No Caption Provided

Is he or is he not?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'd say so. Short of Wolverine, he's pretty much the face of the X-Men and the leader of the mutant community. In-universe and in real life, he's pretty much an A-Lister to me.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, a definite A-lister.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

undoubtedly

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any doubt whatsoever?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7 god_spawn  Moderator

By now, yes.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

who else?

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

My imediate reaction is to say Of Course he is but then upon reflection I wonder If he is an A-List character why has he never had a successful solo title. I know an argument could be made that given the amount of focus he recieved in the last few years he has almost been in a solo title that was suppost to be a team book. I do not agree with that assessment but it does have some merit. I would say more accurately he has been in some poorly written team books, with writers that were either unuilling or unable to utilize all the characters on the team effectively. He has been in a bunch of one-shots and minis but I do not recall a ongoing. I would like to think a well written one would be successful but the preception with Cyclops, is he is an X-Men character, and X-Men are a team. I think with good writing and artwork a solo title could be successful, I mean Gambit, Hawkeye, and Captain Marvel have sole ongoing titles and I would say Cyclops is a more significant character than either of them.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is a leader, in order for him to work he needs a team, which isn't a bad thing at all.

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By One_Eye

I'd say yes. Even with on outs with the hero community as of late, a lot of the affairs of the mutant community still revolve around him as well as even some of the Avengers. The guy has been rattling peoples' cages over the last few years and it's caused people to take notice of the man.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@w0nd said:

He is a leader, in order for him to work he needs a team, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Captain America is a leader and can successfully have a solo title as well. Same with other major leaders like over in DC.

Cyclops may be well known but because of his dependence on a team I still have him as a B-lister. I can understand and appreciate why people would say otherwise though.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

homosexuality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duh of course he A list, and for those who say he isn't just because he don't have a solo dont know what they talking about, he one popular xmen in original one they need to keep popular xmen in the books to sell,and cyclops would not go solo he is too focus mutant rights and the xmen and training the next generation.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

NO, he's not A-list.

The A-List is (Spider-Man,Wolverine,The Hulk,Iron Man,Captain America,Thor,Daredevil,The Punisher,Silver Surfer & Deadpool) That's it.

You can't be A-list if you're not capable of standing on your own without your team. Alot of the characters I deem A-list have BEEN on teams but they aren't identified only as Avengers, or Defenders or Annihilators or whatever else. As long as Cyclops exists he will always be "The Leader of the X-Men" and nothing more. He's B-List at best. He's very important to the X-Men as a team but his significance lies with them and only them.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

hell's no. he is B list. at best.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes he's lead so many x men teams he's been the face if the x men in general he has done so much for the mutant community he's been the leader of the mutant community .

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he is a B-list char.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes an A-List hes just kinda a douchey character but just about every book has one of those. I actually like cyclops though im not a marvel reader but the majority of people would choose someone like wolverine over cyclops.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely say he was bordering between A and B-list leaning more into A-list.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, how did I miss this thread the first time around?

Of course he's an A-Lister. Has been for a long time. Even asking the question feels odd, there is no doubt Cyclops is right there, on top with the others in the Marvel world.

I find it surprising people would think otherwise.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Of course he's A-List. A-List characters are pretty much anyone who the people who don't read comics know. Considering the countless X-Men cartoons and movies, Cyclops and many of the other X-Men are definitively A-List. He's one the most frequent characters to appear on Marvel marketing and merchandise, and after Wolverine the most frequent member of the X-Men. They even mention him by his civilian name in a B.O.B./Lupe Fiasco song. Within the 616 universe he's an even bigger deal, considering he is basically the president of the whole of mutant race. So yes, however you look at it, he is undeniably A-List.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is A-list in the capacity that he has, as a character, become integral to the Marvel universe. Not all characters IMO who carry a solo title deserve to be named as A-listers. Take for example, Gambit. While a fantastic character with many fans, i wouldn't classify him as A-list. Perhaps a B++.

Cyclops falls under a similar category as Reed Richards. Who i deem as an A-list Marvel character. Integral to the Marvel Universe, but unable to carry a solo title. And i must add, their inability to hold a solo title is not really because of failings as a character, but rather their being part of a whole. There is no Fantastic Four without Reed Richards. While saying "there's no X-Men without Cyclops" is debatable, Cyclops himself has become so much a part of the X-Men that its almost impossible to see him as anything but a part of a whole. In other words, while X-Men doesnt equal Cyclops, Cyclops equals X-Men. His whole life as a character is ROOTED in the X-Men. Thor has Asgard, Captain America has WW2, Gambit has his Thieves Guild, Spidey has his Aunt May, Wolvie has the Howletts, AlphaFlight, WeaponX, etc.

Being known primarily as "leader of the X-Men" doesn't mean that he's automatically out of the A-list. If anything, its the opposite. Being the leader of one of the most popular comic franchises in history is different from being the leader of Power Pack.

So i think having a solo book is not a good measure of the character's importance to the universe and its readers. But rather how much impact the character has. Popular characters come and go. But A-listers stand the test of time. Love him or hate him, he's always been there. Month after month (unless for story purposes like being dead/possessed/whatever). For that, i would consider Cyclops part of the Marvel A-list.

Guardian3712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A-Lister and one of my favorite X-Men!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Nah, i don't really think so. Just doesn't seem right. Soon as i saw the question i visualized 'A-List' and 'Cyclops', and he just doesn't fit the bill. Marvel's fault, they've made the X-Men a Cyclops solo since Fraction took over and with Fraction's portrayal, Cyclops lost a lot of appeal. He's got the same problem as Storm--both are so tied to the X-Men that Marvel's permanently (and complacently) stationed them there, as opposed to allowing them to branch out and become solo/A-List characters.

*cough* dictator *cough*

gambit75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gambit75

Cyclops, IMO is the main X-man and Marvels 2nd most popular mutant so yes he is a A- list Character.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dernman

Inside the world of comic maybe but not outside of it. Look how he was treated in the X-Men movies.

Imperfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Imperfect
xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Please explain to me how the LEADER of the X-men is a B-list?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say that Wolverine, Cyclops and Magneto are the three only A-lister in the X-Men

Avatar image for cyclops4president
Cyclops4President

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@jhazzroucher: Hell yes he is an A lister! Why do you think he gets all the ladies!

Avatar image for cyclops4president
Cyclops4President

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

@veshark: I love it! Cyke is the man. Definitely A list all the way.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no. Other then Wolverine no one on the Xmen is a A-Lister. Not one of them can hold a title by themselves. Is Cyclops recognizable, yep. He's the best person to lead the Xmen but he is not a A-Lister.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By slimlim

I'd say that Wolverine, Cyclops and Magneto are the three only A-lister in the X-Men

Agreed. Not sure about "only" though. Coz if we add Magneto, then Professor X should count too.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimlim: Add Storm, she's somehow well-known in pop culture, maybe due to being played by Halle Berry.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimlim said:

@cheesesticks said:

Agreed. Not sure about "only" though. Coz if we add Magneto, then Professor X should count too.

Yes i'd place him fourth, i just don't think he is equally popular as those three. He was a minor character since Riot At Xavier's IMO

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's the most popular X-Men behind Wolverine.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@slimlim said:

He is A-list in the capacity that he has, as a character, become integral to the Marvel universe. Not all characters IMO who carry a solo title deserve to be named as A-listers. Take for example, Gambit. While a fantastic character with many fans, i wouldn't classify him as A-list. Perhaps a B++.

Cyclops falls under a similar category as Reed Richards. Who i deem as an A-list Marvel character. Integral to the Marvel Universe, but unable to carry a solo title. And i must add, their inability to hold a solo title is not really because of failings as a character, but rather their being part of a whole. There is no Fantastic Four without Reed Richards. While saying "there's no X-Men without Cyclops" is debatable, Cyclops himself has become so much a part of the X-Men that its almost impossible to see him as anything but a part of a whole. In other words, while X-Men doesnt equal Cyclops, Cyclops equals X-Men. His whole life as a character is ROOTED in the X-Men. Thor has Asgard, Captain America has WW2, Gambit has his Thieves Guild, Spidey has his Aunt May, Wolvie has the Howletts, AlphaFlight, WeaponX, etc.

Being known primarily as "leader of the X-Men" doesn't mean that he's automatically out of the A-list. If anything, its the opposite. Being the leader of one of the most popular comic franchises in history is different from being the leader of Power Pack.

So i think having a solo book is not a good measure of the character's importance to the universe and its readers. But rather how much impact the character has. Popular characters come and go. But A-listers stand the test of time. Love him or hate him, he's always been there. Month after month (unless for story purposes like being dead/possessed/whatever). For that, i would consider Cyclops part of the Marvel A-list.

exactly what i was thinking for the whole solo title nonsense, im sorry but the FANTASTIC FOUR is A List period. And so would Cyclops

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is one of my favourite characters, but no, he is in no way an A-Lister.A-Listers dont get treated the way he did on screen, or the way he has recently in comics. I dont feel he has all that many fans, at least in my experience.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Usually A-listers are able to sustain their own ongoings Cyclops hadn't a ongoing so far.
But for years he has been the face of the X-men(except wolverine but he is everywhere :-P )
He works better in a team but that doesn't mean he is not A-list.

IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By IIDEADxPOOLII

In terms of popularity, it's really hard to judge honestly. He kinda is but at the same time he isn't, you can blame those movies for that.

But in terms of how much an importance he is to the X-men universe he most definitely, without a doubt is an A-lister. Almost every major thing to happen to the X-men, always in someway has something to do with him and he always plays a big role .

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the comics world he is definitely an A-lister. But to the general public he's B-lister at best.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@osian2 said:

In the comics world he is definitely an A-lister. But to the general public he's B-lister at best.

That's because of the movies, I'm still waiting for a Cyclops centered X-Men movie.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Wolverine008

Lol, no.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IrishX

@xmentas said:

Please explain to me how the LEADER of the X-men is a B-list?

Because this is still true.....

@irishx said:

@w0nd said:

Captain America is a leader and can successfully have a solo title as well. Same with other major leaders like over in DC.

Cyclops may be well known but because of his dependence on a team I still have him as a B-lister. I can understand and appreciate why people would say otherwise though.

NO, he's not A-list.

The A-List is (Spider-Man,Wolverine,The Hulk,Iron Man,Captain America,Thor,Daredevil,The Punisher,Silver Surfer & Deadpool) That's it.

You can't be A-list if you're not capable of standing on your own without your team. Alot of the characters I deem A-list have BEEN on teams but they aren't identified only as Avengers, or Defenders or Annihilators or whatever else. As long as Cyclops exists he will always be "The Leader of the X-Men" and nothing more. He's B-List at best. He's very important to the X-Men as a team but his significance lies with them and only them.

The entire argument comes down to what Vance said... "You can't be A-list if you're not capable of standing on your own without your team."

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 vance_astro  Moderator
@slimlim said:

There is a HUGE difference between HAVING a solo title and CARRYING one. I wouldn't say that everyone who has a solo is A-list but I WOULD say that NOT having one keeps you off of that list.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimlim said:

I agree.

Cyclops and Storm are A-list characters even without their own ongoing solo.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the problem here is that there are two ways of seeing this.

A-List within the comic fan community, and A-List outside of it.

Take X3: The Last Stand for example. in general, the comic fan community were up in arms with the unceremonious death of the character. Whereas the general public weren't that affected (other than it being overall inferior to the previous films)

For me, Cylcops is an A-list character within the comic fan community for the reasons i've stated before. However, outside of it... i'm not so sure. A good test would be, if a man was to dress up as Cyclops, and take a stroll through the mall, would he be recognisable as that character? i would have to say... MAYBE. Mostly because of the cartoons and movies. But even with those, he's still no Batman, Superman, Captain America, Spider-man or Wolverine.