Green Lantern Concept Page

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

Is there a point of having a Green Lantern Corps team page and a concept page? The concept page has less info then the team page but more appearances. I don't see the point of having the concept page as almost everything is covered in the team page, and the concept seems to be associated to pages with only 1 Lantern appearance.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: Just a guess bust most likely the concept page is only supposed to be used when a single GL appears in an issue since that does not qualify as a team and then when two or more appear in an official capacity then just the team is added.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper That makes sense, but I don't see what the point of that is. if a GL appears people will know by the characters name. If it's only for one page should all the info from the team page be moved to the concept page, seeing as their almost identical in use.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: well point being not everyone knows every single Green Lanterns name, you have to think of it from the reverse, if a user wants to know every appearance by a single GL they can go to the concept page, if the user wants to know every appearance of multiple GL's in a single issue they can use the team page. Looking at both pages I do see some redundant data but not a lot (mostly just the original oath), the concept page is more general and the team page is more specific.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper That makes sense, I didn't think about it like that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: all that depends on common sense and logic though, not all editors subscribe to that so I'm sure the pages are not being used properly, most concepts aren't.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: all that depends on common sense and logic though, not all editors subscribe to that so I'm sure the pages are not being used properly, most concepts aren't.

If I have time, I'll go through that concept and remove it from pages with more then 1 GL and replace it with the team page, unless it was already there.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: unless you have the comics to use as reference it's probably not a good idea, I tend to be cautious with this kind of stuff, especially if it's for a page that has been used for a long time, I don't like the idea of potentially deleting data that shouldn't be deleted, it is better to try and educate editors going forward.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudguy: unless you have the comics to use as reference it's probably not a good idea, I tend to be cautious with this kind of stuff, especially if it's for a page that has been used for a long time, I don't like the idea of potentially deleting data that shouldn't be deleted, it is better to try and educate editors going forward.

Good point, I only have a few GL comics so I guess their's no point trying do edit the page. I do think we need to update the concept and FAQ pages as they're not that clear for a lot of the new updates/rules.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: well the majority of the rules are there, all the other stuff tends to be common sense type stuff that you learn with experience, these days though the majority of editors are casual editors or don't leave moderation so they are not around long enough to pick things up and even fewer actually real the rules and FAQ pages.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper Yeah, I noticed that their aren't that many big editors apart from the users in the top 10 users list. Maybe if we updated the FAQ and rules a bit more it might make people want to read them if they're relevant. Take the FAQ page for example, it links to the "community" run twitter page that hasn't been used in over 2 years. The wiki guides video's are so outdated that should just be removed from the FAQ.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the "Meet Comicvine's Mods" page should defiantly be updated as old mods have retired and new ones have taken their place.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp said:

@cloudguy said:

Also, the "Meet Comicvine's Mods" page should defiantly be updated as old mods have retired and new ones have taken their place.

This one is actually in production. So we are doing one thing right. (But just the one!)

Nice, I thought that I saw that it was mentioned somewhere, but I wasn't sure. Well if you need a space to be filled, give me a shout, I've always wondered how you guys run that mod cult of yours.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: It has videos? I thought those were gone already. Like I said though most are casual or temp editors, that mostly means they are not here to read things or familiarize themselves with our rules or how we do things, a lot come here to edit something specific, usually in conjunction with how it is displayed or what is displayed in some third party application via the API, some just don't like data missing from something they like, we always ask them to read the guides or get familiar with how we do things but it doesn't usually pay off.

The "Meet Comicvine's Mods" page is deprecated, that is why it isn't stickied anymore, it was supposed to be replaced with a new one right away but the mod in charge of that disappeared because of non-CV commitments but another mod is in the process of drafting a new one, not all of the mods are active though so it's taking a while to gather necessary info but I know the mod will finish what they started.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renchamp said:

@cloudguy: The secret is that we let Pika do all the work because he is the only one who knows what's broken, why it's broken, and how to get around it. (Not really, but he does do quite a bit.)

So the key to becoming a mod is to grovel at yours and Pika's feet? Or do you accept cash? (I can do cake as well, I work in a cake shop part time).

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pikahyper  Moderator

@renchamp: lowercase 'p' :P uppercase looks bad.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#19 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

One of the original uses of the page is for staff to attach news and articles to. Most likely for the same reasons pika mentioned.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20 fesak  Moderator

It's one of the first concept pages made, so i think maybe then it wasn't really clear what the concepts were supposed to be. I agree it's a bit redundant, but isn't there at least one Green Lantern, (Alan Scott) who never were a corps member, but still should be included on the GL concept page?