Can we post gifs on wikis?

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

I'm planning on putting one in the Skateboarding wiki I made and I just want to make sure that it's fine.

Thanks

~RRT

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#2 pikahyper  Moderator

@rocketraccoonthingy: eh, there are no rules about it but honestly I think it looks cheap and way too 90s internet. If you were going to use it for the default then definitely no as the default doesn't render transparency well, any transparency in the image just becomes black.

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@rocketraccoonthingy: I'd say no but maybe one of the other wiki mods is ok with it, just put it off for a couple days to see if anyone else chimes in, if not then don't add it.

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 24

@pikahyper@rocketraccoonthingy@renchamp From what I've seen on other wiki sites gifs can be quite useful if used correctly. They can be shown transformations and several other things.

Although i'm talking about characters that from manga/anime. I don't think that gifs would be good on that specific page.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: they can indeed have some uses, if used well I wouldn't mind but not for most pages especially since the site does not handle gifs very well, if uploaded with the site uploader they are usually modified by the site in a way that damages them (in wiki descriptions and defaults, galleries work to an extent when the thumbnail is clicked), especially if they have transparency, the only way to add unmodified working gifs is to drag and drop but once a gif is added that way and saved if the page is edited again it usually will disappear or it will disappear when saved next, that is not ideal.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: I was planning on using 1 or 2 gifs for a write-up but if that's the case I won't.

Actually seeing as the site doesn't like gifs could we just link it?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pikahyper  Moderator

@cloudguy: well before giving up you should try it for yourself, you may find a method that works, if the gifs don't have transparency you also have a better chance.

as for linking I dunno, are you talking an offsite link where the image is hosted elsewhere? we generally don't allow offsite linking.

cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper I was thinking of just opening the image in a new tab and use that link, unless that still counts as offsite linking.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pikahyper  Moderator
cloudguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper Right ok. If I can't find decent gifs i'll link them. If I can i'll use them on the page.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By BlueEcho

I thought that wiki pages were not supposed to link to outside sources, its a big no-no isn't it?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: offsite links other then the website/twitter links in the sidebar are not allowed, his last posts were to link to the image onsite, the image would be hosted here and not on another site so it would be ok, I'm not a fan of it but it doesn't break any rules.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper: OK got it, still seems kind of weird.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@blueecho: not wanting offsite links or linking to the gif? offsite links is mainly cause of search engine stuff and not wanting to advertise potential competitors or run the risk of users linking to things they shouldn't or things that could get our users to leave (the longer a user is on the site per day the better).

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers