Batman Beyond Comic Continuity

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I watched Batman Beyond from start to finish over the summer. I like Terry as a character. Since I prefer reading comics to other comic-related media, I decided to check out Batman Beyond comics. Truth is, I'm a bit confused about what to read. I intend to read the other Batman Beyond books eventually, but I think it'd be good to read the stuff that is (at least in theory) current canon in the post-Flashpoint universe. I know Terry's in Future's End, but I skipped that event really (besides a couple of the one-shots that tied to the comics in my pull list at the time). Regardless of your opinions of Future's End, I want to read it, but which Batman Beyond comics are part of that continuity? I know there's a currently ongoing post-Rebirth series, but I'll get to that once I've finished the stuff leading up to it. There's a 2015 series which presumably comes right out of Future's End. I know there are other Batman Beyond books (from a glance at Comixology) that were published post-Flashpoint, but I'm not sure if they're the same continuity. Any ideas?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I watched Batman Beyond from start to finish over the summer. I like Terry as a character. Since I prefer reading comics to other comic-related media, I decided to check out Batman Beyond comics. Truth is, I'm a bit confused about what to read. I intend to read the other Batman Beyond books eventually, but I think it'd be good to read the stuff that is (at least in theory) current canon in the post-Flashpoint universe. I know Terry's in Future's End, but I skipped that event really (besides a couple of the one-shots that tied to the comics in my pull list at the time). Regardless of your opinions of Future's End, I want to read it, but which Batman Beyond comics are part of that continuity? I know there's a currently ongoing post-Rebirth series, but I'll get to that once I've finished the stuff leading up to it. There's a 2015 series which presumably comes right out of Future's End. I know there are other Batman Beyond books (from a glance at Comixology) that were published post-Flashpoint, but I'm not sure if they're the same continuity. Any ideas?

Batman Beyond 2.0 is the only other book, I can think of. That one follows Terry from the animated series. They, along with Justice League: Beyond (or 2.0, I don't remember) tell the story of the future of the DCaU.

The most recent series follow Tim Drake and Terry, following Futures' End.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaied

Batman Beyond (1999-2001, 2010, 2011), Batman Beyond Unlimited (2012), and Batman Beyond 2.0 (2013) follow DCAU Terry. Basically, any issue made after 2014 is unrelated to the DCAU/Batman Beyond cartoon.

Now, if you want to experience Terry in the mainstream DC universe then read the 2015 and Rebirth series'.

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers guys :-)

I'll start with the 2015-onwards stuff and then look at the older DCAU stuff when I've got a bit more time.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jb681131

@mattydavehalpeo: Well:

What is Batman Beyond:

• It's a TV series from 1999 to 2001
  • It's direct to video movie - Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker in 2000
  • It's a spin-off serie - The Zeta Project from 2001 to 2002
  • It's in the future but on the same Earth as Batman: The Animated Serie
  • It's a bunch of comics

To go into details about the comics:

Direct Tie-ins to the TV serie:

1. Batman Beyond (vol.1) - 6 issues - published in 1999
  2. Batman Beyond (vol.2) - 24 issues - published from 1999 to 2001
  3. Superman Adventures #64 - 1 story about time travel and a Brainiac from the future
  4. Batman Beyond (vol.2): Return of the Joker - comics adaptation of the Batman Beyond movie - published in 2001

Batman Beyond coming into the main continuity:

1. Batman/Superman #22 -
  2. Countdown to Final Crisis #21 - 2007
  3. Justice League of America #43 - 2010
  4. Batman (vol.1) #700 - 2010

Batman Beyond in the pos-crisis continuity:

1. Batman Beyond (vol.3) - 6 issues - 2010-2011
  2. Batman Beyon: 100 page spectacular - 2011
  3. Batman Beyond (vol.4) - 8 issues + #0 - 2011

Batman Beyond in the new 52:

1. Batman Beyond digital - 29 issues
  2. Batman Beyond Ulimited - 18 issues - 2012-2013 - prints: Batman Beyond digital, Justice League Beyond digital, Superman Beyond digital - continuies the Batman Beyond (vol.4) unresolved plots
  3. Batman Beyond 2.0 - 40 digital issues
  4. Batman Beyond Univers - 18 issues - 2013-2015 - prints: Batman Beyond digital 2.0 and Justice League Beyond digital 2.0
  5. Batman Beyond (vol.5) - 16 issues - 2015-2016

Batman Beyond Rebirth:

1. Batman Beyond: Rebirth - 1 issue - 2016
  2. Batman Beyond (vol.6) - upcoming

Concerning Collected editions

TV tie-ins:

1. Batman Beyond (collected) - Batman Beyond (vol.1)
  2. DC Comics Presents Batman Beyond - Batman Beyond (vol.2) #13-14, 21-22
  3. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker: The Official Comics Adaptation

Post-crisis and New 52:

1. Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond - Batman Beyond (vol.3)
  2. Batman Beyond: Industrial Revolution - Batman Beyond (vol.4)
  3. Batman Beyond: 10,000 Clown - Batman Beyond Ulimited #1-13
  4. Batman Beyond: Batgirl Beyond - Batman Beyond digital #19-28
  5. Batman Beyond 2.0: Rewired - Batman Beyond Univers #1-8
  6. Batman Beyond 2.0: Justice Lords Beyond - Batman Beyond Univers #9-12
  7. Batman Beyond 2.0: Mark of the Phantasm - Batman Beyond Univers #13-16
  8. Batman Beyond: Brave New World - Batman Beyond (vol.5) #1-6 + Convergence: Batman and the Outsiders #2
  9. Batman Beyond: City of Yesterday - Batman Beyon (vol.5) #7-11
  10. Batman Beyond: Marked Sould - Batman Beyond (vol.5) #13-16

What to read

Start With Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond and go on !