• 108 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Many of us will agree that Ryan Reynolds did a solid job as Wade Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but then the script decided to take some drastic departures from the source material and essentially transformed him into the movie's boss battle character. Needless to say, it made some passionate fans of the Merc with a Mouth want to flip a table or wipe the experience from their memory. It was quite a bummer, but despite the very negative experience, Wade Wilson fans still managed to hold onto hope for a solo Deadpool movie.

We've been given little signs of progress here and there, too. Over the years, a script has leaked (it's allegedly good but I haven't read it), a director was named, Reynolds continues to say he'd be all for the project, X-Force now has a potential future with Fox, and now, some test footage has hit the web. The footage may be brief but it managed to capture the character's tone incredibly well. It was action-packed and creatively executed, had Wade breaking the fourth wall, and managed to show a version of Marvel character that's both lovable and deadly. Basically, it's yet another bit of hope that has fans going "Cool, now WHERE'S THE MOVIE?!" Well, with Fox's X-Men cinematic universe now on a whole new path (see the very awesome X-Men: Days of Future Pastfor more details), we think one would totally work and needs to happen.

No Caption Provided

"I think it would be awesome, but they'll never make it because a Deadpool movie needs to be rated R and the studio won't do that." It's true studios tend to shy away from the rating because it reduces the range of people that can purchase a ticket. Seeing as comic book movies are hugely popular now, it's understandable they'd want to get as many butts in the seats as possible when they release a new comic book movie. However, the possibility of rated R Deadpool movie still exists. This weekend, Lucy, a rated R action movie starring Scarlett Johansson, took the top spot at the box office (taking down the epic Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) and has already earned a profit. Plus, the 1998 comic book movie Blade was heavy on violence and also made a profit. Sure, we can cite some movies that weren't a success, but, to me, that's kind of like saying "a female lead movie won't work... just look atElektra and Catwoman!" No, those didn't work because they're not good movies and other R movies weren't marketed properly (Dredd 3D, Punisher: War Zone). If you're taking a risk with a higher rating, you need to prove to the audience that thisisn't going to be just another generic shoot 'em up movie and bad memories with the character from previous films aren't an issue. With Deadpool, they have the chance to capitalize on a massive crowd that is absolutely able to buy a ticket. The Merc with a Mouth is bigger than ever (the dude has so many limited series on the horizon) and he's become even more recognizable thanks to appearances in video games and animated shows/movies. This is something X-Men writer/producer Simon Kinberg obviously recognizes, too. He previously told Collider, "I think you’ve gotta do a hard-R, darker movie and he is the perfect character to do it with.

While it's a different genre, it is worth noting that Fox has been okay with pushing out rated R projects in the past (Prometheus). We all get they're a business and they need to focus on making a profit, but the solution is simple: build a good movie, market it well, and we'll happily buy a ticket at least once. There's a huge amount of fans craving an action-packed, hilarious and fun Deadpool movie and it's a premise that can pull in non-comic book fans, too. Now, Fox has the opportunity to give us one. If the concern is the rating, counter that by being confident in your product and market it properly. Let everyone know this will be the most chaotic and hilarious action movie they'll see all year and that's sure to put it on radars.

No Caption Provided

Something like this is all about the right people behind the scenes making the right case for it. So, let's hope there's some true Deadpool fans that are really pushing to make sure we get a film that's every bit as unrestrained and graphic as it should be. We know Reynolds and Kinberg say it should be R, so let's hope they aren't alone in that battle. That said, the amount of content movies can get away with nowadays in a PG-13 movie is pretty shocking. I mean, the test footage that hit the web has a guy getting decapitated but, because of the way it's presented, it would totally fall under a PG-13 rating. We've seen much worse on TV shows, haven't we? They can show a considerable amount of violence and even use 4-letter words a handful of times (X-Men: First Class made proper use of this) with a PG-13 rating. Plus, it then holds the potential for a director's cut on Blu-ray.

Even if an eventual Deadpool movie is rated PG-13, we shouldn't automatically assume it'll be devoid of shocking action and crude humor because they really can get away with a lot. Obviously, many of us would prefer R, but as long as they get the essence of the character right, they can still make it a completely memorable and thrilling ride that's packed with entertaining fights and comedy. But again, let's hope the people pushing this movie realize that a large amount of viewers will see a rated R Deadpool movie as long as it looks promising and is marketed to reel in other fans craving some crazy action and an overall fun time at the movies. Yes, the X-Men movies have their bits of levity, but for most part, they're establishing a far more serious atmosphere as they present so much worldbuilding and a handful of gripping character dynamics. A Deadpool solo would give them a chance to really go all out, embrace some over-the-top madness and simply have a good time giving audiences exactly what they want from Wade.

No Caption Provided

With the commendable quality of X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine, and X-Men: Days of Future Past, it's more than clear Fox is righting its wrongs with the franchise and giving us a clean slate as they move forward. Seeing as the whole Three Mile Island incident takes with "Deadpool" place after Nixon's time in office (again, see X-Men:DoFP), it feels safe to assume they could easily present us with an all-new -- and more appropriate -- version of Wade in the X-Men cinematic universe. Wade Wilson isn't all jokes and sword slashing, either. There's plenty of potential with character depth (currently, Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn have handled this exceptionally well) and the film's writers could have a complete riot figuring out how the Merc with a Mouth would interact with others. This new X-Men universe has done a brilliant job presenting compelling characters (McAvoy and Fassbender immediately come to mind), and, while there's plenty of opportunities to develop Wade as a person, he could also be there to make sure viewers have a smile on their face every now and then, too.

Deadpool's immensely popular and the response to that released footage has been overwhelmingly positive. Considering the tone of that brief clip, a Deadpool solo absolutely has the potential to be a total blast and, as long as it's advertised properly, you can bet flocks of people will show up to see Wade Wilson thrown into all kinds of violent, comedic, and crazy scenarios. So, what are we waiting for? It's time to make this happen, Fox.

Do you think a Deadpool movie's a good idea? Share your thoughts with the world below. Gregg wants to one day say "a ticket for Deadpool, please" at his local movie theater. If you share his passion for the Merc with a Mouth, he'd totally appreciate a follow on twitter.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Here's hoping this works as well as your Deathstroke article.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

The test footage is awesome! Ryan Reynolds really is great for the role. Hope FOX gets the hint that fans want more of this!

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What noj said

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'd watch it. Blade is absolute proof you can have a successful R rated comic movie so long as the casting is good and story is solid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Personally I don't think a Deadpool movie has to be rated R.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@noj said:

The test footage is awesome! Ryan Reynolds really is great for the role. Hope FOX gets the hint that fans want more of this!

same here bro.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nice read and I agree you can get away with a lot of stuff in PG-13 nowadays, but I'd prefer R

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Nice read and I agree you can get away with a lot of stuff in PG-13 nowadays, but I'd prefer R

I see the movie being somewhat like Kick-Ass. I know neither of them are alike, but there both super dark comedies.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By AllStarSuperman  Online

I NEED A LINK

Nevermind I found it

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the video followed the leaked script if i remember correctly, so i guess the script was legit.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

@noj said:

This. Is a True story. Ryan Reynolds rocked it as Deadpool, but Fox messed him up in X-Men Origins Wolverine. So obviously, Fox needs to get him back again, and do something like the test footage!

Lets make it happen FOX!

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool was one of the first Comic Books I read but soon after I stopped reading him because I was tired of him with that being said I enjoy Deadpool in small amounts,but man I loved this!!!

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

How the heck did you get such clean quality pictures of this thing?

The only versions I've seen were so bad in quality I couldn't even see what was on the paper he was holding?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This clip was perfect. It completely sums up just how badass and funny Wade can be. I'm completely sold on Ryan playing the part also. Make this movie happen Fox!

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I as well. I'm just sitting here, crossing my fingers, hoping that 20th Century Fox will read Katzman's article just like DC read his last one ;D

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they push through with this movie :(

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: go on YouTube and search dead pool leaked test footage

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, but Lucy and Blade aren't really accurate bases for comparison because they were both relatively low-budget (for a studio action movie) productions. Each cost around $40 mill, which means the threshold for financial success was a lot lower than it would be for a Deadpool movie, which would likely be a lot more expensive.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Deadpool is Deadpool in this.
If you dont like it,you're not into Deadpool.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can't really see this happening until Marvel has bled all of it's mainstream material completely dry... so, pretty soon i guess.

ftw201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ftw201

http://vimeo.com/102076856

You are welcome.

I really really hate Ryan Reynolds as an actor, but as deadpool I couldn't think of anyone better. I hope this goes into production!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By danhimself

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Gimme. Gimme.Gimme. I want it so badly. Please FOX!!!! Gimme the 'Pool!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long has this movie been in the works for?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested anymore. Played the game

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not the biggest Deadpool fan, but I really enjoyed this leaked footage.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

holy that quality is insane lol compared to the others

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just make the movie already. And make a Deathstroke movie too while you're at it.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Loved the footage, please let Fox green light this movie !

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#31  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as its not that x men origins ish we got

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My son is a big Deadpool fan and even he was impressed. We watched the video and were both smiling...

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Costume is better that all the Snyder ones put together.

I want to have a 3some with Ryan Reynolds and that costume and i am an heterosexual man.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

Fox actually released this version themselves after the leak

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@kalorama said:

Sorry, but Lucy and Blade aren't really accurate bases for comparison because they were both relatively low-budget (for a studio action movie) productions. Each cost around $40 mill, which means the threshold for financial success was a lot lower than it would be for a Deadpool movie, which would likely be a lot more expensive.

Certainly true, but I'd say it's also worth nothing that neither had a large pre-existing fanbase when they were released (sure, there are Blade fans, but he wasn't one of Marvel's biggest characters and CBMs weren't a big deal). For Lucy to have a good opening after audiences already had a number of blockbusters come out and it opened against a PG-13 action movie w/ Dwayne Johnson is pretty impressive, I'd say. If eventually released, I imagine they'd attempt to capitalize on Days of Future Past's success by drawing a parallel or two, as well. Still, a good point.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@lone_wolf_and_cub: True. Plus this will be the perfect way to revive his career after starring in the turds known as Green Lantern and RIPD.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really hope Marvel moves ahead with this. The only thing that's got me worried is his whole breaking the fourth wall shtick.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

That quality makes everything better

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Love the footage and Reynolds is still a great choice for Wade.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather watch a Deadpool movie over a Wolverine and X-men movie the way Fox normally makes them..

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

They said the studio(Blur) did not Fox

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Deadpool deserves a movie, plain and simple. He deserves a movie, but he still hasn't had one yet. Basically he's basically Marvel's Wonder Woman. (Wow...never thought I'd say that sentence)

Classic Wade, in all his hysterical hijinks! It would be a lot cooler if it wasn't CGI, but it is test footage, right?

...And, for the record, "The Wolverine" sucked.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: Yeah I could never tell what he drew on the picture lol

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By flameboy298

@amazingwebhead: c'mon it still looks amazing though

I downloaded the 1080p and it looks glorious!

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#46  Edited By The Lobster

Fox's excuse for the lack of a Deadpool movie currently was.......

"We don't want to over-saturate the market with comic book movies."

Which to me, means that they might as well be saying.....

"We don't care about Deadpool. We want more money, so we're going to focus on more Wolverine movies and X-men team movies. We know those will always make big bucks. Deadpool will get his chance when we run out of those....maybe...."

That being said, I wouldn't actually mind a movie done completely in this animated style. It'd be kinda cool. I mean, I've always said that more directors need to be making movies like those Arkham City promotional videos. The realist design of the characters almost fools the viewer into thinking that characters are live action, while the animation allows a lot more freedom to pull off more ridiculous camera work and basically bring the directors vision 100% onto the screen.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the Kick-Ass movies were financially successful, and since there is a sequel I'm assuming it was, I would think a good R rated Deadpool movie would be quite successful. Personally, I'd rather see a good Uncanny X-Force movie first though. That could also serve as a good introduction to Deadpool as well for the larger movie going audience that may have never heard of him.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kalorama

@k4tzm4n said:

@kalorama said:

Certainly true, but I'd say it's also worth nothing that neither had a large pre-existing fanbase when they were released (sure, there are Blade fans, but he wasn't one of Marvel's biggest characters and CBMs weren't a big deal). For Lucy to have a good opening after audiences already had a number of blockbusters come out and it opened against a PG-13 action movie w/ Dwayne Johnson is pretty impressive, I'd say. If eventually released, I imagine they'd attempt to capitalize on Days of Future Past's success by drawing a parallel or two, as well. Still, a good point.

For the purposes of the discussion re: Deadpool, I don't really think that is worth noting because it really has little to do with predicting Deadpool's chances of success. We've seen movies featuring characters with name recognition do well and we've seen them bomb. Same with unknown characters. There's really no definitive predictive value to be found there.

Lucy's opening was solid but hardly record-breaking, or even esp. noteworthy. It was a good weekend. It happens, but it's hardly big news. The only reason people are making a deal of it is because the movie only cost $40 mill to make. (Plus, it was opening weekend; let's see how big the drop off is next weekend.) So unless they make a $40 mill Deadpool movie (they won't) then Lucy is pretty much irrelevant to the possibilities for Deadpool.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan Reynolds was born to play Deadpool.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

Ryan Reynolds was born to play Deadpool.

THIS. He was an ok Green Lantern, but never really fit.He completely owns Deadpool tho