GCD has foreign language comics that we don't have yet

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've noticed that the Grand Comics Database has many foreign language comics that are still missing on Comic Vine.

If anyone's wondering what else to add to Comic Vine, go to www.comics.org and type in the name of your favorite series into the search engine. Chances are, there'll be many foreign language series among the search results. Here's an example.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: that's been one of my ongoing projects, foreign comics have never been that popular here so for most of the time the site has been up very little was added, it wasn't until about four years ago when I added the entire Panini catalog for three countries that other people started adding more but then it died down a couple years ago as a lot of editors left before and after the launch of the new platform and its never really picked back up, at best I'd say there is maybe a dozen users that add foreign comics but it is sporadic and few issues each time. I've still got a backlog of over 150k cover images for comics from France, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Japan, China, the Netherlands, the UK, Portugal, Taiwan, Korea, Russia, etc. sitting on this computer and my server but I just haven't had the time for adding bulk, at best I average 200 or so non-US comics per month about 1/5th of what I add for US stuff, there should be another zero on that average but I just end up spending more and more time working on US comics, fixing others work, moderating, replacing covers and filling in info gaps for older existing issues :/

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NetSpiker

@pikahyper: If I PM you my email address, can you send me all your cover images that you haven't added yet? It will save me time because I won't have to download them one at a time from GCD and I won't have to figure out which comics have already been added.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: that I won't do lol, GCD only has covers that are 400px wide, mine are all 700px-5000px wide (I can't stand small images) and have been gathered from sites all over the world (I've spent way too much time on it to give them away), all those images would also be way too big, well over 100gigs for everything (another reason I'd like to start adding them so I can clear up some space).

one of the reasons CV is still better then GCD is that we have higher quality standards for covers.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Then how about this: you send me some of your covers (maybe 100 images) and after I've finished adding them, I'll tell you and you can send me another lot of covers.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator
NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Can you explain why not? You said you wanted to clear up some space and I'm offering to help you do that.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: Primarily it is because of how much time I've spent gathering these covers, not to mention the bandwidth used and the time spent learning and figuring out these other languages so I can navigate sites and get these covers and cultivating friendships in other countries to get access to publisher resources and sites not available to the public. Secondary reason is because I will most likely have to spend time filling in the issues after you add them, I have access to a lot of resources and data that most editors do not, I'm also able to find a lot of things others can't so if I'm going to be putting in that time I might as well just add the issues as well. Third I optimize every cover and oftentimes restore them, very few users do that.

None of this is meant as an insult to your skills or any other users editing skills but my OCD obsession towards the wiki and my resources puts me in a position to do more then others can.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@renchamp: ya I was thinking that but couldn't think of a way to say it without sounding like a dick :D

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: Well, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I'd still like to make some kind of contribution to the task of adding foreign language comics to Comic Vine. I see you didn't mention Norway in your first reply. If you don't have any Norwegian comic covers, would it be okay if I add the ones I found on the GCD?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pikahyper  Moderator

@netspiker: oh please add whatever you want from any country you want, foreign comics are not mine exclusively or anything, if someone can add something before me it is fair game and if I had the covers it is my own fault for not adding it sooner. I do reserve the right to be miffed if sometime in the future I have to replace any covers or fill in any info gaps but I have to do that kind of stuff daily, just comes with the job and is quickly forgotten :)

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

@netspiker: There are lots of comics that are not in here at all. If you look around the comic book museum website, there are lots of series that I haven't seen here.