FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 230

#1  Edited By FicOPedia

I'm on Windows 10 and Google Chrome.

I've been trying to add a link to Fic-O-Pedia: A-D; just one link. Every time I try to save my changes, I get the "Site down for maintenance please hold" message. Yet, after a couple of unsuccessful attempts, I was able to add links to a different blog. I went back to the A-D blog, and still got the "site down..." message.

I thought maybe I had hit that magical "content too long" spot in the blog, so I moved the "(letter) D" section to the first comment box of the blog. I deleted "(letter) D" from the original post, added the one link I've been trying to add, and still got the "site down..." message.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also getting this message when trying to edit that page (usually after refreshing the page when I get the "site down..." message):

The comicvine.gamespot.com page isn’t working

comicvine.gamespot.com is currently unable to handle this request.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having this problem with that one blog. I have edited other blogs on this account, and created blogs on my cbishop alt since I posted this bug.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FicOPedia

I'm still having this problem, only now it's just a Google Chrome message saying the page isn't working. I realize you guys are busy, and I'm not really sure who to be calling out these days, but @rorie, @wcarle, or @larkanderson, it's just this one page I'm having problems with. Is my content too long? I mean usually if that happens I get a message that says, "Content too long," not a broken page notification. It won't even let me shorten the content though.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having this problem, only now it's just a Google Chrome message saying the page isn't working. I realize you guys are busy, and I'm not really sure who to be calling out these days, but @rorie, @wcarle, or @larkanderson, it's just this one page I'm having problems with. Is my content too long? I mean usually if that happens I get a message that says, "Content too long," not a broken page notification. It won't even let me shorten the content though.

Just checking in here. Still having a problem with that page. Can anyone help me out on it?

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By wcarle

@ficopedia: Sorry it took so long to respond. I looked into the issue. Unfortunately that blog has a lot of markup and is choking our servers when we try to parse it. There's not much I can do at the moment. Could you try splitting it up into multiple different blog posts? I know that's a hassle but unfortunately it would take a pretty significant effort to improve the performance of the parser, and will likely not happen for a while.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FicOPedia

@wcarle: Pretend I'm five lol- what does "has a lot of markup" mean? (Does it mean I've edited it a bunch of times?) :} ...I ask, because I've had similar problems with a couple of other of my ficopedia blogs, but I was fortunately able to fix those. I'd like to head any future problems off though.

I did try to move the "D" section to the first comment box, but I was unable to delete "D" from the original post. I'd gladly split it up if it would let me.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Sorry I use too much technical talk sometimes :) So essentially I just meant there are a lot of elements like links and tables and things. For each one of those we have to parse and manipulate them, and depending on the load on the servers (the number of people hitting them) The server may be too busy to do that. So with super long blogs that have a lot of content, that save can sometimes fail. Can you try splitting them up into individual letters? Like creating one that just has the 'A' section, and try saving that? I know that's a hassle, so I apologize for that, but unfortunately these blogs just have so much content in them they are just difficult to parse quickly.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Yeah, I can try that.

The thing on the A-D blog though is that it won't save even if I delete a large chunk out of it. Also, the other blogs like that are not giving me any problems. I'm going to split them up while that is still the case lol.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: I FINALLY GOT IT TO SAVE THE EDITS! YES! :^D

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Great to hear! We'll still be looking into this issue soon.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: Also great to hear, because I'm having similar problems with other pages. They're not totally locking me out, but it's taking umpteen tries to get changes to save.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@wcarle said:

@ficopedia: Great to hear! We'll still be looking into this issue soon.

@wcarle: Also great to hear, because I'm having similar problems with other pages. They're not totally locking me out, but it's taking umpteen tries to get changes to save.

@wcarle, hi, aka FicOPedia here. I'm still running into this problem, and not just on my FicOPedia account. I'm running into it on my cbishop account as well. Trying to add 1 link to an index (after deleting 78 others), and it just won't save, even after multiple tries. Is the parser still an issue? I'm trying this save at about 11pm Eastern- would that many people be on the server at that time? I realize that makes it only 8pm Pacific, and like sometime in the morning in Australia, but sometimes the page gives me no trouble, other times it does.