Volume naming

cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cold_fuzion

I've noticed that a lot of volumes have been getting renamed with a volume # added (Teen Titans Vol. 1 for example). What is the official stance on this? I'm against it personally and I use Captain Marvel as my example why. Different characters, different publishers, same title. Are the Monica Rambeu titles in the same volume line as the Mar-Vell books? What about the original Captain Marvel? How exactly do you volume this? Is a single issue a volume?

I'm a big fan of putting whatever is on the cover and ONLY what it is on the cover. Take JSA Vs. Kobra somehow engines of faith got added to the title. While it is the name of the story arc, it's not on any of the covers.I'm ot trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to decide if I should be leaving these things alone or not.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Whatever the indicia states is what the volume should be titled.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

There's no need to add 'Vol. #1' on to the series' title.  There'll always be an icon featuring the cover of the first issue, so that should be a visual way to distinguish between different volumes.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By fesak  Moderator
@jloneblackheart said:

" Whatever the indicia states is what the volume should be titled. "

This.

If it says Teen Titans Vol. 1 in the indicia then that is the title. 
If it only says Teen Titans then that's the title. 
HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#5  Edited By HaloKing343

I think if its the same publisher it gets a number and if it crosses then it's just "volume". But l'm not a staffer so obviously I have no idea.

cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cold_fuzion
@fesak said:
" @jloneblackheart said:

" Whatever the indicia states is what the volume should be titled. "

This.  If it says Teen Titans Vol. 1 in the indicia then that is the title.  If it only says Teen Titans then that's the title.  "
But I've seen books that will have that for a few months, then just lose the Vol. 1 part.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

I know I've PMed at least one person adding the volume number to the volume pages. What Fesak said above is the policy, its the only one that makes sense (to me at least, always willing to hear other arguments of course). 

@aztek of course the first volume wouldn't have a volume number attached to it unless they planned on it being a multi-volume series to start with. It'd be kind of silly/pretentious to publish a "volume 1" and never have a volume 2 come out. 

I think part of the problem still lies in the search we've got on comicvine. People think its too hard to find certain volumes so they add these volume numbers. Like someone did with Fantastic Four- http://www.comicvine.com/search/?q=fantastic%20four&ct=volume  

@gpbmike we either need bigger thumbnails in the search pages so you can actually distinguish what volume we're looking at or we need some sort of indication of the year the volume started. 

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@Shatterstar said:
"

I think part of the problem still lies in the search we've got on comicvine. People think its too hard to find certain volumes so they add these volume numbers. Like someone did with Fantastic Four- http://www.comicvine.com/search/?q=fantastic%20four&ct=volume  

"
.....guilty
Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Aerik
@Shatterstar said:
@gpbmike we either need bigger thumbnails in the search pages so you can actually distinguish what volume we're looking at or we need some sort of indication of the year the volume started.  "
perhaps having the year the series started in there would be a benefit...
cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cold_fuzion
@aztek the lost said:
" @Aerik said:
" @Shatterstar said:
@gpbmike we either need bigger thumbnails in the search pages so you can actually distinguish what volume we're looking at or we need some sort of indication of the year the volume started.  "
perhaps having the year the series started in there would be a benefit... "
you shouldn't have to put it into the title, IMO the year (and publisher for characters) should by default appear when your searching but putting it in the title would be unnecessary and a lot of work "
I think he was more asking for the start year be added to the search results page you you would get something like: Fantastic Four (1964) instead of just Fantastic Four.
Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Aerik

You are a clever man my friend. On the results page would be great but it would be very useful in the drop down...

cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cold_fuzion
@Aerik said:
" You are a clever man my friend. On the results page would be great but it would be very useful in the drop down... "
Even better! I think that would solve 99% of this argument.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Yea thats what I meant. Thats how it used to be, plus the thumbnails were larger. One or the other would help IMO.

Merovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Merovin

Is anything going to be done with adding the start date to the drop down title? I saw that a few editors have started adding it outright to the title and I started to follow their lead (having read this post) but I don't want to make a change someone else will have to go back and fix.  I added it to a few volumes and realized I shouldn't go any further without checking.

I know having multiple volumes in the drop down makes me crazy. The thumbnails just aren't big enough to be helpful, so showing the volume start date adds some clarity.