of the Merovingian blood line had been a slap to his faith. This was a thing he needed to explore for himself. A mere piece of cloth meant nothing. He needed documents, to explore how far this heresy extended within Rome for himself.

He had of course heard stories about hidden records, illuminated documents kept from the public. He had even read a few for himself, namely the Dead Sea Scrolls which were available in any respectable library as were one or two translations of the Books of Enoch. He was also aware of historical heresies like those of Eliphas Levi, the pseudonym of a Cardinal who was fascinated with the Kabbala and supposedly had a hand in conceptualizing Baphomet. He himself had a fascination with Jewish mysticism, in particular the numbers system Gematriah and the Sepher Yetzirah.

That the Vatican harbored heretics was nothing new to him, what bothered him was the existence of orders within the time honored priesthoods that propogated their blasphemies. This was compounded by the sting of having been taken in by one such order, which made it personal.

First thing was first, he took up his journal after finishig his salad and made a note to contact Bruce Wayne and schedule an appointment with him first thing on the morrow. Then, he located the text he was searching for. The best place to begin his investigations was the beginning, he reckoned. He picked out a book on Druidism and the Knights Templar and set to reading to finish out his evening.

Michael Lane's mornings start out with a rigid excercise regimen before breakfast. He was a veteran of the Green Beret, and while he'd slowed down after going into the GCPD it hadn't been by much. Since taking up the mantle of Azrael he had picked back up his old habits, no business until the standard for physical excellence was met.

This standard was exacting. He spent thirty minutes in warm up stretches, then one hundred pushups and fifty crunches. After this, he spent fifteen minutes in gymnastics, rounded it out with dragon flags and leg lifts before hitting the punching bag for fifteen minutes. His workout concluded with a two mile jog to wind down.

As a special forces trained veteran, his level of martial excellency was respectable. He was trained in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and Tae Kwon Do. As part of Doctor Hurt's criminal program, he added Ninjutsu to his retinue. Since becoming Azrael, he's become accomplished in a number of European martial arts in keeping with his theatrical theme such as various styles of fencing, savate, and parkour. When he isn't studying Christian mysticism and theology, he's studying ancient western methods of assassination such as what little is known about the ancient arabic hashasheen and the Thugee. In short, he's made of himself a formidable stand alone combatant.

After his excercise regimen is concluded, he makes his phonecall to Wayne's secretary. A young lady, likely said secretary, answers the phone. A quick conversation ensues and Michael is slotted for a one o'clock appointment. Michael's content with this, it allows him time to take another jog to a local cafe for breakfast.

Wayne Tower, 12:50

Michael believes in punctuality. If he isn't fifteen minutes early he feels like he's pushing it. If he's on time, he's late and this is another byproduct of an upbringing steeped in duty. He's sitting outside of Wayne's board room with his book on Druidism and the Knights Templar awaiting his meeting with the man known to him as Batman but the rest of the world as the billionaire orphan Bruce Wayne.

The door opens like a floodgate for expensive suits filled with flesh dedicated to Mammon and Gaap. Once the tide has passed, Wayne is left standing at the door with Lucius Fox and he is waved in.

"You must be my one o'clock," greets the amiable Mr. Wayne.

"Indeed," replies the curt Mr. Lane.

With that, Michael rises to his feet into the conference room with the other two men. Bruce smiles like a snake oil salesman as he gestures between he and Lucius and introduces,"Mr. Lane, this is my associate Lucius. He is my Chief Executive Officer and head of my Research and Development and my closest confidante here at Wayne Enterprises. Lucius, this is Michael Lane, the man I spoke of. I was hoping to interest you in a very special project."

Michael knits his brows a little bit, not sure what to make of this as he accepts the hand of Lucius in friendly greeting. Clearing his throat, he dives into the conversation,"And what project is this, if I might ask?"

Lucius picks up at this as Bruce gestures to him meaningfully before taking an abruptly casual seat on top of the large boardroom table,"Mr. Wayne is taking an initiative in expanding educational and research opportunities at Gotham City University. This is a byproduct of our unexpected surplus this quarter, and with all the negative publicity towards corporate America we are looking to blunt criticisms. This is the short version."

Michael is immediately confused, not being a man of letters. He folds his arms and silently awaits the long version, which Lucius promptly provides,"Mr. Wayne informed me that you are private expert in a number of unique areas. Stop me if I am incorrect, but these would be security, personal defense, and more intriguingly theology and history. He informs me that you are a native speaker of German and Russian and have proficiency in Hebrew and Ecclesiastical Latin as well as traditional, or scientific, and can read but not speak Greek."

Michael nods affirmingly, elaborating somewhat,"I can speak some Greek, but regretfully little. My Latin comes from a Catholic upbringing, the German and Russian from the special forces where I also learned a bit of Arabic as an operator in Iraq. Russian is very common there and is less suspicious from an obvious westerner. Greek is my latest linguistic foray."

Lucius quirks his brow at this,"And the Hebrew?"

Michael replies curtly,"Personal Bible study, and an interest in the Jewish apocriphals."

Lucius nods solemnly as he ventures,"Mr. Wayne was correct, you really are a rare find. A self motivated scholar, exactly the sort of person we'd like to have on our team."

Michael points out at this,"You never told me what this job opportunity is."

Lucius smiles magnanimously,"We are looking to fund an expedition of sorts. Mr Wayne was telling me that this just the sort of thing you would be interested in, all expenses paid. The location is a virgin ruin in Ireland, the Taara Mound in southern Ireland. Aside from being relatively undisturbed, you may be interested to know that it is a candidate for the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenant. Recent archaeological evidence strongly suggests that there was some sort of exchange of goods between Ireland and Egypt going back longer than was previously believed possible. This expedition may help prove that, based on new understanding gleened from the Book of Kells."

Michael glances down to the book in his hand and can only think 'providence'. Bruce looks down at it as does the shrewd Lucius and they all just grin. Michael looks between the two and then exhales as he pinches the brow of his nose while asking,"There is more to this, isn't there?"

Lucius and Bruce exchange looks, with the former venturing first,"Well, I was led to believe that you're historical expertise was medieval and ancient European. Aside from that, you're primary role would be chief of security given your law enforcement and military service background."

Michael nods at this, looking to Bruce,"It does sound agreeable..."

Bruce cuts him off with that,"Lucius, would you mind letting me a have a minute alone with him? There was that scheduling issue that we also needed to iron out with our secretary."

Lucius nods to him agreeably, a knowing smile on his face as he steps out. As soon as the door closes, Bruce begins,"Look, this smoke I'm blowing up your ass is a cover for your paycheck from Batman Incorporated. I know you're unemployed and your separation from the Gotham Police and whatever you get from the service isn't going to pick up the tab for Brownstone and whatever else you have going on. I know after..." Bruce gestures broadly in a meaningful manner at this before continuing,"You know, you had to have been cut off from a lot. Everyone noticed when your place suddenly lost a lot of hands and you were on your own."

Michael nods affirmingly at that last point. It came as no surprise that tabs were kept on his place of residence. He doesn't care to elaborate though, so he just asks the next obvious point,"I remember once telling you that I fight sin, not crime. What has changed?"

Bruce exhales, then dives in,"It seems to me that most of the, um, sin that you fight is associated with crime. Cults that kidnap people, religious nutjobs that kill people, the Religion of Crime, that sort. We see eye to eye on this. You would be our expert on this sort of crime."

Michael rubs his chin as he considers this, finding his logic sound. He asks the next question,"And demons, sorcerers, what of them? How can they be criminals if they are not bound by the rules of human society?"

Bruce waves a dismissive hand,"What of them? They disrupt human society, if their actions bring trouble, I shouldn't have to elaborate. The Justice League labels the troubles of alien incursions as crime or terrorism. So should the troubles of spiritual planes."

Bruce wasn't totally sold on the notions of spiritual planes, being a true agnostic. He thought to himself as he watched Michael. The religious man was a cagey sort, he either wore his emotions on his sleeves or he gave nothing at all. He was getting his balance back quick.

Michael replies thoughtfully,"So...crimes rooted in religion or violence in the name of such. Spiritually motivated criminality. Sins that lead to crime, or crime rooted in deliberate sin."

Bruce nods affirmingly to his conclusions about his meaning. After a beat, he continues,"Precisely. You would hve a transponder so we could reach you, or vice versa if we need to. You would gain access to our supplies, Batman Incorporated would give you respectable assets in addition to whatever it is that you have. There is only one catch that I cannot emphasize enough."

Michael already knows what this catch is,"No killing."

Bruce nods once again,"Exactly. That is our only rule. So, do I have your agreement? Will you take the job and join the team, or do you have other plans?"

Michael exhales,"Very well. When does this start?"

Bruce replies,"Whenever you are ready. Forward me a bank statement or an itemized budget so we can negotiate a contract that'll keep you afloat, in the mean time I'll have Lucius provide you with a line of credit. I think you'll appreciate the arrangements that are about to be extended your way. It'll be good to have you around."

Michael is stoic as ever, his response formally delivered,"I'll endeavor to meet with your standards, your courtesies will be appreciated. To borrow your phrasing however, I cannot emphasize enough that I will not accept payment without rendering service. I am not a borrower, nor will I be a lender."

The Wayne patriarch's response is equally clear,"Nor will I expect you to be. I am in the business of protecting people, saving lives and preventing senseless tragedy. Your unique perspective will be a tremendous asset in this, and if I or Richard or any of the others can help with your tasks so much the better. This will bring us closer to being on a similar page, it's an infrastructure."

The spiritual crusader closes his eyes to meditate on that last part, the thought of it being an infrastructure. He could see the merit in that, even if he wasn't so sure that their roles were as closely aligned as he believed. He had early on did his best to keep from killing, it wasn't until the telekinetic enforcer the Crusader became involved that the body count started mounting. That was when Ra's al Ghul also started forcing things. "I accept your proposal, and will forward my budget this evening. I have a few personal concerns, less pressing."

Wayne raised his brows,"Oh?"

Lane felt a little childish bringing this up,"You observed that the Brownstone staff quit my service. It would be a comfort if I could restore a certain amount of normalcy."

Wayne chuckled a little as he replied,"I understand completely, the line of credit that will be extended to start you off should be adequate to handle some of that. It may not be as much as you are used to, but it should get things rolling. You'll have a month to get things in order, the Ireland job won't be as leisurely as you think. Lady Elaine Marsh-Morton has something going on there, and what little information I have suggests she has a benefactor and isn't working alone. The University gig is your cover for this."

Michael is actually comforted by this, a knowing brow raised at the mention of Lady Vic by her real name. The knowledge that he isn't being completely extorted into a vacation is a considerable reassurance. He replies in a less formal tone to Wayne's suppressed delight,"Good, and I have one month to set things to order. It won't take me that long, I should be able to procure a groundskeeper and maid within a fortnight."

Bruce raises a hand as he replies,"Take your time. That's about how long it'll likely take to get all the paperwork in order. Corporate offices move faster than government, but not always by much."

With that, the actual negotiations were concluded. Lucius came back in and the show was resumed, Michael figured out pretty quick that Lucius was a lot more than the figurehead he portrayed. He got the distinct impression that the boardroom he was standing in wasn't a boardroom, but a stage upon which Bruce orchestrated a grand facade. He couldn't decide if he admired and respected him at that moment, or if he was disturbed and revolted by the level of deception he maintained every waking hour.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Will read this and part 1 shortly

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamiewolfe7: Hmm a few spelling mistakes, most obviously the incorrect use of knew in regards to the Vatican and heratics. Still a good piece of writing though

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers