Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:

Why is it an origin story? Or better yet, why is it that much of a problem? All it does is explain why superman may need a bike and where he got it. Makes sense considering that he gets tired now like a fit human being.

So far he seems in character, collected, and calm, which is says a lot given his current state. I can understand if you're not a fan of the new status, but honestly, aside from the looks, Clark seems very much like clark.

Come on mate, you know why I have such a big problem with this. This is taking away everything recognisable, familiar and iconic about Superman, throwing it out of the pram and trying to create a new story that the writers can make it easier on themselves. It's narrow minded, unimaginative and And Superman riding a bike makes him look incredibly unheroic and unlike himself. Just another example that Pak and co. don't know what they're doing with Superman, same as DC don't either.

How would you feel if Banner could only turn into Hulk for short periods of time, was significantly weaker than he was before and no longer acted anything like he did originally? Better yet, how do you feel about Waid's second Hulk volume's first arc? Because that's a good example to show you why I feel the way I do.

You haven't read the other previews, I have. He's not calm, collected or in character at all, whether Pak's writing him or not. I can assure you that Clark is not very much acting like Clark in the slightest, Truth is taking away almost everything of Clark's character, world and powerset just because they can't seem to understand Superman.

You mean Peter David's run on Hulk where Banner could only be Joe Fixit/Grey Hulk at night, was significantly weaker than usual, and acted completely different to the savage Incarnation? Yeah, It was one of my favorite Hulk stories ever. It may not fit with the usual status, but Superman doesn't need to look heroic if he is heroic. So far I haven't seen him act brash or angry.

But Superman doesn't look heroic or act heroic either. Again, you haven't read the other 8 page previews to Truth yet, I have. You don't fully understand how bad this is getting for Superman. Joe Fixit isn't the right example because Banner still acted like Banner once he reverted back. In contrast, Truth's depiction of Superman doesn't act like Superman or Clark at all. Just a brutish bull headed aggressive fighter severely lacking in humanity, nobility or unable to stop acting like an emotional wreck of a Greek tragedy main character.

Here, read for yourself, Pak's other Superman previews do not paint a rosy picture. There are good reasons why I'm critiquing this preview because it corroborates how terribly written Superman is. This is not a Superman story anymore, his dialogue can be copied and pasted onto any other generic good guy and it would sound the same. Pak isn't writing Superman anymore I'm afraid.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

So Pak seems to think a good idea for the first quarter of this issue is to go into painstaking detail about Superman's terrible pain, hunger and more absurdly, where he gets the motorbike from. The fact that these writers think Superman's new bike needs an origin story is just despairingly depressing about the state of current Superman comics nowadays. I'll wait to see what other reviews and scans show of this issue but as of right now, I'm glad I'm saving my money on this wasteful crossover, not so pleased that it's lasting a year apparently. This status quo is gonna run out of steam fairly quickly IMO.

but if the bike came out of no where people would shout Dues Ex Machina....

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Lvenger

@truemarvel: That doesn't exactly make it a good idea for it to be explained in over a quarter of this issue why Superman starts to ride a bike around just to avoid it being a deus ex machina. Or it could have at least been covered in a shorter amount of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:
@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:

Why is it an origin story? Or better yet, why is it that much of a problem? All it does is explain why superman may need a bike and where he got it. Makes sense considering that he gets tired now like a fit human being.

So far he seems in character, collected, and calm, which is says a lot given his current state. I can understand if you're not a fan of the new status, but honestly, aside from the looks, Clark seems very much like clark.

Come on mate, you know why I have such a big problem with this. This is taking away everything recognisable, familiar and iconic about Superman, throwing it out of the pram and trying to create a new story that the writers can make it easier on themselves. It's narrow minded, unimaginative and And Superman riding a bike makes him look incredibly unheroic and unlike himself. Just another example that Pak and co. don't know what they're doing with Superman, same as DC don't either.

How would you feel if Banner could only turn into Hulk for short periods of time, was significantly weaker than he was before and no longer acted anything like he did originally? Better yet, how do you feel about Waid's second Hulk volume's first arc? Because that's a good example to show you why I feel the way I do.

You haven't read the other previews, I have. He's not calm, collected or in character at all, whether Pak's writing him or not. I can assure you that Clark is not very much acting like Clark in the slightest, Truth is taking away almost everything of Clark's character, world and powerset just because they can't seem to understand Superman.

You mean Peter David's run on Hulk where Banner could only be Joe Fixit/Grey Hulk at night, was significantly weaker than usual, and acted completely different to the savage Incarnation? Yeah, It was one of my favorite Hulk stories ever. It may not fit with the usual status, but Superman doesn't need to look heroic if he is heroic. So far I haven't seen him act brash or angry.

But Superman doesn't look heroic or act heroic either. Again, you haven't read the other 8 page previews to Truth yet, I have. You don't fully understand how bad this is getting for Superman. Joe Fixit isn't the right example because Banner still acted like Banner once he reverted back. In contrast, Truth's depiction of Superman doesn't act like Superman or Clark at all. Just a brutish bull headed aggressive fighter severely lacking in humanity, nobility or unable to stop acting like an emotional wreck of a Greek tragedy main character.

Here, read for yourself, Pak's other Superman previews do not paint a rosy picture. There are good reasons why I'm critiquing this preview because it corroborates how terribly written Superman is. This is not a Superman story anymore, his dialogue can be copied and pasted onto any other generic good guy and it would sound the same. Pak isn't writing Superman anymore I'm afraid.

But that's not the point, The point is Hulk was completely different. This wasn't a simple change, Hulk was flipped side ways and painted in completely different colors, both figuratively and literally. He wasn't the same character, not in the slightest, but still, it worked out.

From the previews, the only sh*tty one was the batman/superman one, which I understand why you hate. Aside from that, Clark seems pretty much like his nice self. Don't see why he's so out of character, he just gives it his all and thus the result is a bit more gritty.

Just saying that it may work out for the better. One preview doesn't really change that much.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:
@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:

But that's not the point, The point is Hulk was completely different. This wasn't a simple change, Hulk was flipped side ways and painted in completely different colors, both figuratively and literally. He wasn't the same character, not in the slightest, but still, it worked out.

From the previews, the only sh*tty one was the batman/superman one, which I understand why you hate. Aside from that, Clark seems pretty much like his nice self. Don't see why he's so out of character, he just gives it his all and thus the result is a bit more gritty.

Just saying that it may work out for the better. One preview doesn't really change that much.

Superman's not a character who can be changed in the same way as the Hulk though. The Hulk's multiple personalities make it easier for a writer to have a new take on Hulk even if fans don't like it. Superman has a recognisable, iconic and familiar personality, beliefs and morals, changing them into something that doesn't make the character sound recognisable does not work at all.

The other bad one was also Superman/Wonder Woman, the one where Superman sucker punches Flash and tells Diana he doesn't love her whilst she's trying to save him from potential suicide. That does not sound like his nice self at all, the grittiness has become overbearingly trite at this point, as I feel like Superman's becoming more alienated from humanity despite the claims that this Superman is supposed to be more down to Earth and relatable than ever. I feel the exact opposite, the purity and nobility of Superman has practically become diluted in DC's inconsistent depictions of him.

It really is not going to for me anywany. Considering that Truth is becoming everything I don't want to read in a Superman comic and hate reading as well, One preview doesn't change much, 5 on the other hand changes a great deal.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not a big fan of the art.

But it doesn't look too bad.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Maybe they went away with his powers?

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:
@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:
@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:

Superman's not a character who can be changed in the same way as the Hulk though. The Hulk's multiple personalities make it easier for a writer to have a new take on Hulk even if fans don't like it. Superman has a recognisable, iconic and familiar personality, beliefs and morals, changing them into something that doesn't make the character sound recognisable does not work at all.

The other bad one was also Superman/Wonder Woman, the one where Superman sucker punches Flash and tells Diana he doesn't love her whilst she's trying to save him from potential suicide. That does not sound like his nice self at all, the grittiness has become overbearingly trite at this point, as I feel like Superman's becoming more alienated from humanity despite the claims that this Superman is supposed to be more down to Earth and relatable than ever. I feel the exact opposite, the purity and nobility of Superman has practically become diluted in DC's inconsistent depictions of him.

It really is not going to for me anywany. Considering that Truth is becoming everything I don't want to read in a Superman comic and hate reading as well, One preview doesn't change much, 5 on the other hand changes a great deal.

The multiple personality aspect was introduced after Joe Fixit, or it's more accurate to say that Joe was kind of the cause of it.

Also, I was defending Pak's previews, can't say much for the other writers.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
@theacidskull said:

You mean Peter David's run on Hulk where Banner could only be Joe Fixit/Grey Hulk at night, was significantly weaker than usual, and acted completely different to the savage Incarnation? Yeah, It was one of my favorite Hulk stories ever. It may not fit with the usual status, but sometimes some radical decisions aren't all that bad. I can understand that you are cautious and skeptical, and you may not be a fan of the way things are going, but superman doesn't need to fly and shoot lasers to be who he is.

To Clark, this is a new challenge, he needs to remain who he is even at his lowest, and I find that interesting. It may be sh*t, or it may actually be good. So far, I haven't seen anything that suggests the former.

Well said. This happens in marvel comics all the time where heroes get powered down to learn more about themselves and what made them the hero they were in the first place only to come out as better characters. This is a journey Clark never really had before and it can teach him a lot about the people he protects and never got to understand before.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a design nerd I'm obliged to point out that the font for "TRUTH" is the ubiquitous Copperplate Gothic.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lmfao. I'll take a pass on Superbro.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Well, now we get to see this "Kryptonian kung fu" his fans claim he knows.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Fair enough, that at least I'm more than willing to be corrected on by you here.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cringe worthy rednecks picking on '' Not-so-Superman'' ...yea this status quo will be so 'awesome'....god...

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I almost want to read this after meeting Greg Pak at a con this weekend. He's so nice...

I've never had the chance to meet him in person, but I've watched quite a few interviews and he does seem like a great guy. He also seems very passionate about whatever he writes.