DC's Greek Gods...

peppermintking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

A year or so ago, each of the Greek Gods who had appeared in a comic book (mainly Wonder Woman) had their own pages. It seems they've been deleted and/or merged with the In Public Domain characters? I'm not sure why this is, as Marvel still has their pages for Hercules, Ares, Zeus, etc. The Greek Gods are a pivotal group of characters in Wonder Woman's series, as well as others... they should have their own pages if the Marvel versions do.

Can anyone fill me in on why they don't have pages?

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2 fesak  Moderator

In general alternate versions of a character only gets their own page if they have a substantial amount of appearances as Marvels Hercules and Ares do. The Zeus page should probably be merged with the public domain one.

peppermintking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Ares is one of Wonder Woman's main villains, and has made more appearances than Marvel's Ares, though. It's odd to me that he gets a page and not DC's Ares.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fesak  Moderator

I think you're wrong there, DC Ares has around 100, Marvels Ares has 660

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#5 pikahyper  Moderator

and it's not just about appearances, there has to be significant differences to warrant it as well.

someone brings this up at least once a year though with the same result, DC pantheons are too traditional and don't have enough significant differences.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

I'm seeing that there are 3 different Morgan le Fay characters and now someone when around switching all the public domain Morgan le Fays I had for Fables and switched it with the DC version. Shouldn't Morgan le Fay just have one page...as with Merlin and anyone else from Camelot? I'm not sure about Marvels version, but DC is pretty much the same thing as the traditional.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pikahyper  Moderator

@fables87: pretty sure there should only be two, the original and Marvel.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: some one should fix it. they messed up all my edits with the public domain one for fables and switched it on me to DC.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

@fables87: if anyone is going to fix it it will probably have to be you, I don't see anyone volunteering and I just got home from an all you can eat breakfast buffet so I'm in no condition, I'll be in a food comma shortly.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pikahyper  Moderator

@fables87: it was a pleasant food coma with some much needed sleep :)

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fesak  Moderator

The fastest would be to move over everything from the PD one to DC's then change that one. Also i see that there's a DC Merlin that probably also should be merged.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

and it's not just about appearances, there has to be significant differences to warrant it as well.

someone brings this up at least once a year though with the same result, DC pantheons are too traditional and don't have enough significant differences.

DC's Poseidon is a giant frogfish, I don't think I would call that traditional.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak: Could you do that for me?

@pikahyper said:

DC's Poseidon is a giant frogfish, I don't think I would call that traditional.

Actually the god's were know to shape shift into several forms.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No idea myself same is for angels like gabriel from vertigo

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fesak  Moderator

@fables87 :

Done, is the DC version of Merlin different enough or should he be merged too?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Outside_85

Which is an odd way of making distinctions when Marvel's are holesale copy/pasted from myths and into their books with the barest minimum of changes.

An example: Athena (who hasn't gotten a seperate page)

1, 3 and 5 is how DC's Athena has appeared over the last 15 years or so. Number 4 is how Marvel's tend to look and 2 is an old sculpture of Athena... which one of the drawings resemble the statue the most?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: not every version of the Marvel pantheon diverge.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fesak: The Merlin DC is pretty much the same thing. Most of Camelot stuff from DC follows Malory tradition. So I see no reason for all these Lancelots and Merlins and Lady if the Lakes floating around on here.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: not every version of the Marvel pantheon diverge.

I would say they rarely do. Thor is perhaps the best example, he talks like a shakesperian character, he's blond and clean-shaven, and that's about it.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: If you are only talking about visually the same sure but we aren't, using your example Marvel's Thor has done many many things that no other version of Thor has done, that makes him unique enough to have his own page, same goes for any other god that has that many unique adventures compared to the public domain or historical versions, that's why the general criteria states that a character must have significant differences to be added and that encompasses all aspects of a character.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: By that admission you should have no trouble with the DC versions having their own pages since they've generally been around far longer than Marvel's versions and are quite removed from their mythological sources.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: not removed enough, the majority of DC's pantheon are still separate from the rest of DC's Earth, they distance themselves and stick to their mythological "posts" and are rarely updated or modernized, Marvel's pantheon most of the time lives on Earth and interacts, that is a large difference and again it isn't about one aspect of a character which you keep latching on to. Even if you somehow convince me otherwise its still not going to change anything since this is a rule started by the staff and enforced by all the mods.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pikahyper  Moderator

@outside_85: why even start this when you don't edit those pages?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pikahyper  Moderator
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: When the mood strike me, I have. Ares, Hera, Hades, Strife are some I've contributed to

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: not removed enough, the majority of DC's pantheon are still separate from the rest of DC's Earth, they distance themselves and stick to their mythological "posts" and are rarely updated or modernized, Marvel's pantheon most of the time lives on Earth and interacts, that is a large difference and again it isn't about one aspect of a character which you keep latching on to. Even if you somehow convince me otherwise its still not going to change anything since this is a rule started by the staff and enforced by all the mods.

Last time I seen DC Apollo he was a black guy having a pool party on earth. All of DC's New 52 gods are very different from myth to the point if you just looked at them you wouldn't even know.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pikahyper  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous: that still doesn't meet the criteria, new 52 hasn't been around long enough for these versions to have enough appearances to warrant splitting.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: that still doesn't meet the criteria, new 52 hasn't been around long enough for these versions to have enough appearances to warrant splitting.

But they have been making regular appearances in Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper said:

However there is already a DC Artemis who has no relation to the god other then the fact she is named after her, so if we had it would be very confusing for the editors. A lot of the Amazon characters are named after Greek gods.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fables87 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@pikahyper said:

However there is already a DC Artemis who has no relation to the god other then the fact she is named after her, so if we had it would be very confusing for the editors. A lot of the Amazon characters are named after Greek gods.

That's hardly confusing. There is tons of characters with the same name.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: yes, but it is when there are two dc versions. there was already had an issue were someone added the dc morgan le fay as the fables one (when fables isn't even part of dc comic community), thus they had to make morgan le fay just public and marvel. I see a lot of people just add a character based on the company rather then actually looking on the page.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fables87: That's still no reason. All the Eternals are named after gods at Marvel.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fables87 said:

@jonny_anonymous: yes, but it is when there are two dc versions. there was already had an issue were someone added the dc morgan le fay as the fables one (when fables isn't even part of dc comic community), thus they had to make morgan le fay just public and marvel. I see a lot of people just add a character based on the company rather then actually looking on the page.

Well, that example is down to the OP not adding the Fables' Morgan to the Vertigo publisher where she belonged.

But it seems it's not just DC's gods thats getting lost under the PD banner even though they have very little in common. While I am not an expert in Arthurian lore, I don't think Morgan was ever described as a centuries old vitality sucking witch that dressed in full-encompassing gold armor.