How detailed should bios be?

Raif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Raif

Because the bio I picked to do first is Wiccan and he is part of such a new team, I am finding it hard not to go into a lot of details. I am thinking of doing the Origin very detailed but then making the rest of the bio much less detailed. Would that be good?

I hope I am not posting too much, I just have so many questions.

Post Edited:2006-12-21 12:39:55

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

Well, it all depends. Say somebody comes onto the site looking to learn about the Young Avengers, and more specifically, Wiccan. Do want them to just get the basic gist of it, or do you want them to be able to learn all about his adventures on and off the team?

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ebony Bishop

I've been trying to highlight major events in the character's lives, and glossing over individual things that might not change the character. For example, Quasar has died 3 times -- I thought that was pretty important to mention. But mentioning every costume change, or specifically talking about how he fought the Collector when it didn't change his character, seemed gratuitous.

I figure anything that has long-standing impact to a character should definintely be in there. Which basically means that there should be HUGE portions of Spider-Man and Batman's life that aren't mentioned, since they don't leave lasting effects.

But mentioning when Peter was cloned, or when Batman had his back broken, should be in there, since they severely changed the status quo and introduced new characters in the lead roles in the books.

With Wiccan, because he's so new, almost everything will seem huge. I mean, he's been around for such a short time, and he's already had a name change!

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Ebony Bishop says:

"I've been trying to highlight major events in the character's lives, and glossing over individual things that might not change the character. For example, Quasar has died 3 times -- I thought that was pretty important to mention. But mentioning every costume change, or specifically talking about how he fought the Collector when it didn't change his character, seemed gratuitous.I figure anything that has long-standing impact to a character should definintely be in there. Which basically means that there should be HUGE portions of Spider-Man and Batman's life that aren't mentioned, since they don't leave lasting effects.But mentioning when Peter was cloned, or when Batman had his back broken, should be in there, since they severely changed the status quo and introduced new characters in the lead roles in the books.With Wiccan, because he's so new, almost everything will seem huge. I mean, he's been around for such a short time, and he's already had a name change!"

Good points. Also remember that you can Create a Key Story Arc to do more detailed work that you think deserves its own page.

Let's say you are doing the bio for Jean Grey, you can create a story arc called "The Dark Phoenix" and link that page to Jean Grey's page. Then in the Dark Phoenix story-arc page you can talk about Phoenix I and Phoenix II and all the X-Men and anything else you want to add about that concept.

Raif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raif

Thanks for the tips. I decided because Wiccan is a newer person I am going with some what longer bios. I did a lot on the origin of him finding out about his power but I am going to be a lot less in dept with the rest because I don't want to be giving away anything if people have not read the comics other then just broad info of major evens. I think. I am still very new to this and am getting used to doing it. I hope I get better.
Post Edited:2006-12-21 12:39:21

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Captain Cascader

We're all new to this, so no worries. I'm of the opinion that pages can never be too long. I absolutely hate web sites that make you click around to 50 different pages just to see info. As to spoilers and giving away info, I think as long as you title your headers appropriately people will know what to avoid.

ScoodleDaddle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By ScoodleDaddle

I hope Booster's page isn't too much. I just wanted to be thorough, and cover all the important stuff.