Posted by gmanfromheck (41910 posts) - - Show Bio
1777547-1756461_cowboys_and_aliens.cover_.not_.final__super.jpeg
After a week of waiting, we are now ready to announce the winners of our Cowboys & Aliens new mash-up contest
The idea was to take the concept of the original comic and upcoming movie and add a new angle to it. In other words, we wanted to see Cowboys and....something else. We had three categories. Two winners in a written pitch category, two in an art category and one in a photoshop category.

Why has there been a delay? Partly because I was out of town the past week and partly because there were quite a few entries to go through. At least in terms of the written entries.
In the Written Pitch category, we had many many to choose from. After some deliberation and trying to convince each other why these should be the winners, here are our two written winners: 
 == TEASER ==

Caligula 

Cowboys and The Evil Dead

In 2011 "Ash" has retired from S-Mart, and is seeing a psychiatrist to deal with his horrific memories of his battles against the Deadites and the Necronomicon. Dr. Lucas, Ash's psychiatrist keeps trying to re-assure ash that the Necronomicon doesn't exist. through a series of consultations Dr. Lucas gets Ash to finally hone up the courage to go back to the cabin where it all started. Once there Ash and Dr. Lucas find the Necronomican in the fire-place. Dr. Lucas begins to read from it, Ash screaming begging him not to. Then Lucas' face and body contort being possessed by a deadite. a Fight ensues between he and Ash which ends up in the tool-shed where Ash finds his Chainsaw hand. Ash takes off after the Necronomicon, and it transports them to the Wild West at the Turn of the century. Once there Ash meets up with his psychotic ancestor and his girl "kitty". The Trio must battle hordes of Deadites in the wild west. And work together to get Dr. Lucas (whom we find out is an ancient witch doctor) and the Necronomicon.

Strangeling 

Cowboys & Disco

A self-proclaimed mad scientist uses his position as a  discothèque's maintenance worker to conduct his experiments.  He creates a fractal light cage using the disco balls, and with a mishap involving a few ice cubes, displaces the dance club in time.  The cowboys posse up to check out the new addition to their town.  Then things get funky.  Who will survive?   

There was also a long-edit version.
(Original long-form version.)
    Self-proclaimed mad scientist, Edward Winn lives a frustrating life.  He tends to mumble, so everyone he meets ends up calling him Edwin.  He took the job as a maintenance man at the most popular club in the city, to both fund his experiments with a meager income, and have access to a variety of mechanical parts he wouldn't be able to afford himself.
     Edward's latest obsession was his theory of being able to travel through time by creating a fractal light cage that would hold the enclosed area in place while the time stream eddied and flowed around it.  He'd painstakingly readjusted each tiny mirrored surface on the main disco ball in the center of the dance floor, and talked the manager into adding four more smaller ones of his own creation around the perimeter for added pizzazz.  His tests during the off hours were yielding no results, so he didn't worry about leaving them in configuration while everyone grooved to the music all night long.
     However, this fateful Saturday night, one woman's drink changed everything.  As she tarried through the crowd holding her glass up in the air, she came to stand beneath the main shaft of light emitting from the bottom of the main disco ball.  The light shone into the drink, and shot out again, refracted by the ice cubes, in an unanticipated array.  This new, perfect light cage held for one infinite second, everyone within it unable to move.  No one noticed aside from Edward.  To everyone else, it was a mere blink, while Edward's perception allowed him the chance to take in what had happened.  Then the ice melted just enough, and the cage released them.
     Crill Walker burst into the saloon, shouting something about a building appearing out of nowhere out back of Stane's General Store.  Those nearest the entrance peered outside to confirm his story, and described strange lights dancing across the sky.  It was quickly decided to posse up and check it out.  They all downed what was left of their whiskey, made sure their guns were loaded, and headed across the street.
     Then things got funky.  Who will survive?   

For the drawings...we had two entries so that means two winners.

CoinReturnSlot with Cowboys & Orcs of Mordor and ExtremeRadical with Cowboys & Minecraft.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

And for the photoshop winner, Beaded Justice with Cowboys & Doctor Who

1777616-1766910_cowboys_and_doctor_who_super.jpeg
Congrats to all winners. Thanks to everyone that entered. Winners, I will send you a pm.
Staff
#1 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

my heart jumped. I can't believe I won. Thank You G-Man, and everyone else at Comicvine :D

#2 Posted by xerox_kitty (17340 posts) - - Show Bio

Congratulations!  Those are terrific entries.  I love seeing Earp with the Doctor :)

#3 Posted by TDK_1997 (17070 posts) - - Show Bio

Congrats

#4 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio

@Caligula:
Congratulations

#5 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:@TDK_1997:@Mucklefluga: thank you guys. :D
#6 Posted by Mucklefluga (2653 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula:
NP =)
#7 Posted by Vorien79 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Congrats to the winners!  :)

Avatar image for bearded_justice
#8 Posted by Bearded Justice (789 posts) - - Show Bio

i only won cause no one else entered in the photoshop category 

meh

#9 Posted by SevanGrim (2191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice said:
"

i only won cause no one else entered in the photoshop category 

meh

"
did i not use the term "Sexy beast"? No one else would WANT to go up against that bad boy. Be proud. That really is the idea that just destroys the competition.
Avatar image for bearded_justice
#10 Posted by Bearded Justice (789 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim:
you are absolutely right!  how could i have ever thought otherwise

if only such a combination existed  sigh

#11 Posted by NightFang3 (11895 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" Congratulations! I love seeing Earp with the Doctor :) "
             I never knew the Doctor and Earp met before.
#12 Posted by Ash The Flash (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Great job guys! Congratulations tp the winners!

Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
#13 Posted by U R Sofa King We Todd Did (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

bummed I have to buy a copy :/...... im over it, congrats to the winners x)

#14 Posted by danhimself (21430 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula:  CONGRATULATIONS!!!
#15 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vorien79:@Ash The Flash:@U R Sofa King We Todd Did:@danhimself: Thank you guys :D
#16 Posted by strangeling (216 posts) - - Show Bio

There were a lot of entertaining ideas presented.  Congratulations, one and all.

I did a few rough layouts too, but I'm way too rusty with my art skills.
#17 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@strangeling: congrats to you as well :D
#18 Posted by Rudyftw (995 posts) - - Show Bio

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!... 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#19 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23390 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: Congrats, mate! :)
#20 Posted by Caligula (12660 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: thank you :D
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
#21 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6958 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice!

#22 Posted by Skald (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been so busy studying (and playing Mortal Kombat) that this one almost slipped right past me.

Super cool.
#23 Posted by Billy Batson (59584 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula: 

delayed congrats :)

#24 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2135 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor Who and Cowboys!!! Why didn't I think of that!