The Submission Feedback Corner

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By X35

We all do it. You make a big wiki edit and then kinda get a bit worried something doesn't look right, or you get sceptical about how you've structured a part or you think you've used too many images or you just get deflated because you don't get the pat on the back you deserve.

I thought it would be nice to have a little corner where the wiki editors can link us to pages they've recently edited and get feedback on recent submissions they've made, show off their crazy encyclopaedic knowledge of a specific character or team or just in general get some pointers or tips.

Feels free to post away (but my god, please post away because I'll look a total idiot in a few months if no one at all replies to this and people of the future unearth this topic)

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp
(but my god, please post away because I'll look a total idiot in a few months if no one at all replies to this and people of the future unearth this topic)

*crickets*

Rusty_Irons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rusty_Irons

"Slow clap".

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By X35

@ReVamp said:

(but my god, please post away because I'll look a total idiot in a few months if no one at all replies to this and people of the future unearth this topic)

*crickets*

Oh, that sound. The only sound you heard when I left you at the altar?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Billy Batson

good thing I don't do large submissions :p
BB

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

@X35 said:

@ReVamp said:

*crickets*

Oh, that sound. The only sound you heard when I left you at the altar?

Meh. I was married anyways. Ivy's just a crap wifey.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

It's amazing how many Star Wars pages are.... well crap.

Just look at my top submissions. Most of those are 100% me because people made them without bothering to add anything.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
@X35: This is a great idea, I am pinning it
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#9  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@RazzaTazz: Don't you think there is enough pinned threads already? Should wait to see if the topic gets any legitimate replies first at least o.o

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
@pikahyper: Unpinning is pretty fast, plus I think its a good idea
pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@RazzaTazz: k

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By X35

Well since everyone else is too modest to kick this off...

hey everyone look it's everyone's least favorite character from one of the most hated Avengers stories ever!

Iron Boy

how does it look/read, etc.

HaydrianPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaydrianPayne

@X35 said:

Well since everyone else is too modest to kick this off...

hey everyone look it's everyone's least favorite character from one of the most hated Avengers stories ever!

Iron Boy

how does it look/read, etc.

Well, going with the spirit of the thread I'm going to bash you for every word I dislike.

Okay, I kid.

I think that it looks pretty good, reads well enough. Generally I'd try to aim for bigger paragraphs, but really, its subjective so that's not really a "negative". I'd say that the caption on the image under "Frostbite" should change, instead of having the issue number. The Powers and Abilities section seems really well organised, though.

Good Work.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By X35

@HaydrianPayne: all understandable criticisms.............if the image is a cover (which that is) i tend to just have that as the caption...i don't know what else would be the cation for that particular one. its one of the least exciting covers of them all.

i structure paragraphs by breaks in the story...i.e. to look at the Onslaught bit,

When Professor X lost control and became the Onslaught monster he led an army of Sentinels in an attack on New York. Iron Boy, Giant-Man, Quicksilver and Black Panther fought against the Sentinels and together with the Panther he created Vibranium helmets resistent to Onslaught's telepathy.

Iron Boy arrived with his helmets and joined up with the Avengers as they fought against Onslaught's minions Holocaust and Post in a huge battle in New York. All hope seemed lost until Captain America managed to trick Holocaust into attacking Post with full force and the Avengers swiftly took down the now weakened Holocaust.

Iron Boy and Doctor Doom's sacrifice during Onslaught
Iron Boy and Doctor Doom's sacrifice during Onslaught

Meeting up with the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk and Doctor Doom, Iron Boy and the Avengers joined in with a massive battle against Onslaught himself. The Hulk managed to destroy Onslaught's armor which leaves Onslaught as a being of nothing but raw psionic energy. Attempting to attack this new form, the heroes and villain discovered that attacks weaken this new form but also appear to kill the attacker. As the Avengers and Fantastic Four sacrifice themselves one-by-one, Onslaught gets progressively weaker. Before sacrificing himself, Iron Boy chases after Doctor Doom who had fled upon discovery that he may have to sacrifice his own life in order to stop the threat of Onslaught. Catching Doom, Iron Boy gripped tight a hold of the villain as he propelled himself into Onslaught sacrificing himself and taking Doom with him. Only the X-Men, Hulk, Quicksilver and Franklin Richards appeared to survive.

Those three paragraphs are all from different issues... the first one is Iron Man #332, the second Avengers #402 and the last Marvel Universe: Onslaught. details from Avengers #401 could beef one of them out but it's actually impossible to place it with regards to continuity and so inconsequential to both the character and story it's irrelevant. "The Avengers decide to chase down Magneto for some reason because X-Man warned them Professor X had gone insane. They bumped into Rogue and who they believed to be Magneto but it was in fact his clone Joseph. They had a fight and Iron Boy was quickly defeated while the other Avengers eventually overcame Joseph. Then they went home."

Actually describing some of that stuff made my head hurt. Those two years weren't the most coherent time for comics.

HaydrianPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HaydrianPayne

@X35 said:

@HaydrianPayne: all understandable criticisms.............if the image is a cover (which that is) i tend to just have that as the caption...i don't know what else would be the cation for that particular one. its one of the least exciting covers of them all.

Perhaps describing the events that are happening in 5 words? I mean, I have no clue what's happening so I don't really have any suggestions.

i structure paragraphs by breaks in the story...i.e. to look at the Onslaught bit,
Those three paragraphs are all from different issues... the first one is Iron Man #332, the second Avengers #402 and the last Marvel Universe: Onslaught. details from Avengers #401 could beef one of them out but it's actually impossible to place it with regards to continuity and so inconsequential to both the character and story it's irrelevant. "The Avengers decide to chase down Magneto for some reason because X-Man warned them Professor X had gone insane. They bumped into Rogue and who they believed to be Magneto but it was in fact his clone Joseph. They had a fight and Iron Boy was quickly defeated while the other Avengers eventually overcame Joseph. Then they went home."
Actually describing some of that stuff made my head hurt. Those two years weren't the most coherent time for comics.

Like I said, its subjective, not trying to demean your work at all.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X35

@HaydrianPayne: lol makes me sound like someone unable to take criticisms xD

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like this thread, I will contribute tomorrow. Of general note, I do like when users use the correct H2 tags and overall style template. Makes perusing pages so much nice when its all consistent. I still find new pages (as opposed to old pages that haven't been updated) still failing to use the proper format. Oh oh and important part of a character, team, place I think is who made them and talking about them in the creative sense, instead of just pretending they are real, so I always try to make sure I have good Creation and Character Evolution paragraphs.   

Cool thread!   

HaydrianPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaydrianPayne

@X35 said:

@HaydrianPayne: lol makes me sound like someone unable to take criticisms xD

Nah. S'all good.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By X35

@JediXMan: I dig the content on the pages

there's a few style guide thingys missing but i think a good written page is better than a poorly written page that follows the guidelines.....

Kyle's page (I remember him playing as him in Dark Forces!!)... the only tip I'd give is change Portrayal to "In Other Media"...also means you can flesh out a bit more instead of just saying "x voiced Kyle in this..." :)

as for Tahiri, i think "Personality" can fall under "character evolution"..but most of th eonly issues are that they dont quite follow the standard guideline headers

but i do like detailed pages for people who's appeared in so few comics haha xD

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Mercy_

I love this thread O_O

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@X35:

Only reason I said "portrayal" instead of "in other media" is because... well frankly, the entire article would fall under that. Most of that content is from games and novels, not comics. The reason for this is that Star Wars is completely different from Marvel or DC. In Star Wars, the comics, novels, and video games are at the same level of canon. Same goes for Tahiri, who has never appeared in a comic but did indeed appear in those source books - source books that are included in the wiki, and therefore the character "counts" for this site.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By X35

@Mercy_ said:

I love this thread O_O

I'M GONNA PRETEND THAT'S 100% UNSARCASTIC AND SAY "THANKS BABE" xD

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mercy_

@X35 said:

@Mercy_ said:

I love this thread O_O

I'M GONNA PRETEND THAT'S 100% UNSARCASTIC AND SAY "THANKS BABE" xD

No pretending needed :)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By X35

The 90s were so horribly convulted... I've added another story arc (from Spider-Man Team-Up #4) to the Iron Boy page (aka the "Bad 90s Ideas" concept page) but I honestly don't know if it reads any good at all because the plot is so goddamn ugly and incomprehensible. I expect plenty of "I don't understand it" but I've tried my hardest to summarise 65 pages of silliness.

Webs of Time

While with the Avengers, his team-mates insisted on putting him through intense training to make the transition between Iron Men unnoticeable to the public. Not showing restraint or appropriate strategic use of his armor while combat training with Hawkeye, Iron Boy threw a tantrum whenever Hawkeye outsmarted him in combat. In an impulsive outburst, Iron Boy attempted to siphon off all the energy from one of Hawkeye's trick arrows (one specifically designed for use against his armor) into his suit resulting in an overload and a small explosion. Hawkeye, being his usual jerk self, thought it would be hilarious to hide under the floor and convince the young and impulsive hero that he had actually killed Hawkeye. When Hawkeye reveals his gut-bursting comedy antics to his victim and he, Giant-Man and Wasp are in hysterics, Iron Boy gets annoyed and storms off.

Iron Boy, Spider-Man and the Avengers face Kang's latest scheme in Webs of Time
Iron Boy, Spider-Man and the Avengers face Kang's latest scheme in Webs of Time

Iron Boy met up with the real Iron Man's close friend Pepper Potts who had brought Iron Boy a thorough set of documents detailing the life of Tony Stark. While discussing his predecessor, Iron Boy soon started flirting with Pepper and playing on her relationship with the real Tony Stark. When Pepper rebuffed his advances, Iron Boy began insulting her husband Happy and almost forcing himself onto her. Interrupted by Jarvis, Pepper stormed out leaving Iron Boy frustrated and feeling a fool. After excusing Jarvis, he began throwing another temper tantrum throwing things about.

Elsewhere, Kang's robot of Spider-Man had resurfaced following the time disruptions during the Crossing which re-activated and seemingly changed it. Posing as Spider-Man, the robot had began abducting several people around New York and trapping them in a series of webs which literally "suck all time out of them". Captain America, Thor, Giant-Man and Wasp confronted this "Spider-Man" and were swiftly defeated and added to his collection. The current real Spider-Man showed up and after a fight, he discovered the nature of this "Spider-Man" and that he was working for Kang. The real Spider-Man was shocked to discover that the imposter believed Iron Boy was his master Kang. Before he could relay his discovery to anyone, the rest of the Avengers arrived and Quicksilver and Vision quickly subdued Spider-Man believing he to be responsible for what had happened to their fellow team-mates.

The imposter next attacked Columbia University where Iron Boy was attending a lecture. As Iron Boy's chest-piece began reacting weirdly to what was happening around him, he grew weak and he was close to blacking out. He witnessed as the imposter webbing up Kris and sucking all the time out of her. Unable to fight back due to his fastly declining state, the imposter grabbed Iron Boy, calling him "master", and escaped with a confused and weakened Iron Boy in tow.

The remaining Avengers managed to sort out the typical confusion with the real Spider-Man and deduce it was Kang's robot and most of what has happened so far. Basically, Kang's robot is "collecting time" from all those he captures to store as a sort of battery to activate Kang's time machine (in a Temple in New Mexico) and usher in "the Age of Kang". The robot believes Iron Boy to be Kang because when he was brought to this time it left him with vestigial temporal readings that the robot misread as Kang's.

As Kang and Iron Boy put into effect their plan for Iron Boy to rule over all of time, everything within the temple's close vicinity began having the time sucked out of it - including the advancing Avengers - leaving only Vision and for some reason Spider-Man unaffected by the crazy time leeching. As a confused and weakened Iron Boy stood by as a persistent Quicksilver and Crystal were quickly dispatched by the Spider-Man robot, Iron Boy finally snapped out of his trance and began fighting against the robot yelling that he won't become Kang's pawn like his predecessor. The robot is pretty quickly defeated now and everything returns to normal as Iron Boy realises how sharp and steadily a decline it must've been for the real Iron Man to fall from grace like he did. He makes a resolution to ensure that with the advantage of knowledge of what might happen to him (which the real Iron Man never had) he can hopeful prevent himself from having a similar downfall - starting by apologising to Pepper Potts and putting more effort into training with the Avengers.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By X35

I take it it was so confusing people couldn't even understand it ^_^

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Good idea for a thread ^__^  

I won't use it because my edits are fantastic, but for others I'm sure it's very helpful ;P

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By X35

@FadeToBlackBolt: Your Foggy Nelson page does not adhere to the guidelines!! SOMEBODY WIKI-BAN HIM FAST.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@X35: Then the guidelines should be rewritten  

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By kuonphobos

Hi all...I am a newbie who really wants to start editing some fairly obsure pages that I have found BUT I am somewhat intimidated. Mostly I would like for someone to walk me through all the tools for the proper formatting of an article or direct me to another thread that deals with such things.

By proper formatting I mostly mean the actual process of imbedding images, margin alignment, those long wide lines that separate sections etc. I am a novice in the use of the Parchment v1 / v2

Once upon a time when I was active on a message board all I had to do was hit the quote button and I could see all the hidden codes like [img]...[/img] around an image etc and then replicate what I was seeing, but the new formats just jump you directly to a page or just give you an "at (see I couln't even type in the at symbol without a box popping up) soandso" pop-up. Convienient but not helpful...I digress...

Anyhoo...First actual question? Is everything I need to do "proper formatting" up there in that box that contains "papagraph"; b; i; u, s, etc? If so, please do a quick demo and thanks.

Thanks for this thread to BTW!

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
Avatar image for jackson_hartley
Jackson_Hartley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By Jackson_Hartley
kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kuonphobos

Greetings. Not really sure to post this and this seemed like a somewhat possible choice.

Anywhoo, I was going to add some info to Worms of the Earth and upon doing a field search the search came up with a pic (which is correct) BUT on the actual page there was no pic and the page itself looked deserted. As this is one of my favorite comics of all time I am interested in making it pretty BUT is there something wrong with it? I can't figure out how to add a pic. Is that because it can only be done upon volume creation and this one was messed up somehow? I've got the pics, and the info and am ready to go just let me know.

Oh...and if there was a better place to pose this let me know and I'll go that route next time I find such weirdness.

Thanks.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By X35

@kuonphobos said:

Greetings. Not really sure to post this and this seemed like a somewhat possible choice.

Anywhoo, I was going to add some info to Worms of the Earth and upon doing a field search the search came up with a pic (which is correct) BUT on the actual page there was no pic and the page itself looked deserted. As this is one of my favorite comics of all time I am interested in making it pretty BUT is there something wrong with it? I can't figure out how to add a pic. Is that because it can only be done upon volume creation and this one was messed up somehow? I've got the pics, and the info and am ready to go just let me know.

Oh...and if there was a better place to pose this let me know and I'll go that route next time I find such weirdness.

Thanks.

From the looks of things, nobody has added any issues to it. So, at the top left it has a number of options "Edit page" and "Add new issue" are what you're after. Edit page lets you edit the page and add a brief description/rename the volume/add publisher, etc. and "Add issue" allows you to start adding the issues released to the volume.

As for the missing picture, it might be the case that everything involved with that volume was deleted. Although, I can't see any reason why.....

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#36  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@X35: @kuonphobos: I don't believe it was deleted. one of my fellow mods would rename it dupe or something (I renamed mine Poet so I can find them easier...)

I can't find a reason why the user didn't add issues, but I would say just add the issues. Most likely it was created using volume creation in the FAQ section (where you have to submit an image for the default pic), but you don't have the option of creating an issue at the same time like you do using the regular volume creation in the volume section...

I would say just add the issues.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kuonphobos

OK so let me just ask if I add an issue (in this case there will be only one as it is a GN/TPB) will there be an option for a cover pic and will it eventually show up on the volume page? Sorry for the newbie questions I know they are prob tedious. I just wanted to cover all the bases before really messing something up.

Thanks.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@kuonphobos: yep. it can be changed. However, you COULD use the original image the guy who added the volume used

(e.g.:

No Caption Provided

If this is the right image, all you have to do to add that image to the issue you want to add is search the site for "Worms of this earth", click on the that volume and get access to that image. If it isn't, I can direct you to the place you can change the volume image...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

My rewrite of the Coruscant page. I deleted the original two paragraphs and... well, see for yourself.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By X35

@JediXMan: Needs more Jar-Jar. ;)

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

@JediXMan: looks good.

@X35 said:

@JediXMan: Needs more Jar-Jar. ;)

you are a troll, you know that?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By X35

@The Poet: hehe, i just like teasing ^_^

his pages are good (give or take a lack of gungans)

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kuonphobos

Hello,

I have finally completed my first volume and issue pages and would welcome any constructive criticism.

Thanks.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Billy Batson

@kuonphobos said:

Hello,

I have finally completed my first volume and issue pages and would welcome any constructive criticism.

Thanks.

Looks good. Remember to use spell check though. Exibiting, lol :p
BB

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I know it's odd that I am talking about a non-Star Wars page (an Anime page, no less!), but here. I just worked on the page for Suzaku Kururugi.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Strafe Prower

@JediXMan: The content itself is good, it just needs to be put in the right format. look at the Wiki Style Guide to see what I'm talking about, if you don't already.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Strafe Prower said:

@JediXMan: The content itself is good, it just needs to be put in the right format. look at the Wiki Style Guide to see what I'm talking about, if you don't already.

Seems to be the only complaint I get regarding my submissions. All in all, okay. My only problem is that... well, honestly, I don't really agree with the style guide and I think it's a tad out dated (I heard word of them updating it, but I'm not positive)

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Strafe Prower

@JediXMan: While it may be outdated and I don't necessarily agree with all of it either, it's all we have right now. Seeing as it is an official rule for wiki submissions, I would do it it that way. To each his own though.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By X35

lol there are far more disagreeable things enforced than the guidelines here