Swamp Thing & Alec Holland

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

I just recently started reading the New 52 version of ST so excuse me if this isn't a problem. From what I can tell the Swamp Thing page describes Alec Holland. If it is supposed to be an avatar page it doesn't read that way. If the Alec Holland page is supposed to read as the human before becoming ST or a version of the man who never became ST it doesn't read that way either. Maybe a DC expert can shed some light or IMO the pages should just be combined.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Well to quote the Alec Holland page:

Note: This is not the Swamp Thing, even though he also goes by the name of Alec Holland, this is the human whose memories formed the basis for Swamp Thing's existence.

The Swamp Thing page is about the plant/muck/being who got Alec Holland's consciousness when his body got dumped in the swamp. The being thought he was Holland but it turned out that he wasn't.

He's been the protagonist for the Swamp Thing series up till now. Holland is the current Swamp Thing.

BB

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By wmwadeii

@billy_batson: that makes sense so I'll have to look at some recent issues he was tagged in because I don't think he was in them in human form, but as Swamp Thing. Although for the New 52 version I thought the original was Swamp Thing and the current is Alec turned into ST not a consciousness of him. Again would have to look at the first few issues as I didn't start until issue #19.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Al_capOWN

Wait what? This whole time i thought Holland IS swamp thing.....you saying allec really died and swamp thing collected his memories a la dr octopus and spider man?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Wait what? This whole time i thought Holland IS swamp thing.....you saying allec really died and swamp thing collected his memories a la dr octopus and spider man?

Yes but Alec came back in Brightest Day.

BB

AnAnchorAtBay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AnAnchorAtBay

With the ST character page listing "real name" as Alec Holland and "Alias" Doctor Holland, wouldn't it be more thorough to combine the two as stated previously? I understand the new 52 ST has taken on a different direction/persona but whether it's the Holland mind/muck monster from previous series' or literally Holland, can't it live within the same profile? "Holland is the current Swamp Thing", Yes he is and it is indicated on the ST character profile page under "real name". Even characters within the new 52 universe call Holland Swamp Thing.

I've noticed that some non new 52 issues (prior to 2009/Brightest) have Alec Holland listed rather than Swamp Thing and it seems like the lines get blurred for the over arching character of Swamp Thing. I understand that being as specific and thorough as possible is important which means the ST & AH character pages need to be properly re-defined. If someone was to search ST on comic vine and the majority of the new 52 comics didn't show up because Swamp Thing is now truly Alec Holland how would that properly represent a database for the character of ST?