• 63 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, has received a very big honor: he's our latest Character of the Month! While in the spotlight, we'll test his abilities as a combatant each and every week (click here to see why he just beat Wolverine), but we'll also dedicate several articles to the tactical leader. We'll suggest some of his must read stories and take a look at some of his best battles, but first and foremost, we want to take a stroll down memory lane and gaze at some of his best covers! Now, the dude has been around for decades and appeared in several titles, so it's possible your favorite cover of Slim may not be on our list. If that happens to be the case, we recommend visiting the comments section and posting it in there so the world can appreciate your top Cyclops cover. Okay, now let's go stare at some covers.

THE X-MEN #1

No Caption Provided

Ladies and gentlemen, you're looking at the very first appearance of Scott Summers. Back in 1963, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced the world to the X-Men. It's an iconic cover for obvious enough reasons, but it's a great one for Cyclops, too. His vibrant optic blast is a focal point and he's the only X-Man putting a dent in Magneto's shield. Needless to say, this dose of classic goodness seemed like a fitting way to kick off our list.

X-MEN #1

No Caption Provided

Several decades later (1991 to be exact), writer Chris Claremont and artist Jim Lee began an all-new volume of X-Men. Lee's cover paid respect to the first appearance of the X-Men -- you know, the cover you just looked at -- by having the team face-off against a shielded Magneto. The awesome piece of artwork can be broken up so four sections can grace the front cover and, obviously, we've selected the one which has Cyclops' standing and blasting away. Cyclops has worn many outfits over the years, but it's tough not to love the blue and yellow look, especially when Lee's bringing it to life.

THE UNCANNY X-MEN #136, 137, 138

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ah, The Dark Phoenix Saga! The story arc is easily one of the most popular chapters in the X-Men's history and John Byrne provided some truly memorable covers that capture some very powerful and even gripping scenes involving Cyclops. However, if you grew up with X-Men: The Animated Series, the first cover may bring back memories of the multiple times Cyclops exclaimed Jean's name. Still, each of these covers leaves quite an impression and thrive for totally different reasons.

X-MEN ORIGINS: CYCLOPS #1

No Caption Provided

Sometimes simplicity works the best. In this case, we have something incredibly basic: Scott Summer's looking up and firing an optic blast. Doesn't sound thrilling on paper, does it? But in Adi Granov's talented hands, this turns into an amazing and even energetic cover. Having the dark background allows us to really appreciate the mutant's power and the lighting on his body is handled so well. All in all, it's another terrific example of why Granov's artwork is admired by so many.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #24

No Caption Provided

Joss Whedon's time with ASTONISHING X-MEN gave Cyclops an excellent arc. John Cassaday's cover for the twenty fourth chapter is a very, very nice reminder of that. Not only does Scott learn to control his abilities in this tale, but Whedon also gave the leader of the X-Men some moments to shine and they're seriously badass. Who can forget the incident on the lawn or "to me, my X-Men"? Cassaday's close-up of Scott unleashing directly at the reader is an engaging way of showing us just how much Cyclops dished out in this series and how he most certainly isn't a pushover.

X-MEN #30

No Caption Provided

So many covers want to pull you into an action-packed or dire scene. They're often stern, foreboding, or thrilling. However, Andy Kubert's cover for X-MEN #30 simply embraces happiness. We're not wondering about a threat that's looming on the horizon, drama between teammates, or the possible demise of a character. We're instead celebrating the love two people share. Unfortunately, we know the relationship doesn't last forever, but it does successfully capture a pleasant moment.

NEW X-MEN #118

No Caption Provided

Speaking of Scott and Jean's relationship not lasting forever, Grant Morrison'sNEW X-MEN brought some big drama to the couple's world. However, Frank Quitely's cover shows us a more carefree looking Scott and it's making the list simply because, well, he looks quite cool on it. As stated above, sometimes simplicity works best and this is good example of the X-Man just appearing rather confident and slick.

CABLE AND X-FORCE #7

No Caption Provided

Cyclops has a, well, let's just say "unique" relationship with his son, Cable. Salvador Larroca's fantastic handling of the mutant for the seventh cover of CABLE AND X-FORCE just oozes a more serious tone and delivers the clear message that this father is aiming to give his son a lecture. Frank D'Armata's various shades of red then bring the tone to a whole new level. Cyclops is a man you don't want to disappoint and this cover does an effective job proving that.

X-MEN #6

No Caption Provided

Adi Granov strikes again! As one of the leaders of the X-Men, Cyclops has proudly led the team against a huge variety of threats. With X-MEN #6, Granov has the opportunity to tease a conflict between Summers and Dracula. We've seen so many covers of characters facing off and they're just moments away from duking it out, and this is something Granov does exceptionally well. The artist's character work is phenomenal and he really sells the intensity.

ALL-NEW X-MEN #3

No Caption Provided

After the events of Avengers vs. X-Men, Cyclops' mutant power was fluctuating quite a bit. While that spelled bad news for anything in the way of his optic blasts, Stuart Immonen sure did one heck of a job making it look thrilling and made sure it's overflowing with energy. Okay, maybe this cover makes some of us think about "Cool Guys Don't Look at Explosions" but it's still wonderfully cinematic and shows Cyclops isn't someone you'd want to upset.

What's YOUR favorite Cyclops cover? Don't be shy, share it with the world in the comments below.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Cool

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

None with his new look? Sad I really like that X-shaped visor.

Also not a cover but more like a moment: There's an issue, right after Cyke has returned from being a part of Apocalypse, and he's in the sewers with Logan, and he blast two guys at different ends of a T-shaped junction by reflecting his shot off the walls. It was Logan's narration that made it good. Basically it was Scott showing off, and that's not his style. But such a good scene.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidchipotle

Cyclops is the best there is! Awesome covers!

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

X-Men #6. I love Adi Granov's art but he seems to do covers and variants a lot. I'd like to see him actually work on a book.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Gotta add the cover of Cable #6, Adi killing it yet again with Cyc

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StarWatcher

Fantastic selection, they look great!

@dedpool: There is one with his new look...

Here are some of my personal faves that aren't listed:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedpool said:

Also not a cover but more like a moment: There's an issue, right after Cyke has returned from being a part of Apocalypse, and he's in the sewers with Logan, and he blast two guys at different ends of a T-shaped junction by reflecting his shot off the walls. It was Logan's narration that made it good. Basically it was Scott showing off, and that's not his style. But such a good scene.

Um...Yes, there is.

Avatar image for victorcheenoanleu
victorcheenoanleu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By victorcheenoanleu

My favorite one is on here, DADDY'S HOME!

nihilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nihilance

A favorite from my middle school days.

No Caption Provided
RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mje360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is by far my favorite, and finally showed me the respectable leader I knew was Cyclops. I like both the covers of issue 24 and 22, Cassady gave Cyclops a more manly and every man appearance that I could roll with.

MrEdmazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrEdmazing

Cyclops is hard to make cool this artist nailed it!

No Caption Provided

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainCyke
No Caption Provided

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KEROGA
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great choices @k4tzm4n

ArcGospell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArcGospell
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I have this as my phone's wallpaper!

No Caption Provided

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That X-Men number 1 and All New X-Men 3 are my favorite covers based of Cyclops.

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator
No Caption Provided

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

A favorite from my middle school days.

No Caption Provided

Yeah, that one is solid and should easily take the place of the Curse of the Mutants cover.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Many of these are the most iconic covers in X-Men history. Really says something about how essential he is to the team.

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ALFMutant
No Caption Provided

• I love this one

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Fox should make a solo Cyclops movie.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops best character!

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StarWatcher
Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are two or three that I would have added, but mainly this one (not that the ones on the list aren't great as well):

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30  Edited By fables87

This one from astonishing X-Men too.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedpool said:

Um...Yes, there is.

lol ikr

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

OMG!! he is so sexy, a real hunk

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for that x-men #1 i got the magneto variant . but the trade that came out a few years back it has the cyke / wolvie cover

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#34  Edited By Teerack
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Lazz33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lazz33

Was one of my favourite Cyke covers and X-Factor arcs in the early 90's

No Caption Provided

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Love or teen cyclops T_T, write an article about him, he's the last non AU cyclops incarnation and a homage to the boy scott he used to be

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Yeah. For the record, Cyke would die quickly against a serious minded Wolverine.

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#38  Edited By pingclang
No Caption Provided

One of my favorite covers in years.

Scott757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dedpool:

there is the X-Force and Cable cover.

simple_man815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By simple_man815

There's really great main cover for this issue:

No Caption Provided

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok somehow I missed them! Sheesh guys!

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops, Imma let you finish, but Iceman has some of the coolest covers of all time!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I love Cyk. Has 1 of the best character arcs in Marvel. To see everything he's been through and how it's shaped and changed him from the Boy Scout, to losing Jean, Emma, Pheonix Five, losing/killing Charles to today (and many other moments obviously). To see how each event has changed and shaped him into the character he is today. Love where he is now . Revolutionary to some, mutant terrorist to others. But looking at his history you can see why he makes the decisions he makes, and has become the man he has become. Cyk has some of the richest history in Marvel. Awesome character IMO.

TCB2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KikeJunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KikeJunior
No Caption Provided

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StarWatcher

@ultronmk7 said:

Man, I love Cyk. Has 1 of the best character arcs in Marvel. To see everything he's been through and how it's shaped and changed him from the Boy Scout, to losing Jean, Emma, Pheonix Five, losing/killing Charles to today (and many other moments obviously). To see how each event has changed and shaped him into the character he is today. Love where he is now . Revolutionary to some, mutant terrorist to others. But looking at his history you can see why he makes the decisions he makes, and has become the man he has become. Cyk has some of the richest history in Marvel. Awesome character IMO.

That's exaclty why I love this character so much. There's some real, credible developpement to his life and it's pretty awesome.

simple_man815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By simple_man815
No Caption Provided