Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

GAMORA #1

No Caption Provided

(W) Nicole Perlman (A) Marco Checchetto (CA) Esad Ribic

Before the Guardians...there was Gamora!

From screenwriter Nicole Perlman-co-writer of the Guardians of the Galaxy screenplay-and Marvel superstar artist Marco Checchetto comes a killer new ongoing series! Once upon a time she was Thanos' heartless pet assassin and favorite daughter. Today, she is the backbone of the Guardians of the Galaxy, putting her life on the line to defend the innocent. What was it that transformed her from being used as a tool of her oppressor, to a champion of the powerless? Embark on a journey of revenge and redemption, and witness how Gamora earned her reputation as the Deadliest Woman in the Galaxy.

Rated T

OCT160837 In Shops: Dec 21, 2016 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Solid_Snake97 hey remember back on IGN I said the MCU would compel Marvel to make an ongoing for every f***king Guardians member? Well....wth Marvel

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@Solid_Snake97 hey remember back on IGN I said the MCU would compel Marvel to make an ongoing for every f***king Guardians member? Well....wth Marvel

They did? The Drax book was amazing it just ended right as it went into Civil War. They had a Star Lord book but it was kinda meh the new one coming out looks better. They still have a Rocket and Groot book. They did have a solo book for Rocket and Groot each last year. There was also a Venom Space Knight book. The only one who didn't get a solo book was The Thing.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: I mean the MCU Guardians. Drax, Gamora, ST, Rocket and Groot.

I didn't know Drax's book ended, but thats good. Not every character needs an ongoing.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I didn't know Drax's book ended, but thats good. Not every character needs an ongoing.

Oh I didn't realize you meant the movie ones. I could care less about them having a comic since the movie versions of every character will always just be kinda shallow and echo the real ones. Seems really pointless to give them all books.

Honestly I think Drax easily has the best book out of all the guardian titles cause I read them all. I wish it kept going.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Counter Point: Every character needs an ongoing.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Green_Tea

@nerevarine_11: Marvel is full of money hungry wh*res at this point. I mean they're not afraid to show that side of themselves right now with the MCU unlike before XD

Avatar image for spiderhyphenman
spiderhyphenman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed Drax (The art was the worst part, the story was actually enjoyable) Too bad the sales on it were abysmal :(

What has Perlman written before this series? Anything of note?

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael: She wrote the original script for GOTG.

I'll be giving a pass to this book because it clearly isn't about Comics Gamora since Nebula is there.

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be giving a pass to this book because it clearly isn't about Comics Gamora since Nebula is there.

Thanks for the info on Perlman. I'm going to check this out (Gamora is one of my favorites, dating back to Infinity Watch) but I get where you are coming from o the Nebula thing. The movie pretty much caused the entire Gaurdians universe to get retconned. They actually poked fun at this in the Drax series when Cammy showed up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Thanks for the info on Perlman. I'm going to check this out (Gamora is one of my favorites, dating back to Infinity Watch) but I get where you are coming from o the Nebula thing. The movie pretty much caused the entire Gaurdians universe to get retconned. They actually poked fun at this in the Drax series when Cammy showed up.

Nebula is a comic character that existed before the movies.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

savage thanos being savage

Corch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corch

this isnt the worst choise but im so tired of these infinite solo series for like ALL the characters, that will get cancelled after issue 12-13. Drax was pretty funny and dumb and still cancelled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wasn't this announced almost two years ago?

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ezekael

@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Who had nothing to do with Gamora's backstory (which is what I assumed was sinikettu's point). Their shared association with Thanos existed, but their " interpersonal relationship" came from the movies.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Who had nothing to do with Gamora's backstory (which is what I assumed was sinikettu's point). Their shared association with Thanos existed, but their " interpersonal relationship" came from the movies.

Not to mention how Thanos almost killed Nebula on the spot when she claimed to be his granddaughter, Nebula also wasn't bald and sporting a metal arm before 2014-movie.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Not to mention how Thanos almost killed Nebula on the spot when she claimed to be his granddaughter, Nebula also wasn't bald and sporting a metal arm before 2014-movie.

Are you saying this somehow makes them worse characters?

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu said:
@ezekael said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Are you saying this somehow makes them worse characters?

I wasn't saying that, that's a bit of a leap. I just understand how folks get annoyed when the comics get altered to match the movies in what can feel like an unnatural way. Its definitely a retcon and doesn't fit with Thanos and Nebulas continuity prior to the movie release.

I do much prefer her new look though.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Did "Chris Pratifying" of Star-Lord make him a better character? Not in my opinion and I doubt it's going do to much good for Gamora either to retcon her & Nebula to be sisters but at least Perlman is going to do it right from the start and not in the middle of the story like 'Bender' did with GOTG... And she seems to be following the comic canon in other aspects.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: but at least Perlman is going to do it right from the start and not in the middle of the story like 'Bender' did with GOTG

What did Bendis do in the middle of what story?

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinobi62676: Nothing much, he just changed the whole aspect of Star-lord's personality and wardrobe to match the Movie between two issues without any kind of in-universe build-up, explanation or even comment from any of the characters in the books.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks good (+)

risingtide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't miss this.

Avatar image for phoenixdiamond616
phoenixdiamond616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say I love Gamora...

mewtaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mewtaunt

rated T?

whatever she's holding in her hand looks awfully rude...

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many good Marvel comics to read. I'll be adding this and the new Ironfist to my pull list.

Just stop Marvel.

Cagnazzo82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently Thanos is the only cosmic being of relevance at this point. He's in a million places at once. Here, on Titan, trapped in a jail cell on Earth.

If you just started reading comics now you'd never realize Marvel cosmic was by far the richer universe in terms of cast between Marvel and DC.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks interesting.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#32 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@ezekael said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Nebula did indeed have implants on her head and arm since the early 90's and through Annihilation. There is much in the comics referenced about a past between Thanos and Nebula, although it's never truly explored.

It's the same with Gamora. There's only a handful of showings of young Gamora with Thanos.

There's plenty of room in the comics for Nebula to be there with Thanos and Gamora. It would finally be putting decades old pieces together and give depth to two really cool characters. I have no idea what you guys are talking about with a retcon of anything here. The only character really being majorly affected from the movie is Star-Lord.

I'm surprised that the writer here also worked on the screenplay. This is more like the Gamora I know, not the meek version we got in the movie. Hopefully that will translate back into the next movie.

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ezekael

@jloneblackheart said:
@sinikettu said:
@ezekael said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@ezekael said:
@sinikettu said:

Nebula did indeed have implants on her head and arm since the early 90's and through Annihilation. There is much in the comics referenced about a past between Thanos and Nebula, although it's never truly explored.

It's the same with Gamora. There's only a handful of showings of young Gamora with Thanos.

There's plenty of room in the comics for Nebula to be there with Thanos and Gamora. It would finally be putting decades old pieces together and give depth to two really cool characters. I have no idea what you guys are talking about with a retcon of anything here. The only character really being majorly affected from the movie is Star-Lord.

I'm surprised that the writer here also worked on the screenplay. This is more like the Gamora I know, not the meek version we got in the movie. Hopefully that will translate back into the next movie.

Based on the previews of the second movie, looks like more of that same personality. The only real problem I had with it was how "damsel in distress" she was in multiple scenes (the prison, the Knowhere fight). Gamora is a badass... if anything it would make more sense for her to be saving Peter...

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@ezekael: Yeah, 'Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe" and 'damsel in distress' really don't go well together. Her and Ronan were my biggest qualms about an otherwise awesome movie. (I can get over Yondu since he is now the 616 version and 691 Yondu can stay the same).

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael: Yeah, 'Most Dangerous Woman in the Universe" and 'damsel in distress' really don't go well together. Her and Ronan were my biggest qualms about an otherwise awesome movie. (I can get over Yondu since he is now the 616 version and 691 Yondu can stay the same).

I'm not going to lie, the change to Yondu was one I actually really liked. I'm happy they made this a "different person" though to keep fans of the original Yondu happy while still giving us a great new take on an older idea.

GOTG is probably my favorite of the MCU representations, and it made the most changes to characters I was already a fan of. To me this just proves that changing characters for the movies isn't always a bad thing if handled properly. Gamora's "weakness" and making Drax a bit too silly (though that's better than moron, comic relief Drax from the 90's) were my only major gripes. I didn't love what they did to Ronan, but I didn't really hate it either. The zealotry to me was kinda taking his huge pride in the Kree empire (a truly "Lawful Neutral" character if we are talking super-nerdy terminology here) and making him more sinister to give the mass audience more reason to see him as truly villainous made sense at least.

I joke about the Chris Pratt-ism of Star-Lord, "Hooked on a feeling", and Disney (Baby) Groot, but I'm honestly super excited for the sequel to come out.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#37 tparks  Online

@jloneblackheart:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with a retcon of anything here. The only character really being majorly affected from the movie is Star-Lord.

Um.

What about Rocket, Groot, and Drax?...And Gamora? Lol.

All of them changed personalities and had at least some retcon done to them. Star-Lord got it the worst, but they all got it pretty bad still. Groot got it REALLY bad. He's been turned into the cute lovable character. He used to be the hateful, murdering tree monster from Planet X that looked down upon everyone because they were all beneath him. I miss that Groot. :(

Although that's because of Bendis coming in like a wrecking ball to the awesome continuity that DnA established, and not really because of the movie. So I guess I see your point.

I guess it's kind of because of the movie too though, because if they weren't going to be getting popular from the movies, Bendis would have never got his dirty little hands on these characters. Damn Bendis....

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@tparks said:

@jloneblackheart:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about with a retcon of anything here. The only character really being majorly affected from the movie is Star-Lord.

Um.

What about Rocket, Groot, and Drax?...And Gamora? Lol.

All of them changed personalities and had at least some retcon done to them. Star-Lord got it the worst, but they all got it pretty bad still. Groot got it REALLY bad. He's been turned into the cute lovable character. He used to be the hateful, murdering tree monster from Planet X that looked down upon everyone because they were all beneath him. I miss that Groot. :(

Although that's because of Bendis coming in like a wrecking ball to the awesome continuity that DnA established, and not really because of the movie. So I guess I see your point.

I guess it's kind of because of the movie too though, because if they weren't going to be getting popular from the movies, Bendis would have never got his dirty little hands on these characters. Damn Bendis....

I kind of think Groot started changing a little more before he got the bends, mostly because of all the Rocket team up stories and books. I actually prefer him somewhere in the middle, but I've always thought he had a more thoughtful and compassionate side (at least not in battle).

I don't know that he's completely changing those characters except for the awful out-of-character dialogue. I can forgive those four because eventually, we will get new writers.

It's Star-Lord I have the major problem with. He's just a self-centered dipshit with emotional problems now.

But correct me if I am wrong, there is but a few issues of GotG left under Bendis (and then another renumbering?). And it looks like these last few aren't even an arc, just a book for each character and what they are doing post Civil War II (which I refused to read).

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid first issue. Nothing too good, not bad though.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sinikettu

But correct me if I am wrong, there is but a few issues of GotG left under Bendis (and then another renumbering?). And it looks like these last few aren't even an arc, just a book for each character and what they are doing post Civil War II (which I refused to read).

There will be 3 more issues and after #18 Bendis, has told in interviews, that he will craft a special farewell-issue which should be about OGN-sized I.E 80-100 pages in which (presumably) most unused plot points and arches from his runs will come to fore and unite the Guardians to face it in an explosive super-sized final issue (By Bendis' words, not mine).

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart said:

There will be 3 more issues and after #18 Bendis, has told in interviews, that he will craft a special farewell-issue which should be about OGN-sized I.E 80-100 pages in which (presumably) most unused plot points and arches from his runs will come to fore and unite the Guardians to face it in an explosive super-sized final issue (By Bendis' words, not mine).

That will probably have a cover price of $9.99...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Too many good Marvel comics to read. I'll be adding this and the new Ironfist to my pull list.

Just stop Marvel.

No Caption Provided

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sinikettu

@ezekael: Well 10c a page, if its 100 page-issue, don't seem that steep to me. Then again it's Bendis writing it so... 1-2c/page might be the actual value price.

The approx price of toilet tissue sheet if the joke didn't land.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#SavageThanos