Preview: MIGHTY THOR #3

• 81 results
lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@jayc1324: @truemarvel: @thunderingthorfan: Is Joan Foster as Thor really that bad guys? What is wrong with her honestly?

Im not asking to critisizing you for not liking this version of Thor. Im only asking because Im new to Thor and I really only been introduced this female Thor (She is the fist Thor Book Im reading) and I would like to know what Aaron is messing up about Thor and/or His mythology that has been established in Marvel's Universe.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well the good thing about the negative comments is that it gives the guys on the podcast a chance to preach how they like it anyway and while they can understand why some fans think this is a bad idea it really isn't. I don't think they've mentioned an issue or appearance of this Thor without commenting on that, so it comes from both sides. Some fans don't like it and (as I can tell from a few comments here) some fans indulge in sadistic glee that other fans don't like it. Either way it's gotta be selling or marvel wouldn't be sticking with it.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

So many angry nerds....

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: Well friend, let's begin with the easiest item: The inscription on the Hammer. Aaron claims that he wants to make a return to the "original" story where Thor shifted from a pathetic human form back to his awesome one. On the way to doing that, he wants to make a PC statement about women being equal to men and being able to fulfill their roles (i.e. Freyja as the All-Mother). Now, even if that were ok, there's one very big problem: the inscription has NEVER said it makes anyone Thor! It states: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall posses the POWER of Thor!" Again, the "POWER" of Thor. Not "you ARE Thor." Just a copy of his power. Many "fans" argue that Beta Ray bill and red norvell, Masterson, blah blah blah......were named Thor at some point and that's fine. The issue here is that the inscription states that even if you erroneously took the name Thor because you wield the hammer,you're still NOT him. All the male characters, other than Dargo, knew this and it was a well stated thing in their thought bubble narratives on many occasions. Now Aaron is making the division. "She IS THE THOR of the Marvel Universe!" Sorry buddy......no she isn't. To that effect, he does the worst thing ever: changes the inscription to specifically say "SHE" to try and cement his point. "He" is an inclusive term. I'm pretty sure that jobs have been described in similar terminology in the past and women have done just fine accomplishing them. Now, he makes the hammer exclusively for females because "SHE" is NOT an inclusive pronoun. There's no way a man is ever a "SHE." (and Transgender advocates need not reply because they claim they've ALWAYS been women trapped in man's body regardless of their preferences so that nullifies that argument) So now Thor (a man's NAME) is a woman's "title". Exclusively. And what is that supposed to prove I ask? Other than saying that she needs to be everything a man is to try and be him, which is more mysoginistic than anything we've ever been accused of saying, I don't see what else it does. She has HIS name. HIS look. HIS weapon. And talks in HIS speech. Even his memories as she attacks Thor stating things to him about himself that she wasn't present to witness. Captain Marvel speaks her own way. In her own identity. Doesn't use any offshoot powers of her predecessor or the Nega-bands. That's character progression. That's "Female Empowerment." My sisters always make that remark to me. Taking an alleged "mantle" and the entirety of the original male characters personality and traits and just playing them as a woman is not "empowering" no matter how much the blind applaud. It's says you have to be like the man, to be successful. And up until this point, that's all she'll ever be.

Now, other than the fact that I've always hated Jane Foster as a character, and normal human superhero girlfriends in general (except for Gwen Stacy and Betty Ross), there are a couple of things that also ruin Thor's illustrious mythos. First, the hammer obeys the All- Father whether he's right or wrong. How many times was Thor correct in his opposition to his father but the hammer ALWAYS obeyed Odin and left Thor hanging. Now, because she's a woman and more sensitive (I guess) the hammer disregards even ODIN himself and sides with her?? Wow. Next we'll undoubtedly see that she defeats Odin with mjolnir, who, no matter what has happened to the enchantment, is in NO WAY EVER powerful enough to even threaten Odin let alone beat him. Mind you, it is exclusively the source of her faux powers. (Unlike the real Thor who has his powers without it really proving that she's not "Thor", but whatever) If that happens, Aaron will have proven our points for us.

Understand this: our problem with this story is that it breaks continuity for us long timers who care. There are others who claim to be long timers that are ok with it and that's fine. But those of us who do mind love the character. We've grown up with him and don't like when he is humiliated in the worst manner ever for the now the umpteenth time. He loses his name (ridiculous since you can never do that), his title (even though he is in all respects still THE GOD OF THUNDER anyway as he's not been depowered), loses his ARM to a nobody affeminate weakling, and to top it off is wandering like some homeless beggar because he is so depressed. In the 50+ years of his existence, Thor has gone through some real bad bouts but has never been shown to ever despair even in the worst of situations. Oh he'll rage and lose his cool but he'll beat the living tar out of whoever troubled him. It's out of his character to act that way and that enrages me. Now, he's in "hiding." God.

And I caution you, here comes my "vitriolic hate" as some have described it but......tough! I can't tell you how much I've come to love Cul! Just seeing him humiliate this usurper and that hammer the way they humiliated and betrayed Thor, fills me with glee. Yeah, Aaron will MAKE her win in the end but the truth stands evident: if Aaron wasn't writing this book she'd be what she's always really been: a loser.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: There are a couple of things wrong with Jane Foster as Thor. There have been plenty of other people worthy of Thors hammer in the past, but it was always done correctly and without screwing up the continuity.

But with Jane, Thor was made unworthy because of something Nick Fury whispered into Thor's ear. What Fury whispered has still not even been revealed to us so we still don't know why he's unworthy. That is problem #1. Thor was made unworthy because of some nonsense Nick Fury said and Jason Aaron still hasn't even told us what it was. That's not how the hammer and worthiness works. You can't just say something and make someone unworthy. The hammer decides who is worthy.

Secondly, Odin tried and failed to pick up with hammer. Odin had the hammer created thousands of years ago and enchanted it himself. It ALWAYS obeys him. It should be impossible for Odin to be unworthy because he made that enchantment himself and could always just undo it or change it so he can lift it. At multiple times Odin has called the hammer literally out of Thor's hand to himself, which just shows how much power he has over it. So Odin, the all-father, a man with powerful magic who can beat Thanos by himself and can hold his own against Galactus, not being able to lift his own magically enchanted hammer without any explanation is another problem. And let me just remind you that all this nonsense is happening just so Jason Aaron has an excuse for why Jane can be worthy and have the hammer. Usually Odin keeps the hammer when Thor doesn't have it but since Jane needed to have it Jason Aaron had to make up some nonsense to prevent Odin from having it.

The third major problem is how Thor has been treated poorly while Jane foster has been glorified. After losing his hammer, Thor lost his arm to one of his weakest villains, dresses like a homeless person, spends his time getting drunk alone in bars and is a shell of his former self. He even gave up his name to Jane which makes no sense. Just because she has his hammer doesn't mean she gets his birthname as well. Thor is not a title, it is his first name. That's another thing Jason Aaron has done to try to force it onto us that Jane is just as good as the real Thor us. The real Thor goes by Odinson now because according to Jason Aaron if he doesn't have the hammer he isn't Thor anymore. This directly conflicts with previous continuity. When Thor was young, before he was worthy of the hammer, he was still called Thor and still went to earth to save people and be an awesome hero. His worthiness has nothing to do with his name or what he is called. With or without the hammer, he is still Thor. Even in the first Thor movie when Odin took his powers he still used the name Thor on earth. But that all changed because Jason Aaron wants Jane to be the only Thor right now. They could have had a female be worthy without her literally taking Thor's identity from him and they could have given good explanations as to why Thor himself and odin aren't worthy, but they didn't do that. Instead they made crap up as they went along, took Thor's name from him and haven't explained anything yet. This started in summer of 2014. It is now 2016. And still no explanations. Those are just 3 of the major problems. There are plenty of other smaller ones as well

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Asgaard

@mark_stephen:

How can i contextualize what you said in the comics world...Did you watch Netflix Jessica Jones?

So in episode 8 there was this old lady (and young Jessica neighbor) that was saying that she was feeling/predicting that something terrible was going to happen with Jessica's family, but when confronted by Kilgrave and forced to tell the truth she said that was a lie and she didn't predict anything, but that kind of behavior made her feel important!

Well regarding Aaron current creative decisions on Thor something similar happens, this people that criticize Thor fan base don't know much about the character/world, they just can't delve into marvel Thor canon/mythology, is not like they mention Simonson, DeFalco, Jurgens, Oeming, Straczynski, Gillen, Fraction writing elements and how they fit in the current take, so its this human instinct that makes (some) people/fans think that they are important if they try to put themselves above other fans, even if their behavior in other threads that involves their preferences isn't assertive, is up to them to think that this sterile opinions (regarding this theme) in the internet will elevate them to a new level of relevance!

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By Jestersmiles

@asgaard: Oh look who it is, this is only your 10000th comment on how you hate this book , how original.

@nerevarine_11 said:

@cyanidepie: Lol. Nobodies crying, this is just the harsh reality of constructive criticism. This entire book makes absolutely no sense, has no reason to be on this Earth, and was only made for shock value and to bank off the MCU.

The point is you and your kind have been giving constructive "criticism" since the beginning and have not stop. We get it ,you don't like it tough cookie, but the book is still going and selling well, so it not working, let it go. At this point you and the Thor nerds do seem to be just crying, coming in every Thor preview whining and crying. Let it go, because if not you are indeed crying.

@judasnixon said:
No Caption Provided

So many angry nerds....

I can fill the earth twice over with these nerds tears, just sad how they can't let it go.

Loading Video...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles:

So the question is, why do you care? Why would you care with my opinions if they are insignificant?

Didn't you just said the same stuff in the past issue preview?

No Caption Provided

Yeah you don't like negative criticism around this theme/comic and you are trying to downgrade others opinion with the argument that criticize will not help, yet that obliviously concerns you like your pattern demonstrates!

Do you really think that you can manipulate Thor fan base into not criticize this comic just because is still going? And nothing we say matters, yet you still care about what we say, contradictory right?

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jestersmiles

@asgaard: Because it be nice to discuss the comic with those who do like it , instead of waving through the Thor fanbase crying over nothing but we all know that not going to happen.

And nothing we say matters, yet you still care about what we say, contradictory right?

Yeah nothing you say matter, Marvel still rolling in money due to this series still selling but keep crying I am sure one day someone Marvel going to care.

Yeah compare my one comment to your what? 10 , on still hating this book.Nice job

I will repeat it once again, Let it go, Marvel does not care and they will continue to do what they want. Don't you have like a hundred of "I hate new thor" threads in the thor section? So why not leave your crying over there and leave this section to those that do enjoy the book.

Or better yet, Let it go. Deal with the Fact this is the new Thor till Marvel decide she not and you have no control over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: I made a list in the preview for the previous issue. I can repost it.

1) Odin is now a tyrant and the embodiment of the patriarchy just to make Jane look good.

There better be a damn good reason for the guy to act as a completely different person, hopefully it's not him or he is under mind control. Nevertheless it's annoying to the extreme and blatant pandering.

2) Odin and Heimdall cannot see who she is despite having immense comic awereness and telephaty.

3) She needs to hide her identity from her allies for no explicable reason.

4) Mjolnir is now sentient for no explicable reason. One more thing, it called at her for no explicable reason. One more thing, Odin cannot lift it for no explicable reason.

And no, I don't care if there is a perfect explanation for all of this coming at some point, right now it's incredibly grating. The fact Mjolnir chose her has also been used to force down our throats how she is soo much better than anybody else, it's the go to excuse to tell us why she should have this power instead of the real one.

5) Everything about issue five and the whole girl power theme they have going on.

6) That wisper was an idiotic way to start all of this and makes no sense.

Same reason as above, it's not a good mistery, it's just annoying.

But let's look at possible reasons, shall we?

If it was a personal flaw or something he did, the enchantment would have stopped him from wielding the hammer long before that point.

If it was the unforeseen consequence of an action of his or a mistake he made in good faith, it wouldn't have made him unworthy.

What other possibilities there are?

Anything that could have been the cause of this would have made him unworthy on the spot instead of needing Thor to learn about it first.

7) She's a goddamn mary sue. We have been told on multiple occasions how much better she is than the real Thor despite doing much worse than he would in the same situation and needing sentient Mjolnir to hold her hand.

8) How poorly the real Thor was treated.

9) It's blatantly feminist pandering.

10) Frigga keeps telling us how her husband is a tyrant and his reckoning is coming, he has never been so until this point and everything in the current crysis is her fault. In other words more pandering and she comes off as an idiot.

11) Thor is not a title. He is the God of Thunder by birthright and that's his name, it's why the inscription on Mjolnir says "shall posses the power of Thor".

No, it does not matter that he gave her permission, Marvel should have never allowed the possibility to begin with, it was stupid the last two times they did it, it' stupider now.

12) Aaron has gone out of his way to demonize those that disagree with the change.

13) The situation as a whole does not capture the essence of a good Thor book.

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I am still trying to give Jane a shot a Thor,I trust Jason Aaron has some idea whats he doing,I mean he did a damn good job with Thor God of thunder issues. but my main gripe is the hiddleson look on Loki,I'm not trying to bash the artist(although I prefer Esad Ribics art for Thor) and the dark elves also looking alittle like the dark elves in Thor dark world,no need for that lol.

I honestly think the only issue this series has faced is that this happening after secret wars,and after that massive damage done to the Multiverse, and having it remade, we are expecting Thor to be off to an epic God level adventure,but its only been 2 issues so I just play the waiting the game to see how it goes

She needs to team up Dr Strange(just an idea)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HighAccuser

@jestersmiles said:

@asgaard: Oh look who it is, this is only your 10000th comment on how you hate this book , how original.

@nerevarine_11 said:

@cyanidepie: Lol. Nobodies crying, this is just the harsh reality of constructive criticism. This entire book makes absolutely no sense, has no reason to be on this Earth, and was only made for shock value and to bank off the MCU.

The point is you and your kind have been giving constructive "criticism" since the beginning and have not stop. We get it ,you don't like it tough cookie, but the book is still going and selling well, so it not working, let it go. At this point you and the Thor nerds do seem to be just crying, coming in every Thor preview whining and crying. Let it go, because if not you are indeed crying.

@judasnixon said:
No Caption Provided

So many angry nerds....

I can fill the earth twice over with these nerds tears, just sad how they can't let it go.

Loading Video...

Dude, you're gonna find out a lot of negative criticism exists in the real world, and many of it is founded on truth and logic. Your retort reeks of a socially degenerate and sheepishly accepting pleeb, who can't take any sort of negative criticism into this large ditch of a bandwagon you've jumped into. Let me inquire, have you ever considered that many of these statements are not just from Thor fans, but reasonably sound individuals who are smart enough to recognize a failed and insulting attempt at revamping an already popular and consistently downplayed individual in Marvel Comics. Or maybe, you're just somebody who watches the MCU movies, and rides the hype instead of using common sense to think for yourself. I'm sure there we're plenty of people who are willing to read and just love everything they've ate up from any piece of media....thats why the Twilight books are so popular. Truth be told, you're comments reflect the "postive" feedback of a nitwit who has just got into comics based on the jokes of the MCU and its popularity. Because in actuality, that is what FemThor is.....a big joke. And as usual, the smart people have only one response for jokes like you...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for germancomicidiot
GermanComicIdiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By GermanComicIdiot

@vox bosh: You can see in this video, that im right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzxrzFCyOs

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jestersmiles

@nerevarine_11: there a difference between crying and actual criticism. For once when normal people critic something they say their peace and move on. Crying is repeating the same till nauseum, which what you and your thor buddies are doing. How about you grow up and face the fact Marvel does not care that you don't like the new Thor and you never going to change their minds? I doubt that will ever happen though.

Your retort reeks of a socially degenerate and sheepishly accepting

Said the crying Fanboy, like I said there nothing wrong with criticizing something but at some point you have to move on. Something you and your buddies have yet to learn. Get over it and grow a pair.

No Caption Provided

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I waited all day yesterday, and today just to have to comments build up. Well worth the wait, love reading this stuff.

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crying white men are beautiful.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyanidepie: LOL @lxlgiftedlxl: Just read the book. Don't look for stuff to hate, if you ask them they will just make you hate it. It has its problems for sure, but you should decide that for yourself.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People using the inscription on the hammer as their argument don't understand that "he" is gender neutral.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Asgaard

@jestersmiles:

Your approach (i can't dismantle any arguments, so they are haters/fan boys and everything they say is wrong and pointless) is archaic and will never work. Thor will be back to be main character in this comic before the Ragnarok movie, so its not about force anything to revert back, its about to express opinion freely, my posts never were about hate the comic but why this execution doesn't work always with examples/content, guess you have to accept that others dislike what you like, sincerely that i have no idea why you and others think that you actually can discipline opinion, and this tentative of trying to look superior is just laughable when you are giving too much importance to other internet users!

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Asgaard: Don't fight with certain people friend. It's obvious that they are the ones bothered by the comments against their rip off. All we have to do is continue to "whine" and "cry" and ruin their peace since they're hell bent on silencing ours. End of story.

To her defenders: I'll be ripping apart EVERY plot point. Nit picking the tiniest detail. Don't like it.....ignore us and go find the life that you guys claim we don't have!

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@01100110: @jayc1324: @thunderingthorfan: Thanks for the insight and thanks for taking the time to reply me guys. Now I have a better understanding on the issues reguarding the current Thor title.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl
@kid_jakeriv said:

@cyanidepie: LOL @lxlgiftedlxl: Just read the book. Don't look for stuff to hate, if you ask them they will just make you hate it. It has its problems for sure, but you should decide that for yourself.

Not fishing for stuff to hate. I just wanted to know/understand what the books problems were with Thor reguarding Jane, Thor and Thor's mythos, as I am new to reading Thor.

Im still giving the book a chance and while I do think its good from what I read so far, I still wanted to know what the "problems" were and understand why readers don't like it. I do know now thanks to the users thunderingthorfan, jayc1324 and 01100110.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl
killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anybody found out the writers home address yet? I think we fans should pay him a visit.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: lmao....wait you aren't gonna do something to him are you?

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Kid_jakeriv

@orpheus_knightfall: That would be crazy though right!? Just imagine Jason Aaron going to someone's house, and burning all their comic books... forget crazy that would be horrifying.

ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_jakeriv: Not really. If he came to my house it'd be he who would be in danger of being burned alive.........

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a thor fan and ive been reading female thor since it started, jason aoron is a good thor writer and the plots about laufey, malekith, dario agger, the light elves and surtur are interesting, but what bothers me is the liberties he took to make this happen. I started reading female thor to see if isdues about the real thor would be dealt with, but all i got was him crying and getting drunk and giving uo his name (which disgudted me), i hate the way odin is being written like an overcontroling imbecile, i hate the way powerful wizards and magic users cant know who she hasnt is because reasons, i hate that odin who determines what worthiness means cant pick the hammer, that after so many issues i still dont get her logic of not wanting magic to heal her but wanting to use it to kill herself, that thor my favourite character has been sidelined and is now hiding (complete opposite of how he was pre secret wars), its annoying that a stupid whisper plot of 2014 hasnt been dealt with yet. I like the mighty thor book, and enjoy aarons writing, but the things that have been highlighted in this thread spoil my complete enjoyment of the book

Avatar image for escapistradioco
escapistradioco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By escapistradioco

loki's stubble lookin nasty

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loki is dead again.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By nervmeister

I will say this: At least we'll get a fun AT4W multi-parter when all is said and done.

anjuwayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By anjuwayo

Kinda want previous thor-like characters to challenge Jane... Like Beta coming to test her... Or Next Avanger member Torunn being pissed that someone wields her father's weapon... and thats kinda what I want it to be about.. Their loyalty to Thor and feeling obligated to do something so he could get his weapon back...