Add a book

akutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By akutz

I apologize if this is a question to which there is a readily available answer, but I could not find it. I want to add a new book as a variant of Star Wars: Heir to the Empire (http://www.comicvine.com/star-wars-heir-to-the-empire-1-tpb/4000-219781/). The linked version is the Dark Horse TPB that was released in 1996. However, the version I want to add is the TPB published by Marvel in November of 2015 (http://amzn.com/B00PR4B3C8) after being given the Star Wars publishing rights through the Lucasfilm acquisition by Disney.

Thank you in advance!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2 JediXMan  Moderator

@akutz:

Hello. Please post these kinds of topics in the Editing & Tools board. I'll move it for you.

akutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@akutz: There is no difference between the original Dark Horse edition and the Marvel edition so the Marvel one would not be added to the wiki (Marvel was lazy and only added the Legends banners to everything). If you want you can add the cover for the Marvel edition as a variant of the Dark Horse one but that is it, to add the cover go to the Dark Horse editions issue page hit Edit and then below the existing cover is the button you click to upload a new cover. The Marvel cover would be the secondary cover after the page is refreshed.

akutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:Hi Pika, understood. Since the publisher information did change I didn't know if the book information should reflect that. It seems to be that it kind of should, shouldn't it? Those are critical fields, and so even if no content changed, it's an entirely new imprint/publisher, like when Powers switched from Image to Icon. Although it appears that change (http://www.comicvine.com/powers-who-killed-retro-girl-1-vol-1/4000-355712/) wasn't reflected on ComicVine either (while resellers do reflect it - http://amzn.com/0785192743).

I work in tech, but I also have worked in publishing. Machine Access Control (MAC) addresses (hardware assigned IDs for a computer's network port) have what are called Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) numbers. The first three octets of a MAC address are the OUI, unique to the organization. Thus if Apple produces a system with a network port, the network port's MAC address's first 24 bits are Apple's OUI, identifying the organization.

International Standard Book Numbers (ISBN) are also designed to be unique for a publisher. According to ISBN.org (http://www.isbn.org/faqs_general_questions):

The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher and is unique to that edition, allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries, universities, wholesalers and distributors.

It seems to me that a published comic's information should also reflect the organization that published it. But that's just me.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@akutz: Normally you are right if the publisher is different in subsequent editions it is changed, for a lot of older existing volumes on the site they get forgotten as older stuff does not get updated very often, for stuff like these Marvel Legends editions it can cause more confusion then it solves to update, if we update the volume to Marvel we are likely to get editors trying to re-add the original editions when they already exist (and it can confuse people looking for information) so I've found that it is best to just include information in the volume description to explain the different editions and publisher changes.

Now if the site platform was more advanced we could add other things to make this less of a problem such as allowing more then one publisher to be added to a volume and isbn numbers but currently adding new features to the wiki is not a priority.

akutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By akutz

@pikahyper: Ah, are Marvel Legends pretty bad about absorbing old licenses and literally just pushing the same TBP with a new label en masse? I'm working on a new comic tagging program written in Golang (as it's completely portable between Linux/Windows/Java as native binaries). It will be CLI-only, and it's waiting on me porting the Unrar code from C to Golang. I bring it up to say I'm going to only support the ComicRack tagging format as I think it's far more sensible to use an XML file inside the archive than metadata as part of the archive itself (as ComicBookLover does with CBZ files). The XML schema should be extended to support multiple publishers that can be linked to editions / complete duplicates or overrides of the basic data. That would enable what is needed in this case -- at least on the client-side.

@pikahyper: I also wanted to say thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@akutz: It is mainly only for the Star Wars franchise, when Marvel took back the license from Dark Horse they basically just took all the restored editions that Dark Horse had spent years and tons of time/money restoring and releasing as digital editions and then slapped the Legends banner on them and since then Marvel has been releasing the entire Dark Horse Star Wars catalog on Marvel Digital, Comixology and Amazon Kindle at full price (some actually costing more then Dark Horse charged) when they are the same exact digital files that were released by Dark Horse the past few years, single issues and collections, the only exception so far has been the Star Wars Epic Collections as those are the only ones released in print, if I remember correctly Epic Collections are more about releasing stuff chronologically so the Epic Collections tend to be in slightly different orders or sometimes collected different things or things that had not previously been collected so those and the new omnibuses (which Dark Horse never published) have been the only ones that have been added to the wiki as they are "new".

akutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers