• 56 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for kev17
#1 Posted by kev17 (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller for me. Love the stuff he wrote in the early 80s.
Avatar image for kneel_before_doom
#2 Posted by kneel before doom (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller

Avatar image for castleking
#3 Posted by castleking (24743 posts) - - Show Bio

no fair. i was gonna say that exact thing. one of us must be psychic or share similar brainwaves  :)
 
@kev17 said:

" Frank Miller for me. Love the stuff he wrote in the early 80s. "

@kneel before doom said:
" Frank Miller "
Avatar image for kev17
#4 Posted by kev17 (372 posts) - - Show Bio

i really wanna read man without fear and born again. off topic,  but i wanna read sin city as well haha miller is the man
Avatar image for kneel_before_doom
#5 Posted by kneel before doom (319 posts) - - Show Bio
@kev17 said:
" i really wanna read man without fear and born again. off topic,  but i wanna read sin city as well haha miller is the man "
Just buy Daredevil Legends if you want to read those
Avatar image for kev17
#6 Posted by kev17 (372 posts) - - Show Bio
@kneel before doom:
 Thanks ill keep a look out for them.
Avatar image for vance_astro
#7 Posted by vance_astro (89989 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker.Although Miller created most of the biggest impact on his storyline..Brubaker really defined DD.He kept his showings on a consistent level.He made DD look human.He wasn't fighting Gods,Unlimited Class characters,Powerful demons and a whole host of characters he really has no business fighting and especially not winning.He made DD's villains a match for him so that it really seemed as if DD had his work cut out for him with each battle.I think DD's writing has always been good though even the PIS stuff.Every street leveler needs that stuff once in a while.

Moderator
Avatar image for morpheus_
#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (30445 posts) - - Show Bio
Volume 1: Miller. Volume 2: Bendis.
Avatar image for agent_buttons
#9 Posted by Agent Buttons (12460 posts) - - Show Bio
@kneel before doom said:
"Frank Miller "
Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
#10 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (267 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed Brubaker so far, but I haven't read any of Andy Diggle's run at this point.

Avatar image for dreadmaster
#11 Posted by Dreadmaster (16257 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed Brubaker but then again his run is the only one i read. >_> besides Diggles three issues.

Avatar image for dane
#12 Posted by dane (10744 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller, but the Bendis and Brubaker runs were awesome.

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
#13 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller and Kevin Smith

Avatar image for superguy0009e
#14 Posted by Superguy0009e (2404 posts) - - Show Bio

i only read mark waid, but damn is he good

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
#15 Edited by yumyumbubblegum (633 posts) - - Show Bio

Brain Michael Bendis (before he got greedy). I think it was during his run that we got to see Matt ram Wilson Fisk with a car, while battering him in Hell's Kitchen. I hate how the current Daredevil doesn't have the same dark and gritty vibe it used to have.

Avatar image for krilling
#16 Posted by krilling (2497 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller gots my props for giving DD new life. He kind of recreated the character.
But my personal favorite run is Brubaker's.

Avatar image for darkchris
#17 Posted by DarkChris (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Thankfully, DD is one of those characters who are not the main characters in big events, or he doesn't appear to 4 titles in a month, but he had some great runs. Miller, Bendis, Brubaker and now Waid.

Avatar image for video_martian
#18 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid (so far)

Avatar image for raineffect
#19 Posted by RainEffect (3376 posts) - - Show Bio

Brubaker. <3

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#20 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller

Avatar image for morpheus_
#21 Posted by Morpheus_ (30445 posts) - - Show Bio
Miller, Bendis, Brubaker and Nocenti.
Avatar image for edge0076
#22 Posted by edge0076 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

In the order they worked on the character: Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker. Each had moments which surpassed the others, but overall, I think Miller (quite obviously) did more for the character than either of the other two writers, Bendis took it and ran with is, laying the groundwork for Bru, who (amazingly enough) upped the grit factor and actually had Matt serve time in prison while later reincorporating something that was long absent from the book...NINJAS!!!

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
#23 Posted by TrueIlluminatus (9579 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:
Brubaker. <3
Exemplary taste, you have.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (18346 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller and Waid.

Avatar image for dreadmaster
#25 Posted by Dreadmaster (16257 posts) - - Show Bio

Still Brubaker

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#26 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller

Bendis

Brubaker

Nocenti

Chichester

Avatar image for the_tree
#27 Posted by the_tree (8607 posts) - - Show Bio

Of the few I've read Miller, Waid, and Loeb.

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (17445 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis,Brubaker,Miller.

Avatar image for guanxe
#29 Posted by GuanXe (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis, dont kill me :D

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
#30 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (764 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller & Bendis!

I am also enjoying Waid's current run, despite it not being so dark. I think that it's a nice change.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#31 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

@GuanXe said:

Bendis, dont kill me :D

His run was awsome

Avatar image for gotwillpower
#32 Posted by gotwillpower (718 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller is my favorite Daredevil writer, but I like Bendis a lot too.

On a side note, my least favorite is Kevin Smith. The first arc of volume 2 was a bad imitation of Born Again.

Avatar image for tupiaz
#33 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

Miller is my favorite Daredevil writer, but I like Bendis a lot too.

On a side note, my least favorite is Kevin Smith. The first arc of volume 2 was a bad imitation of Born Again.

It has nothing to do with Born Again and didn't try to beanything like that. It was not the story it was telling. It ended an era in Daredevils life. It also had a subplot but wasn't real real the same as born again. It has more hoomage to Kraven Last Hunt than Born Again.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#34 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:

@gotwillpower said:

Miller is my favorite Daredevil writer, but I like Bendis a lot too.

On a side note, my least favorite is Kevin Smith. The first arc of volume 2 was a bad imitation of Born Again.

It has nothing to do with Born Again and didn't try to beanything like that. It was not the story it was telling. It ended an era in Daredevils life. It also had a subplot but wasn't real real the same as born again. It has more hoomage to Kraven Last Hunt than Born Again.

I kind of agree but I still enjoyed it.Denny O'neal to me is another underrated Daredevil writer though

Avatar image for tupiaz
#35 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Yeah I did enjoy the Crossbow and Gael story. The hole Irish and British storyline was interesting especially because Matt Murdock is Irish-American. However it is probably a too hot a potato that Marvel dare to deal with it again. It could more easily go under the radar in the 80's than now.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#36 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@daredevil21134: Yeah I did enjoy the Crossbow and Gael story. The hole Irish and British storyline was interesting especially because Matt Murdock is Irish-American. However it is probably a too hot a potato that Marvel dare to deal with it again. It could more easily go under the radar in the 80's than now.

It was awsome

Avatar image for queencorp15
#37 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1058 posts) - - Show Bio

No one comes close to Frank Miller but if were not gonna count him then id say Brian Michael Bendis

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#38 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller

Avatar image for keenko
#39 Posted by Keenko (4522 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Bendis, Miller, Waid and Brubaker, all for different reasons.

Avatar image for dagmar_merrill
#40 Posted by dagmar_merrill (12701 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller.

Avatar image for wolverine008
#41 Posted by Wolverine008 (50923 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis.

Avatar image for jriddle73
#42 Posted by jriddle73 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller has to sit atop that stack; in a very real way, he's the fellow who invented Daredevil. Stan and Wild Bill Everett had created DD but had no idea what to do with him. For about 15 years, the book was a poor man's Spider-Man without a soul, with no core, featuring stories that were all over the board. Because every kind of story was, at some point, tried, some of those stories and story elements inevitably suggested the book's potential. It was Miller who first saw that potential in the DD concept. He was the one who picked up the pulp/noir tone and spirit inherent in the origin and assembled all those disparate elements, added to the origin, created the character we've known as DD ever since (or at least up until Waid).

Beyond Miller, Bendis probably belongs in the #2 slot--his DD material belongs right up there with Miller's among the greatest achievements in comics in general--but DD, from Miller forward, was blessed with several great creators. It became a book that often brought out the best in its writers.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#43 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller has to sit atop that stack; in a very real way, he's the fellow who invented Daredevil. Stan and Wild Bill Everett had created DD but had no idea what to do with him. For about 15 years, the book was a poor man's Spider-Man without a soul, with no core, featuring stories that were all over the board. Because every kind of story was, at some point, tried, some of those stories and story elements inevitably suggested the book's potential. It was Miller who first saw that potential in the DD concept. He was the one who picked up the pulp/noir tone and spirit inherent in the origin and assembled all those disparate elements, added to the origin, created the character we've known as DD ever since (or at least up until Waid).

Beyond Miller, Bendis probably belongs in the #2 slot--his DD material belongs right up there with Miller's among the greatest achievements in comics in general--but DD, from Miller forward, was blessed with several great creators. It became a book that often brought out the best in its writers.

Yes sir!!! Waid is overrated garbage but I think i've already said that before lol

Avatar image for tupiaz
#44 Posted by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller has to sit atop that stack; in a very real way, he's the fellow who invented Daredevil. Stan and Wild Bill Everett had created DD but had no idea what to do with him. For about 15 years, the book was a poor man's Spider-Man without a soul, with no core, featuring stories that were all over the board. Because every kind of story was, at some point, tried, some of those stories and story elements inevitably suggested the book's potential. It was Miller who first saw that potential in the DD concept. He was the one who picked up the pulp/noir tone and spirit inherent in the origin and assembled all those disparate elements, added to the origin, created the character we've known as DD ever since (or at least up until Waid).

Bullseye was by Marv Wolfman and was changed ver little. Miller only moved Kingpin from Spider-man to Daredevil, The Owl, Mister Fear and Purple man was created by Stan lee. Typhoid Mary was created after Miller by by Ann Nocenti. DD was before Miller different from Spider-man both in character and in stories for instance the pulp science fiction in the early 70's. Yes, both Spider-man and Daredevil where both light headed and made a lot of jokes but no so close that it has been made up to be.

Avatar image for jriddle73
#45 Posted by jriddle73 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:
@jriddle73 said:

Miller has to sit atop that stack; in a very real way, he's the fellow who invented Daredevil. Stan and Wild Bill Everett had created DD but had no idea what to do with him. For about 15 years, the book was a poor man's Spider-Man without a soul, with no core, featuring stories that were all over the board. Because every kind of story was, at some point, tried, some of those stories and story elements inevitably suggested the book's potential. It was Miller who first saw that potential in the DD concept. He was the one who picked up the pulp/noir tone and spirit inherent in the origin and assembled all those disparate elements, added to the origin, created the character we've known as DD ever since (or at least up until Waid).

Bullseye was by Marv Wolfman and was changed ver little. Miller only moved Kingpin from Spider-man to Daredevil, The Owl, Mister Fear and Purple man was created by Stan lee. Typhoid Mary was created after Miller by by Ann Nocenti. DD was before Miller different from Spider-man both in character and in stories for instance the pulp science fiction in the early 70's. Yes, both Spider-man and Daredevil where both light headed and made a lot of jokes but no so close that it has been made up to be.

In short, exactly what I said. It's impossible to overstate the extent to which DD was a poor man's Spider-Man. The "poor man's" part is just as important as the "Spider-Man" part. Spidey was A-list, whereas DD was strictly B-list and was treated as such. Both DD and Spider-Man were written as wisecracking, masked crimebusters who swung through the city on wires. DD's powers, which should have been something that made him unique, were usually just treated as a sort of spider-sense. Matt's forever-frustrated romantic entanglement with Karen Page, which went on for years, was lifted straight from Spider-Man--the Daredevil identity always being the thing that came between them (it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the dialogue was directly lifted). While Spider-Man Annual #1 featured the Sinister Six, a team of Spider-Man's old foes banded together to take down the hero, Daredevil Annual #1 featured the Emissaries of Evil, a team of DD's old foes banded together to take down the hero (and Electro was on both teams). And so on. This continued well into the '70s. Drawing out the seemingly infinite parallels between the books would make for an interesting essay in itself.

At the same time, Daredevil was, as I said, a book without a soul. Though the character was, conceptually speaking, very strong, the book itself was all over the board in its first 15 or so years. Stan used it to goof off and set the precedent for those who followed. In one issue, DD would be battling very recognizable street-level hoods; in the next, he was rocketing into space; in one, he'd be in some vaguely Germanic nation battling a dictator who dressed as a Medieval knight; in another, he'd be tackling the Ani-Men; in one, he'd be battling alien invaders, in another, he'd be entertaining U.S. troops abroad as part of a USO show. He'd decide he was going to give up being Daredevil then, a few issues later, he'd decide he wanted to give up being Matt Murdock. The book had no unique character. It was painfully obvious from the beginning that no one involved really had any idea what to do with it, and when it comes to the creative juice, DD was mostly just getting the leftovers after the better books had been put to bed.

Miller didn't just recognize the tone that worked and draw together the disparate elements that had made up the better part of Daredevil, he reworked the book and the origin, brought to it a level of storytelling that had never even been approached in its pages and made DD an A-list character.

Avatar image for tupiaz
#46 Edited by tupiaz (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@jriddle73 said:

In short, exactly what I said. It's impossible to overstate the extent to which DD was a poor man's Spider-Man. The "poor man's" part is just as important as the "Spider-Man" part. Spidey was A-list, whereas DD was strictly B-list and was treated as such. Both DD and Spider-Man were written as wisecracking, masked crimebusters who swung through the city on wires. DD's powers, which should have been something that made him unique, were usually just treated as a sort of spider-sense. Matt's forever-frustrated romantic entanglement with Karen Page, which went on for years, was lifted straight from Spider-Man--the Daredevil identity always being the thing that came between them (it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the dialogue was directly lifted). While Spider-Man Annual #1 featured the Sinister Six, a team of Spider-Man's old foes banded together to take down the hero, Daredevil Annual #1 featured the Emissaries of Evil, a team of DD's old foes banded together to take down the hero (and Electro was on both teams). And so on. This continued well into the '70s. Drawing out the seemingly infinite parallels between the books would make for an interesting essay in itself.

At the same time, Daredevil was, as I said, a book without a soul. Though the character was, conceptually speaking, very strong, the book itself was all over the board in its first 15 or so years. Stan used it to goof off and set the precedent for those who followed. In one issue, DD would be battling very recognizable street-level hoods; in the next, he was rocketing into space; in one, he'd be in some vaguely Germanic nation battling a dictator who dressed as a Medieval knight; in another, he'd be tackling the Ani-Men; in one, he'd be battling alien invaders, in another, he'd be entertaining U.S. troops abroad as part of a USO show. He'd decide he was going to give up being Daredevil then, a few issues later, he'd decide he wanted to give up being Matt Murdock. The book had no unique character. It was painfully obvious from the beginning that no one involved really had any idea what to do with it, and when it comes to the creative juice, DD was mostly just getting the leftovers after the better books had been put to bed.

Miller didn't just recognize the tone that worked and draw together the disparate elements that had made up the better part of Daredevil, he reworked the book and the origin, brought to it a level of storytelling that had never even been approached in its pages and made DD an A-list character.

Electro was in the 60 both a Daredevil and Spider-man foe. It is just recent times that have made him a Spider-man only villain. Electro was the first super villain Daredevil fought way back in Daredevil vol 1 issue 2 (issue 1 had fixer as villain). The wisecracking style was a style used by many characters in the 60's. Given up Matt Murdock was a big theme doing Stans run. The whole Mike Murdock was something that didn't happen in Spider-man and was unique for the Daredevil series. The only reason it was giving up was it made to much continuity and back the you wanted short one-two issues stories.

A never said DD wasn't struggling as a character that he don't have a problem with good villains because he didn't have that many created back in the day. However many of the unique characters he has today was created back when Stan was a writer.

A never said that Miller didn't rewrap the Daredevil into what he is to day. But that he didn't have a different feel is wrong. Many people struggle to do him right and did a lot of things with him. Which today gives the opportunity to take Daredevil in many different directions if the writers wanted to for instance have Mark Waid taken DD back to SF another take on DD there was done before Miller. Even though Chichester used the ninja mythos he also gave it a more science fiction feel to it which was also done doing the 70's. Many writers have tried and have done unique things with Daredevil they just didn't worked that well.

Avatar image for patmcgroin
#47 Edited by PatMcgroin (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis is great, but nothing beats Miller.

Avatar image for daredevil21134
#48 Posted by daredevil21134 (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis is great, but nothing beats Miller.

yes sir

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#49 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2237 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis, But Miller is the forefather.

Avatar image for nobodyisemo
#50 Posted by nobodyisemo (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller>Waid>>>Bendis>>Brubaker