Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

HAWKEYE #1

No Caption Provided

(W) Kelly Thompson (A) Leonardo Romero (CA) Julian Totino Tedesco

Remember Hawkeye? No not that Hawkeye, our favorite Hawkeye, the chick who puts the hawk in Hawkeye, the butt-kicking hero who had to save the other Hawkeye's butt all the time. Yup, you know her, it's the dazzling Kate Bishop making her solo comics debut! Kate is heading west and returning to Los Angeles, with her bow and arrow and P.I. badge in tow. There are crimes to solve and she's the best archer to handle 'em! The City of Angels has a new guardian angel.

The talented duo of Kelly Thompson (A-Force, Jem) and Leonardo Romero (Squadron Supreme, Doctor Strange) bring you a Kate Bishop like you've never seen her before, in a brand-new ongoing series that really hits the mark!

Rated T+

OCT160797 In Shops: Dec 14, 2016 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At first, only the covers caught my eye, but the more I see the more I'm interested. I will pick up at least the first 2 issues to see if it's good.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Art looks nice just wish it wasn't Thompson writing her Marvel work has left much to be desired.

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Remember Hawkeye? No not that Hawkeye, our favorite Hawkeye, the chick who puts the hawk in Hawkeye, the butt-kicking hero who had to save the other Hawkeye's butt all the time. "

Me:

No Caption Provided

SlimeBeherit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc said:

Art looks nice just wish it wasn't Thompson writing her Marvel work has left much to be desired.

I actually quite enjoyed her writing in A-Force. That Thorazzler arc was especially good. Then the series sadly got the ax.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the art style.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Remember Hawkeye? No not that Hawkeye, our favorite Hawkeye, the chick who puts the hawk in Hawkeye, the butt-kicking hero who had to save the other Hawkeye's butt all the time. "

Me:

No Caption Provided

Yeah, that solicit hurt to read

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

idk. The last Hawkeye book wasn't good and kinda depressing in a bad way unlike Fractions run which was amazing and depressing in a good way. Now just seeing Kate away from Clint kinda makes me sad... like seriously I don't understand why the last volume of Hawkeye existed if they wanted to do a Kate Bishop book Fraction set them up perfect to start a Kate book but now this last one just kinda makes me sad when I think about it. Bleh maybe i just cared about the characters too much... what ever. /shrug.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who the hell is this?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where the hell was this artist for Lemire's run? Not that it would have saved it in my eyes but it's a whole lot better of a jump from Aja to this.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Yeah I would have preferred if Lemire's run didn't happen at all. It's full of cliches, lack of any sort of skill showings for Clint, and a completely pointless future and past stories that added nothing to the present plot.

On the bright side at least Clint & Kate have their own books even if Clint's isn't a solo.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ScouterV

...It kind of looks like Daria--that old MTV cartoon.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By StaticSpeedster

Because you demanded it!

Wait what? I don't even know who this is. I have to say this doesn't look bad at all.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yes! The realest Hawkeye is back!

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Stahlflamme

"vintage", eh? Great another person trying to base her on a shitty book that gave her zero things to do gave her zero focus and just made her banging Noh-Var all she was good for. Maybe I'm too negative given it's one word.

@Feartheliving said:

@teerack: Yeah I would have preferred if Lemire's run didn't happen at all. It's full of cliches, lack of any sort of skill showings for Clint, and a completely pointless future and past stories that added nothing to the present plot.

On the bright side at least Clint & Kate have their own books even if Clint's isn't a solo.

No Caption Provided

So, yeah the book only exists because an editor talked Lemiere into writing Hawkeye, because he knew it would be good to have successful Green Arrow writers name on a Hawkeye book.

In case you're wondering what the hell Lemiere is talking about afterwards given his lack of even basic understanding of the characters and the ultimate lack of quality of his pointless stories. The story he HAD to tell is pro-life propaganda. The children that are a danger to themselves and others look like embryos covered in tumors. The female hydra scientist in the beginning is a gynecolognist. The shield lab they shoot up is a planned parenthood clinic. Clint is punching her telling her she is too young, is self explaining. The future storyline is all about telling us Kate is super succesful but she will never be happy again, because the thing with the children/abortion. And the solution is just have hawkeyes brother adopt them on his island is probably obvious as well. Of course all of this is trying to tell us how the whole world supposedly tries to pressure girls into having abortions, as opposed to the complete opposite, and how everything can easily be resolved because everyone got a rich uncle who wants to take care of them, completely forgetting he set the children up as a metaphor for sick children who in case of birth may very well die alongside the mother. And yes powers are a metaphor for illness in this book. The X-men writer of the time everyone!

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I don't care if he was talked into it he still agreed to do it and wrote a bad story (my opinion). And he can tie it to any symbolism he wants in the end it only set back the characters and made for a pointless narrative for said characters. Kate reverted back to her "I'm great at everything and can do no wrong" with adding onto her daddy issues, having some sort of hidden sexual feeling for Clint (Litterally has a one night stand with a guy who's drawn exactly like Clint), while making her entire origin a cliche where she looked up to him after he saved her. Clint was shown as being completely inept and useless without Kate while also for some reason decided to completely shut himself off and become a lazy fat man in his apartment (based on Lemire's future).

These are just some of the examples that made the series unbearable. For me at least. If someone wants to look past all of that and appreciate the symbolism he may have been trying to tell by all means enjoy it. I for one did not.

At this point I'm a broken record though. Hopefully Occupy Avengers and this Hawkeye is good (though the constant Clint bashing makes it hard to) so I can put Lemire's run in the rear view.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Great! I was really Waiting and Asking for a Kate Book! I really love here :) And that seem good in Art and Writing [A-Force was really good!]

So go on!

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Love me some Kate Bishop...... Oh **** are we getting more Pizza Dog?!?!?!

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feartheliving: Appreciate the symbolism? I was criticising the fact he claims he HAD to write a story out of some creative idea, but then wrote a story that ignores even the basics of the characters and their story without crafting even a good story from any level, just to force some pro-life message into it, because he believes he has such an obvious answer to abortions failing to follow up even his own metaphors in the process.

coffeeprince29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

who dafuq asked for this?

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was never the biggest fan of Kate before, she always came off as a 'tough/pushy girl for the sake of being a tough/pushy girl' to me. But I can honestly say that she has earned my respect over the years, more so then a lot of the 'legacy' heroes Marvel has produced lately

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The adorable archer takes aim- on danger."

So stupid. Who writes this carp?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was Clint, I would buy it.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I was speaking "you" in the general sense not you, you.

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah...I still prefer Clint. Honest question: who exactly was "demanding" this?

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I demand is the real Marvel back and for this charlatan to get her own code name.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Kate's cool and hopefully things happen in this book to repair her and Clint's relationship. Hope we get more Pizza Dog too.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I. I demanded it U_U

Avatar image for deactivated-5f7ba9d87af36
deactivated-5f7ba9d87af36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't "demand" it, but I was hoping for a book with Kate Bishop in it. This is great, though, and I'm definitely looking forward to this.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shinobi62676

@stahlflamme: IDK dude, granted I didn't read the series but it sounds like it can also just be used as a metaphor for terminally ill kids and how they can still be of value. Not saying your criticism is invalid, just saying there might be another way to look at it.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shinobi62676
No Caption Provided

@NukeA6: or maybe just have one of them just take up the Ronin mantle (I personally don't care which, I'm just tired of this "multiple heroes having the same name" thing).

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinobi62676: Except the "you're too young" line and obvious "I regret my abortion" future storyline. Also what's the message then take children away from doctors, because they are villains that are doing bad things. And give them to people out of sight to take care of till they are dead. If it was about terminal ill children their lifespan would have been presented as short and they presumably would have died at the end or it would have been clear that they didn't have much left, but no they are still alive in the future storyline and have the same mindset like lets say someone with autism or down-syndrom might have.

Avatar image for parker_industries
Parker_Industries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody asked for this,Marvel.Hell,even the art is kinda off.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shinobi62676

@stahlflamme: Dammit, okay look part of me does have some interest into possibly picking up that run of Hawkeye in the future along with say stuff like the Jim Mcann run, so even though I'm aware of how that story turns out for the most part, I prefer not to get too much into detail on spoiler stuff. Therefore it is hard to have this "Is it really that?" conversation because it involves the very serious topic of abortion. That is something that practically requires going into heavy spoiler detail because it is a heavy topic. So, this'll probably be my last question, can it also be read as call to take care of the, let's say "not as healthy" kids? Cause the abortion thing doesn't feel as strong to me if the kids are already alive and moving about and not inside a womb. Hell even if they're placed in a container or womb-like thing after being alive and moving about, they were still alive and moving about.

Also, you say

"what's the message then take children away from doctors, because they are villains that are doing bad things. And give them to people out of sight to take care of till they are dead."

well IDK about that second part but for the first, if they're bad doctors, the answer yes. The whole evil scientist trope is a major thing in, well fiction period, especially with the many understandable real life comparisons.

Bonus Question: If this truly does come off strongly as a Pro-Life message, but it turns out Lemire is Pro-Choice, what does that say about Lemire? LOL

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: Dammit, okay look part of me does have some interest into possibly picking up that run of Hawkeye in the future along with say stuff like the Jim Mcann run, so even though I'm aware of how that story turns out for the most part, I prefer not to get too much into detail on spoiler stuff. Therefore it is hard to have this "Is it really that?" conversation because it involves the very serious topic of abortion. That is something that practically requires going into heavy spoiler detail because it is a heavy topic. So, this'll probably be my last question, can it also be read as call to take care of the, let's say "not as healthy" kids? Cause the abortion thing doesn't feel as strong to me if the kids are already alive and moving about and not inside a womb. Hell even if they're placed in a container or womb-like thing after being alive and moving about, they were still alive and moving about.

Why not? Isn't that at the core of a lot of pro-life arguments? Claiming that there is essentially a completely formed child since the inception and abortion is the same as putting a gun to a living infants head and blowing the childs brains out?

Also, you say

"what's the message then take children away from doctors, because they are villains that are doing bad things. And give them to people out of sight to take care of till they are dead."

well IDK about that second part but for the first, if they're bad doctors, the answer yes. The whole evil scientist trope is a major thing in, well fiction period, especially with the many understandable real life comparisons.

Bonus Question: If this truly does come off strongly as a Pro-Life message, but it turns out Lemire is Pro-Choice, what does that say about Lemire? LOL

That he either wanted to see if people noticed this kind of stuff in comicbooks as long as he covered it with some badly written GIRLPOWER moments or he homaged something with this message and didn't noticed it had.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mark_Stephen

When did sunglasses replace masks?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@NukeA6: or maybe just have one of them just take up the Ronin mantle (I personally don't care which, I'm just tired of this "multiple heroes having the same name" thing).

Is anyone currently even using the Ronin codename at this point? Last one I remember was Blade.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By EdBlank

Soooo

They have replaced all their best characters with other characters that have the code name.

Mostly gender swapped

Seems legit

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By shinobi62676

@stahlflamme: Whelp you got me there (though I still feel like it's up for interpretation). Do you recommend the Jim McCann run?

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Yeah, Blade was a short while back, but I don't think anyone is using it now.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3.99? I just can't.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SmoothJammin

How does Marvel untangle this revolving door of mucked up twists and turns they call their continuity? It's like invasion of the body snatchers down there. Captain Marvel, Iron heart, Thor, Wolverine.. not even counting the male replacements.. are you Marvel readers hip to all the changes(were they done organically) or does it feel forced?

eliottsworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smoothjammin: Kate Bishop was introduced quite a few years ago and took the Hawkeye name while Clint was MIA. They both operate under it. Kate was featured heavily in the highly acclaimed Hawkeye run by Fraction/Aja. Clint and Kate have a sort of mentor/student relationship, even though Clint is always a mess personally. I like Kate though. She's got spunk.

yasbinfirnas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yasbinfirnas

@eto: Clint has his own comic now, which is really nice. It's called Occupy Avengers. You should try it if you like his character