Detective Comics #936

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This isn't your typical issue of Detective Comics. With this Batman title focusing on his decision to bring in Batwoman and others to prepare against a new threat, we're seeing Batman operate in a different fashion. Their plans to face their new foe took an unforeseen turn when Batman faced the threat of the Colony sooner than expected.

James Tynion IV is keeping us on the edge of our seats. There's a nice air of mystery throughout the issue. Just when you think you have an idea where things are going, the story sharply veers off. The pacing feels like the events are unfolding faster than you would expect. This shows that Tynion isn't messing around. There's no need to drag things out, and we can assume he has a nice master plan in mind for this title.

When titles contain several characters, there can be a muddled or jumbled feeling. That isn't the case here. Batwoman is taking over the main focus with Batman missing. The small moments we see with Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, or Clayface clearly shows who they are and where they fit in here.

Alvaro Martinez's pencils are phenomenal. With Raul Fernandez's inks and Brad Anderson's colors, each page is a spectacle to behold. Whether it's Kate trying to have a simple conversation with Renee Montoya or Cassandra Cain taking on a horde of enemies, everything looks so crisp and clear. This is an issue I found myself looking back over after reading to make sure I didn't miss out on anything with the art.

Each issue of Detective Comics has been a fantastic read with the Rebirth relaunch. James Tynion IV is shaking things up for Batman and his allies and keeping readers on their toes. With juicy twists and turns and a fast pace, you can't be sure what to expect. The art team of Alvaro Martinez, Raul Fernandez, and Brad Anderson will put you in awe. What makes reading Detective Comics even better is the fact we get it twice a month. It's a tough wait between the issues, and as soon as you finish, you'll be hungry for the next installment. I have to say, I love this book.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Did not expect to enjoy this comic so much, it's one of the nicest surprises about the Rebirth line. Love it's use of Batman, he's not really there but he hangs over effecting everything. And this book is essentially the Batwoman and friends book for this arch at least.

Cheap Plug to user review

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Loved this issue once again! This is such a strong series so far.

The twist was kind of easy to predict, honestly, but on the whole I like that it's being revealed now since it was so simple. I really like how it meshes with previous stories almost perfectly.

We don't get much of every character here (mostly Tim and Kate), but everyone's still written very well, as I've come to expect from Tynion in this book by now. The arc he's put Kate on for this storyline is great, and just think: Kate's not even his favorite character. If things are this good right now, how much better is it going to be when he gets to a Tim-centric story? I'm a bit dizzy just thinking about it.

Three for three!

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Originally I wasn't going to pick this series up since I wasn't really invested or had any pior knowledge to most of the character. I'm really glad I did. The team dynamics between the characters has been fantastic!

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By apokos7

This storyline keeps going strong. Keep it up.

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By batarangbamz

This is the gift that Snyder left us that we never knew we wanted. It's clear Tynion IV learned a ton from doing his Batman back ups and being involved with both Eternal series. I love what King is doing at Vertigo but I'm waiting for his Gotham story to hit its stride, nice to have James doing the good work until then.

staphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was good

FreedomZebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Now I just need to get part 2 and I'll be completely caught up. Really regret not getting into Detective when it started. Better than the main Batman title so far.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Tynion has been on a fire hire, much to my own astonishment. Oh and what about Nightwing Rebirth 1 review CV?

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was better than the last chapter, but Tynion still is not on the level of Snyder or for that matter King

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba89dccd4593
deactivated-5ba89dccd4593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Rebirth series so far. Love the art and the story.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By apokos7

@entropy_aegis said:

Oh and what about Nightwing Rebirth 1 review CV?

Plus Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth #1 for that matter. It's sad because every Rebirth title from June got a review at least for its first chapter and now Hal and Dick get left out. They should have prioritized either of those two over the Detective Comics review no matter how good the issue was but it's Batman so no surprises here.

Still, I hope the actual first issues get reviewed in two weeks. Especially Hal's book has been amazing in both writing and art (Nightwing's writing was great too but the art not so much).

ndisnyjj55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Rebirth series so far.

Avatar image for rustyshackleford
RustyShackleford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so glad that I decided to get this rebirth series. It's the best I've seen at DC during rebirth. Loving it!

LeonardoTMNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say enough about this. Another great issue.

OptimucCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably my favorite Rebirth series so far, and everything has been fantastic except for a few (Justice League).

Possibly really dumb question but it's in regards to Snyder's run on Batman. When Bruce used the machine in the Batcave to kickstart his mind and "remember" how to mean Batman, does he remember all his past experiences? I thought he was a new Batman at that point but he remembers all the Robins.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

DC is killllingg iiittttt

~MiB

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By UltimatePower6

I loved this issue. This and Action Comics have been pulling home runs to my surprise. I feel each issue of Detective Comics gets better and better, and I'm even excited even more than I ever thought I could get.

castlemania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't going to get this originally it seemed like an odd team with boring premise...I was wrong, very wrong. I VERY happy I decided to pick it up, this comic had been fantastic

castlemania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't going to get this originally it seemed like an odd team with boring premise...I was wrong, very wrong. I VERY happy I decided to pick it up, this comic has been fantastic

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pure gold

footix_a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loving it! Batwoman is such a badass, yet her conversation with Renee was so humane and vulnerable. Amazing!

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comic is horrible. It accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comic is horrible. It accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I'm interested to hear why you think so. What's so bad, exactly?

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedicamon: I'm still not sure what you mean by nothing moving forward or what's gimmicky about it.

Avatar image for comicbufftoughstuff
comicbufftoughstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Honestly surprised people like this book so much. I didn't enjoy it. This series has been the biggest letdown from Rebirth for me. I was really excited about the concept, but it failed to meet my expectations.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Didn't put this on my pull list but so far I have bought all three copies from the pile and man I can't keep myself from it. I am really enjoying this story a lot more than I thought I would. I also enjoyed the art for this issue and I have to say that going back to the original numbering really gives it that extra something.

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicbufftoughstuff: Could you elaborate on what you didn't like? I'm interested to hear a conflicting opinion. What where you expecting?

The reason I love it is because it's a group of my favorite characters working together in a situation that none of them have really ever been in, which in the long run sounds like it will push them all to their limits and offer tremendous opportunities for growth, which I find terribly exciting. A good story, fantastic art, and an interesting (if admittedly predictable) antagonist.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it this morning. Followed by Action Comics. Their are so many great stories going in the DC Books right now and this is no exception. My favorite part aside from the captivating read is the way the American Flag is being incorporated into some of the art work. I also like the way Tynion explores Bat Woman's sexuality with out any shock factor whatsoever. Instead of waving a flag screaming she is gay and that's what this book is mainly about he is going right ahead with character development. Character development is one of the reasons I enjoy comics. This is another Strong Rebirth Title!

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caivu: He is probably employed by Marvel! So if I was employed by Marvel I wouldn't like this book either!

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best Rebirth series so far. Love the art and the story.

Yes, the best serie.

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
TheCapedDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art and story are both beyond great. Wish it keeps going as good as it is.