Detective Comics #940

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

James Tynion IV has kept the twists coming as the story moves at a rapid pace. Batman has teamed up with Batwoman and others in order to prepare for the threat of the Colony. Discovering who was behind it was was a big blow, but the threat they pose to them and Gotham City must still be dealt with.

Batwoman has moved towards the center of the spotlight in dealing with their foe, but it's Tim Drake that is putting everything on the line now. Tynion's story showcases a battle on two fronts, and each has hard-hitting blows with some serious consequences looming in the background.

The hard-hitting blows aren't just felt by the characters in the title. Long time fans will find themselves on the edge of their seats, fearful of just how the first arc will end. Tynion knows how to amp up the intensity of the story. There's a lot at stake, and you almost feel like covering your eyes instead of witnessing what happens next.

Eddy Barrows' pencils combined with Eber Ferreira's inks and Adriano Lucas' colors continue to be top notch. You can see and feel every beat of the action as well as get a great sense of the emotion pouring off the page when a tragedy occurs. There are some silent panels and pages that deliver so much with the visuals.

Detective Comics concludes its first arc with a powerful ending. James Tynion IV, Eddy Barrows, Eber Ferreira, and Adriano Lucas have consistently delivered a great Batman story with the Dark Knight taking a new direction. We've seen the different characters fleshed out without getting lost in the crowd, and the action moves the story at a brisk pace. The finale will grab your attention and leave you speechless as you reach the final page. Tynion and company are doing great things here. This is a book you shouldn't miss out on.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice.

simonchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By simonchan

This is why DC sales have gone up... because of comic arcs like these... SO GOOD.

Not only is the art and dymanic of the arc reminiscent of the bat family in the late 90s 2000s but everything was on point. Even knowing what is going to happen does not deter from the quality and storytelling from the comic...

AND YOU'VE MADE TIM DRAKE COOL AGAIN... One of the biggest missing components was Tim's tie into Batman. It bothered me so much how pre flashpoint he was the closest to batman (save grayson) Thank you DC...

kudos DC kudos...

Let's see if Action comics and eventually martian manhunter (we want the old martian back!) can be on par...

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm behind in this series. I need to catch up

Carnivius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Carnivius

Batman hugging Spoiler reminded me of him hugging Gotham Girl last week. Maybe that's his new thing.

Good issue though as are many DC Rebirth titles. :)

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Elpizo

So did he really die?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpizo said:

So did he really die?

No, Mr. Oz took him. So he'll be MIA for now.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MrMazz

An overall nice capper to what is one of the easier and soundly structured stories going on in the DCU at the moment. I spoiled myself on what happens before I got around to reading it, spoilers don't matter. And it still hit you right in the gut, the art team has been killing it and just produce some great melodramatic imagery.

Pretty certain I'll be dropping 'Tec until Night of the Monster Men is cleared up and jump back on for Vicitm Syndicate.

Cheap Plug to User Review

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: I know Mr. O took him, but I am confused because Tim says he felt the missiles hit him.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

I really hope Mr Oz isnt Ozymandias.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Mr Oz isnt Ozymandias.

There is speculation that he is Pre-Flashpoint Lex Luthor.

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping this Flash Rebirth #6 is good. I've been waiting to get a peek at what this new villain Godspeed has going on.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@dondave: This is something I'd be cool with.

Helium1s2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This arc was fantastic!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juzacloud: Flash 6 was a great read! Hope you enjoy it.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this chapter. Hit me with the feels hard and Tim was just awesome. I like Batman being more human too. My only complaints are Cassie's whole "being of few words" type crap they have going on and Tim's costume having green in it as opposed to being red and black

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpizo: Well there wasn't any full clarification on that particular last scene of this issue. Which is the only problem that I had with it. So it's still a mystery that's opened up for speculation for now.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By comicace3

DC has been the best Batman comic so far.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Now this gets me excited on DCU's next big event... Bring it on!

Helidokter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpizo: If you really want to know, No, Mister Oz nabbed before he got killed. Everyone just thinks he's dead

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic issue of a fantastic series

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavens to Betsy!!! What another amazing issue. Wow!

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Have to admit what happened caught me off guard considering I can never help not to read the synopsis and check covers for the upcoming issues.

To DC's credit they fooled me good with the preview cover, same with the Teen Titans.

No Caption Provided

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A poor end to what was shaping up to be a great arc, I get the impression that DC wanted to hold off on Tim and his YJ crew but Tynion convinced them to atleast let him write Tim for one arc before they moved ahead with their course correction plans for those characters. The end result was pretty bad, the main story was finished in the early pages that became the preview for this issue, the rest is just Rebirth non sense that I personally cant be bothered to care about. Not really sure if I want to continue with this book if cheap cop outs become the norm and with Tynion it doesn't too far fetched to assume so.

Needlebay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another awesome issue. Detective is my favorite book on the stands.

casper4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such an amazing issue . Definitely one of the best rebirth issues going on right now

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By TDK_1997

A great ending to a great arc. I love what Tynion is doing with the characters and I really want to see what he will do next because he is shaping a pretty great Bat team. The connection between Rebirth and the arc was more than well done and it seemed so natural. However, I am sad because these seven issues have been the only time when I've really liked Tim and I would love to see Tynion write him more.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

On one hand I think it was a good story, on the other I think it was spoiled by the change in the cover. And I somehow get the feeling this was changed after the first draft was approved (where Tim was taken off the board in another fashion.)

Secondly, I am getting a feeling of again being the victim of false marketing... like I wanted to read this book for Tim's sake and a little bit of Batwoman's, and now he's gone from what was supposed to be his feature since Damian is movin into TT. Just like it seemed Lois was to star in Superwoman... only now Phil reveals that was likely never the case despite all the promo focus being on Lois and not Lana (expecting that book to tank like a rock in a pool now).

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great action, stunning art, and strong character development.

Plot pacing issues continue from earlier DC work: talon, RHATO, Eternal; with fewer, bigger WTF no setup twists.

Tim has said nothing about the Rebirth event. Why is he being saved...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was awesome but I really wanted to see more of Tim now, that's a shame.

johnnyyy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

throughout this arc anyone notice that the art sometimes draws characters with only one eye?

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By webheadcomics

Great issue and overall story arc. Marvel should be taking notes

josephnicklo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, the regular cover of this sold out within the first day at my LCS because everyone thought Tim died here...speculation buyers probably buying by the stack in hopes to cash in on eBay. Kinda sucks for readers like me who want the regular covers for their collection. /rant

Oh well, I was able to pick up the variant. Awesome issue though!!!! Was actually happy to see that Tim did NOT in fact die but was merely "taken off the field". It will be interesting to see what happens from here.

That Batman/Spoiler hug at the end trumps the Gotham Girl hug from Batman #6 for sure. Much more emotion there. It kinda sucked that we only got one panel of Cass and Clayface, they definitely feel like tertiary characters here rather than secondary but I suppose it has to be that way.

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...The fans should wait a long time to see Tim again...

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was my favorite comic arc of the year (so far anyway). 11 out of 10.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Tynion IV is a great storyteller. Loved this arc, and "Detective" remains one of my favorite DC books.

knightshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbr999: *Batman standing stoically, while allies are injured*

SoHowAboutNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such a great final can't wait for the next comic.