Where to start

Gib1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I decided, after loving the TV show, I'd read a bit of Daredevil. I'm usually more of a DC person but I have read a little Marvel. I bought Back in Black: Chinatown but I thought it was a little too tied to Secret Wars and not really for someone who didn't know much of the character's history. I've seen the main recommendations, The Man Without Fear, Born Again and Yellow. I know how acclaimed it is, but I was dubious of Frank Miller's work as I'm not a fan of Dark Knight Returns. I also contemplated trying Mark Waid's run, as I like more lighthearted stories a lot of the time. Long story short, I'm looking for something that shows off the character front and centre, without being too bogged down in continuity. Thanks :)

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You should read Miller's run. Miller essentially made the charecter what he is, the Netflix series and the movie are based off of his work. You can buy his entire run in trade, but he starts out only doing art and doesn't start writing until Daredevil #168, which is a great starting point, in my opinion. After you read Miller's run, you should get Born Again. After that you can read Typhoid, but that might be hard to follow for you unless you're planning on buying back issues. During the late 80's and 90's, most of Daredevil is not collected in trade. Because of this a lot of people skip to Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith after Born Again. Then there is Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis, followed by Ed Brubaker's run.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Miller's run on Daredevil is some of his best work which also defined DD as a character, and it also carries very little of his typical weaknesses that you'll see even in his other most acclaimed stuff like his Batman writing. I'd recommend checking it out unless you're really that sour on Miller as a writer, which is unfortunate because his run and Born Again are top notch.

If you want to start more modern and not worry about continuity, Guardian Devil's probably the way to go. Read that and then read Bendis, Brubaker, and Waid's runs and you've basically notched all of the great modern stuff under your belt. In theory you could read Bendis or Waid without being too muddled in continuity, but Brubaker's run plays so heavily off Bendis that I wouldn't recommend touching it on it's own.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gib1997: I know I'm a little late: