Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

SPIDER-WOMAN #5

(W) Dennis Hopeless (A/CA) Javier Rodriguez

NEW COSTUME! NEW STATUS QUO!

• With SPIDER-VERSE in the rear-view, Jessica strikes out to make a new life for herself.

• But she's not going to do it alone, as she's joined by new SPIDER-WOMAN supporting cast-mate and classic Marvel character BEN URICH!

Item Code: JAN150787 In Shops: 3/4/2015 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

I'm really digging that new costume. Well, besides the glasses. They gotta go. Well, and the yoga pants. They also gotta go. Oh, and the gloves. Those are just awful.

Ok, so I like the jacket and the belt of the new costume. Everything else is pretty...meh.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Wow, that whole scene was silly, and not in a good way. Why block traffic? Take your bike closer so you don't waste time climbing a building for no reason. What's up with the little webby things? They're retractable... Did you take the time while the woman was being assaulted to attach them so you can look cool for a few seconds (they weren't visible while she was leaping the building)? Again, douchey move to block traffic.

Silly... And the least the artist coulda done in that big kick panel was show where the kick was going to hit. I'm not asking for an arrow, cause that would be stupid, but something. Gives no clue it's going to hit him in the face or arms... or whatever.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Bierschneeman

Ugh... that writing...

its just....

hnnnh..... so very bad

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the least the artist coulda done in that big kick panel was show where the kick was going to hit. I'm not asking for an arrow, cause that would be stupid, but something. Gives no clue it's going to hit him in the face or arms... or whatever.

...there's literally an arrow?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jaken7: Good point, I'll delete it, would you mind editing that out of you're comment?

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I thought I was laying the sarcasm on thick with the "I'm not asking for an arrow, cause that would be stupid," but yeah. I shoulda been more clear. The arrow was really ridiculous.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I thought I was laying the sarcasm on thick with the "I'm not asking for an arrow, cause that would be stupid," but yeah. I shoulda been more clear. The arrow was really ridiculous.

Ah, k. Just clarifying.

@jaken7: Good point, I'll delete it, would you mind editing that out of you're comment?

Wouldn't mind at all.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Goodbye yellow vagina arrow. Hello goofy goggles.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By superhoodie

Silk and Spider-Gwen had a much better start than Jessica, but I understand that was due to Spider-Verse, let's see what me awaits in this new phase of character, I still think that it did not needed to change your costume, especially in a more cartoonish art like this.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhoodie: It's not really a new run, it's the same writer as before.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#13  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Looks better

~MiB

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miss the old costume already.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superhoodie

@ Captainmarvel4ever : Yes you're right, but either way it is still is a new approach to Jessica since it joined to Sword, Shield and Avengers, she ended up losing their individuality.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhoodie: Doesn't really matter, it's still the same writer (and in all honesty this preview does not inspire confidence).

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superhoodie

@captainmarvel4ever: I understand, However, When I say new phase is something like Matt Murdock going to San Francisco or Scott Lang going to Miami, are things like this que to me means a new phase for the character, most readers just says a new story arc, I am used with new phase, because publishers who publish comics in my country, put things like that to draw attention of new readers, even when dealing with the same writer. hahahaha

Anyway. I'll give one more chance for this title if it fails to entertain me, i might add one more title of the Image or DC.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhoodie: Yeah maybe I am being a little harsh, every book deserves a chance.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well... usually I'm really open minded to change... I like the concept of "passing the mantle" to other people, so I've not so much problem with "new Cap, new Thor, new XYZ" and so on... and for changing the constume, even more less problem! Many 80s-90s constume are extremelly silly, and so a change is really a good thing [I've started to really follow Carol Danvers only when she had changed her constume! I Love Captain Marvel, but... well, the "ass on the air" old constum was very very silly...]

BUT all of this will not apply to Spider Woman... I really love, from the first sight in the '80s, the Old Jessica Constume T__T so I'm very, very, very, very sad and disappointed for the change T_T

This constume is not bad, I really like the bi-colored fingers, and overall I think is good... but still I'm sad for the old =_= This new constume reflect more the personality of Jessica, that is not that of a Sex Bomb that need and want a Sex Bomb Outfit! Well... she IS a Sex Bomb and have powers that make them even more sexual and attractive, so Even More Sex Bomb! But she never had the personality of a Sex Bomb, Vamp or "man-eater" lady :) she is more funny, joking, young-minded... she is always the girl that have lost all of is young years in to coma, and after that, she have lost some other long time trapped by skrull... so she has an incredible "dark side" but also another very young and funny side... so even if many fans [and me also] think that she need a sexy outfit couse she is a sexy character, from HER point of view I think that this new constume is more fitting...

So still sad, but I must accept her decision :(

On the other side, i Really, really, really like the return of Jessica to the street and crime fighting! I always love to see some "old stile fashioned crime fight"... even if I love Hickman story, all the avengers and planetary and cosmic treat-fight, I prefer story more Urban and street level, so I'm very happy for the new direction of Jessica Drew and I hope she will continue on this direction for a long time :)

For the writing and the art... well, I will read and value :)

Kurosame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I really like her new costume and I am looking forward to reading some Spider-Woman stories not related to Spider-Verse.

Tough I am wondering why she switches the costume back for the "Time Runs Out" arc. Or maybe she differentiates betweeen her "Avengers-outfit" and "street-level outfit"?

I should stop thinking about continuity... XD

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't wait for this crap to tank...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

This is like Batgirl all over again. Now she just has to enroll in college and get a bi roommate.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the design, but they should've found a way to make the mask work rather than going to goggles.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like Batgirl all over again. Now she just has to enroll in college and get a bi roommate.

To be fair, her old roommate was a transwoman anyways. Babs having an LGBT roommate was not a development exclusive to the new creative team and direction.

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

When is spiderman getting a costume that doesn't sexualize his package and abs?!

Equality of the sexes now!

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love her new costume, but...it's pouring rain and her hair is still perfect? Riiiiiiiight...

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The new costumes better than the old one (in my opinion) but the only reason I might pick this up is because of Javier Rodriguez art, love that guys style.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dafuq happened to the body proportion, did she turn into a teenager?

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is she ridding her bike in the rain with her jacket undone?

Still not sold on the batgirl change and now this one is jarring.

FrogNWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind heroes changing their costumes. After all, many of the heroes started out wearing something different from what we now consider to be their signature outfit. Good designers will find a way to keep the identity alive. However, this new costume just seems like a colourful jacket with matching glasses. It's rather underwhelming.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wow, they really want to talk about this costume don't they? Not really a fan. :/

I kind of think they should have renumbered this as a first issue, seeing as there's a "new status quo", costume, and artist. They could have retroactively declared the first four issues to be a Spider-Verse tie-in mini-series.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad, talking directly to the readers is a nice way to confront the problem. The costume is lousy in my opinion but it'll be easier to put on a movie screen. On the other hand she's talking about living a normal life and dealing with street level crime and in the meantime universes are ending and battle word is coming up. Might as well have someone scrub the deck as the Titanic is going down.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BuNKiTZ

Really not a fan of the new look. I mean, it's a good look. Just not for a superhero.

*sighs* I really wish they did to Jessica's costume what they did for Carol or Bobbi's.

Still, Land is finally off the book and I don't have to look at his atrocious art anymore! Plus, the new art looks really good.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is bad.

muttput

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Jessica's leaving shield mean that she will no linger be a member of the secret avengers because over the last couple of issues her personality and character have lent itself better to the spy book.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are clothes, like, just walking around clothes. No flair, no anything, they just fell like normal walking around clothes.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad she's out of SHIELD anyway, why anyone would want to join that group of thugs is beyond me.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I liked the old costume this one ...

the new one looks like a live action type of suit for a movie or tv .....it would be easier to translate to live action .....

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By d9000

The costume change is a good change in my opinion. The goggles could use a bit of an adjustment but everything else is WAY better. There was a time when her original costume was 'neato' but those times have changed and I've certainly grown up. Hopefully the full issue of the comic will be good.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Looks good. I'll read it.

And for all the guys who are complaining about the new costume, I personally never liked the old one in the first place, and this one looks much better than the old one.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that whole scene was silly, and not in a good way. Why block traffic? Take your bike closer so you don't waste time climbing a building for no reason. What's up with the little webby things? They're retractable... Did you take the time while the woman was being assaulted to attach them so you can look cool for a few seconds (they weren't visible while she was leaping the building)? Again, douchey move to block traffic.

Silly... And the least the artist coulda done in that big kick panel was show where the kick was going to hit. I'm not asking for an arrow, cause that would be stupid, but something. Gives no clue it's going to hit him in the face or arms... or whatever.

Well, I don't think the scene is so silly or strange. I don't know how much complicated are traffic and urban complex in New York [she is in New York now?], but here in Italy, moving around building, block and street may be more complicated than jumping/climbing a small building. Really more complicated. And from the preview, we are talking about a small building, and the monster is, perhaps, in to a narrow or dead-end alley [in the "flying kick scene" seem to be an alley close on 3 side. So I don't think that dropping the bike and climb the building was a worst choice than run with the bike into a maze of narrow alleys and traffic :)

And the little web things... seems that they are reallty retractable! In the second image of the last page of the preview, they are showned to "out-close" [yes... with arrows pointing the movement =_=]... so I think they have a system to automatic open/retract. And it make sense! The web thing on the Spider Woman, even in the original constumed, had the purpose to aiding Jessica in glide and fly. So she have them closed while climb the buildin, open when glide down kicking the monster, and close for the melee fight.

... but on the arrow, you are totally right, we need more! [For everyone, this is sarcasm :) ]

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind a superhero having multiple costumes, TBQH. I prefer uniforms for teams, but it's cool when a hero has a solo costume, and a "super big threat" costume that is their iconic look.

I didn't mind the panels, mainly because I think Spider Woman has always been a bit unimpressive. Maybe this will give her a chance to shine.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks really cool and I like how she explains her version of "Ordinary"

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes. The art, writing, and design are terrible. Urgh, those glasses. Remind of the terrible and weird glass-eyed domino mask from Green Arrow that Sorrentino was wise enough to just ignore.

Also, that is an extremely dangerous and irresponsible way to ride a motorcycle. Obviously not dangerous for her, but for everyone around her. No need to be that reckless in the rain.

ALSO also, I think it's extremely selfish to walk away from saving the world to saving one person at a time. Or rather, the way it's justified here is. There are ways to make that understandable, but here it just comes across as "Urgh, I'm over it..."

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This volume hasn't had a great start for me. So I'll get this issue and decide if I should drop it or not. From the preview, I'm thinking it'll be dropped, but I'll give it a chance.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodbye old iconic, memorable and striking costume, welcome new dreary, dull and forgettable costume!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe how many people are whining about this. Her old costume has been hideous from day one. Yes, the goggles are questionable, but everything else is much better. How many people have been buying Spider-Woman books over the years? I'm guessing not many. Why not change things up and see if the character can gain some momentum. Also, I think the new art looks fantastic. I'll give this issue a shot. I've never read anything by Hopeless, so we'll see.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: I haven't grown up, I never want to grow up :) I like the old costume.