New Wiki Storage Backend

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

Edited By wcarle

I wanted to give you guys a quick heads up, we have some improvements to our wiki storage back end coming this week. Most likely tomorrow afternoon we will be switching one of or back end servers that stores associations between wiki pages..

We are going from a shared data store to a completely standalone service. This will mean more stability and better backups. We have had a few instances where we've lost data about wiki associations and had to rebuild that lost data... which can take a long time. That shouldn't happen again once this move is complete.

It should be pretty seamless and you shouldn't see any disruption but you may see some initial weirdness or missing data (all of which we can recover). I'll update this blog post once we go live with the changes, I just wanted to give you all a heads up in case things briefly catch on fire.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 230

Again, I am completely tech ignorant here... I mean, if I don't close Windows when it starts to rain, I'm doing pretty well... but when you say standalone, does that mean Comic Vine will be standalone with its own server, or that Comic Vine/ Giant Bomb/ Game Spot will be standalone from everything else? I've been a little confused about CV being on the GS server (or whatever) but not having to interact with GS. Yeah... no tech savvy here. :}

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

This afternoon is perfect, I won't be around until 4-5pm so for once an update won't interfere with my editing :D

Edit:

Oh and seven times isn't a "few" and there is still a lot of associated data that is still gone, I run across pages missing stuff daily.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#3 pikahyper  Moderator

@ficopedia: Generally large sites use multiple servers to distribute the work of hosting a large site, breaking them up onto multiple servers improves the performance and usually ensures the entire site won't go down at one time.