Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

SPIDER-MAN #8

(W) Brian Michael Bendis (A) Nico Leon (CA) Sara Pichelli

CIVIL WAR II TIE-IN!

• Ulysses' latest prediction has the whole Marvel Universe on Miles' tail

• Escape is out of the question, but survival might be, too.

Rated T

JUL160935 In Shops: Sep 14, 2016 SRP: $3.99

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Darn kids

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That cover looks like Carol had all the awesome sucked out of her chest and injected into her hips.

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bendis is getting all his favorites in one issue.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekael said:

That cover looks like Carol had all the awesome sucked out of her chest and injected into her hips.

Marvel really does seem to be going out of their way to make her look bad.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Peter on that cover, like "Come on, kid, join up with the side that is in every way being painted as stupid and wrong and being treated like the bad guys even though every hero on our team should know better due to personal experience. It worked out so well for me last time. ...At least I think it did. Honestly I don't remember much of my life from that period of time."

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

Peter on that cover, like "Come on, kid, join up with the side that is in every way being painted as stupid and wrong and being treated like the bad guys even though every hero on our team should know better due to personal experience. It worked out so well for me last time. ...At least I think it did. Honestly I don't remember much of my life from that period of time."

xD

kyo28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay, it's the three most hated characters: Black Spiderman, Ms Stretch and idiotic kid Nova.

OK, Marvel, can we get back to the real heroes please like Spider-Man, regular Nova and the real Ms Marvel?

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scbetton

@kyo28: you can get back to those characters in amazing spiderman, captain marvel, and nova when Richard rider comes back. It's all up to you instead of complaining about a book you can easily ignore cause you actually have options

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28: Agreed but Kamala is cool, and when you say real Ms Marvel, Carol is still here as Cap Marvel.

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was crushing Dan Slott on this site. I am a little behind and out of place but I just read ASM#16. Hey this is a Spider Man preview. The book has a Before Dead No More banner on it and it's the first to be marked with anything DNM. I would seriously suggest buying and reading this if you have not already. Great concept with Parker Industry backing Spider Man. Dan has got my full attention!

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roaris87

I've been enjoying this series, but I also kinda feel like nothing has happened over 6 issues... Also I'm not following any of Civil War 2 so I'm kinda lost

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28: Agreed but Kamala is cool, and when you say real Ms Marvel, Carol is still here as Cap Marvel.

Drawn badly in an ugly costume, but she is here.

megaman8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28 said:

Yay, it's the three most hated characters: Black Spiderman, Ms Stretch and idiotic kid Nova.

OK, Marvel, can we get back to the real heroes please like Spider-Man, regular Nova and the real Ms Marvel?

Last I checked Kamala, Sam, and Miles are real heroes. Can you not read about Peter or Carol in their own books? Why don't you pick up their solo instead of complaining about Kamala, Miles, and Sam.

KingKaijuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28 said:

It's times like these that I wish there were piles of content featuring previous Marvel heroes, that I could go out and dive into, without ever having to acknowledge any of the new ones. Sucks that we live in a time where anytime something new is created, we have to seek out anything old and burn it. There goes 50+ years of Spiderman.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28 said:

No Caption Provided

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Miles is the best

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Kind of hard to tell without dialogue, but it looks like it's an 'or else' situation, as in if the kid doesn't do what they say they'll take him out.

kyo28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I can pick up the books of the real Spider-Man and Ms Marvel, but the underlying thing that bothers me, and this was me venting about that, is that Marvel is putting a tremendous effort into reshaping their universe by introducing new variants of existing character all while pushing the existing characters I have followed and loved for over 25 years into a corner.

* Captain America has lost his shield to Sam and is being turned into a Hydra agent
* Carol Danvers had so cede her name to Kamala who doesn't have anything to do with the Ms/Captain Marvel legacy
* Bruce Banner got disgraced and killed in favour of 'awesome' Hulk
* Spider-Man has to share his name with ... Spider-Man??? They didn't even bother to give Miles a different name like they did with Scarlet Spider
* Nova has been replaced by an uninteresting kid who also acts as such. Where is the time where Nova was part of his Nova Corps and stood for intergalactic excitement and adventure?
* Thor has been made unworthy of his own legacy for no apparent reason aside from getting a new female Thor into the foreground (who in my opinion isn't worthy of the name or of picking up the hammer)

I'm all in favour of introducing new characters or creating a more diverse Marvel universe, hell I even applaud it. But what I can't stand is that they destroy, humiliate or just ignore existing characters I've cared about for so very long just so they newer ones can shine and take over their super hero identity. Create new and interesting super heroes from diverse backgrounds and I'm all for it... but NOT like this. This is just wrong!

And that's the thing. The number of Marvel books I can still read and enjoy is dwindling and if I want to read a cross-over event like Civil War II, I'm being force-fed these new characters I started to hate as I see them as usurpers of the mantles of heroes I love.

If it was Marvel's goal to push me over to DC, then I would say mission accomplished. At least I can still enjoy the Marvel movie universe (until they fuck that up too by following the recent comic books, I guess)

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28: Who cares if Thor is Unworthy. Cap. Is a villain. The cosmic cubes are running around with Bucky Barnes. This is an alternate reality. Marvel puts out 90 books a month. As an anology you can tune in from BET TO CMT. I am a 40 year old white guy and I still find plenty of content pertaining to me. I am not a big fan of BMB. I thought that the death of Bruce Banner and War Machine should have been played out on a grand stage, but deaths of characters are so over used. Check out any of the Uncanny titles, most vintage books are still there with decent writers on their books. I'm rambling but really Nova, Khan, Cho are all geared to a young teenage audience. Caps new shied is BA. I will finish this ramble with a quote from Christos Gage from ASM Civil War " Stop Being A Derivative Shtick"!

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kyo28 said:

* Carol Danvers had so cede her name to Kamala who doesn't have anything to do with the Ms/Captain Marvel legacy

* Spider-Man has to share his name with ... Spider-Man??? They didn't even bother to give Miles a different name like they did with Scarlet Spider

Carol was Captain Marvel for over a year before Kamala debuted and they'd been building up to that name change ever since House of M seven years earlier. So Carol wasn't forced to surrender the Ms. Marvel name at all. As for Spidey, he was originally an alt universe successor to a deceased Peter Parker, hence the shared codename. Would you rather Miles be called Kid Arachnid like on TV?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28 said:

Carol was Captain Marvel for over a year before Kamala debuted and they'd been building up to that name change ever since House of M seven years earlier. So Carol wasn't forced to surrender the Ms. Marvel name at all. As for Spidey, he was originally an alt universe successor to a deceased Peter Parker, hence the shared codename. Would you rather Miles be called Kid Arachnid like on TV?

No. The legacy aspect of the characters is understandable from a business aspect. It's far easier to market the name, no matter who's in the costume. But I understand his point on Thor, Nova and Spider-Man. Has marvel really run out of new names or is it fear of introducing new characters that no one will pay attention too? Carol wasn't forced in story to surrender the name, the name change was editorially decided so that they could introduce Karmala as the new Ms. Marvel. It was also a way to try and get Carol away from the fascist turn she took in the first cw. As noted above Karmala is cute, but if Miraculous Lady Bug ever cracks the US comic book market she'll face some very stiff competition.

murderpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha at deadpool in the background. Hopefully he has dialogue shown for those interactions

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyo28: so what's your stance on there being 2 powermen? 2 black panthers? 2 hawkeyes? These shared mantles happened years before the Sam Wilson captain America came around. which he was supposed to be captain America before when Steve died but he turned it down. Thor, nova, spiderman, all these characters have legacy now. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing different between Sam being captain America and Bucky being captain America. Nothing wrong with miles being spiderman when we just had doc Ock running around in peters body and people were cool with it. Leave it alone and be glad your favorite versions still have ongoing titles

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By izamanaick

ASM sucks and Captain Marvel has been pretty mediocre so far.

I hope Brian Reed or someone steps in, and Slott steps out.

Also, Spider-Gwen is too from another universe. But they don't call her that, they call her Spider-Woman there instead but because we already have a Spider-Woman in 616 and in your LCS, they changed her comic book name to something else. Similarly there's Miguel, he's from another timeline and his comic is named Spider-Man 2099 but he's annoying called Spider-Man too.

The least they could do is name his book Spider-Miles, Ultimate's Spider-Man or something. He's not Spider-Man. He's a Spider-Man, but he's not Spider-Man. Not him, not Miguel, not Ben, but Peter.

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: if they follow a legacy it's fine. They can be called spiderman, it's just like saying terry McGinnis isn't batman but he is since Bruce gave him his blessing and training. Peter accepts miles as spiderman, and gives him pointers and works with him. Miles is a legacy spiderman,but he's still spiderman. There's no special rule saying these characters can't be certain heroes if it's shown that the respective hero they're taking after gives them their blessing. This is literally the point of legacy. To carry on the heroes beliefs and ideals

jim158

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: you should check out the " Before Dead No More Book" ASM #16, it is very interesting.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scbetton said:

@izamanaick: if they follow a legacy it's fine. They can be called spiderman, it's just like saying terry McGinnis isn't batman but he is since Bruce gave him his blessing and training. Peter accepts miles as spiderman, and gives him pointers and works with him. Miles is a legacy spiderman,but he's still spiderman. There's no special rule saying these characters can't be certain heroes if it's shown that the respective hero they're taking after gives them their blessing. This is literally the point of legacy. To carry on the heroes beliefs and ideals

And the monetary rule is to cash in on a proven name and concept in stead of taking the risk, trouble and doing the work of creating new characters. I wonder when we'll get to the 25th version of Spider-Man?

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By izamanaick

@jim158: I've read it.

It's mediocre. Along with most of his ASM stuff and his Doctor Who fanfic Silver Surfer.

Slott sucks.

At least his Batman, and She-Hulk were good.

@scbetton: I said he was A Spider-Man, and not the Spider-Man.

You missed my point entirely.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

It's weird seeing people complain about mantles/legacy in Marvel when DC has been doing it for DECADES. Hell, they've been doing it in real life with Mexican wrestling for generations.

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jim158: I've read it.

It's mediocre. Along with most of his ASM stuff and his Doctor Who fanfic Silver Surfer.

Slott sucks.

At least his Batman, and She-Hulk were good.

@scbetton: I said he was A Spider-Man, and not the Spider-Man.

You missed my point entirely.

I really tried with SIlver Srufer... I love the character and wanted a new series to start and succeed... but god its just aweful. Its not Silver Surfer... its so, so, sososososo goofy...