• 123 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Steve Rogers is back as Captain America in a brand new comic series from writer Nick Spencer and Jesus Saiz. Issue #1 of Steve Rogers: Captain America hit stores today, and the comic led readers down the path of America's hero tracking down Baron Zemo. However, the final pages revealed a startling revelation: Steve Rogers is a member of Hydra.

No Caption Provided

In a series of flashbacks, Sarah Rogers, the mother of Captain America, is being abused by her husband. A woman named Elisa Sinclair shows up and takes him out. Elisa befriends Sarah and provides her the safety she and a young Steve Rogers deserve.

Before they part ways, Elisa hands Sarah a flyer for a local meeting she should attend. It turns out it's a meeting for Hydra.

No Caption Provided

Back in the present, Captain America, along with his new teammates, are fighting Baron Zemo and the New Masters of Evil. Captain America is seemingly trying to save Doctor Selvig, who Zemo has kidnapped. Rogers jumps aboard Zemo's craft. Captain America's new sidekick Jack also jumps aboard, and after Zemo is taken out, Cap does the unthinkable: he throws Jack from the craft, leading to one of the most shocking pages in recent Captain America history.

No Caption Provided

It turns out that Captain America is a member of Hydra, the terrorist organization that he's spent decades fighting. Could he have been playing double-agent all along? While many fans may find this hard to swallow, writer Nick Spencer assured readers that there is no catch to what we saw.

"Issue 2 will lay a lot of our cards on the table in terms of what the new status quo is, but the one thing we can say unequivocally is: This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve" explained Spencer in an interview with Newsarama. "This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself."

There is speculation that, as crazy as it might sound, Captain America is playing a triple-agent in this upcoming storyline, but one thing is for sure, this changes how readers will look at Captain America in this upcoming arc.

Steve Rogers: Captain America #1 is available in stores and digitally now.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dondave

Meh, just seems like a rehash of the Secret Warriors story.

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird

ianbareilles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ianbareilles

It's kinda confusing explaining it but Red Skull was in Pleasant Hill when Kobik reformed Cap. I'd like to think that They'll eventually reveal that the reformation by the sentient cosmic cube was corrupted and Red Skull was pulling some strings (we all know Red Skull's history with Hydra cosmic cubes, and hatred for Cap)

there's signs that steve's history could've been rewritten or altered in a way where the one thing that was rewritten was the cosmic cube/Kobik made it so Steve was a agent of hydra.

There's hints in the solicitation for issue three that zemo and red skull will have two different factions of hydra so what I'm hoping is its that steve's history was altered or rewritten to where he was a agent of hydra and that this happened because of the cosmic cube/Kobik possibly not working right.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Boring.

Honestly I want a story where Cap saves Magneto and his family from the Nazis in their camp, then Magneto becomes a member of his Howling Commandos

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

yikes..! this should be interesting to see how they put this back together again a few years down the road

jsawyerjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jsawyerjj

@dondave: That is literally the first thing I was gonna say! We've seen a rouge Cap before. Multiple times.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1/10. Would have been better if he were gay AND an inhuman. Hydra agent is a snooze fest.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming this isn't a Red Skull psychic plot, Marvel has dug themselves a deeper grave. I just can't wait till they ruin every classic white male they have. They can release their LGBT Avengers and crap all over the fan favorites for all I care.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

@doc-holiday: How about Cap died in WW2 and the Cap we've been reading all these years is a clone with all of original Caps memories, who never knew he was a clone and the story becomes about who cloned Cap and why.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

"If Jason Aaron can cash in on a bullshit whisper storyline for over a year, I can make Captain America a Hydra Agent and get people to read that way." - Nick Spencer

"We obviously will have to retcon that shit like back when we made Tony Stark a spy of Thanos or had Ms Marvel get raped by her own baby, but screw that shit." - Tom Brevoort.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Boring.

Honestly I want a story where Cap saves Magneto and his family from the Nazis in their camp, then Magneto becomes a member of his Howling Commandos

This.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why even pull something like this when everyone knows it'll be retconned in like 2 years?

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheExile285

Aaaaand just like that, all my excitement and interest for this comic is gone. God dammit, why do this just when I'm getting interested in the character? =/

*Sigh*

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Boring.

Yes!! this reminds me of X-Men evolution!! And it was a great episode!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is trolling their own fanbase all Marvel can do now? PATHETIC.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How to shit on 75 years of history by Marvel Comics.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Yup, this is just another reason why I gave up on reading comics and stick solely to the movies now... Too much of this gimmicky shock-value crap that ruins great characters.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why even pull something like this when everyone knows it'll be retconned in like 2 years?

Thats the problem people get pissed, but then people just go like "It will be retconned anyways so enjoy Jack Kirbys creation being a Nazi while it lasts.". The lack of attempt to build new lasting history is just pathetic.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will fly off the shelves!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems so edgy, gasp, it's such incredible story telling /s.

Not only is this ridiculously stupid but it's also disrespectful to the creators of the character who were Jewish and created Cap to be an inspiring symbol. Since Marvel are trying to be overly Politically Correct they've now almost been racist. Maybe it's a counter balance. One things for sure, I will not be buying this or any other Marvel issue until this is called out to be bull.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Marvel explain Cap lifting Mjolnir during Fear Itself?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@nightfang3: @jumpstart55: @superior_prime_maybe:

I just feel like Marvel is going for low hanging fruit/cliche ideas and not living up to their full potential.

Take Old Man Logan;

When it left off in the original series, Logan had killed all but one Hulk and took it in and wanted to be called Wolverine again, so my hope when the series re-started would be a new Avengers started by Wolverine, showing him training a baby Hulk into teenage years, maybe finding either mutants (whatever few remain), other meta-humans since the grand-daughter of Spiderman had powers or even going to more extremes. Venom still existed, it possessed a dinosaur, Wolverine could train someone to use Venom like a suit for combat and make him the new Spider-man, he could then find the re-incarnations of Iron Fist and Moon Knight and then you have your brand new Avengers, taking down all the remaining villains and returning America and possibly the world to its former glory.

But nope, we get some weird time travel story, contradict the original story that was written and get odd painted art style rather than the cool visceral one we originally were given.

iro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cosmic cube probs messed up steve's memories so he think his mom was hydra and he'll now be doing superior shit blah blah… is this gonna be addressed in CWII? is this why steve's pro predicting the future so that he can be an asshat and throw minorities and fellow heroes under the buss?

well! in any case, way to shit on one of your most iconic characters and his jewish creators marvel!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

oh boy.

You know this comics and it will just go back to being the same old same old

~MiB

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a trick he's brainwashed

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xsbrx

Marvel is running out of ideas...

Plot-twist: Steve Rogers is actually the villainous Black Cat.

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SkullKnight

Ridiculous! To me, the fact that they are saying that he was a Hydra agent all along is completely absurd. Stop changing these characters internally. Just put the characters we KNOW into interesting scenarios without changing who they are.

Come on Marvel! I know you can come up with something better than this crap.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If by 'shocking truth' you mean 'cheap a**-pull of a PR stunt', then sure.

djjeezy96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NukeA6: I was just thinking MArvel suck these days because of that shit

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By HumanRocket

Jack Kirby is disappointed in you marvel.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lady_liberty

This is terrible.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"If Jason Aaron can cash in on a bullshit whisper storyline for over a year, I can make Captain America a Hydra Agent and get people to read that way." - Nick Spencer

"We obviously will have to retcon that shit like back when we made Tony Stark a spy of Thanos or had Ms Marvel get raped by her own baby, but screw that shit." - Tom Brevoort.

Yeah did we ever find out what made Thor Unworthy?

Omni_Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, what they really are saying is that America is a terrorist organization.

SEGENIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SEGENIS

I think history changed when Kobik made Steve young again or something

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:
@stahlflamme said:

I would like to know this as well. what was the whisper?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

1/10. Would have been better if he were gay AND an inhuman. Hydra agent is a snooze fest.

Lol

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

But not really...Marvel has really managed to make their stories seem so cheap that I don't really care.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Aaaaand just like that, all my excitement and interest for this comic is gone. God dammit, why do this just when I'm getting interested in the character? =/

*Sigh*

This. It's crap like this from both DC and Marvel that has be buying almost nothing of their stuff anymore. It's a place where I thought I'd never be in.

Nikoleta_Strix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross gross gross gross gross

RockyRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horrible. Try again

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@farkam said:

Is trolling their own fanbase all Marvel can do now? PATHETIC.

yes

@stahlflamme said:

". The lack of attempt to build new lasting history is just pathetic.

This

They're so short sited it's no wonder the industry is dying.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:
@stahlflamme said:

I would like to know this as well. what was the whisper?

It was: "Drop the hammer, act like a baby and pretend this sentence mattered till everyone forgot it was ever spoken."

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By righteous300

As long as the story is good, it's not a problem for me

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wowlock

Yep, Bullshit. Are they really gonna make Steve a freaking Hydra member just so Sam would be the ''popular'' Captain America ? So he was so DEEP in cover that he waited 75 years to turn just like that for no reason ? It is worse than turning Iceman gay out of nowhere. Also how great of a picture this will paint '' Oh the guy, the symbol of freedom for over 75 years ? Yea, he was secretly a terrorist agent all along ! ''

This is just awful and I won't waste time with this stupid sh*t. Not to mention the New Hydra/ISIS-Trump hybrid....

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sbr999 said:

Marvel is running out of ideas...

Plot-twist: Steve Rogers is actually the villainous Black Cat.

Id actually be interested to see how they would pull that one off.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock said:

Yep, Bullshit. Are they really gonna make Steve a freaking Hydra member just so Sam would be the ''popular'' Captain America ? So he was so DEEP in cover that he waited 75 years to turn just like that for no reason ? It is worse than turning Iceman gay out of nowhere. Also how great of a picture this will paint '' Oh the guy, the symbol of freedom for over 75 years ? Yea, he was secretly a terrorist agent all along ! ''

This is just awful and I won't waste time with this stupid sh*t. Not to mention the New Hydra/ISIS-Trump hybrid....

Oh course it would be worse than that. Those two are hardly comparable. The Iceman thing was kind of dumb and forced, but it had absolutely no affect on the character except that he now dates guys. He still is pretty much the same character with the same core principles and fights for the same things as he did before. This decision literally goes against EVERYTHING Captain America stood for and is disrespectful for the character on his 75th anniversary. I agree with everything you are saying, but I dont think the Iceman thing is in anyway comparable to this.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wowlock: Cap only prevented Hydras victory about a million times in order for Hydra to succeed. And yes the Iceman thing was poorly done sensationalism this is shock value not supposed to last and insulting to a character and Jack Kirby himself.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Gee, talk about timing.

Ezekael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sam Wilson: Captain America has been so bad... I was excited originally when they put Spencer on the title based on his previous work, but its become painfully obvious between that series and the absolutely worthless crossover that was "Standoff " (Seriously, every tie-in was pointless other than Cap. I don't think I can remember a more nothing story from Marvel...) that Spence is a one trick pony - good for the laughs, but beyond the funny character interactions, lacks good ideas.

Steve returning also had me excited... but its Spencer still and this "plot development" is just so unbelievably disappointing.

At least Invincible Iron man is enjoyable, too bad all the other Avengers and Avengers related titles are just not good...