Now, What Should I Read?

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello viners,

I started reading comics a little over a year ago and I have read quite a bit, both before and after the New 52. However, with the introduction of DCYou and a string of new titles, I am not sure what to read. I only read tpbs so when these new runs are collected, what do you recommend that I should read? In addition to your suggestion, please give a simple reason as to why that title deserves being read. Thanks and happy posting!

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well, per usual on these things, we must ask - what kind of stuff do you like? What things do you prefer? etc etc

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_cheesesteak: I will read anything. Right now I am partial to Batman, Flash, and Earth 2. I have read Johns's entire GL run, but I am hesitant to read past Wrath. The way I see it, his run can be self contained. I intend to read Darkseid War despite not enjoying Johns's JL run. So, any suggestions from any title is welcome. Thanks!

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Marvel.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

they just started printing the pre52 Robin trades...one is out and another is coming out soon and they collect the Tim Drake Robin mini's and I think the start of his ongoing....all are great reads

I also really loved the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series written by Bryan Q. Miller and the Red Robin series written by Chris Yost and later by Fabian Nicieza

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: I can't get into Marvel. I'm too far established in DC :D

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Thanks for the suggestion! What I meant was, should I continue reading the titles that I am already reading and if not, why. I know that DCYou affects titles from issue 41 onward and I know there has been some significant change to certain characters (Superman=Truth; Batman=MechaGordon; Green Lantern=Renegade). I want to know if I should continue to read these titles or if the changes are too drastic.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ok, well... In general, I like almost any Bats title - from the well-written Grayson, Gotham Academy, etc to the cheesy RH/A and B&R:Eternal (which is a weekly, so trade-waiting may be burdensome). I also like more indie style (both art and story) titles of the DCYou like Dr. Fate and Prez (a mini series). Martian Manhunter may be my favorite title overall. Good, higher concept superhero stuff.

I'd also recommend Constantine: Hellblazer and Midnighter (if he isn't already considered part of the Batman line like I referenced above. Throw in Black Canary too), though I don't read them, I just think they should be supported. =D I guess even by trade-waiters.

gothamknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gothamknight

I've been reading Snyder's Batman from day 1 and it's great so you shouldn't drop it.

In terms of Gordon becoming Batman it's due to something that happens at the end of end game so it's not for nothing and if you didn't know Bruce will be Batman again in issue 50 but his relationship with Gordon will be different due to this story so you should definitely read it cause not only will it affect everything moving foreword, it's a good arc that adds more to the Batman universe so why not read it ? because it's different ? Batman wouldn't be the Juggernaut franchise that it is if it played it safe.

Everything else ? I don't read anything else but I keep up with news and fans' opinions so this is based on what I've read :

Detective comics & Justice League : hit or miss.

Superman : bad

Action Comics : Good overall.

Wonder Woman : Went downhill after Azzarello's run.

Green Lantern & Aquaman : hit or miss after Johns' run.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Outside_85

If you only want newish stuff from post-Flashpoint:

• Wonder Woman, by Brian Azzarello, selfcontained story about the Amazing Amazon as she deals with Olympus getting a little too close to home.
  • Dial H, by China Meville, it's an utterly unique tale about a looser that gains random powers by using an old phone dial.
  • Action Comics, by Grant Morrison, your head might explode with this early day Superman, but like everything Morrison it's far better when collected.

If we could entice you to read older stuff:

• All-Star Superman, by Grant Morrison, you dont need to know anything before reading this, by many considered the definitive Superman story.
  • The collected New Teen Titans run by Wolfman/Perez; aging, but worth the read if you care to know why Teen Titans are still around today.
  • Legion of Superheroes; Great Darkness Sage; old-ish but a very good buy if you want a look at an epic tale from before epic-tales were the norm in comics. (though it has to be said it is quite a heavy read if you feel you need to know everything to enjoy it)

What I wouldn't recommend due to your terms would be:

• Grant Morrisons Batman-run, because it's very continuity heavy and Morrison has a knack of featuring really old stuff in his books.
  • Any of the Crisis', due to them relying massively on contiuity simply to exist... the most limited is (oddly) Morrisons Final Crisis, which is more of a colossal event than a continuity shakeup like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis.
tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

If you only want newish stuff from post-Flashpoint:

• Wonder Woman, by Brian Azzarello, selfcontained story about the Amazing Amazon as she deals with Olympus getting a little too close to home.
  • Dial H, by China Meville, it's an utterly unique tale about a looser that gains random powers by using an old phone dial.
  • Action Comics, by Grant Morrison, your head might explode with this early day Superman, but like everything Morrison it's far better when collected.

If we could entice you to read older stuff:

• All-Star Superman, by Grant Morrison, you dont need to know anything before reading this, by many considered the definitive Superman story.
  • The collected New Teen Titans run by Wolfman/Perez; aging, but worth the read if you care to know why Teen Titans are still around today.
  • Legion of Superheroes; Great Darkness Sage; old-ish but a very good buy if you want a look at an epic tale from before epic-tales were the norm in comics. (though it has to be said it is quite a heavy read if you feel you need to know everything to enjoy it)

What I wouldn't recommend due to your terms would be:

• Grant Morrisons Batman-run, because it's very continuity heavy and Morrison has a knack of featuring really old stuff in his books.
  • Any of the Crisis', due to them relying massively on contiuity simply to exist... the most limited is (oddly) Morrisons Final Crisis, which is more of a colossal event than a continuity shakeup like Crisis on Infinite Earths and Infinite Crisis.

I only wanted recommendations for post-convergence since I have read a lot of pre-flashpoint stuff. I enjoyed All-Star Superman, however, I need to read it again. I have not read New Teen Titans, though I hear it is quite good. I will read WW soon. I honestly don't know if I will read Action Comics, I heard it isn't very good. The Great Darkness Saga partially inspired Meltzer when he did Identity Crisis so I'll read it eventually. I LOVED Morrison's Batman run. I had no trouble reading it; he is my favorite author--simply amazing. I have read every crisis (including Flashpoint because it is a Crisis) except Crisis on Infinite Earths. I heard the dialogue is really cheesy and 80s... Johns does a nice job of summarizing that Crisis and a quick wiki read fills in any gaps. Thanks for your recommendations though. I will keep them in mind.

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been reading Snyder's Batman from day 1 and it's great so you shouldn't drop it.

In terms of Gordon becoming Batman it's due to something that happens at the end of end game so it's not for nothing and if you didn't know Bruce will be Batman again in issue 50 but his relationship with Gordon will be different due to this story so you should definitely read it cause not only will it affect everything moving foreword, it's a good arc that adds more to the Batman universe so why not read it ? because it's different ? Batman wouldn't be the Juggernaut franchise that it is if it played it safe.

Everything else ? I don't read anything else but I keep up with news and fans' opinions so this is based on what I've read :

Detective comics & Justice League : hit or miss.

Superman : bad

Action Comics : Good overall.

Wonder Woman : Went downhill after Azzarello's run.

Green Lantern & Aquaman : hit or miss after Johns' run.

I am happy to hear that Batman continues to please after Bruce's death. I know how he died in Endgame, I really look forward to reading that when the tpb is released in March. I do not care for Detective Comics or JL. I heard DC becomes readable when Daniel leaves; love his art (especially Batman RIP), but not his writing. I HATE Johns writing in JL. I don't know what the deal is. I generally like all his stuff. I LOVED his GL run. Amazing in scope and value to the mythos; however, I think, at times, the dialogue became a little cheesy and simplistic in Sinestro Corps War. Out of his run, I have to say Green Lantern: The Revenge of Black Hand is probably my favorite story. I thought the Indigo Tribe was intriguing as hell. Wrath I hated, especially in trade form. It was all build up then First Lantern is defeated too easily. However, I loved the ending. It makes Johns's run self-contained; you don't need to continue and you have a nice ending. Superman I have heard is bad, not a big reader of him anyways. Action Comics I heard sucked after Morrison left so... Wonder Woman I will probably only read Azzarello's run. Aquaman was terrific, so I heard. I will check it out. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.