How to handle deadnaming in the wiki?

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

A strange question I guess, but as it pertains to Sophie Campbell, she is deadnamed in the first 5 words of her wiki page at CV. I know that this site is factual and based on information, and therefore some mention of her pprevious name would be necessary, but I am curious as to how this would be handled to not be disrespectful to her change.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: I think it is ok as it is, it doesn't seem disrespectful to me to include info on her old name since so much of her work is credited as such, she probably understands that and would want to minimize any confusion for her fans. If I'm remembering correctly this has only happened two or three times so its never really been discussed and as far as I know none of them are on the site to set us correct, maybe ask her on twitter or via email? we would respect her wishes whichever way she goes.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I guess in this scenario it is pretty hard to separate the past as she was published under her old name so many times.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: yep, I'm sure if she has a problem with it she will reach out, that's normally what happens when creators need something changed here.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Oh OK, I think that she has been fairly private with this so far, though she did just release an interview in the Advocate.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: True, I was trying to think of any other prominent trans figures in the industry such as this and couldn't think of any. At least none that transitioned mid-career.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Had never heard of deadnaming before. Only input I can really offer is that I think it's very sweet of you to consider her so :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: I'm bad with names but I can remember one other for sure and a second is in the back of my head.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: I had never heard of it before Caitlyn Jenner became a pop culture celebrity. I guess it is a form of shaming though, or at least shows a lack of acceptance as people use it to put down or to refuse to acknowledge trans people. I am not very passionate about the subject, but I do like people to be recognized as they like, so it occurred to me when I was reading her page here.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I guess that she is the most prominent to do so, though there are likely a few others to follow.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator