undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Give these new Marvel Star Wars comics all the credit in the world: they are coming up with new characters that fit snugly into one of the MOST established universes seamlessly. We’ve already caught our first glimpse of a new Wookie bounty hunter, and now we get a wild archaeologist and her...unusual droids. This issue opens not on the dark lord of the sith, but said archaeologist by the name of Doctor Aphra as she makes her way past her own temple of ill-omen to procure a piece of equipment that will change everything for a couple of droids in her possession. After some terrific banter and the usual amazing action that this series has gotten us used to, she finds herself in the employ of Vader. Kieron Gillen injects this new character with so much personality that it feels like she’s a known quantity within a few pages, and that’s meant to be a compliment. Not because she’s terribly predictable, but because she seems so fleshed-out already that everything she does comes off as extremely organic and real. It’s also interesting being introduced to a character who, if she were in one of the old Knights of the Old Republic games, though possessing no Force powers, would clearly be Darkside aligned. But unlike so many other Darkside characters from the main Star Wars tales, she’s not a maniacal monster, she's simply out for her own benefit and with an uncaring, cavalier attitude about others. She’s a character that desperately needs her own spin-off.

Salvador Larroca’s linework in this issue is great, and with an issue like this it really, really needs to be. From the fantastic, trap-dodging opening to Vader’s simple, direct combat and the wandering, fascinating dialog aboard Aphra’s ship. Larroca blocks, plans and paces everything with a wonderful skill and Gillen smartly lets the visuals tell the story when the action needs to get frantic, letting the reader’s eye scan the page at the speed that the action occurs. Edgar Delgado’s colors are more staid and subdued this issue, in stark contrast the harsh lighting of both Imperial ships and Tatooine, but it works well to give the issue a more mellow, though often threatening, tone.

The Bad

There are a great many derivatives in this issue from Doctor Aphra herself (though one line in particular was referential in a delightful way) to the droids she awakens all feel like well-trod ground, even within previous Star Wars stories. It’s understandable that those are no longer “canon,” but they still exist and this feels like it bites a bit much from them.

The issues themselves are becoming formulaic as well. The cast of characters changes all the time, but we’ve gotten three issues with very similar arcs and beats for each one, and while this series is ongoing, seeing this kind of repetition isn't good.

The Verdict

The formula this issue follows is still an effective one, and here’s to hoping that this isn’t Doctor Aphra, or her droids, sole appearances in this new, exciting Star Wars Universe. They may not be the most original of characters, but that doesn’t mean they’re not any fun, and this issue does a great job introducing them to us. Vader’s goals are becoming grander and grander, and it’s going to be interesting to see how this ties back into the Original Trilogy (if at all) or how he keeps it all under wraps.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrellAssassin

Tony Corey I don't think this is a limited series. The solicitations for Princess Leia (which is a limited series) say "(of 5)" at the end of the issue number, whereas Vader's does not.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not a limited series. It's a confirmed ongoing.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By WarDishy_

Yeah only the Leia series is limited. The core title, Vader and Kanan are all ongoing.

XtremeGuardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this was originally solicited as a limited series but that has since been changed. Likely the cause of the confusion.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xtremeguardian: This precisely.

The persistence of the title has been corrected!

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This bookswas awesome, that variant is sick!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't really like the "THIS IS AN INDIANA JONES HOMAGE" bit.

Vault_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the introduction of the Dr. Aphra character. It was mentioned in the review that she's not exactly a new idea, but I didn't read many of the previous Star Wars comics so she seems fresh to me. I think she's great because it introduces a much needed female into the series, and someone who is aligned with the Empire who isn't a psychopath. I hope this trend continues. I find it hard to believe that everyone in the Empire's employ, from pilots/troopers, to upper command, are all evil. I would think most are just following orders, trying to surive in the world that was given to them. That's how I see Aphra, she's not concerned about good or evil, just trying to make it in the galaxy.

I don't know how I feel about her being so flippant with Vader, you'd think she'd be a little more cautious around the Sith Lord. Perhaps she isn't aware of the extent of his power, or his reputation?

I must admit...the Indiana Jones references, although extremely blatant, did make me chuckle.

Can't wait to see more of the evil versions of 3PO and R2, I can see some very macabre humor in future issues.

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Never read any Star Wars comics prior to the Marve Launch so this is fresh to me - love the Vader and SW books so far.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vault_boy: I agree with you on the fact how she was so flippant with Darth Vader. It felt pretty strange. But all in all a minor blip in an otherwise stellar issue.

I hear Marvel will announce more Star Wars books at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim soon. Ouch... my wallet's already screaming.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightofsteel: @vault_boy:

She was a bit flippant with Vader, but it was explained by her being terrified of him. There was a line where Vader points out she is overly fond of talking, and she admitted that she was nervous and rambling. Which when considering she lived a dangerous life, being nervous was equal to a normal person's terrified.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xwraith said:

I didn't really like the "THIS IS AN INDIANA JONES HOMAGE" bit.

Then you have no soul!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@jaken7: I don't really mind homages to other works, but it was the "let's make this as obvious as possible" way it was done that I disliked.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@jaken7: I don't really mind homages to other works, but it was the "let's make this as obvious as possible" way it was done that I disliked.

That's kind of what an homage is, but okey dokey. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: It can be more subtle than that.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JakeN7

@xwraith: It didn't click with me until after the fact. The angle of the shot is completely different. It really doesn't LOOK like the Temple of Doom scene. It's just that the events that occurred were very similar.

If it was a straight angle pointed directly at Aphra with her running away from a giant, rolling sphere directly behind her, then I would be right there with you.

But as it is, I think it's perfect.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 owie  Moderator

I really liked Aphra and the droids, especially Triple Zero. Great stuff. If it was derivative of other SW characters I'm unaware of them, so that's fine with me.

I thought it was a great issue. I also liked Vader's flashback of working his way through a bunch of informants to get Aphra.