k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

My fellow ELEKTRA fans, the finale is here. We don't want it to be the finale and we know this series deserves more time, but we must accept this sad, sad truth. Thankfully, the title leaves us the same way it began: with a ton of spectacular-looking action and an excellent insight into Elektra's mind. You didn't really expect anything less though, did you? Of course not!

Some comics thrive because they're character-driven. Others because of the spectacle they offer. And some impress because of the elaborate and interesting worldbuilding. The point is, it's not every day a series brings multiple strengths to the table and they often shine for one or two reasons. However, W. Haden Blackman made sure ELEKTRA offers all three on a consistent basis. While I do have some criticisms about the way things play out (it's surprisingly formulaic -- sorry, that word comes off as snobby but it really is fitting here -- compared to the previous chapters), it's still an amazing comic which justifies the $3.99 cover price and then some. Considering how action-heavy it is, it does feel like a pretty quick read, but the combination of the brutal yet astonishing action and a proper look at Elektra's thoughts makes it such a gripping journey. There's even an amusing nod to one of the biggest moments from DAREDEVIL #181 -- you know, the moment before the really big one.

This series has one of those "oh man, I really wish this wasn't over" kind of endings. It's basically the beginning of an exciting new story, so it's a shame we more than likely won't have the opportunity to see it all unfold. I recently heard scientists are going to attempt to contact a parallel universe. If so, I hope they ask them whether ELEKTRA went beyond issue #11.

Artist Michael Del Mundo and colorist Marco D'Alfonso are brilliant storytellers -- no amount of praise will really be enough. Every single panel has my complete and undivided attention. Sometimes, a comic's visuals aren't striking and you find yourself skimming through the artwork and focusing on the writing. Here, every panel has me totally absorbed and they make this story come to life in such a breathtaking way. No matter what the script calls for -- whether it's someone being struck, a drastic reaction, or something out-there -- these two never fail to impress. There's several great visual teams out there, but these two? They're without question one of the best art teams around and this issue of ELEKTRA is absolutely proof of that. Right from the opening splash page, your eyes are going to be hooked. I'm just blown away by how good this all looks. I know art is subjective and some of you out there may not enjoy the style, but the huge amount of creativity and effort that goes into creating these pages is something everyone can notice. Oh, and that cover? Beautiful.

The Bad

This series has been so creative and since we know Marvel's heading towards building a whole new universe, it's a little disappointing to see the very familiar "choose to save someone or get the bad guy!" option presented instead of truly concluding the conflict with Bullseye. In that moment, I can't help but feel like Elektra would have no problem disabling her significantly weakened enemies and then return to save the injured girl in a matter of a few seconds at most. And as entertaining as the issue is, it's a little tough to swallow someone overcoming such a dramatic injury because of will power and then proceeding to kick all kinds of ass. We see it all the time (Arrow!), but I was honestly expecting something more out-there to occur than her basically overcoming the absurdly violent injuries she just withstood. When a book is constantly throwing surprises your way and embracing the more surreal elements this world has to offer, it's a little disappointing to have things play out in such a familiar way. The way Elektra hinders Bullseye is a nice example of how this book stands apart from the rest, though! I can't help but wonder if this would conflict have been handled a little differently if the creative team had more time to tell the story.

Doesn't impact the score: Bullseye's remark about Elektra being better than him and being able to take him any day of the week seemed a little out of character. Maybe the recent experiences he's been through has changed his ego, but the way he acted in all of their previous encounters doesn't make me think he believes Elektra is his superior. I imagine he respects her talent and deep down he probably believes a fight between them could be a coin flip, but considering his ego and the amount of pain he's inflicted to her, it was a tad surprising to see what he said.

The Verdict

ELEKTRA leaves us with an issue that's full of gorgeous and imaginative visuals, thrilling action, and an ending that makes you wish it wasn't saying "goodbye." It's simply bringing it on every single level. It may not be as inventive as some of the previous chapters, but it's still able to wrap things up in an engaging and entertaining way while also giving us a conclusion that's thoroughly satisfying -- I just wish we could see what happens next! Just remember, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. And ELEKTRA? This series sure gave us a lot to love.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Bullseye feeling a little down in the dumps?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DonFelipe

Please tell me this issue has an infinite number of pages!

Otherwise, I may need a box of Kleenex before I start reading....

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

great art but yea i didnt like how it ended at all

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Bullseye would never admit to Elektra being better than him.He's way too cocky and confident for that.Especially against someone he notoriously murdered.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Get a box.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

This and Black Widow are two of my favorite books, I'm SO sad to see this end.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont care much for Elektra but the book was nice, the villain decay in it was ridiculous though.

I think its possible to write your protagonist as capable without making the baddies job that hard...

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@k4tzm4n said:

@donfelipe said:

Get a box.

Luckily, my LCS gets all the US comics on a bi-weekly delivery schedule, so Elektra's final issue is still ahead of me. On second thought, I could be over this already. Yeah, I better get a box then.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 owie  Moderator

@k4tzm4n I was out of town for a while so I just got a chance to finally read this, but can I say that when Elektra willpowered her seemingly totally crushed body up into immediately kicking some ass, I thought to myself, this totally reminds me of how much k4tzm4n hates Arrow's unexplained survival off the cliff, so I am totally amused that you actually wrote that out in the review! :)

What a beautiful end to the book.

The only way I'm not totally angry at Marvel for ending this is the semi-excuse of Secret Wars that's pretty much ending everything.

I did really like the end scene, hopefully that gets picked up somewhere.

Very nice final words from Blackman, too, it was interesting to hear how he felt unsure of himself as he was writing it, considering how confident the final product felt.

I wasn't all that psyched about her facing Bullseye again, but I felt like it was handled well.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not surprised by what Bullseye admitted to. Considering the last few times these two came up against each other, Elektra had the best of him, even while at a disadvantage and he ran away, just like this time.

I personally enjoyed the very clear line drawn here that Elektra is very much human and very much has a strong moral compass. According to her definition of morals, of course.

Nice review. I avoided reading it because it took me some time to recover from the ending of this series, but it was fair. I don't necessarily agree with your criticisms, but I can see how it might have come across to readers who perhaps weren't previous fans of the character.

The creative team did an exemplary job of presenting the Elektra I love, and I will treasure this run for the jewel it is.