Publisher page doesn't show issues attached to it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#1  Edited By cbishop

Hey, all, I just created a page for The Eager Beaver Space Book, and attached it to the already-existing-but-stub-of-a-page Cities Service Oil Co. When I look at the CSOC page, the comic is not showing. Did I attach it wrong?

On a related note, the EBSB cover does not show when you look it up in a search. You get that goofy CV-guy instead. I think that's related to how I screwed up the image when I created the page, but if somebody could fix that, great.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: Associated volumes no longer show up on publisher pages, instead go to Wiki>Issues or Wiki>Volumes and in the filter fields add the publisher and any other filtering/sorting options you like and you can see the associated comics that way. This new search is much better then the old one before the relaunch because of the extra options.

As for the volume image I posted on your wall about that.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cbishop

@pikahyper: This isn't at you, but just commenting in general: that's dumb. What good is the publisher page if you can't see the related issues? Why fix the stuff that isn't broke, when there's plenty of bugged-up stuff that needs fixing? ...Like say the blogs I still can't edit. ...or the way CV eats comments.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: well the associated volumes on the publishers page on the old site weren't all that useful it just listed them in alpha order, at least now it is much more useful.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop

@pikahyper: It's nice that the search can get that specific (although it would be nice if the green button said "start search" for the uninitiated, rather than "this form is awesome"), but why couldn't that search system appear on each publisher's page? It just seems kind of silly to pull it out of the wiki. It's GREAT for the user, but BAD for the site.

It's great for the user, because it's in one spot, and if you're looking for certain info, you don't have to browse all over to find it.

It's bad for the same reasons. ...The commercial purpose of this site is to create wiki, news, forum, blog, and list pages that ads can be placed on, with the assumption that users will be browsing through those pages and perhaps click some of the ads. By creating the (yes) user-friendly search in one centralized location, most of the motivation for browsing pages has been eliminated. At the very least, there's little to no reason to look at the publisher pages now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: those browse pages are part of the wiki and putting all those filtering options on the publisher page wouldn't fit the design very well. I'm guessing the associated volumes probably weren't included on publisher pages to cut down on resource usage, every time a publisher page is viewed all sorts of queries are run and for large publishers it is a waste of resources to keep running those queries on page load to pre-load all those volumes when there is no guarantee the user even needs to see them.

As far as I can tell usage of publishers pages has not decreased any, if anything it has increased now that more are being added every day and users are still browsing pages and viewing ads and all of the feedback I've received on using the centralized browse search has been positive once they see that it exists, when it first happened I was against the associated volumes being dropped from publisher pages because I used them a lot but once I used it a few times I loved it and prefer it to the old method 100%.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cbishop

@pikahyper: Yes, it's easier, but do you use the publisher pages now?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: I'd say I use them more now then I used to, I used to only go to them for browsing associated volumes but now I go to them for other reasons.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Well, glad it works for you. Outside of the associated volumes, I don't see a reason to go to the publisher pages, unless one plans specifically to work on that page.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: characters, teams, forums and info like website and twitter seem like big draws to me.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Characters and teams have their own pages that will likely get looked at before the publisher page does. CV is probably not the first place someone is going to look for a publisher's website/address/twitter info. They're probably going to look (and find it) in a search engine. We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this.

(and ignore the bold- it's that CV glitch thing that happens when you backspace).

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator

@cbishop: can't please a 100% of users, the site has to cater to the majority and so far you are the only one that has had a problem with it.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers