Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

GWENPOOL #1

(W) Christopher Hastings (A) Gurihiru, Danillo Beyruth (CA) Gurihiru

2015's overnight internet sensation takes center stage in her own ongoing series! Gwen Poole used to be a comic book reader just like you...until she woke up in a world where the characters she read about seemed to be real! But they can't be, right? This must all be fake, or a dream or something, right? And you know what that means...NO CONSEQUENCES! Could Gwenpool truly be Marvel's least responsible and least role-modely character to date? She can if she tries!

Rated T

Item Code: FEB160762In Shops: 4/13/2016SRP: $4.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrellAssassin

Laying on the 4th wall breaking a little thick, huh?

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Why do I still think she's Gwen Stacy, and all this "I'm from the real world" thing is just her mind playing up cause she's just as nuts as the real Deadpool.

hiimsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care what people are whining about, I'll still check this out.

VVknight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I still think she's Gwen Stacy, and all this "I'm from the real world" thing is just her mind playing up cause she's just as nuts as the real Deadpool.

I think that would be too much like Deadpool I like the fact that she's a comic book fan and knows all about theses characters I mean she knows every hero's secret identity so it should be fun to see that come into play.

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vvknight2: Her name is Gwenpool, her entire concept is a Gwen Stacy version of Deadpool. It would make sense that she would be just as nutty as Wade and make up her origin story.

VVknight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vvknight2: Her name is Gwenpool, her entire concept is a Gwen Stacy version of Deadpool. It would make sense that she would be just as nutty as Wade and make up her origin story.

But her being from the real world trying to be a hero in the Marvel Universe is one of the most interesting parts about the comic, plus I bet in future issues she'll run into people like Spider-Man and Thor and she'll know their secret identities so how would she if she's from the Marvel Universe?

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vvknight2: Cause she broke the forth wall and read in the comics. Deadpool does stuff like that all the time. She could be like 4th Wall time 100 and just busts out of her comic whenever she wants background information.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and @vvknight2

@captainrex said:

Except that she is not Gwen Stacy but Gwen Poole. Her true name is Gwen Poole and she have no-tie with Gwen Stacy [except for the original variant cover that create her idea].

Also, her origins have nothing to do with Deadpool, have been clearly state in her first apparition.

And she dosen't really break the 4Th wall. She really came from a universe where superheroes dosen't exist but exist marvel comics, and she was a nerd comics-addicted, reading them all. An universe such as that visited by A.R.M.O.R. Agents in Marvel Zombie 4th or that of the 185 miniserie. An universe destroyed by Secret War She now KNOW that she isn't into a comic book, since in her first story she talk with some superheroes that try to explain that and they trust them [while she original think to be into a dream/cartoon].

In fact, even in the preview, she never talk directly to the reader or something else. While she know that she is "in the world of her comic book heroes", she dosen't think to be into a comic book. Or at least she is understanding now the difference [and sometime made a mistake :)]

However, she have an incredibly vast knowledge of Super-heroes stories, and she use them as a superpower :)

The only thing that may have in common with Deadpool are the lighthearted style of the comics, and the constume [another things random: she dosen't know... or at least chose... to be a "Deadpool rip off" in look]

P.S. and Deadpool dosen't broke the 4th Wall anymore from the beginning of the Marvel Now Duggan Runs [the only runs of Deadpool worth reading, but this is my opinion...]

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and @vvknight2

@captainrex said:

Except that she is not Gwen Stacy but Gwen Poole. Her true name is Gwen Poole and she have no-tie with Gwen Stacy [except for the original variant cover that create her idea].

Also, her origins have nothing to do with Deadpool, have been clearly state in her first apparition.

And she dosen't really break the 4Th wall. She really came from a universe where superheroes dosen't exist but exist marvel comics, and she was a nerd comics-addicted, reading them all. An universe such as that visited by A.R.M.O.R. Agents in Marvel Zombie 4th or that of the 185 miniserie. An universe destroyed by Secret War She now KNOW that she isn't into a comic book, since in her first story she talk with some superheroes that try to explain that and they trust them [while she original think to be into a dream/cartoon].

In fact, even in the preview, she never talk directly to the reader or something else. While she know that she is "in the world of her comic book heroes", she dosen't think to be into a comic book. Or at least she is understanding now the difference [and sometime made a mistake :)]

However, she have an incredibly vast knowledge of Super-heroes stories, and she use them as a superpower :)

The only thing that may have in common with Deadpool are the lighthearted style of the comics, and the constume [another things random: she dosen't know... or at least chose... to be a "Deadpool rip off" in look]

P.S. and Deadpool dosen't broke the 4th Wall anymore from the beginning of the Marvel Now Duggan Runs [the only runs of Deadpool worth reading, but this is my opinion...]

Eh, You believe what you want to believe. This is how I interpret her and I'm sticking with it. As Marvel has shown, nothing in this Universe is set in stone. Things can be retconned, just like that.

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex said:
@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin said:

and @vvknight2

@captainrex said:

Eh, You believe what you want to believe. This is how I interpret her and I'm sticking with it. As Marvel has shown, nothing in this Universe is set in stone. Things can be retconned, just like that.

Well, Everything can be ret-conned, but till they do, I stick with what Marvel have written. And in her first story her origins have been clearly written and stated :) so, till marvel write a different thing and ret-con her [but I doubt they will do this soon, since her origins have been written di the last months, post Secret Wars], I will stick to the official version :)

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin: Yeah that's cool. You do your thing, I'll do mine. (Digital Handshake) We Cool?

Yeah, no problem :) I have only point out that an Official version of the story have been given, but anyone may interpret that as he/she want and like, no problem! :)

VVknight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin: Yeah that's cool. You do your thing, I'll do mine. (Digital Handshake) We Cool?

But I do think that Thatlyn is right about her being from another Universe with comics but you can believe what you want.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

meh

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blue Son

So...her name is Gwen Pool ... but with no relations to Gwen Stacy ... right ...

I don't get it ...

So... she's a person from our universe ... who manages to jump into the Marvel Universe ... (which is kind of original)

And the best she can come up with as a new hero in the Marvel Universe is to dress like a cute diabolical version of the Merc with a Mouth, and make her superhero name a split between Parker's dead girlfriend AND the Merc with a Mouth (even though she is not Gwen Stacy, or is in anyway related to her)

*Pauses for a minute to ponder this*

Yeah ... I still don't get it.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Doc-Holiday  Online

@blue_son said:

So...her name is Gwen Pool ... but with no relations to Gwen Stacy ... right ...

I don't get it ...

So... she's a person from our universe ... who someone manages to jump into the Marvel Universe ... (which is kind of original)

And the best she can come up with as a new hero in the Marvel Universe is to dress like a cute diabolical version of the Merc with a Mouth, and make her superhero name a split between Parker's dead girlfriend AND the Merc with a Mouth (even though she is not Gwen Stacy, or is in anyway related to her)

Allow me to explain:

Marvel is essentially planning to kill us all by forcing Gwenpool, Spider-gwen and Gwen Stacy down our throats in an attempt to prove that they have interesting female characters the public loves...by forcing them on the public...

Honestly, I picked up the first few issues of Spider-gwen and it's just...meh...

None of this gwen stuff really hit home

Blue Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blue_son said:

I don't get it ...

So... she's a person from our universe ... who someone manages to jump into the Marvel Universe ... (which is kind of original)

Allow me to explain:

Marvel is essentially planning to kill us all by forcing Gwenpool, Spider-gwen and Gwen Stacy down our throats in an attempt to prove that they have interesting female characters the public loves...by forcing them on the public...

Honestly, I picked up the first few issues of Spider-gwen and it's just...meh...

Yeah ... see ... what you just said ...I GOT.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This looks really fun.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@captainrex: @thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin: @vvknight2:

So..... Not Gwen Stacy? Okay, I'm in!

My favorite character in the Marvel U is Gwen, but Spider-Gwen is enough... I don't want a Stacy overhaul.

From what I understood out of your back and forth in the comments is that she's Gwen Poole from our world, somehow lands in the Marvel U, knows the universe backwards and forwards 'cause she's a "real-life" geek, and is from the 4th wall, but doesn't break the 4th wall.

Is this correct?

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainrex: @thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin: @vvknight2:

So..... Not Gwen Stacy? Okay, I'm in!

My favorite character in the Marvel U is Gwen, but Spider-Gwen is enough... I don't want a Stacy overhaul.

From what I understood out of your back and forth in the comments is that she's Gwen Poole from our world, somehow lands in the Marvel U, knows the universe backwards and forwards 'cause she's a "real-life" geek, and is from the 4th wall, but doesn't break the 4th wall.

Is this correct?

Yes, correct

Our world or some universe very similar to our, without superheroes and with comicbook. She appear in the begin of Final Incursion, where all the universe collapse and only the Battleworld survive, so she is a "random survivor" from an universe that now maybe dead, but the truth must be discovered :)

You can find her first story as a three part side story to the first three issue of the new Howard the Duck volume :)

CaptainRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainRex

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin: Perhaps. But I know for a fact that anyone who has "Pool" in their title, you can expect a lot of twists and turns in their story. She could just as easily be Gwen Stacey who's just nuts.

You never know. And that's half the fun. :p

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When's the GwenPool/Harley Quinn x-over?

Maverick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

looks great

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Doc-Holiday  Online

@blue_son said:
@doc-holiday said:
@blue_son said:

I don't get it ...

Allow me to explain:

Yeah ... see ... what you just said ...I GOT.

Super easy to understand.

DC and Marvel are trying to appear more progressive and appeal to a wider audience but they're failing and they are pushing away long time fans. They're drastically changing characters, adding new ones, all in a desperate attempt to remain relevant.

It's kind of sad and also why I stopped reading DC and Marvel and read stuff from Valiant, Image and smaller companies.

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JamesSpiring

Those of you mentioning that she comes from a world that has Marvel Comics, you do realise that Earth-616 and Earth-65 have them too? In Earth-616, if a hero's civilian identity is secret, it just has a different one in the comic books. So in-universe, the Fantastic Four comics are about the actual team, but Spidey's use a different civilian alter ego and supporting cast instead of Peter Parker's. One of Spider-Gwen's issues (Vol 2 issue 2) has a profile of that universe's Captain America. It's mentioned that she had comics in the 40s drawn by Steve Rogers (Cap is a female Sam Wilson in that universe, and apparently always has been). The likelihood is that Gwen Poole is from a universe very much like ours, but which was destroyed by an incursion in Secret Wars - resulting in her ending up in the Prime universe (the former 616), much like Old Man Logan and the surviving Ultimate characters (I also believe that's why the original 5 X-Men are trapped - they're from another universe, not the past, and their reality was incursion destroyed).

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyhawk1 said:

When's the GwenPool/Harley Quinn x-over?

Hope Soon :P

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those of you mentioning that she comes from a world that has Marvel Comics, you do realise that Earth-616 and Earth-65 have them too? In Earth-616, if a hero's civilian identity is secret, it just has a different one in the comic books. So in-universe, the Fantastic Four comics are about the actual team, but Spidey's use a different civilian alter ego and supporting cast instead of Peter Parker's. One of Spider-Gwen's issues (Vol 2 issue 2) has a profile of that universe's Captain America. It's mentioned that she had comics in the 40s drawn by Steve Rogers (Cap is a female Sam Wilson in that universe, and apparently always has been). The likelihood is that Gwen Poole is from a universe very much like ours, but which was destroyed by an incursion in Secret Wars - resulting in her ending up in the Prime universe (the former 616), much like Old Man Logan and the surviving Ultimate characters (I also believe that's why the original 5 X-Men are trapped - they're from another universe, not the past, and their reality was incursion destroyed).

Exactly this. She came from a world WITHOUT superheroes, but WITH Marvel Comics. And since she appear in the middle of the Final Incursion, she maybe from a "nearly real" destroyed universe, and now left in the new Prime Universe.

[The 5 O. X-Men may come from the past, but their time travel may have create 2 different dimension/reality, one of which maybe was destroyed by Incursion, so they cant' turn back... In any case, BOTH that now dosen't exist...so they are trapped in the new Prima Universe...]

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing's so dumb...

BatmanBeyond28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BatmanBeyond28

Stuff like this makes me hate Marvel and its fans more and more every year.

Lame, shameless, shallow cashing-in with 10,000 variant covers rather than creating new stuff.

Marvel is even worse now than in the early 90s just before they crashed and had to sell off most of their movie properties to survive. They're a disgrace.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

5$?...

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^

FearToxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing's so dumb...

Lame, shameless, shallow cashing-in with 10,000 variant covers rather than creating new stuff.

Marvel is even worse now than in the early 90s just before they crashed and had to sell off most of their movie properties to survive. They're a disgrace.

KingKaijuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You make it sound like Marvel is working in mass on these variants. When the re laity is most artists are freelance. Especially the variants. It's not taking away from creating new content to ask an artist to practically draw fanart for money. Especially considering a lot of their cover artists don't actually do anything inside. So all of the work going into the covers other than the typography stuff is being done interdependently from the actual writing process.

Not to mention it helps a lot of newer artists actually cross that boundary into recognition. All with the benefit of not having to buy a single variant.

It's kind of predatory to collectors, sure. But that kind of thing is a choice. No one is forcing anyone to abide by the "gotta have everything" concept.