2 years on, I'm thankful to the new 52 because...

• 80 results
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@gator4eva: Yup. I've been loving Batman, Animal Man and Swamp Thing since issue #1. And have come around to other titles. But I wouldn't say I've enjoyed the New 52. Any of these stories could have been told with in the confines of the pre existing DCU.

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@longbowhunter: True. I could come up with a defense for the new 52 but there isn't really a point in trying to convince you or anyone else to start liking something. It's all about opinions and what each person likes. So i'll just leave it at that.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Animal Man finally getting a new series.

Doesn't really make up for all the mistakes they've made though, but I don't really care by now, DC was going down the crapper long before the N52. And it's still heading that way, it's like watching a dumb dog bumping against a wall over and over again expecting to get to the other side, kinda sad but one can't help but giggle a little bit.

Avatar image for nightcrawler358
NightCrawler358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and quite honestly refreshing the world's interest in comic books.

Amaryllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ViperKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@amaryllis: Due to the New 52, I've read events like Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and Infinite Crisis. I do have a problem with the New 52 though. The pre-Flashpoint universe had decades of history for several characters including Wally West, Donna Troy, and others. However, the numbering system is easy to access for comic readers. I'm liking the New 52 more every month, especially since it actually gave Aquaman, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing a solid series.

Amaryllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viperking: See that's weird because the lack of all of that history and being mired in it and having to follow that history despite wanting to do something new is exactly why I like the new 52. It's a whole new universe and instead of all the stuff we're used to we get to see whole new paths taken by characters and whole new stories.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@veshark said:

.....Aquaman finally has a solid solo series save for the Peter David one

And...yeah, that's it.

This.

And Demon Knights...oh wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@veshark said:

.....Aquaman finally has a solid solo series save for the Peter David one

And...yeah, that's it.

This

SassySasquatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that they are giving some minor characters the spotlight like Swamp Thing and Animal Man! They made Aquaman awesome as well. It also introduced a lot of new readers to the DCU. And I originally thought I would hate Cyborg in the JL but I love the role he plays and that MMH is in the JLA now.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By godzilla44

for making aquaman a bad ass

falcoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the stories for New 52 but they didn't need a big re-boot, being new to comics I don't know loads about a lot of the characters but I think I know more than the average new guy so Flashpoint sort of threw all this up in the air so I don't know whether what I know is new continuity or old and I still end up going back to old series to find out more about certain characters backs story. Now this is me though and I get paranoid about everything and often think that something someone says is crucial to a storyline rather than a quick reference which is just generic conversation.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@falcoso said:

I like the stories for New 52 but they didn't need a big re-boot, being new to comics I don't know loads about a lot of the characters but I think I know more than the average new guy so Flashpoint sort of threw all this up in the air so I don't know whether what I know is new continuity or old and I still end up going back to old series to find out more about certain characters backs story. Now this is me though and I get paranoid about everything and often think that something someone says is crucial to a storyline rather than a quick reference which is just generic conversation.

Most of the time you don't HAVE to know in detail what happened, and a rough understanding is in most cases, depending on the writer, good enough.

Though I encourage you to read older stories as well, because comics reading comics is always awesome.

tquinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in all fairness I'm reading more DC books now then I was pre new 52 so I guess they're doing something right

falcoso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With me its a lack of money which is stopping me from reading loads :/

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By greenteaforme

I enjoy the New 52 a lot, actually. But.

I do not enjoy it as a main continuity. I would have preferred that it came out as following five years each in some of the 51 different realities after Infinite Crisis.

The bright side of this would be that we get our current New 52 story lines, but also upon their completion we'd also get to look into some of our favorite characters from Earth-Two and their new lives.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I guess it does let you see whose opinions one should ignore.

"Jeff Lemire has written the best Animal Man series ever!" Ignore.

"Snyder's Swamp Thing is incredible. No one has ever written a better Swamp Thing." Ignore.

So on and so forth.

That's helpful, at least.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Saren

Wonder Woman's series is worth reading now.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....for taking a sh*t on the DC universe, No really, i am SOOOO happy.

For giving me Continuity headaches.....and editorial headaches.....and migraines.

lol. And a sh*t load of Batman comics (I'm about to puke).

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

....for taking a sh*t on the DC universe, No really, i am SOOOO happy.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

For giving me Continuity headaches.....and editorial headaches.....and migraines.

lol. And a sh*t load of Batman comics (I'm about to puke).

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All joking aside I am grateful for them finally making everyone realize how awesome Aquaman really is (I used to be the only one) same thing for what they did with Shazam making him more popular now and finally giving Superman the recognition he deserves and not just crapping out Batman towards us. Plus Greg Pak coming to DC and Jim Lee on Justice League and a Superman book.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

All joking aside I am grateful for them finally making everyone realize how awesome Aquaman really is (I used to be the only one) same thing for what they did with Shazam making him more popular now and finally giving Superman the recognition he deserves and not just crapping out Batman towards us. Plus Greg Pak coming to DC and Jim Lee on Justice League and a Superman book.

Yes, you were the only person in the world who found Aquaman cool (rolls eyes)

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I was thankful for The Batwing, but since David has been cast aside unceremoniously after never reaching his full potential what I will say now is that I am thankful to hear about the work that has been done on Aquaman and Flash and that I am very keen to read in trade.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could have achieved the same effect with resetting every title to number one and retcons of certain characters origins and redesighned or tweeked the looks of some characters. DC could have made the Earth One graphic novels a priority and spawned a new reader friendly monthly universe out of them featuring a very accesible continuity in hard cover and trade published hand and hand with the monthlies.

Moores Swamp thing is far better than Snyders. Moores run is one of the greatest runs in the history of the medium.

Lemires Animal Man is not as good as Morrisons. Same reason as stated reguarding Swamp Thing. I do think it is very good and I am a big fan of Lemire.

Batmans tech has been upgraded but even I have trouble believing he the worlds greatest detective. Sometimes I get the feeling when reading Snyders Batman he is the dumb person in a slasher movie who hears a strange noise and gets themselves killed.

Damiens characterisation was really good and his likability was really there pre-reboot.

Well documented fact that the Trinity War and Forever Evil planned before the re-boot and as a result the cocept will not be executed to their full potential. My theory is the death of Nightwing would have been the catalyst for the events.

Wonder Women is brilliant, I would like to petition DC to put Azzarello on Batman with current Green Arrow artist Andrea Sorrentino. That is no reflection on Capullo his art is the best part of the current run, I truly admire his work and dedication to illustrate every issue. Which is incredible in this day and age, his talent and passion for his Batman work is reflected in every panel and line. I hope every fan of Batman (the worlds greatest hero) appreciates this fact and expresses in the forumes at some point.

I am the fourth reader out there that really enjoyed Morrisons Acion Comics!

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sinestro_GL

@tec79 said:

Moores Swamp thing is far better than Snyders. Moores run is one of the greatest runs in the history of the medium.

Lemires Animal Man is not as good as Morrisons. Same reason as stated reguarding Swamp Thing. I do think it is very good and I am a big fan of Lemire.

With that sort of attitude, you might as well never read another issue of Animal Man or Swamp Thing ever again...

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinestro_gl: it is not an attitude it is an observation made based on a valid opinion, the belief that a past run was better does not negate me from reading the subsequent issues by other creators and enjoying them. Should I have stopped watching television once the Sopranos ended or never watched a film after Godfater 2 or the NFL once Joe Montana retired? I find your response to my post to be arrogant and borderline insulting and not conducive to advancing the dialog on the forum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, you were the only person in the world who found Aquaman cool (rolls eyes)

(Backs up) obviously I wasn't the only one but there wasn't very many that was the point I was trying to get across.....Not very many people I knew that are comic fans found him awesome until now.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tec79 said:

@sinestro_gl: it is not an attitude it is an observation made based on a valid opinion, the belief that a past run was better does not negate me from reading the subsequent issues by other creators and enjoying them. Should I have stopped watching television once the Sopranos ended or never watched a film after Godfater 2 or the NFL once Joe Montana retired? I find your response to my post to be arrogant and borderline insulting and not conducive to advancing the dialog on the forum.

You don't need to get all high-and-mighty, dude, you don't win prizes on the forums.

The title of the thread is "2 years on, I'm grateful to the New 52 Because...", and so I fail to see how your comparisons made in post #74 regarding Snyder's and Lemire's respective series is on-topic. Though I'm not saying that you're not entitled to say that, your ideas regarding Animal Man and Swamp Thing are not as well presented as your ideas in the rest of your post in responding to the OP.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Bogey

All the occult characters.

Aquaman

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#80  Edited By Outside_85

Things I am thankful for: (aka. things I dont think we would have seen without the New 52)

• Demon Knights
  • Dial H
  • Wonder Woman: Because Azzarello seems to be the only of the Trinity writers that's tried to do something new.
  • Most of the Dark books
  • Captain Atom... yeah I felt it was about time DC made him live up to his superior duplicate

Of course there's a ton of stuff I dislike about it as well, buts thats for another thread.